Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SOE to attempt policing all your online activities.

Comments

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

Just one more nail in SOEs coffin

I was already thinking of never buying an SOE product again, now I'm sure of it

• JorlJorl Member UncommonPosts: 257

I think it's a bad idea

What will be a problem is people don't really understand the word Troll and what it means. It isn't in a dictionary far as I'm aware, if so it's likely relate to a fantasy race.

Players could be giving their own opinion and forum mods or admins could just ban or send out a warning for trolling just because they don't agree with the person's opinion. Happens a lot in all forums and games, the ipeople can be banned and the wrong people with the authority to do it.

• OzivoisOzivois Member UncommonPosts: 598
    Originally posted by Jyiiga

http://www.pcgamesn.com/planetside/soe-ban-players-extreme-behaviour-outside-their-games

“Not only will we ban your forum account, but if it's serious enough we'll call up customer service and have you banned from all of our games,” SOE community relations director Linda Carlson told GamesIndustry. “We do not need those individuals as customers.”

Carlson was very clear - it doesn’t matter how influential a player might be, or what position they hold in what guild: “we’ll still ban them”.

“In our games, if you are an exploiter we don't care who you are, how big your guild is, how many people you threaten to take with you when you go,” she said.

“We can control anybody who's playing our games...[but] if we know who you are and you're abusing somebody on Twitter, we will ban your game account and we will not accept you as a customer ever again. It's not always possible to identify people [in that way], but we take that seriously.”

SOE uphold different standards for each of their games: they wouldn’t expect the same kind of behaviour in a competitive shooter like Planetside 2 as they would in a collaborative MMO like EverQuest. But Carlson said standards do need to exist, in clearly-stated form - and that SOE need to reinforce them with bans for bad behaviour both in and outside their games when necessary.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

When I first read this I was like yay... Deal with them fracking exploitiers and anti-social buggers. However, the more I read the more concerned I became. At what point is the line drawn, who are they to go picking around through social media looking for negative comments. Does it end at their own personal pages or will they go beyond that? If I call their game a bucket of trash and hope they drive their cars into a lake are they going to feel the need to ban my ass from all their games.

It never turns out well when you threaten not only your customers but, all of the online community with the ban stick.

The worry about policing the social media is like those who worry about the police. If you are a regular person you love the police, if you are a criminal or law breaker you hate the police. The same goes here for people's attitudes about SOE's statement of policing.

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741

I don't understand people's problems with enforced social ettiquette. If you came into my home and said some thing I felt where out of line, you'd be dealt with in an appropriate manner. If I heard you saying some things out in public that demonstrated a behavior I would not want to be associated with, you would not be allowed in my home.

SOE is only doing what I would do.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• dorugudorugu Member UncommonPosts: 184

only one problem here how do they know its the same person? and what will they do if they find out the person they banned wus innocent? doubt tht person wuld return

they cant go to lets say fb n demand 2 c th ip nr of an account not w/o a court order mebbe theyre goona try sway th courts to give them tht order by lookin sad?or r they gonna demand tht yu give them access to all yur email/social community site accounts`b4 ur allowed to play?but im sure th competiton is happy wen they drive theyr own customers away:)

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Originally posted by Neo_Viper
    Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

The only fishy thing is the social network part.

Not really. Death threats against game developers have been out of control the past couple of years. The "I can say and do whatever I want on the internet" crowd has taken everything to the next level and everyone is getting tired of it. On top of that there are all the rabid frothing insults as well.

So a company is finally saying that if you behave that way through Twitter, Facebook, whatever, prepare to be booted from all of their products as they don't want your business.

Oh yes, of course, there will be some rare cases where the guy is too stupid. And I also cited the example of the terrorist threats found in Europe after Twitter gave them the coordinates of the offender. But I seriously doubt it will go that far except indeed for death threats. If one does just call a developer "an idiot" or something like that on twitter, nothing will happen.

Also remind a thing... bad behaviors indeed breed bad communities, and a few rotten apples can do a lot of damage, but developers are also commercial companies willing to earn money from their customers, so it's not in their own interest to randomly ban people for minor stuff.

But it is in their interest and you already said why, bad behaviors breed bad communities. Banning a few guys is always better than having dozens or hundreds quit due to a bad community. I think there's been enough proof over the years that a few bad people can cause lots of problems. Being a little too generous with the bans might not be the worst thing ever.

