Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Elder Scrolls Online: Bringing In The Non-MMO Gamer

Comments

• wgc01wgc01 Member UncommonPosts: 241
    Some folks in this thread talking about a game they have not done any home work on at all, and talking like it is written in stone..  /facepalm
  • BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827
    Originally posted by wgc01
    Some folks in this thread talking about a game they have not done any home work on at all, and talking like it is written in stone..  /facepalm

Since a lot of the topics have evolved around specific things that were said by the developer, then speculating on if/then; not sure where your coming from.  It migrated away from the column some time ago as there was actually very little fact just speculation on possibilities witch is basically the apparent topic of this thread :D

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by BMBender
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Exactly. This game should never have been a mass appeal game. Aiming for millions is how you end up with a dead game and a defunct dev company (SWTOR). For comparison, DAoC was the second most popular MMO of its day. Adjust for how many more people are playing nowadays, and it could be wildly successful. Hell, most publishers would kill for 500k solid subs after 8 years of MMOs barely scraping the 100k mark before dying.

You really do like fantasy.....

Second most popular  MMO during a time of constrained options.   DAoC cost, what, 2 or 3 million to produce?   That allows you a lot of latitude that higher production costs now don't.   If they'd proposed that budget to the Bethesda bosses, none of them would be working on this project.   They must leverage their games' ES background to get an appropriate number of paying customers.

While your mileage may differ, no one I know is contemplating getting the game for the RvRvR endgame.  They pretty much categorically intend to ignore it.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827
    Originally posted by Arglebargle

Exactly. This game should never have been a mass appeal game. Aiming for millions is how you end up with a dead game and a defunct dev company (SWTOR). For comparison, DAoC was the second most popular MMO of its day. Adjust for how many more people are playing nowadays, and it could be wildly successful. Hell, most publishers would kill for 500k solid subs after 8 years of MMOs barely scraping the 100k mark before dying.

Second most popular  MMO during a time of constrained options.   DAoC cost, what, 2 or 3 million to produce?   That allows you a lot of latitude that higher production costs now don't.   If they'd proposed that budget to the Bethesda bosses, none of them would be working on this project.   They must leverage their games' ES background to get an appropriate number of paying customers.

While your mileage may differ, no one I know is contemplating getting the game for the RvRvR endgame.  They pretty much categorically intend to ignore it.

While I'll agree they are shifting much the focus from the originally stated RVR style they are still touting it heavily.  Which leads one to conclude they intend to keep it from all indications.  Which still = trying to have one cake and eat it to in regards to pvp/pve hybrids.  Except for the ones using  a 90/10 ratio every developer that's tried has ran into a wall leading with face...repeatedly.

The balance passes alone in somewhat even pvp/pve hybrids always end up swamping them.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    Originally posted by Arglebargle

While I'll agree they are shifting much the focus from the originally stated RVR style they are still touting it heavily.  Which leads one to conclude they intend to keep it from all indications.  Which still = trying to have one cake and eat it to in regards to pvp/pve hybrids.  Except for the ones using  a 90/10 ratio every developer that's tried has ran into a wall leading with face...repeatedly.

The balance passes alone in somewhat even pvp/pve hybrids always end up swamping them.

Oh yea, they have to keep the RvR stuff.  They really haven't planned for an equivalent amount of other endgame, so that's what they've got.  Whether it works or not.  

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• Stone_FountainStone_Fountain Member UncommonPosts: 233
    If you look at the picture of that Khajit and then the one of the EQN cat...um, it's a no brainer for me. Something worthy of my PCs GPU. Add in Skyrim's playstyle and how is this going to not have a huge following?

First PC Game: Pool of Radiance July 10th, 1990. First MMO: Everquest April 23, 1999

• MrFryinMrFryin Member UncommonPosts: 21

What everyone on this thread don't seem to realise is that these console players are who are driving the gaming industry these days. What that means is that they build the game for console and then port it to PC. Yes it should be the other way around but dev's aren't stupid and what makes this world go round? MONEY!  There isn't any better way to make money in gaming then to sell games to 13-15 year olds who have all the time in the world but to game from the time they get home from school to bedtime. 

Now what game are these kids hooked on recently GTAV and Saints Row and is as free roam as can be with quest and the whole shabang. On top of that being FREE to play, just the one time purchase of the game itself. Now you give them ESO which they have to p2p, on top of the Xbox live and comming PSN sub, you can forget about this game having any success. This gen of kids are all I WANT IT FREE, GIVE IT NOW, AND KEEP ME ENTERTAINED. 

