Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning: Death Comes to WAR

Comments

• cybersurfrcybersurfr Member UncommonPosts: 168

I'm not really surprised - I expected this to be closed much earlier. I don't think F2P could have even salvaged it if they tried.

I played it for 2 months beginning at the early access. The only thing I found fun were the scenarios. The RvR wasn't bad   roaming with my friends, but it was nothing spectacular. The game had a lot of technical issues especially when big zergs clash simply crashing the server. The PVE was dismal and needs no further mentioning.

Hopefully, Warhammer 40k does better. As a W40k fan, I'm looking forward to that release.

• jagd1jagd1 Member Posts: 281
    Originally posted by MikeB

Except SWTOR is getting the exact opposite treatment from EA. Whenever I think about WAR, I always think about how SWTOR is being treated the way WAR should have been. EA quickly responded to the situation and relaunched F2P within the first year

SWTOR costed more than billion $ to EA , if they had been accepted defeat openly they had to answered '' who is responsible ? '' question .All of that attemps had been done to save  face against shareholders , heads rolled anyway President or CEO left company .

Cost of swtor to EA

700m $ to buy bioware

200-300m $ to SWTOR

500m $ to share buyback

-------------------------------------------

1.4b -1.5b expense for bioware -SWTOR  minus what bioware -swtor brought u?ntil now . Huge numbers

Edit : EA doesnot even mention swtor name at quartetly  financial reports now.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by abbaba
    Atrocious crafting, lacking endgame and pve content. People won't pay a monthly sub for mediocre deathmatch pvp.

Pretty much this. More precisely, with the DotA-clones flooding onto the market less and less people are paying for pvp - and pve was... weak (nicely put)

And this is why I don't think the parallel between AoC and WAR is an exact one. AoC's launch was buggy as hell for sure... and the lack of voice-over after Tortage was a bit surprise, but mostly that's all. (and the jump to the f2p bandwagon wasn't bring much to the table until the f2p revamp in last December, a more important move was the unlimited Tortage at 2009, at the time when nobody could tell DDO's f2p switch will be a failure or a success... that move brought in lots of new players. Great times :) )

The big difference between WAR and AoC is that after most bugs were fixed AoC also had a couple months length period where FC tried to please the pvp crowd. Class changes at every patch, occasionally full trees were f*cked up by one update, etc. Finally FC recognized that the pvp whines are constant and the mythical "Balance" is not exist :) so they refocused on fixing / updating pve, and only giving new areas and rules to pvp, with the least affect to the pve gameplay. Jump forward 4 years, AoC is still here and making money, FC even developed and launched TSW during the time...

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571

Game was dead in every aspect anyway.

Many more will be dead soon too. SWTOR, RIFT, TSW, TERA, AoC and others will have the same fate as more new games like TESO, Wildstar, EQN, ArcheAge, CU etc are coming. I think (despite i m not playing anymore) only WoW will survive this. Maybe not with its old huge population, but it will survive decently enough. I guess Blizz knows something more about games...

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

I really did love this game as I could see the potential had they not fumbled the ball so badly.

It will probably always rate as either my 2nd or 3rd favorite MMO that Ive ever played. And I loved to play it. It was the only game besides EVE that I broke RL engagements to play and never regretted once.

Its also the only Collectors Edition that I felt I got more than my moneys worth. And I have it stashed away in large poly bag.

I was truly sad when I heard it was shutting down, I got that tight feeling in my chest.

And its still a game I have a lot of passion for how it was handled. I actually kept it on my hard drive for over two years after I stopped playing in the hopes that it would be worth resubbing. And it was, but the fuckers had deleted my account to make room in the database. Talk about a knife to the gut.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• tropiktropik Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Loved this game until i got lvl30 or so and realized the RvR zones at that lvl were ghost towns. Otherwise the game was great! Anyone else have similar experience?
  • jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598
    Originally posted by Aroukos

Many more will be dead soon too. SWTOR, RIFT, TSW, TERA, AoC and others will have the same fate as more new games like TESO, Wildstar, EQN, ArcheAge, CU etc are coming. I think (despite i m not playing anymore) only WoW will survive this. Maybe not with its old huge population, but it will survive decently enough. I guess Blizz knows something more about games...

