Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Any classes where you can actually sense your support to allies?

Viper482Viper482 Somewhere, FLPosts: 995Member Uncommon

I have a good few 80's in my search for the perfect feeling class, I just cannot find it. I like support and my first class was a Guardian. I just don't feel like I make a difference out there. I can do great things for myself, but I cannot sense my contributions to allies. Get what I mean?

So far I have yet to be able to feel like I am making a difference to my team, it seems like everything is all about you in this game. Is there a class with a build that shines in this area? Or is this a anti-triad it is what it is issue? 

Comments

  • eliteroelitero fremont, CAPosts: 263Member Uncommon

    run cleric's gear set on guard, 0-0-30-20-20, run 2 traveler's , 2 monk, 2 water. mango pie food, sigil of energy staff and GS.

     

    Every time you dodge it will heal for 1400, anytime you use a boon it will regen allies who receive boons, always keep ret and protection up when you are in fights. there is more to a guardian then you might think, if you want a more detailed info hit me up in game @ Faulty Krew 

  • VolkonVolkon Sterling, VAPosts: 3,788Member
    A guardian that couldn't feel like it was making a difference? Hmm... wait... you're talking PvE I assume? In WvW guardians can really make a huge difference out there... but then again, so can all the professions. But the guardian special thingies (like allowing everyone near you to set foes on fire or give them all Aegis), the walls they can bring, the reflects, the AoE heals and buffs... yeah, in WvW guardians really have that "I got your back" feel to them.

    Oderint, dum metuant.
    image

  • doodphacedoodphace Vancouver, BCPosts: 1,815Member
    ......In other words....which class feels the most "trinityish"?
  • SereliskSerelisk somewhere, NYPosts: 836Member
    Originally posted by elitero

    run cleric's gear set on guard, 0-0-30-20-20, run 2 traveler's , 2 monk, 2 water. mango pie food, sigil of energy staff and GS.

     

    Every time you dodge it will heal for 1400, anytime you use a boon it will regen allies who receive boons, always keep ret and protection up when you are in fights. there is more to a guardian then you might think, if you want a more detailed info hit me up in game @ Faulty Krew 

    If you're talking about Altruistic healing, that only heals yourself.

  • Viper482Viper482 Somewhere, FLPosts: 995Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by doodphace
    ......In other words....which class feels the most "trinityish"?

     

    Is that a bad thing? I want to support my allies and feel like I am making a difference in the fight other than just making big white numbers.

  • nastyjmannastyjman New York, NYPosts: 161Member
    I play a Thief in WvW. One utility that I can't live without is Shadow Refuge. Just by that utility, I feel like a healer. Throw down SR to a downed ally (hope they don't fight back that it reveals them), roll in to get stealth, revive while in stealth. Thieves also have a trait called Venomous Aura which shares the Venom to 5 allies around you. It feels support-y enough for me... plus, Thieves do the clean up job by finishing anyone running away.
  • doodphacedoodphace Vancouver, BCPosts: 1,815Member
    Originally posted by Viper482
    Originally posted by doodphace
    ......In other words....which class feels the most "trinityish"?

     

    Is that a bad thing? I want to support my allies and feel like I am making a difference in the fight other than just making big white numbers.

    Its not a bad thing at all....just a little ironic, considering one of its main things it tried to drive home as a "revolution" was the lack of trinity, which in turn failed pretty hard for PvE....

  • MeowheadMeowhead New Carlisle, INPosts: 3,716Member

    Almost all classes, you can sense your support if you know what to look for, and what to do.

    A prime and recent example of guardians supporting is their projectile reflecting attacks in the fractal with the harpies.

    They fire an attack that if it hits you WILL kill you (By knocking you off the little pads you're jumping on).  Guardian can stack all sorts of projectile reflects, and reflect the attack straight back to the harpy.  Not just once, but repeatedly saving the life of party members.  Sometimes more than one at a time, since I've seen that attack wipe a party before with bad placement. :P

    As a power based necromancer, I can still do vital team support, with a properly placed well of power, cleansing conditions from my whole team and turning them into boons, or a blind well blinding enemies for five seconds.  At certain critical moments I can even do up to twenty seconds of blind/chill/poison and save the whole group from what would otherwise be too many attacks.

    ... and properly timed fears can allow an otherwise unsuccessful rez to happen, or keep people alive for all sorts of reasons.

