Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

extremely noob unfriendly

quseioquseio stevens, PAPosts: 222Member

from the jibberish thats supposed to be english to haveing to craft or buy everything from players,  hundreds of different things to do meridians cultivate this or that  makes my eyes sore trying to decipher meaning

the games preety nice but   now im starveing nutrition at 0 i have to farm rice or buy it, cook it or buy the food ther5es no npc vendor . rediculous.

The game is ok but i dont think its for me which is a shame maybe netherrealm will come out with a somewhat more westernized mortalkombat mmo someday....

«1

Comments

  • DihoruDihoru ConstantaPosts: 2,731Member
    Originally posted by quseio

    from the jibberish thats supposed to be english to haveing to craft or buy everything from players,  hundreds of different things to do meridians cultivate this or that  makes my eyes sore trying to decipher meaning

    the games preety nice but   now im starveing nutrition at 0 i have to farm rice or buy it, cook it or buy the food ther5es no npc vendor . rediculous.

    The game is ok but i dont think its for me which is a shame maybe netherrealm will come out with a somewhat more westernized mortalkombat mmo someday....

    I think Vindictus might be more your game by what you said ( action combat, not that much depth to it but fun if you have the reflexes for it ).

    image
  • GrahorGrahor aaaPosts: 828Member

    That's the point of the game: everything you get you get the hard way.

     

    It's not a bug. It's a feature.

     

    Of course having better translation would help enormously.

  • quseioquseio stevens, PAPosts: 222Member

    i dont and its soo shallow and grindy to bad its a goood concept but to twitchy to shallow  its just a instance lobby game

    i wouldnt mind makeing food if i didnt have to buy everything from players and im not about to start 2 professions just to eat

     

    and its cash shop is  a bit out of control

     

    and i dont even know how to buy from players theres no tutorial for that 

  • quseioquseio stevens, PAPosts: 222Member
    Originally posted by Grahor

    That's the point of the game: everything you get you get the hard way.

     

    It's not a bug. It's a feature.

     

    Of course having better translation would help enormously.

    might be a feature but its a bad feature not even haveing fried  ratkabobs so i wont die that i can just buy till i can find a source of good food

  • Bloodlust221Bloodlust221 Killeen, TXPosts: 97Member Uncommon
    It's not noob unfriendly.. you just need people to teach you the basics and the ropes if you are having a hard time understanding what is going on
  • GandoresGandores Lachine, QCPosts: 53Member

    Yea..  this is a game for ppl who like to figure things out.  I don't think its completely meant to be this way, but the bad

    translations and horrible tutorial make it so.

     

    Your best bet if you're having headaches understanding the game would be to ask around or surf google a bit.

  • bcbullybcbully Westland, MIPosts: 8,276Member Uncommon
    Yeah wikis are filling up now. You can just about wiki what you need. At this stage though, you have no idea what you need :p Go out into the world and find your play style. It will come to you.
  • picommanderpicommander SolingenPosts: 246Member Uncommon
    Strange enough, but all I've read so far makes me curious about this game. Could be exactly my thing...
  • LonewolfLonewolf DartfordPosts: 252Member
    Sounds like Eve to me, to be honest
  • KyleranKyleran Tampa, FLPosts: 19,991Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Lonewolf
    Sounds like Eve to me, to be honest

    Probably is, but lacks the volumes of user created and 3rd party documentation that EVE has available to new players starting out.

    EVE also has very solid in game tutorials that really expose you to much of what is available, a help channel for new players their first month and a community that will help you (or kill you, part of your early learning experience is to know how to tell the difference) 

    As the lack of documentation would annoy me, I've held off giving this title a try. (well, and my total lack of "twitch" combat skills, probably not a place I would thrive)

     

    In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.
    "I don't have one life, I have many lives" - Grunty
    Still currently "subscribed" to EVE, and only EVE!!!
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

  • bcbullybcbully Westland, MIPosts: 8,276Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by Lonewolf
    Sounds like Eve to me, to be honest

    Probably is, but lacks the volumes of user created and 3rd party documentation that EVE has available to new players starting out.

