Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQN Landmark this winter - when do you expect it

NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

a poll for hype vs reality

Comments

• CamoebCamoeb Member UncommonPosts: 53
    I really doubt that they'll have it out & ready by the end of the year. A beta maybe but not the complete game. Sometime in February would be my guess.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I imagine everything hinges on how badly they need money. If Planetside 2 is falling short of their revenue expectations, the pressure on the EQN franchise will grow rapidly.

EQN:L will come with a Cash Shop.

I'm really, really intrigued to see how SOE are going to monetize this launched-as-F2P AAA title. The develop cost must have been substantial, given that they started over twice. How in hell are they going to recoup that money  by selling "optional" items to players ?

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

I imagine everything hinges on how badly they need money. If Planetside 2 is falling short of their revenue expectations, the pressure on the EQN franchise will grow rapidly.

EQN:L will come with a Cash Shop.

I'm really, really intrigued to see how SOE are going to monetize this launched-as-F2P AAA title. The develop cost must have been substantial, given that they started over twice. How in hell are they going to recoup that money  by selling "optional" items to players ?

I imagine land size increase for landmark (maximum allowed claim size not an extension of the current claim), and decoration....possibly race changes down the road when they allow more than just humans in landmark. That may not sound like a lot but it has been used as a model in other games. 

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

I expect it will be out before Thanksgiving, but after Halloween.  I'm leaning towards 11/13 since quite a few AAA titles tend to release before Thanksgiving, or slightly before Christmas.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • MartinmasMartinmas Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Since Winter does not even start until December 21st I think the chance of it launching this year is very slim. Maybe a limited amount of Beta invites will go out towards the end of the year but I expect a full open game not to be available until February.
  • donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591
    February 2014.
  • MetrobiusMetrobius Member UncommonPosts: 96
    It released the night of the SOE live reveal . . .in my wet dream. But seriously, didnt they say o expect beta this winter? Also, a lot of people seem to agree that landmark is an elaborate and potentially very profitable proving ground (aka beta) for EQN anyway.
  • LizardEgyptLizardEgypt Member UncommonPosts: 333
    What kind of thread is this?

Currently playing - FF14ARR
    Previous games - SWG, World of Warcraft, ShadowBane, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Darkfall, Planetside Asheron's Call, Everquest, Everquest 2, Too many.

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    If it doesnt launch on the same day as blizzcon opens its fail.
  • EnrifEnrif Member UncommonPosts: 152

I have two dates

ether Christmas, its f2p so its a Christmas gift for all.

or 31.12.13/01.01.14 the change of years as symbol for the change in the MMO genre they want to achieve 

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Don't forget 2013 ends 10-days after the first day of winter.

So if I was a betting man.....

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    I expect it to be the latest date in this winter. Hyping EQN as close as possible to release of Wildstar and ESO would be logical. Releasing it at xmas would be the worst thing they could do imo.
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Actually I think financially it would be best to launch it as soon as possible, as the MMO gamers in the western world are pretty much in a void right now, when new games are concerned. Yes there is FFXIV, but it's not "new" in the full sense of the words and it's also much of the same old, which a lot of us are bored to tears with already.

The further we go the closer we come towards TESO, Wildstar and possibly ArcheAge and those games will already be fighting of the limited amount of paying MMO customers out there. Especially when at least the two first of them are confirmed to be sub based. A sub based game practically "forces" you to play it exclusively, as otherwise you will be "wasting" money.

• fizzlesticksfizzlesticks Member Posts: 45
    At SoE Live they said by the end of the year. So somewhere in the 12/21-12/31 range. My guess is the 29th.
  • RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711
    Originally posted by Rockniss
    If it doesnt launch on the same day as blizzcon opens its fail.

With "Titan" being scrapped/redone, I disagree.  SOE has a leg up on Blizzard because they changed directions a while ago.  Blizzard just recently took that route.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • MightykingMightyking Member UncommonPosts: 235

Smed actually said "You will have something to play with winter THIS year". This year in my book ends december 31st 2013, so launch somewhere before that. But then again I wouldn't be surprised if he thinks he can get away with calling the extent of the winter in 2014, as being the winter of 2013, since that's when that winter started. :)

Oh and sidefact: meteorological winter starts december 1st and lasts to march 1st.

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

They said Winter. And they commited themself already to much. They already mentioned that they will release EQNL with not all features ready(maybe), like combat, like pvp, or like some unannounced features.

So i picked winter.(before march 20th) I doubt it will release within 2013.. Januar or February are much more realistic. By the way usually 3 month before release you announce the exact release day. (although it is mostly for games with box sales, which is not the case for EQNL.. so it may differ)

• EnrifEnrif Member UncommonPosts: 152

actually it would be good if they don't announce a date at all until its launched. With that they could avoid the day 1 problems all MMOs have.

normally a date is set and then hundreds of thousands of player want to log in all at the same time. servers can't keep up. Last example of that was the FF14:ARR relaunch. 

But if they make a silent launch, the people will part by part enter the servers. The dedicated who look day after day for them will be rewarded with "earlier access" instead of the people who take free days for the launch to get as far ahead then the others, only to drop after they reached the "endgame" after two weeks (i know,there is no endgame in sandboxes).

• Princess.ClaudePrincess.Claude Member UncommonPosts: 65
    In the presentation for eq:next smidley rounds it up in the end,  by saying  "landmark will be released later THIS year" so it might be december 31, but it'll be this year.
  • GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828

Because if there is one man we can trust in it's the Smed...

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

The fact they've gone out of the way to go on record more than once saying "this year" means they obviously want to release it this year.   Doesn't guarantee it'll happen of course, but I'm sure that's the plan.

Still almost 3 months left in the year so I can see it.  If nothing else they'll launch it as a pretty barebones builder with some gathering to start, then be adding more of the other features as time goes on.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Im going to say Novermber 20-25th
  • Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Sometime in December. There is a complete lack of quality MMORPG on the horizon so they have some motivation to get it out. I assume that the structure for the game is finished and in use for building EQ:N already. Since it is free it doesn't have to be feature complete or anything.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Hopefully December 20
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    they said its going to be out before end of 2013,itl be probably but just building-limited game.