But I digress, I am a PC player before console so I am used to paying these monthly fees and understand what they are for whereas the new gen of gamers have grown up on the xbox or ps3 and are about to get smacked with something they are not going to like. Which is paying to play a game they just purchased for 60$+. I will stop my argument here because that is all I need. The game may do well on PC, but I can see it tank on console.

• JasonJJasonJ Member Posts: 395

Yes, ESO will be as successful in bringing in non-MMO players as the Xbox One will be with people that don't play video games because it has "entertainment" features.

The game will sell a lot of copies only due to the fact that there are plenty of gamers out there that buy just because of a name and don't research. Once they see they didn't get the RPG they expected from the name, they will leave. The game is a PoS, it doesn't make a good TES game and it doesn't make a good MMO.

They tried too hard not to be a SRPG while trying not to be an MMO at the same time.

• dimstogdimstog Member Posts: 1

It's funny because publishers seem to think that Skyrim was a hit for the xbox because it was a good game. Apparently, they don't seem to understand that "in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king".

Compared to the hack and slash, so called RPGs available on console, Skyrim was indeed king. For the PC however, it was at best mediocre - largely due to the concessions made by the developers so that the game would be playable also in the console. The only thing that saved Skyrim in the PC was the long history of Bethesda allowing the game to be modded by the dedicated community, so in part, what "could have been" actually "was" when the modders took over. There's multiple cases where console users just went ahead and bought the PC version as well.

They expect that the console crowd will stick and dedicate their time to an MMO - let alone pay a subscription, while Bethesda took one of the most demanding time-wise single player games, dumbed down  the RPG element as much as possible and turned it into almost hack and slash specifically for that crowd - and definitely made a success out of that. I still play Skyrim, but only because mods made it close to what it could have been, not because it was "popularized" and "casualized" for the console.

The interface restrictions of an MMO alone on the console will break this game. How can one chat without a keyboard ? Sure you can slap one on the XBOX I guess, but then, why not slap a mouse also and call this a low-power desktop ? Or is it going to be voice-over only ? Of course, having to be in voip all the time surely appeals to the casual gamer...

Long story short, zenimax is not more experienced than EA-Bioware, the hype for TESV is not bigger than SWOTR and a square peg can't fit a round hole.

• iJustWantiJustWant Member Posts: 81
    I hope this game will "target" people who like to play games, not complain in game forums about games they don't enjoy.

• Hernan01Hernan01 Member UncommonPosts: 13

Well I don't play consoles because they seem just so kid like and cheap.  Consoles for kids and poor people? 

With Wow finally dying now, there may be a larger influx to ESO than estimated.  Ive heard this kind of talk on the web recently.

The only thing I would wish for are the ability for add-ons to the game at least of a certain nature.  An add-on in the form of USER INTERFACE.  I have heard whispers in my ear of Clunky and Simplistic Interface.  If someone comes up with a better UI with actual Hotkeys displayed on the screen and lots of them, then I hope we could add that into our gaming experience.

• muppetpilotmuppetpilot Member UncommonPosts: 171

I think the only real logical answer to all of this pre-launch ESO speculation is, "We shall see."  Just like every other hype-bomb we have been exposed to over the past few years (Gw 2, Tera, Wildstar, and FF Xiv, just to name a few), we ultimately know nothing until the thing launches.  I'd have to say that the beta reviews thus far have been mixed at best, at least from what I have read, but again, who knows?

Honestly, how many "WoW-killers" have we seen over the past five years?  Can you name even ONE that has lived up to that gamer-bred hype?  I surely can't.  And how many of these games have fed us that same old line about how "innovative!" and "groundbreaking!" they are, and yet fail to match either descriptor?  Even if those terms aren't used, the implication is there, over and over and over, yet we have seen none of that.

I think the overarching reason is that regardless of how "innovative" these devs believe they are, there are simply certain formulae that MMO players are accustomed to and that allow them to become comfortable with a game without having to alt-tab to search the forums every ten minutes.  Case in point (at least for me): I have been playing the Blade and Soul open beta now since it launched.  Do I speak Chinese?  Absolutely not.  Yes, there are posted translations online, but not in-game.  But you know what?  That has not detracted from my experience one whit.  I have had a blast and have played hours upon hours each day since the 28th; as a matter of fact, it has been some time since I have been this engrossed with an MMO.