It's rare for a game to just die.  SWTOR sand Rift seem to be doing just fine now.  Not sure about the others.  There is a lot of excitement for the upcoming games, whether or not they succeed will depend on how well they follow through post launch.

That Blizzard comment is hilarious.  

• derek39derek39 Member UncommonPosts: 265
    I hope a new WAR fantasy mmo is made. the franchise deserves so much better.

Monster Hunter since '04!
    Currently playing: MHW & MHGU

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    Originally posted by jbombard

It's rare for a game to just die.  SWTOR sand Rift seem to be doing just fine now.  Not sure about the others.  There is a lot of excitement for the upcoming games, whether or not they succeed will depend on how well they follow through post launch.

SWTOR still holds only because of its IP, but RIFT (and i m an active player) is almost dead. Not the first time though, but sure its last.

I m not excited about none of the upcoming titles. I had enough of this the past few years. Just waiting for their launch and see. No more hype for me anymore.

As it concerns WoW, i don't know if its hilarious or not. I only know its true.

• jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598

SWTOR still holds only because of its IP, but RIFT (and i m an active player) is almost dead. Not the first time though, but sure its last.

I m not excited about none of the upcoming titles. I had enough of this the past few years. Just waiting for their launch and see. No more hype for me anymore.

Honestly I don't know how SWTOR manages to hold on with that terrible F2P model, but they seem to be doing fine.  I also play Rift and there are always plenty of people on when I play and everyone seems to be sporting store bought mounts and outfits etc...  Rift actually makes me feel like spending money even though I don't need to at all, where as SWTOR makes me spite them for their restrictive model.

Wow has been trending downward from some time, I bet if you go by new subscribers alone just about any recent MMORPG has wow beat.  With WoW not gaining many and continuing to lose subs, it would appear they have been making quite a few mistakes lately.  But I guess when you had 12 million subs you can afford to bomb a couple xpacks in a row.

• t3hWheezt3hWheez Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Hopefully these guys can get a job elsewhere rather quickly!
  • NidwinNidwin Member Posts: 94

Till the end, the battle shall I fight!

Nidwinqq RR100 Magus xX French Kiss Xx  Badlands

Till the lights go down, those about to die, we salute you Warhammer online.

• gunjinngunjinn Member Posts: 24
    aww man I'm gonna miss my twink Shammy...
  • BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Almost dead..what a bull. Don't know what version you are playing but in my timeline game is always jam packed with people. To be almost dead means game is about to shut down due to few hundred or so players left in game.

Please stop spreading rumors and false information. Almost dead games do not release continuous content patches and Trion just released one yesterday and pretty big one.

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,052

Originally posted by tawess

About the three factions thing...

That is something i am 99% sure is GW´s fault. Their entire brand is built on the conflict between order and chaos over the last 10 years in both WHFB and WH40K. So i am pretty sure they were pretty firm on that the game should have that.

But in many ways i guess WAR is the reason EA managed the SW:ToR crisis as well as they did. WAR had showed them how things would turn out if they did not.

As for going F2P, five years ago it was still risky to go F2P and it was largely shunned by the community, so in essence "we" forced their hand on the subject. Especially as WAR would have had to goF2P within a year for it to maintain the momentum.

Not true, the idiots at Mythic did not want it to be seen as Daoc 2.

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • OldMMOGamerOldMMOGamer Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Originally posted by Mishakai
    Maybe if gamers weren't so OMG critical of games at launch, stuff like this wouldn't happen.  Wanna blame someone for WARs demise, gamers have nobody to blame except themselves.

