Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Why GTA5 is Better Than Most MMOs

12346»

Comments

• mysticalunamysticaluna Member UncommonPosts: 265

Why do people keep hating on GTA ?? It's an awesome game, I've never personally played it but I've watched my boyfriend play it, and he's not a violent bad person because of it... He's always played Call of Duty and mmos, neither of which (dealing with very mean trolls and people) has ever caused him to be a mean person in real life... 

Very nice people do play these games, you just don't know them because of the vocal minority of bad people. 

I agree other mmo players have ruined my experience of mmos, that is why no one in wow talks in dungeon groups ever, and why I mostly only run lfrs and do solo quests. There is no reason to group most of the time on mmos, because there is no sense of a community.  It is only players in the zone to get loot and win lotto rolls over the rest of the group, after that they leave and a new player replaces them, strangers after strangers who never speak. 

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642

I loved GTA5, notice how I put that in past tense? That's because I'm done with it already. When GTA the MMO comes out or is even announced, I'll be the first in line to get it. 

• mysticalunamysticaluna Member UncommonPosts: 265
    I tend to play fantasy games and japanese role-playing games... However, I would never play hello kitty and boring kid video games just to "protect" children, I'm 29 years old, I expect my video games to have violence and death... 
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by BMBender
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    And rest assured, that if our online worlds don't strive to become something more like the famed GTA's magnificent cities, we're already doomed.

And if they do--shoot for or even attempt to contend with 250 million dollar budgets--we're doomed even more quickly.

Setting an impossibly high bar with your usual gung-ho enthusiasm here, BM.

The bar should always be high, and reach ever higher. Limitations are just that, until they no longer limit us.

The funny little thing about goals is the have to be measureable, achievable, and realistic.  Over/under-estimating ones limitations/abilities tends to go a certain way in any meritocracy based organization.  And markets in their own way make judgments on both meritocracy and mediocrity.

EDIT I don't fault modern mmo makers for high bars they may or may not set; I fault them for repeatedly failing to reach the ones they do.

Odd. SWTOR spends all of that money on sound, and ... (omgfail!!11one!!1)

GTA5 spends all of that money on sound, and ... (omgwin!!!11one!!1)

Gamers sure are odd and contradictory ducks sometiimes.

Voice over (where SWTOR spent heaps of money, with no game to back it up/justify the huge monetary output), and ambient sound (which is what Mr. Murphy is describing) are very different.  Your comment would be comical if it weren't so grossly misinformed.  

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by Mari2k

GTA sucks....

I dont want open world, I want story and long cut scenes !!!!

MGS rocks !!!!

I'm guessing this is sarcasm?  I hope it is at least.

Great article, although I've not played the game.  I agree that details do matter but freedom and consequences should matter the most for MMO's...not hand holding and "story".  It's a large dangerous virtual world and I'm a peon dropped into it, I'll make my own story.

Screw consoles, I can't watch TV and play them...lol.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by Foomerang

I feel sorry for you guys. Set aside your console hate and be a gamer first! This game is amazing.

Console does cost money, you know.

People are not going to by a console just for 1 game.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Originally posted by djazzy

Originally posted by Foomerang I feel sorry for you guys. Set aside your console hate and be a gamer first! This game is amazing.
    that would be a pretty expensive game for me, I don't have a console and not really prepared to purchase one just for one game, even if it is amazing
    hehe yeah thats true. so many great console exclusives though. it would be worth it in the long run.

But there area also so many different console platform each have their own exclusives.

It is not worth buying them all just so you can play all the nice titles.

That's why PC exists - developers don't have to pay a premium or forced exclusivity to have a game playable on that platform.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

I want a Star Wars MMO like GTAV, is it that hard?

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    It broke records, but it would've done probably double if it had released for PC on the same day...
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

The article didn't get into the biggest difference between GTA and MMORPGs. The people. I'm not talking about griefing or anything like that, I'm just talking about the impact people have on the virtual world itself.

The more impact people can have on the world, the more likely they're going to interfere with each other without meaning to. The more people you have talking to NPCs at the same time for missions, the less natural they can look. If the NPCs are necessary, then killing them is impossible, or they respawn, reducing the interactive nature of the world, and reducing the impact of the player in the world. It gets even worse if players are competing, whether it's using combat or not. Players will find ways to change the world, or short cut ways in the world to gain an advantage, and the more freedom the world offers, the more likely it is that they'll be able to do this. Just the fact that people could concentrate in one spot making noise reduces the amount of ambient sound the engine will be able to generate, not to mention the amount of graphics resources needed to display an increasing number of uniquely dressed people on the screen at the same time.