I will never take pity on someone who gets banned for mouthing off or being stupid. If someone wants to go on Twitter and insult/attack developers and then show up somewhere like MMORPG.com complaining about how he was "banned for no reason" after it catches up with him, I will be here with popcorn ready to enjoy the show.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    I'm glad to hear this.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Neo_Viper Originally posted by SnarlingWolf Originally posted by Neo_Viper The only fishy thing is the social network part.
    Not really. Death threats against game developers have been out of control the past couple of years. The "I can say and do whatever I want on the internet" crowd has taken everything to the next level and everyone is getting tired of it. On top of that there are all the rabid frothing insults as well.   So a company is finally saying that if you behave that way through Twitter, Facebook, whatever, prepare to be booted from all of their products as they don't want your business.
    Oh yes, of course, there will be some rare cases where the guy is too stupid. And I also cited the example of the terrorist threats found in Europe after Twitter gave them the coordinates of the offender. But I seriously doubt it will go that far except indeed for death threats. If one does just call a developer "an idiot" or something like that on twitter, nothing will happen. Also remind a thing... bad behaviors indeed breed bad communities, and a few rotten apples can do a lot of damage, but developers are also commercial companies willing to earn money from their customers, so it's not in their own interest to randomly ban people for minor stuff.
    But it is in their interest and you already said why, bad behaviors breed bad communities. Banning a few guys is always better than having dozens or hundreds quit due to a bad community. I think there's been enough proof over the years that a few bad people can cause lots of problems. Being a little too generous with the bans might not be the worst thing ever.

I will never take pity on someone who gets banned for mouthing off or being stupid. If someone wants to go on Twitter and insult/attack developers and then show up somewhere like MMORPG.com complaining about how he was "banned for no reason" after it catches up with him, I will be here with popcorn ready to enjoy the show.

This jives with my personal experiences. I've never seen anyone get banned from a game where further research didn't reveal that they did something really, really stupid. Sony's stance just adds another layer of behavior checks.

The response from the players will be the sanity check. If they are too ban happy, people will think twice about playing an SOE game. If they ban people for simply highlighting issues or problems with the game, people will think twice about playing an SOE game. So they will be as aggressive as the players want them to be.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• CommoXCommoX Member UncommonPosts: 85

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume when they say "Act like an asshat on Twitter, we'll get you on EQN" probably covers the scope in which EQN and Twitter interact. Meaning you can probably troll Miley Cyrus on the twitter, and as long as she has nothing to do with EQN, you're probably straight.

Example being all the trash people do to devs on twitter. Don't like a buff/nerf, threaten a dev, or CSR. Now they ban you from their came for being volatile.

Lately "The Law" has been taking online threats a bit more seriously than before, even the sarcastic ones. So SOE/EQN is probably doing you a favor by smacking your hand for being bad, rather than turning you over to the local authorities. We all know you'll find another way to open a new account within 24 hours of getting banned.

I don't understand why people just can't be civil towards each other. Getting angry happens, I understand, but what happens online these days is ludicrous.

Also last time I checked Oral contracts are binding in Texas, by their supreme court no less. I wouldn't doubt other states have a deal like these.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Ozivois

The worry about policing the social media is like those who worry about the police. If you are a regular person you love the police, if you are a criminal or law breaker you hate the police. The same goes here for people's attitudes about SOE's statement of policing.

"I'm not against the police; I'm just afraid of them."--Alfred Hitchcock, neither criminal nor law breaker.

The culture he grew up opposing had the lowest crime rate in recorded history. And tan shirts. Which might be related to the quote.

Anyhoo...seeing politics ahead, turning sharply south....

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609
    Originally posted by Icewhite

"I'm not against the police; I'm just afraid of them."--Alfred Hitchcock, neither criminal nor law breaker.

The culture he grew up opposing had the lowest crime rate in recorded history. And tan shirts. Which might be related to the quote.

I doubt any of the people posting here would want to live in a country without any law enforcement... anarchy sounds like total freedom on the paper (many actually confuse freedom and anarchy), but at the end it's only freedom for those at the top of the food chain. See "Mad Max".

My computer is better than yours.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

I doubt any of the people posting here would want to live in a country without any law enforcement... anarchy sounds like total freedom on the paper (many actually confuse freedom and anarchy), but at the end it's only freedom for those at the top of the food chain. See "Mad Max".

This.

In my younger days, I saw this very thing: A place where there was practically no government regulation, taxes, law enforcement, no governmental interference in business, trade, or education.

It's called Afghanistan, and you don't want it.

Many Americans and other Westerners don't know how good they have it, when they bitch about all this stuff.

Interesting that you were the first person to mention Anarchy (in any capacity).

Distrust of police states = support Anarchy...?? ok then.

(Glad to be out of this conversation early)

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• ray12kray12k Member UncommonPosts: 487
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by ray12k
    Originally posted by hardicon
    The way that is worded is kind of weird but I don't really care about it either way.  It wont affect me most likely and I am sure it wont bother or apply to most people but SOE is a private company and they have the right not to sell their product to anyone they don't want to have that product.

I think it effects anyone who plays their games. seeing how they are going to track every customer now on the net using the data you give them.

And repost your info.  So yeah a private company tracking you and giving them the thumbs up....