Why is that?  Because it follows a familiar formula, one in which quests are easy to follow and in which I can discern what I need to do by simply following the game's lead.  Sure, lots of ragers out there will say that it's using a "tired" or "old" system or that it's a WoW "clone", but that may be just the point.  Again I ask, how many of the so-called "innovative!" or "groundbreaking!" games have we seen experience massive success?  If you know of one please say so, because I surely don't.

Anyway, I said all of that to say that I'm not sure if the ESO devs really want to bring in so many non-MMO fans; so many people who are going to want this and that, want this changed or that altered to fit some other play style...God, their forums will be bad enough after launch just from the MMO vets who whine and complain!  In the end, though, as we have with all of these other over-hyped, under-delivering games...we shall see.

"Why would I want to loose a religion upon my people? Religions wreck from within - Empires and individuals alike! It's all the same." - God Emperor of Dune

• dgarbinidgarbini Member Posts: 185
    The reality is it will disappoint ES fans, and MMO fans, and DAoC fans.  I hate the NDA but that is all I can say.  It really does not have a chance.  I appreciate they may be a major advertiser for this site and you have to do what you have to do Bill.  Its just to much hyping of failing games can end up to losing journalistic credibility and audience.  Its a fine line to walk.
  • furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

Perhaps all the blind foaming from the mouth fans will pick this title up.  I'm a TES fan and will not be picking this up on release day.  The weekend beta proved how much I want an Elder Scrolls VI game.  I don't want some half baked online product.  Loved the questing and feel and music but not something I play an MMO with a sub fee for.

This game is trying to appeal to both SP TES players and MMO players which I cannot see this ending well as it will be a mediocre product at best just because of the extremities of the groups.  Both are going to have sacrifices on development decisions that won't end well.  Not saying the game will be utter crap, just dubious that it will have that lasting appeal that MMOers want and TES fans want.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

Sure, they have the Skyrim name attached to the product and will attract players that fell in love with that game and are not really into MMORPGs at this time.  This is a huge problem looming on the horizon that they are not prepared to deal with. They have made just the right choices to alienate those players from their game by crafting a very MMO DAOC spiritual successor with little relation to elder scrolls gameplay outside the art work and music track. Worse, they have made a PVP oriented game for a PVE player base.  

It may well be one of the biggest sellers in MMORPG history at launch with initial praise from media outlets only to turn into one of the most disappointing and reviled releases of all time by the players it attracted even if they can turn it into a decent game before launch date comes around. They promised elder scrolls the moment they attached the label. They promised something akin to Skyrim. They are providing something else fans of the series will not recognize or be happy with.

The forum flames will be absolutely delicious after launch. I am not sure which way I'll fall yet.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975
    Originally posted by dgarbini
     journalistic credibility

Never existed here to begin with, as these individuals are not journalists.

On Topic: Not sure why anyone would think it was a positive for ESO to be bringing in the "non-MMO gamer", as those particular types have contributed more to the downfall and sad state of the genre than anyone else.

Non-MMO gamers need to stay away from MMOs. Period.

• urbanmechurbanmech Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Kost
     journalistic credibility

Never existed here to begin with, as these individuals are not journalists.

On Topic: Not sure why anyone would think it was a positive for ESO to be bringing in the "non-MMO gamer", as those particular types have contributed more to the downfall and sad state of the genre than anyone else.

Non-MMO gamers need to stay away from MMOs. Period.

Non-mmo games, aka single-player/multi-player PC games, generally have a lot more depth to them than MMOs. Skyrim and Oblivion both have more to them than most MMOs. Maybe you could explain why you think non-mmo gamers "have contributed more to the downfall and sad state of the genre than anyone else."

Are you really sure there are two distinct groups of people? Because a majority of my gaming friends play all sorts of games on various platforms.

But you're thinking themepark, very linear MMO's. The whole point of an MMO (should be), here's the world, heres what you can do, go make you're own depth.

Modern MMO's just don't include the tools/features anymore for players to do that.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    I thought it was Oblivion that made the series popular to the mainstream gamer.
    Originally posted by nephren25
    I think ppl will be shocked by this game in a good way ^_^ all im gonna say

I think so too

Originally posted by DAS1337
    Only a truly ignorant person would think that Skyrim is the sole reason for the Elder Scrolls popularity and concern towards the upcoming MMO.  What an absolute joke.

And then only one of the most ignorant and moronic person(s) could believe that the only game to ever successfully get players to pay $15 a month for a subscription.  I mean, that isn't even debatable.  It's a flat out lie.  How does MMORPG post this kind of crap?  Oh yeah, it's MMORPG.

