Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: A Realm Revitalized

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

How does mmorpg define innovation? FF was given a 7, but then Wushu was given a 7 also.. Is innovation solely based on the reviewer's opinion?

No knock on FF, it is what it is, and FF fans are happy for it, but there's certainly a magnitude of difference in the innovation department between these two games.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827
    Originally posted by bcbully

How does mmorpg define innovations? FF was given a 7, but then Wushu was given a 7 also.. Is innovation solely based on the reviewers opinions?

No knock on FF, it is what it is, and FF fans are happy for it, but there's certainly a magnitude of difference in the innovation department between these two games.

I get the feeling they make them up as they go along with no standardization rhyme nor reason.

These types of articles are certainly not in danger of being confused with a consumer report or a car and driver article.  :D

EDIT if this was a car review it would read IT LOOKS GREAT the upholstery is top notch, it gets the same mileage and provides the same features as it's competitors(innovation), it looks like a Ferrari but drives like an out of tune Pinto(gameplay) we give it 4 out of 5 stars....uh what?

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Originally posted by DMKano

Aesthetics IMO should be 9 (textures are really bad in some spots - no way this deserves 10) longevity should be 8 - social 7.

Innovation 7? Why? IMO should be 6.

Overall the score IMO is around 7.3, again the game was scored too generous.

Its a good game just scored about 1 point too high.

While there is a difference between aesthetics and graphics, I would have to agree that some of the poor textures should affect the scoring of that a little. 

But yeah, as of right now, I agree, ~7.5 would have been more accurate, IMHO. We'll see how things go after 2.1 drops I suppose.

• psychosiszzpsychosiszz Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Bit of a high score. I was bored of the game by Level 40. The storyline was rubbish, quests boring and the game was just too easy. The crafting system was fun, but pointless as the items you get from dungeons and quests are better. End game is just PVE raiding.
  • HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    Originally posted by psychosiszz
    Bit of a high score. I was bored of the game by Level 40. The storyline was rubbish, quests boring and the game was just too easy. The crafting system was fun, but pointless as the items you get from dungeons and quests are better. End game is just PVE raiding.

Aye, I agree. They really should use two different metrics for their reviews.

1. The general score, for everyone out there.

2. The MMO gamer score, 3 points lower at least.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724
    It's a nice game, but really not to pay for....

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

to those curious abt the game.

yes FF has a huge legacy following. but if your looking for the same look and feel.

TERA  gives them a run for their money literally as its F2p.

• SagremorSagremor Member Posts: 24

FF14 is a nice game but not worth paying 15$ / month to continue playing. GW2 was a B2P with more world to explorer and more content at launch. Unfortunaltely, I couldn't stand the "no healer" thing as I mostly play an healer class. 

Things in FF14 that should have been there at launch :

• Search box in crafting / hunting log

• Search box in inventory / armory

• A dressing room

• More than 1 color on an armor for dye. 

• Report for gold spammers and blacklist with a click.

• Items comparision (can't tell if the new item have more Piety by checking the tooltip is annoying)

• Item linking

On top of that, the long GCD of 2.5 seconds and the ability lag is painful. 

Crafting is awesome tho... gotta give SE that but it won't have me sub...!!!

When the hype is so high, the fall is long and painful.

• KingAlkaiserKingAlkaiser Member UncommonPosts: 57

score was a bit too generous in my opinion.  Did reviewer even hit level 50 and try game after that? thats were a lot of the complains start coming in.

this game is a solid 7 tops, id rate it a 6/10 myself

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    I kinda have to cringe at a logevity score of 10. Sure you can play all classes on a single character but as it stands now, getting to max level on any job is fast. Also there isn't a lot to do in the game as far as content so I am willing to bet player retention and sub numbers will show that the score is unjust. Either way thank you for sharing the review.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

Originally posted by Rockniss

Good scoreing and right on with that ability lag. I really really wish that it wasnt present, I cant get past it, but if you're someone who can, this is a great place to call home.

i think they are still working on it this engine is pretty new to be honest tho. its even excepted as a bug

• vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by azonic69
    Originally posted by Tissmogi
    Good scoreing and right on with that ability lag. I really really wish that it wasnt present, I cant get past it, but if you're someone who can, this is a great place to call home.

I don't know what crappy internet you people have but i have zero skill lag and i play from Europe. Maybe want to check out your provider.

Dude, EVERYONE has the ability lag, that you can't see it or understand what it is doesn't mean that it's not there. Maybe want to check your IQ.

It's not an ability lag, it's waiting for your animation to finish before you can use that ability if you used a skill before.  It's how they desinged it, it's not like other games where you can interrupt the animations and use all your skills in less then a second.  Some people like it, some people don't.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Hard to review mmos. They are in constant flux. Id say this game has a very solid foundation to build on. Seeing what Yoshida did in two years makes me optimistic for decent content updates at a good pace.