    And that's as a non-support oriented necromancer.  You just have to know the game and understand where your contributions are vital to the survival or efficiency of others.

  • eliteroelitero fremont, CAPosts: 263Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Serelisk
    Originally posted by elitero

    run cleric's gear set on guard, 0-0-30-20-20, run 2 traveler's , 2 monk, 2 water. mango pie food, sigil of energy staff and GS.

     

    Every time you dodge it will heal for 1400, anytime you use a boon it will regen allies who receive boons, always keep ret and protection up when you are in fights. there is more to a guardian then you might think, if you want a more detailed info hit me up in game @ Faulty Krew 

    If you're talking about Altruistic healing, that only heals yourself.

    Ahh yea I think I have that mixed up with symbols. 

  • KenaoshiKenaoshi Porto AlegrePosts: 1,019Member Uncommon

    Dude, sorry, but i have to ask specifically what PVE content are you doing.

    I do feel the same when i bring my guard to COF since its a more zergy dungeon.

    But really the same CANNOT be done doing COE or Arath or Fractals, especially high level fractals, 40+ fractals and Guardians are the new romance in the air.

    Or maybe u have not yet found a build your comfortable with?

    now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

  • KalestonKaleston TrinecPosts: 173Member
    Originally posted by Viper482

    I have a good few 80's in my search for the perfect feeling class, I just cannot find it. I like support and my first class was a Guardian. I just don't feel like I make a difference out there. I can do great things for myself, but I cannot sense my contributions to allies. Get what I mean?

    So far I have yet to be able to feel like I am making a difference to my team, it seems like everything is all about you in this game. Is there a class with a build that shines in this area? Or is this a anti-triad it is what it is issue? 

    For support purposes I'm playing staff elementalist. You got many fields, you can have few blasts and you can buff people around you by switching attunements nicely. When traited, you can also effectively remove conditions on your party. I can tell you, I feel very big difference when playing this character. I even got a few compliments from people about "nice healing" :)

    Just one thing though... There is nothing like healer in GW2. Your support means healing/"debuffing"/"buffing". Also even if you''re a support, you are still to do damage. I like staff elementalist, because sometimes you can do multiple things at the same time. For example throw fire field near enemy, blast on it, so everyone around you get stacks of might. Or you can throw ice field to slow down enemy + blast it for ice shield on your team. Not mentioning your team can use those fields to trigger their finishers.

    Guardian feels more like WoW paladin. Not exactly a healer, more like tank/protector/healer. Elementalists actually feels a lot like a WoW druid. You don't have shapeshifts, but different attunements have very different tools from damage, to control, to healing.

    P.S. Played priest and druid whole my 4 year long WoW carrier :)

  • NaqajNaqaj Frankfurt am MainPosts: 1,673Member

    I understand the disconnect in perception. With everyone being ultimately responsible for his own survival, the fact that you, for example, supplied your party with 100% uptime of protection boon may seem insignificant. Once you really dig into the mechanics, you'll understand it's anything but. 

    The advantage of the trinity is that the participation of the individual roles is blindingly obvious to everyone. Without the trinity, you need to have a deep enough understanding of the combat mechanics to understand the value of your teammates actions.

  • KalestonKaleston TrinecPosts: 173Member
    Originally posted by Naqaj

    I understand the disconnect in perception. With everyone being ultimately responsible for his own survival, the fact that you, for example, supplied your party with 100% uptime of protection boon may seem insignificant. Once you really dig into the mechanics, you'll understand it's anything but. 

    The advantage of the trinity is that the participation of the individual roles is blindingly obvious to everyone. Without the trinity, you need to have a deep enough understanding of the combat mechanics to understand the value of your teammates actions.

    I think the best way to show this is to go into dungeon in party where your support character is not (and possibly party doesn't have any support character at all). After this, try similar scenario with your support character. You will see tremendous difference in your teammates survival. It helps if you try this in a bit more difficult content, so that support is actually needed.

  • Viper482Viper482 Somewhere, FLPosts: 995Member Uncommon
    Great replies, I think perhaps I was just looking at it wrong. I have been looking into some support builds since this thread and found a pretty awesome one for my engineer.
  • VolkonVolkon Sterling, VAPosts: 3,788Member
    Originally posted by Viper482
    Great replies, I think perhaps I was just looking at it wrong. I have been looking into some support builds since this thread and found a pretty awesome one for my engineer.