The more interactive the world is, the fewer people you want changing it, or the world becomes non-functional. The more people you have in the world, the less interactive it has to be or it becomes non-functional. GTA has 1 person in the world, so it can be really interactive. MMORPGs have thousands of people in their worlds, so they have to limit the interactivity of the world itself to limit the issues.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510

I don't get the appeal but I've never aspired to be a wanna be rapper gunning down ho's in the street and stealing drugs from other thugs.  I tried Saints 3 and found it to be pretty lackluster too.  I may try GTA5 on PC when it comes out to try to comprehend all the rage but I'm not sure I can be of the mentality it seems to be aimed at.

Definitely not better than a well designed MMORPG as an MMORPG, since a well designed MMORPG would be about grouping, challenge, fear (of dying and losing progress), etc.

I guess when you consider all the more recent MMORPGs are craptastic single player games with weak solo RPG gameplay that happen to be online, then maybe.  I would then say that yeah, a lot of single player games do single RPG far better than their watered down to the least common denominator casual weaksaucer are vastly superior single player games.

The main problem WITH MMORPGs these days is that they're not much of MMORPGs anymore and are glorified single player games with weak single player content and optional/avoidable grouping, so yeah, any good single player RPG style game - even borderlands style, is better for single player presentation.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312
    Originally posted by lizardbones

The article didn't get into the biggest difference between GTA and MMORPGs. The people. I'm not talking about griefing or anything like that, I'm just talking about the impact people have on the virtual world itself.

The more impact people can have on the world, the more likely they're going to interfere with each other without meaning to. The more people you have talking to NPCs at the same time for missions, the less natural they can look. If the NPCs are necessary, then killing them is impossible, or they respawn, reducing the interactive nature of the world, and reducing the impact of the player in the world. It gets even worse if players are competing, whether it's using combat or not. Players will find ways to change the world, or short cut ways in the world to gain an advantage, and the more freedom the world offers, the more likely it is that they'll be able to do this. Just the fact that people could concentrate in one spot making noise reduces the amount of ambient sound the engine will be able to generate, not to mention the amount of graphics resources needed to display an increasing number of uniquely dressed people on the screen at the same time.

The more interactive the world is, the fewer people you want changing it, or the world becomes non-functional. The more people you have in the world, the less interactive it has to be or it becomes non-functional. GTA has 1 person in the world, so it can be really interactive. MMORPGs have thousands of people in their worlds, so they have to limit the interactivity of the world itself to limit the issues.

I was thinking this too, and also the type of tech to run NPC reactions and AI without lagging the server to death.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

I bought GTA 5 for my kids and tried it last night.
    But the graphics from the PS3 just dint give me that immersion i need to get into it.
    I know graphics aint everything, but it just looks horrible compared to my PC system :(

I hope GTA 5 comes to PC SOON !!!!!!
    And Watch Dogs + The Devision both look incredible.

The only mmo i still play is Eve Online, current mmo just offer crap these days and they arent worth my time :(
    Maybe i just got tired of all those fail mmo's and lost the desire to play them.

PS4 might just be that platform that comes close to a PC so it doesnt look like games are 15 years behind.
    There is alot of firework comming out on those next gen platforms and i cant wait to try Desteny - The Devision + Watch Dogs and GTA 5 :)

Seems mmo's just lost their touch compared to next gen games ?

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Originally posted by Vivasvan
    All the people thAt love gta style games.

Please go... Go away and play them games. Leave mmos to. The real MMO community.

Gta5 and MMO are incomparable.

the real mmo community only wants to live in their computer life as a knight, ninja or elf? means the whole mmo community just loves fantasy stuff? now im confused :(

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

but its not an MMO..

its a lot easier to intergrate a story and amazing graphics into a single player game with a 16 player co-op than into a mmorpg with possibly 1000s of people interacting with each other in the same game space.

This article is a waste of time.

• iJustWantiJustWant Member Posts: 81

If I play an MMO where the character choices are humans, dwarves, and elves, I'll pick one of those; if I play an MMO where the class choices are soldier, scientist, and explorer, I'll pick one of those.

The whole GTA franchise is about letting people pretend they can do whatever they want to whoever they want.

That might be a sandbox, but not an MMO, and it's certainly not an RPG. 

Not until I can choose to play a character who works for the gang on the east side of town, and another player chooses to play a character who works for the gang on the west side of town; then we'd have ourselves an MMORPG. While you're rolling with your homies starting trouble on the east side, we're all up on the west side, smackin your hos, taking your stuff, and crossing you out.

This article saying "GTA5 is better than MMOs" isn't a blaspheme, it's saying "Pizza is better to eat than plastic."

Ok, sure - but why would I eat plastic?

• iJustWantiJustWant Member Posts: 81
    Originally posted by Rockniss

I just couldn't bring myself to continue to watch the future of America on my tv screen.

It's not the future, it's already here. The lifestyle already exists in small pockets.

I think the future of America is that we'll be like Africa. We really are that corrupt; we've just always enjoyed the comfort of having trillions of dollars of gold in our pockets, though that comfort is steadily going away. In 50 years, people will complain about getting emails from "Americans" asking for checking accounts and social security numbers.