    EVE also has very solid in game tutorials that really expose you to much of what is available, a help channel for new players their first month and a community that will help you (or kill you, part of your early learning experience is to know how to tell the difference) 

    As the lack of documentation would annoy me, I've held off giving this title a try. (well, and my total lack of "twitch" combat skills, probably not a place I would thrive)

     

    Yeah, the tutorial certainly isnt a strong point of Wushu lol. It does have a lot of in game guides, they are very general though. It will say something like "Life Skills" (professions), then say "Click "M" and you can find a Life Skill Shifu." That's it though lmao. It's left completely up to you how you are going to use these things. 

     

    A lot of the player base are not combat players. In combat situations, there are things for these player to do, like play music, or secondary support, like beggars.

     

    Music is huge in Wushu, it's like a guitar hero mini game. I've never done, so I'd be a lot less effective than a legendary musician due to skill. 

     

    Beggars are used to decrease infamy. The reason why this is important is because sometimes little things turn into big things ,and the next thing you know you have a few guilds duking it out. You gain infamy for killing then streets. When this happens the player constables show up and wait for a player to be bountied. 

  • Panther2103Panther2103 Edmonds, WAPosts: 2,356Member Uncommon
    The game isn't easy for new players no. But it's rewarding from what I remember. It was very fun reading up and learning all of the different systems and just generally trying things out. There are a ton of guides to help you figure out what to do in the game and where to start with everything. It isn't a game for people who don't like to read guides or don't like to ask for help, it's very hard to figure things out if you try to jump in and do all of them at once.
  • picommanderpicommander SolingenPosts: 246Member Uncommon
    Just having tried the game but unfortunately I really hate large overcrowded starter places (like most MMOs nowadays have). An ugly, overloaded UI and the typical asian cuties (shudder) did the rest by killing any idea of a probably immersive game. No thanks, not my cup of tea.
  • bcbullybcbully Westland, MIPosts: 8,276Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by picommander
    Just having tried the game but unfortunately I really hate large overcrowded starter places (like most MMOs nowadays have). An ugly, overloaded UI and the typical asian cuties (shudder) did the rest by killing any idea of a probably immersive game. No thanks, not my cup of tea.

    People look like people in Wushu. They are no "cute" little characters dressed in temptress outfits that look like kids. The art is realistic not anime or cartoon. When you say "typical asian cuties" that's what I think of. Forgive me if I misinterpreted.

    I had to make her look kinda Asian. The faces start off looking pretty western. 

     

  • picommanderpicommander SolingenPosts: 246Member Uncommon
    I admit it's no manga style, so 'relative' (to some other asian MMOs) realistic. But look at these faces, they all look like cute little youngsters. I've seen not a single really old face. And than the female clothings, shudder. Is this a french Cancan dance film or what? C'mon, this maybe ok for kids or pre-matured youth, but for matured players... Seriously?
  • bcbullybcbully Westland, MIPosts: 8,276Member Uncommon
    The outfit there is for the top 10 scholars on the server. You can't really make an old person like the kungfu flicks, but you sure can make ugly people, real ugly.

    Everything in game is based/lifted Ming era china, historically corect from the outfits to the cities.

    But if it looks kiddy to you, what can I say ;)
  • park97park97 Toronto, ONPosts: 89Member
    Originally posted by picommander
    I admit it's no manga style, so 'relative' (to some other asian MMOs) realistic. But look at these faces, they all look like cute little youngsters. I've seen not a single really old face. And than the female clothings, shudder. Is this a french Cancan dance film or what? C'mon, this maybe ok for kids or pre-matured youth, but for matured players... Seriously?

    Old faces are everywhere, school masters, fisherman, coachman, doctors, so what are you talking about? not another typical Asian MMO, it's just you another typical troll. Like BCbully mentioned, all clothings are based on ming dynasty settings.

  • picommanderpicommander SolingenPosts: 246Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by bcbully
    The outfit there is for the top 10 scholars on the server. You can't really make an old person like the kungfu flicks, but you sure can make ugly people, real ugly.

    Everything in game is based/lifted Ming era china, historically corect from the outfits to the cities.