You cannot deny this game has a soul, which has been elusive in other promising mmos. It is a charming world that pulls me in every time I log on.

Crafting/gathering/economy is a 10. Housing in the first patch is an 11 haha!

• BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Hard to review mmos. They are in constant flux. Id say this game has a very solid foundation to build on. Seeing what Yoshida did in two years makes me optimistic for decent content updates at a good pace.

You cannot deny this game has a soul, which has been elusive in other promising mmos. It is a charming world that pulls me in every time I log on.

Crafting/gathering/economy is a 10. Housing in the first patch is an 11 haha!

Sure it's hard to review anything, it does however help if you can keep to consistent standards that are actually informative about whatever it is you are reviewing.  It would also be rather beneficial to separate subjective things from tangible things and weight them accordingly into an overall score instead of making it up as you go along every time.

Frankly if you were unsure or uniformed about FF before; this article helped you not at all

Looks great(subjective); will last forever(personal projection); plays like crap(tangible experience of the reviewer) we give it an 8...what? <---the takeaway someone unfamiliar with the game will derive from this article

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

Several things you somehow left out.

The first one is the very first you see when you log in.  Gold Sellers.  Spamming at warp speed, unlike any other game that has ever been released.  You cannot use general chat, at all....in the city zones.  You have to turn it off.  So right off the bat, you have to take the MMO out of the game and make it a single player game.  Your screen will scroll by so fast with /shouts and /tells and you cannot even right click to ignore the person.  You cannot scroll up, because the new shout takes you right to the end of the text.  There is a way to add them to the blacklist, but it is not easy and they just make a new character in 5 minutes.

They have done nothing about this.  It's depressing.  It kills the ability to communicate with other players right away.  Also, they could add chat bubbles.  For some reason this game has no chat bubbles...../boggle.

The second thing you will notice is that when (not if) you start working on other combat classes for your character you have no more quests to do.  So in a themepark game where the entire point is to level to max level via quest hubs....you have none.  You do the quests on your main class, that is it.  No more questing for you.  You could do battle leves, but the EXP is pathetic.  You could do dungeon runs, but the EXP is not very good and the wait is a long time. 

So you are stuck grinding FATES, which are nothing more than watered down GW2 heart quests.  They all involve "kill 5 of these mobs" type of things.  In fact, all of the regular quests are "kill X rats".  You have a main class quest for each class and a main region class that you do every 5 levels, which is fun....but the rest, ugh. 

They wanted to copy WOW, they copied WOW.....but the whole reason to play this game is 1) Because its FF and 2) because you can multi class....yet they do not even have a proper leveling mechanic for leveling your alt classes.

Grinding FATES is awful.  You literally just follow a mass of people, and solo the same event every else is soloing.  Sounds a lot like GW2.  You will find it hard to get a hit in before mobs start to die.  Just stand in a spot and AOE if you can, and get 3000 EXP or so, then move to the next FATE, rinse and repeat 15 times per zone.....you get the idea.

The last part you touched on.  The lag.  There is a big problem with lag in this game.  You sort of figure out the timing mechanism with the red circles of doom and how to interact with them with that second of so lag.

They have some technical issues with the servers and it does not look like it is an easy fix.

This is a very good game if you are looking for something for a few months and graphically it runs great.  Actually, it runs really great.

I am not sold on the longevity.  There is not a whole lot of content, the zones are puny, and you will find it difficult to level an alternate combat class.  There are some design issues they need to think about.

Crafting is great though.  It's not in the category as SWG, Vanguard or Horizons...but it is a lot better than every other themepark MMO's crafting.  And crafting via the crafting leves is excellent experience.  Just turn in HQ items.  I leveled all my crafts to 15 to get each class' special ability....it really helps.  You will not sell any battle gear, but you will sell crafting gear.....

Good game, not great.  I will play it until Elder Scrolls and EQ Next come along.

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Alamareth

I've heard a couple things about this "ability lag", but no one in my FC experiences it consistently.  I can expand that same statement to a half dozen link shells and dozens more in the friend list.  It's probably not as widespread as the review hints.  There is lag, but it's pretty agnostic about who lags and when.

In my FC ability lag is server side and its very obvious when it happens as it affects all party members in different parts of US with different ISPs.

Example in dungeon - boss puts a red circle on ground - we all run out of it and all is fine, but every once in a while the game PAUSES for all of us (Roadrunner, ATT, Comcast, Google Fiber - different providers) - after the game unpauses (about 1 sec) we all get hit even 2 of us where not even CLOSE to the damn circle.

This is completely random when it happens, sometimes we have dungeon runs with no issues and sometimes it happens several times per run.

its a bug

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678

sorry but i dont agree with these scores

game should get 10 if its realy epic 5 is average 1 is total crap

and FFAR is far from epic

so the score should be 7/5/5/6/5/4/7

giving a score of 5.5

FFAR is new game but dont bring anything that we didnt saw before

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

Originally posted by Vivasvan

If there is raiding and gear to get then the longevity is 10.