What? This only applies to Sony's services and social media sites/pages, the only people who have to worry are those that have no self control when typing on the internet.

They will be tracking everyone not just the ass hats.  All the info you give then can and will be used to look for a problem rather then dealing with extreme situations. 

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Adalwulff

Why, can you not refrain from harassing people, do you have an inability to offer constructive feedback, in proper context and/or proper protocol (not spamming a forum with it) rather than nerd-raging? There are plenty of things to hate SOE for, especially if you played SWG.. Yet I can't see how this is such a bad thing.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Adalwulff

Why, can you not refrain from harassing people, do you have an inability to offer constructive feedback, in proper context and/or proper protocol (not spamming a forum with it) rather than nerd-raging? There are plenty of things to hate SOE for, especially if you played SWG.. Yet I can't see how this is such a bad thing.

He is stating a fact SOE is seen as toxic to many, this just reassures people of the lack of confidence in this company...

• Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609

Interesting that you were the first person to mention Anarchy (in any capacity).

There's that thing called balance. Countries can have an efficient police force without being a police state. As someone said, many people don't know how good they have it in their home country.

But whatever, this is beyond the debate, it was just to illustrate the necessity of moderators also in virtual worlds.

My computer is better than yours.

Just thought I'd point out that this was post #95 in this thread. Doesn't seem to be getting out of it all early.

And I think most people can agree that anyone who is afraid of this change is someone who likes to troll or grief in some form and doesn't like that it might catch up with them.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Perspective is a plane easily missed, even by the brightest.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Just thought I'd point out that this was post #95 in this thread. Doesn't seem to be getting out of it all early.

And I think most people can agree that anyone who is afraid of this change is someone who likes to troll or grief in some form and doesn't like that it might catch up with them.

Only post #2 from my pov.

And wow, talk about a leap of faith. Non-sequiturs on all sides.

And wow, talk about a leap of faith.

There's no leap of faith if you're talking about not being afraid of this change.

There are already cyber bullying laws popping up at the state level around the U.S. How you act online is quickly coming with repercussions. It isn't like SOE is saying they're partnering with the NSA to get access to your e-mails. They are saying if you cause problems in their games, on their forums, or online in anyway that connects back to you and their games, you will be removed from their products.

Every other MMO already says that if you do something bad in their games or on their forums you will be removed from their products. They simply added the social media aspect, which I am sure many companies already follow and just don't make a point of saying it, or will follow soon.

I'm not surprised trolls are worried about this. They'd have to actually act in a responsible adult manner for a change and they've grown up without the knowledge of how to do so.

I whole heartedly agree with SOE on this and I despise them as a company. I support any other company that cracks down on internet asshats as well.

I whole heartedly agree with SOE

There, could have saved yourself tons of writing.

The ends always justify the means.

And wow, talk about a leap of faith.

There's no leap of faith if you're talking about not being afraid of this change.

There are already cyber bullying laws popping up at the state level around the U.S. How you act online is quickly coming with repercussions. It isn't like SOE is saying they're partnering with the NSA to get access to your e-mails. They are saying if you cause problems in their games, on their forums, or online in anyway that connects back to you and their games, you will be removed from their products.

Every other MMO already says that if you do something bad in their games or on their forums you will be removed from their products. They simply added the social media aspect, which I am sure many companies already follow and just don't make a point of saying it, or will follow soon.

I'm not surprised trolls are worried about this. They'd have to actually act in a responsible adult manner for a change and they've grown up without the knowledge of how to do so.

I whole heartedly agree with SOE on this and I despise them as a company. I support any other company that cracks down on internet asshats as well.

Personally I dont see how anyone can be so called cyber bullied. Its easy to just log off the net... or close a webpage and move on...  But back to SOE, I think they are making a huge mistake by looking for a problem... If someone sends death threats ok I get it or if they beat up someone in real life ok. But for a guy saying someone sucks or their guild is retarded... 

LOL, its to much... To be honest I find most people who have fairy tail dreams of a world were everyone prances around in pink  daisy dukes and holds hand to be ass hats.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Why do people always bring up free speech in these types of topics. You can't really be ignorant enough to think everyone has that right or that it really applies to the internet.

As for sony, good for them for figuring out that just because someone loads into your game doesn't mean they are someone you want there. Internet communites have been going down hill fast and it's these people who think they have the right to say whatever they want to whoever they want because they have free speech! that need to go. If it takes a boot to the ass to get rid of them...then give them the boot.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Ozivois The worry about policing the social media is like those who worry about the police. If you are a regular person you love the police, if you are a criminal or law breaker you hate the police. The same goes here for people's attitudes about SOE's statement of policing.

Especially since what we're talking about is a game developer, who's reach ends at the ability to stop people from playing their games.

And viewing information that is public, and published on the internet.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

This discussion has been closed.