    But if it looks kiddy to you, what can I say ;)

    After looking at some screenshots I'd say you are right and I look like a troll indead. But all these screenshots looked quite differently than what I've seen while and immediately after character creation. Anyway, that was just one single aspect of my posting that was picked up and not even the major one that keeps me from playing. I also didn't say it's a bad game, I just said "not my cup of tea", right? Furthermore, my last post was deleted due to someone reporting me. What did I say that justified a report? Because I used the word 'fanboi'? C'mon, someone else called me 'troll', should I report now? image

  • CnameCname KinabaluPosts: 125Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by quseio

    from the jibberish thats supposed to be english to haveing to craft or buy everything from players,  hundreds of different things to do meridians cultivate this or that  makes my eyes sore trying to decipher meaning

    the games preety nice but   now im starveing nutrition at 0 i have to farm rice or buy it, cook it or buy the food ther5es no npc vendor . rediculous.

     

    LOL, the English translation in AoW might be bad but needing to "decipher" the meaning of  your  English complaint makes it kind of ... ironic... image

     

    "A game is fun if it is learnable but not trivial" -- Togelius & Schmidhuber

  • CnameCname KinabaluPosts: 125Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by picommander

    After looking at some screenshots I'd say you are right and I look like a troll indead. But all these screenshots looked quite differently than what I've seen while and immediately after character creation. Anyway, that was just one single aspect of my posting that was picked up and not even the major one that keeps me from playing.

    True, the AoW character creator is not intuitive enough.

     As for the bias to only creating youthful characters - this is more to fit the storyline plots - that the characters are young enough in age to undergo training in a chosen school, grow in stature and skills etc

    In later versions of AoW, a new player faction has the exclusive ability to craft masks for other players to hide their faces.  

    "A game is fun if it is learnable but not trivial" -- Togelius & Schmidhuber

  • RusqueRusque Las Vegas, NVPosts: 2,228Member Uncommon
    AoW is less about hurrying up and getting to cap and more about learning and patience. It frustrating if you're just trying to get past things and some of the directions and translations are . . . pretty terrible. But it's worth slowing down and going through it.
  • picommanderpicommander SolingenPosts: 246Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Cname
    Originally posted by picommander

    [...]

    [...]

     As for the bias to only creating youthful characters - this is more to fit the storyline plots - that the characters are young enough in age to undergo training in a chosen school, grow in stature and skills etc

    [...]

    So what you mean is that characters actually 'age' during their learning progress and/or time?

    Another question is (and what probably could pull me in if the answer is 'yes'): Is the world big enough to see lonely places once you've left the training areas? I'm just asking cause I don't like those MMOs that seem to follow a strong urge to remind you every next minute that you are not alone in this world. And if so, is there enough content for solo players or just PVP and nothing else?

    Other than that I don't mind if its not new player friendly. I actually prefer games that need to be 'conquered'. I also don't mind PVP but if that's all and the rest would be pretty much boring or non-challenging the game wouldn't be for me.

  • MMOman101MMOman101 Posts: 1,274Member Uncommon

    I don't think the game is "noob unfriendly".  I think it is just poorly done. 

    I felt the game held my hand a lot.  There is the auto pathing.  The quests were easy to accomplish.  The combat was rather simple.  

    The only difficult part was the horrible translation.  That is not a feature. 

    I know there has been some buzz around this game as a sandbox, difficult, hardcore ect.  I thought the game was bland and cookie cutter.  The only interesting part was the free running.  That got after a few play sessions. 

    This is more a pseudo difficult game.  A game that has bad design and bad translation.  People are confusing that for a difficult hardcore game.  All it has is the open world PvP.  That in and of itself does not make a game difficult or hard. 

  • IcewhiteIcewhite Elmhurst, ILPosts: 6,403Member
    Originally posted by quseio

    the jibberish thats supposed to be english

    Sorry...just having difficulty following the rest of the post, reflected by the light of the opening.

    Well done!

    Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

  • thunderCthunderC miami flPosts: 470Member Uncommon
    This is the kind of game where You really need a tremendous amount of free time , espcially at the start. The tutorial blows so You are pretty much left to either asking questions in chat (Good comminuty btw) or researching online. IMO the more time you put into the game the more you get out of it, Very deep game. I dont have the free time for it but if you do i would recommend it.
«1
Sign In or Register to comment.