Yes elder scrolls series was already popular but Skyrim took it to a new level and bringing in even more fans that never heard of the series before it.  Its like the Final Fantasy 7 of elder scrolls.  Skyrim super charged the series.

The reality is it will disappoint ES fans, and MMO fans, and DAoC fans.  I hate the NDA but that is all I can say.  It really does not have a chance.  I appreciate they may be a major advertiser for this site and you have to do what you have to do Bill.  Its just to much hyping of failing games can end up to losing journalistic credibility and audience.  Its a fine line to walk.

Im an ES and an MMO fan and I couldnt disagree with you more.  I also hate the NDA but that is all i can say.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

You have it backwards. If they had tried to make a good MMO in the Elderscrolls setting, they could have had a solid niche. It's what they were doing initially, using solid ideas from DAoC to make an MMO. There's a reason DAOC is so many people's favorite game.

But now, due to publishers, they're trying to make a half assed Elderscrolls game.

It is never EVER going to be as good as a singleplayer Elderscrolls game. They've rushed in first person view and made the UI the same, but you will never have the kind of freedom you do in an ES game. It's stupid to try. But playing their biggest weakness up as the selling point of the game, they've already lost. That's what happened with SWTOR. You can't make singleplayer games MMOs.

No he doesn't have it backwards. They would have done a lot better if they made it an "Elder Scrolls game" first as opposed to trying to make a RvR game and then skinning in the Elder Scrolls IP.

True, an Elder Scrolls mmo as strictly an "mmo" will not compete but there a ways around that. Like making it an online multiplayer game first.

Playing the Elder Scrolls card should be their biggest strength but it's not going to be when the game is trying to be an mmo first.

All they had to do was make an online elder scrolls game and they would have been made in the shade. You can't make singleplayer games "mmo's" but you can buck the trend and give people a multiplayer version of the game.

mmo's just have bad game play, their only saving grace is that there are other people, communities, etc.

And with the way questing is done in these things, they might as well be single player games. Problem is that he questing is always lacking.

Elder Scrolls players who want to try this game are going to find an mmo. And that's not going to be a good thing. Heck, I tried my first mmo primarily because of morrowind and was sorely disappointed. And that game had a lot more freedom compared to today's quest based mmo's (lineage 2). Had it been more like morrowind multiplayer I would have been a lot happier.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • muppetpilotmuppetpilot Member UncommonPosts: 171
    Originally posted by bazinga

It's a dream come true!!!

Long have I waited to PAY in order to play with Console players!

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

LOL!

Pretty sure you won't have to worry about that; I think I remember seeing that the console people will be on their own servers and PC people will be on another.  Is that right or did I get bad info?  I won't be playing ESO but I do believe if you're a PC like me you will be with other PC folks.

Funny, but the Japanese were able to make this technology work wonderfully with FF Xiv Arr, yet for some reason we simply cannot implement it properly in the West.  Hmm.....

Anyway I'm pretty sure it will be separated by platform. Although I could be wrong.

"Why would I want to loose a religion upon my people? Religions wreck from within - Empires and individuals alike! It's all the same." - God Emperor of Dune

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Originally posted by muppetpilot
    Originally posted by bazinga

It's a dream come true!!!

Long have I waited to PAY in order to play with Console players!

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

LOL!

Pretty sure you won't have to worry about that; I think I remember seeing that the console people will be on their own servers and PC people will be on another.  Is that right or did I get bad info?  I won't be playing ESO but I do believe if you're a PC like me you will be with other PC folks.

Funny, but the Japanese were able to make this technology work wonderfully with FF Xiv Arr, yet for some reason we simply cannot implement it properly in the West.  Hmm.....

Anyway I'm pretty sure it will be separated by platform. Although I could be wrong.

yeah, I agree.

In any case, the servers will be separated by platform.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo

Im an ES and an MMO fan and I couldnt disagree with you more.  I also hate the NDA but that is all i can say.

Why can't you people keep your NDA agreement? I really hate that testers can't keep their word. Don't mention you're under NDA for a specific game. It's really simple and if you can't honor that or have a modicum of self-control, then just don't post.

You're breaking your NDA by mentioning it, and using that to reinforce your argument of authority, by saying "oops, I can't really say, but I know more than you because I'm under and NDA so take my argument more seriously."

There are many who have played ESO at E3 and other Cons that are under no NDA obligation.

Though I also believe that NDAs are silly once a game goes into Beta and you start letting the general public play it.

Seriously, what is it about ESO that needs an NDA? What is so secret that it cant be disclosed? Is there some super special innovation that they dont want other game developers to find out about? Secret Alien Tech?

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many