This guy nailed it...To many whinny cry babies, self appointed game designers, armchair computer programmers and worse of all?  weak minded people that came into a game forum and listened to LadYGagAzXX tell everyone the game suxed and not even try it.  After that word of mouth killed it......

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Originally posted by Conley
    Warhammer was really a game that could have used "A Realm Reborn"  style make over. 

That make over won't last long either

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• HersaintHersaint Member UncommonPosts: 366
    WAR was my favorite mmo for a good 6 months, waiting for the classes and capitols and third faction- easy learning curve, easy access to PvP and the Tome of Knowledge was briliiant!  The downfall of it for me was the lack of three or more factions, server pop, crafting, housing.  Loved the classes and their variations.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,367
    Originally posted by OldMMOGamer
    Originally posted by Mishakai
    Maybe if gamers weren't so OMG critical of games at launch, stuff like this wouldn't happen.  Wanna blame someone for WARs demise, gamers have nobody to blame except themselves.

This guy nailed it...To many whinny cry babies, self appointed game designers, armchair computer programmers and worse of all?  weak minded people that came into a game forum and listened to LadYGagAzXX tell everyone the game suxed and not even try it.  After that word of mouth killed it......

That's hilarious.   The lesson learned should be, Don't release a half baked game.  Unless your company will fold next week, take the time to do it up right.   First impressions and all.....not just a game thing you know?   Blowing the launch makes everything more difficult.   You can rail against the nature of things, or do a better job.  

I tried War months later, and it was just terrible to play.   Sorry it's gone, for the sake of those who still liked it though.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• spawn12345spawn12345 Member UncommonPosts: 172

Sad... WAR had for me the best pvp of any mmos... ever

To this day no mmos has been able to grasp me with its pvp, I just stay out.

In WAR tanks were TANKS, healers were HEALERS and dps were DPS. It had strategy that no other mmo pvp could even come close too. In every other mmo its just a mess and everyone goes for the dps because you can kill anything that way. 

But the endgame suffered in WAR and thats what killed it for me. Still one of the best mmos I have played

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    Theres always Rift. Almost the same game.
  • loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    i hope that means another company took the license and make a better MMO, although i prefer the sci-fi version of Warhammer which is much better in my opinion ...

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

As someone who had always been in love with the WH universe, WAR was a very soulless feeling MMO for me that didnt retain me even though i wanted with every fiber of my being to enjoy it.

If someone treats it right, the lore is there to make an absolutely killer MMO (though, these days my tabletop of choice is Warmachine... because, you know, steampunk).  But mythic did not treat it right.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• FonclFoncl Member UncommonPosts: 347

I had a lot of fun in WAR, many aspects of the game were really good. Unfortunately the game had some big flaws at launch which prevented it from reaching its true potential. The biggest dealbreaker for me was problems with desynch, the character not actually being where it showed up on screen and animations not being synched with actions etc. Desynch is extremely frustrating in games and was what made me quit WAR. I believe RvR suffered from the game being rushed, it was still the best PvP MMO I've played, three factions as well as more capitals and more polish in general could have done wonders for RvR.

After having played WAR and AoC I had high hopes for the future of the MMO genre because both games had many great concepts and a lot of unrealized potential. Especially WAR was so close to being an awesome game I could play for many years, if it wasn't for desynch issues I'm sure I would have stuck with the game for a long time because I could live with the other flaws. I was convinced that someone would take the good aspects from these games, take the time to polish and improve upon them, add some new ideas as well as stay away from their bad design decisions. As far as I know no one has tried to make that game yet, the MMO genre seems to have moved in a different direction from my perspective, hopefully the people behind Camelot Unchained can manage to make something along those lines with their limited budget.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

This makes me sad...

I honestly feel WAR would have done well under a F2p model. 

I guess EA didn't want to pay the fees to Games Workshop since the game hardly had two active servers.

RIP WAR.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing