Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Lore Novels

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Last week, Genese Davis profiled books that are about gamers and MMOs. In this week's column, she sheds the light on companion novels to some of our favorite MMOs. See what made her list and see how many you've read. Did she miss your favorite? Let us know in the comments.

There are a number of lore books out there that have been the foundation for an MMO, or were published after or with a game’s release to extrapolate on our favorite worlds. Some online games have more than just lore books to extend their world. They have movies, comic books, and merchandise, too. We know these franchises well, i.e., Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Star Trek, etc.

I’m often asked to list more online games that have companion lore novels—even asked to explore what MMORPGs should have lore novels but do not. The following list is not a complete listing of MMORPGs that have lore novels, nor is it a complete list of books that can be found under these intellectual properties, but it’s a start.

Read more of Genese Davis's Lore Novels.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

i have my interactive lore novels:

issues 1-7...and beyond in The Secret World.

=)

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    Dose anyone know if the elder scrolls books are actually good? And by good, can you equate them to say Donaldson or Tad Williams as opposed to those dungeons and dragons forgotten realms books.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • RodentofdoomRodentofdoom Member Posts: 273

pretty sure Anarchy Online had a book or 2 released aswell

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Poor AoC, an another list (next to Bill's List of 5) where it not entirely belongs :)

I mean all the others (sorry, Salvatore's Neverwinter books are on the exception list too) are merely fanfictions to an existing game. I admit I've red only a few wow ones and Tera e-books from those, and... well... I rather don't say anything. (lol)

On the other hand, The Complete Chronicles of Conan is a great book, actually it was my first Amazon order 3 years ago since they didn't published it here :) a nice pair to that is Conan's Brethren, also a Howard collection. Though for the game it's pretty irrevelant - just as the original books, since Funcom chose the most ideal solution and placed the game after the (chronologically) last book. Howard's work is present only as history in the game (in the form of references, characters, scenes, and memories)

Those trilogies under it are belong to the same fanfiction category as the rest of the list :) but some of them are pretty good, Kern is a great character in game too for example.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
    • EMPIRE IN CHAOS by Anthony Reynolds (2008)
    Is good iirc as well as an anthology of Warhammer short-stories? That's the one to go for...

Also for WH40K Gaunt's Ghosts Dan Abnett is very good author.
  • Juice2000Juice2000 Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Although its not an mmo i would highly recommend the Diablo books. Legacy of Blood was a great read.
  • Whiskey_SamWhiskey_Sam Member UncommonPosts: 323
    I don't know that Myst Online was technically an MMORPG, but the Myst series had novels attached that were very good reads.  You can get all three books in one edition now called The Myst Reader.

• kedarakedara Member UncommonPosts: 72
    I honestly thought this was going to mention books centered on MMOs and not the gimmicks that the game creators made after the fact. You know, like The Restoration Game and other such actual novels. (A game gimmick not being a novel.)
  • warrior84warrior84 Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Dose anyone know if the elder scrolls books are actually good? And by good, can you equate them to say Donaldson or Tad Williams as opposed to those dungeons and dragons forgotten realms books.

I have read both books and enjoyed the story line that the author made for this series.  I'm not good at comparing authors, but if you like the stories in the games then you will like this series.