     

    Engineers can be a ton of fun. When someone tells them to have a blast, they take it literally. image

    Oderint, dum metuant.
    image

  • ZeroxinZeroxin LondonPosts: 2,521Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Viper482

    I have a good few 80's in my search for the perfect feeling class, I just cannot find it. I like support and my first class was a Guardian. I just don't feel like I make a difference out there. I can do great things for myself, but I cannot sense my contributions to allies. Get what I mean?

    So far I have yet to be able to feel like I am making a difference to my team, it seems like everything is all about you in this game. Is there a class with a build that shines in this area? Or is this a anti-triad it is what it is issue? 

    http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/80672-guide-the-chaosmancer-heavy-boon-support-tank/ [Mesmer Boon Support]

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzgFHN9wbGk [Engie Burst healing build]

    There's plenty more for each class but those are my favourites.

    This is not a game.

  • kragekrage Miami, FLPosts: 419Member

    Yeah Engineers are the best :D

    You really want to show your contribution to the team all I have to say is med-kit with any build...

    When you get a group used to the fact that you drop medkits to heal them for 3-6k every 10 seconds they run to you for the heals or look for your kits on the floor, not to mention when someone is close to dying and you drop a supply kit on them from max range so they can Pacman the crates med kits lol.

    Or you can go with healing bombs, and/or elixir gun for more group healing fun too

    Or you can go with a ton of CC with Rifle, net gun, Tool kit magnet, and slick boot knockdowns

    Group stealth check! Smoke bomb + Rocket boots, or even the Elixir S toolbelt ability now too.

    Flamethrower or Grenade builds and to solo stack between 15-20 vulnerability on an enemy you got that too

    Want to tank? Take PVT gear, Pistol + Shield and at least toolkit and stay in as close as you want to keep aggro (Yes you can tank in GW2 and hold aggro 90% of the time, difference being you can't face tank for too long before you have to disengage when the large monster is unleashing hell on you lol)

    As you may be assuming, yes I main an engineer, and yes I am bias to their glory lol.

    image
  • MadDemon64MadDemon64 Maplewood, NJPosts: 1,099Member Uncommon

    I'm surprised nobody has mentioend mesmers yet.

    I cannot tell you how many times a mesmer has been able to save me with their illusions/phantasms that get the enemies to attack them, saving me from being overrun and killed.

    And their teleport ability, well, maybe its only useful in jumping puzzles, but since I suck at them, I find that extremely useful.

    Since when is Tuesday a direction?

  • MeowheadMeowhead New Carlisle, INPosts: 3,716Member
    Originally posted by MadDemon64

    I'm surprised nobody has mentioend mesmers yet.

    I cannot tell you how many times a mesmer has been able to save me with their illusions/phantasms that get the enemies to attack them, saving me from being overrun and killed.

    And their teleport ability, well, maybe its only useful in jumping puzzles, but since I suck at them, I find that extremely useful.

    No way, that teleport ability is killer in PvP situations.  The ability to INSTANTLY move from one capture point to another?

    The ability to channel a whole assault force into a keep because you overlooked one guy hiding in a corner?  Or to do a mass coordinated assault on a single piece of annoying siege equipment?  Not to mention how it lets you efficiently run a golem army around much faster than they could do under normal circumstances.

    Not to mention its utility in dungeons... like only your mesmer needs to know how to get past the flaming rocks or laser beams efficiently.  Though I learn how to do it anyway. :/

    ...

    ... and that's JUST from their teleport ability.  They're also great at stripping boons, reflecting projectiles, and of course time warp, one of the greatest of all the support skills, which can be used to improve damage OR to guarantee needed rezzes get off in time.

    They're also one of the only classes that can reliably solo Alpha in CoE, thanks to the fact they can consistently get out of the purple crystal he imprisons you with. :)

    ... and their frames of invulnerability from distortion and their one handed sword let them work surprisingly well as a front line person.

    I just don't like to talk about mesmers because I need to tell the world that necromancers are good too! :P

  • dontadowdontadow Detroit, MIPosts: 1,044Member Common
    My engineer build. Heal bombs elixer gun , heal turret [or med kit]
Sign In or Register to comment.