If you reach 50 and you think you still should be questing at the endgame then you need to stop playing mmorpg's.

Seriously. the endgame is all about raiding. Not Questing... Sheesh some people

Except that even raiding and getting that gear is pretty easy to do and takes little to no time. I am sure they will be adding stuff in the future that will change this but as it stands now it isn't hard nor does it take long to achieve raid gear. Since the review is based on what is present in the game now and not on what is promised in the future then I can only add my 2 cents to the longevity score.  If you can't understand the difference maybe you should reframe from making asinine comments.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 627

My biggest complaint is lag in general. NPCs take forever on the legacy server I'm on. Granted it could be my dual-core PC but late, late hours it's not as bad (when server population is low).

Last night I failed an easy grand company leve because of lag.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Thank god this review finally came out so we don't have to deal with the whining caused by people thinking the FFXIV 1.0 score is the score for ARR.

Now we only have to deal with the hardcore few who will lambast you for not giving it 10/10.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    I look forward to the FRONTLINE expansion.
  • KhebelnKhebeln Member UncommonPosts: 794

Originally posted by Tissmogi

I don't know what crappy internet you people have but i have zero skill lag and i play from Europe. Maybe want to check out your provider.

I agree, fix your connection dude or get a program that will do it for you like WTFast or Battleping...

(Retired)- Anarchy Online/Ultima Online/DAoC/Horizonsz/EQ2/SWG/AC1&2/L2/SoR/WoW/TMO/Requiem/Atlantica Online/Manibogi/Rift+(SL)/Lol/Hon/SWTOR/Wakfu/Champions Online/GW/Lotr/CO/TcoS/Tabula Rasa/Meridian 59/Vanguard/Shadowbane/Fury/SotW/Dreamlords/HGL/RoM/DDO/FFXI/Aoc/Eve/Warhammer Online/Gw2/TSW/Tera/Defiance/STO/AoW/DE/Firefall/Darkfall/Neverwinter/PS2/ESO/FF14/Archeage/Gw2

• XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451

I agree with everything on the review, except the longevity, innovation, and value score.

With longevity, the game is extremly linear and many of the aspects are quickly negated or rendered useless or subpar. This currently includes crafting, gathering, and most of endgame as you progress, might change as the game progresses but this is what I see at endgame now. Currently the endgame is also very lacking and anti guild in design which I feel is a big motivator of keeping people playing, the community and guild. But on the flip side the massive content updates and speed at which they are coming means the game is going to get alot of content. The next big patch is almost a mini expansion worth of content.

I would of gave longevity a 7/10. I feel in the mmo world many of the older mmos had much more longevity by design, if you ignore older mmos then yea a 10 maby most new mmos have no longevity at all.

Value is a 9/10 in my opinion.

I think it is an injustice to drop a value score even 1 point due to it costing a sub. Nothing is free, honestly F2P is a marketing term. You are not getting the game free you are paying by the piece instead getting everything at once. Currently the cost to play XIV:ARR is lower then all other mmos out there. IT cost the same to play ARR a month as it does to get 3-4 vanity items in a  fp2 mmo or about 3-4hrs of 50% bonus xp/drop rate.

People need to factor in the cost of a f2p game to play without restriction or penalties then compare it to the p2p game's fee, most f2p game will cost the player $20-$70/month to play without restrictions. Sure a sub will cause many people to not try it that I agree with. But that does not detract from the value of the game at all.

If they plan to continue releasing massive content patches every 3 months then it is sure worth it. Not even WoW releases that much stuff. Have to see if SE can keep it up though.

So lower cost to have access to everything then any other mmo on the market, dirt cheap box cost, free ps4 upgrade for ps3 ppl. Constant large content updates scheduled. Seems like a darn good value to me.

I do not understand the 7/10 on innovation. It is a 0... seriously it is a 0. Maby a 1-3 if you look at crafting and gathering but other games have indept crafting too.

Everything in FFXIV:ARR has been done before some where else nothing is innovating. Even the multi-class system is in XI. The game is a photo copy of multiple mmos put into 1 game with a ton of polish and adapted extremly well into the FF world.

That being said innovation should not be even be scored seperatly in my opinion... innovation does not make a game good or even worth playing in the end. Infact most of the mmos that are claiming they are innovating the genre... the games fail. Innovation should be woven into the gameplay review or other areas. If the innovation is done well it should enhance the gameplay score.

Innovation does little to make a game good, all it can do is enhance it. The best game in the genre could easily have 0 innovation if it does everything else better then other games and it is more enjoyable.

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607
    I personally found the ability lag to be a nice touch. It gives a different perspective on "instant" abilities and makes more sense.

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

This review could have used a Presentation and Accessibility as a meter for reviewing as well. Both aspects are easily a 10 for this game.

It would be also a good way to make out the trolls spouting their lies in the comments. If you give either anything but 10 everyone can see how much weight their opinions really have.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".