Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My 3 major gripes about the game...

DoomsDay01DoomsDay01 Member UncommonPosts: 783

1st is gold spamming. This has been one of the worst gold spams then I have seen in years. Why, its simple, there is no global cooldown on chat, so they can spam it as quickly as they want. Couple this with no easy way to block spammers (why is there not a right click, block person?) and its just a nightmare going into any city zones.

2nd is are you sure? Why is everything you do followed up with a, are you sure box? You are in a single room, only way out is to click the door, are you sure you want to leave? Is there really that many people out there that is so unsure of their actions that you need to be asked again???

3rd is the absurdity of these traveling quests. I thought swotor was bad, but this game makes swotors back and forth quests, tame in comparison.

Overall though, I enjoy the game, it is fun, its just the little things that a new game should not be plagued by that really get under my skin.

Comments

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

I've only played a few moments, but I don't feel like playing much more. I'll add my own:

1. No voiceovers?! This is 2013 and FFXIV is supposed to be an AAA MMORPG?

2. Asian graphics style with weird races and monsters.

3. Old fashioned questing style with 100 NPCS in city with !s above their heads.

4. 2,5 second GCD? Are you serious?

Guess I'm just spoiled by GW2, but it looks like there is no going back to these "traditional" holy trinity, tabtarget GCD hotkeyspam, 16 active quests on your checklist type of games.

Should've known. At least I didn't spend too much money on this.

• bluemagibluemagi Member UncommonPosts: 43
    Originally posted by tom_gore

I've only played a few moments, but I don't feel like playing much more. I'll add my own:

3. Old fashioned questing style with 100 NPCS in city with !s above their heads.

Guess I'm just spoiled by GW2, but it looks like there is no going back to these "traditional" holy trinity, tabtarget GCD hotkeyspam, 16 active quests on your checklist type of games.

I don't normally respond too much to posts but I felt somewhat compelled to respond to this one.

1. There are voice overs in the story quests in some of the scenes.  Although for me (emphasis on me), it doesn't really take away from the quality of the game.

2.  What's wrong Asian graphics?  Not every game are going to look alike.  I'm not calling you racist at all (especially since I don't know you personally) however, what you said is very racist.  I personally like the art style they have taken.  If you don't like the art style, why play the game?  Go play some I don't know, a white game?  See what I did there?

3.  I dare you to propose something better.

4. I will agree with you with this one, it is annoying but it's the game mechanics they have chosen so eh what can I do?  I like the game.

Glad you didn't spend too much money on the game and you can invest your money in another game that would suit your taste :)

• stevenw9stevenw9 Member Posts: 7

@OP, I agree with you.

@tom-gore, I do not agree with you.

1. There are voice overs, for key parts of the main storyline. Anything more would have ramped up the costs by millions and millions of dollars. Just go see how much SWTOR spent on their voice acting. The investment was incredible, and most companies would be considered crazy to invest that much money without something strong backing it up. Considering how FF14 1.0 went down, this was not a luxury Enix could afford.

2. It's an Asian game. What did you expect? Western themes?

3. That 'questing style' is standard for almost all MMO's. I don't know where you've been or what you're playing.

4. The GCD can be reduced with gear.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    I kinda like the traveling quests. Makes it feel a little more like a world and I'm actually adventuring instead of just doing a bunch of stuff in one hub then moving on.

It's very seem less the way the game weaves you throughout all the areas.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Far as voice overs costing too much I call BS. funcom is not a rich company and everything is voiced really well in TSW. I'd rather have fewer thought out high quality quests than a bunch of boring ones and a few decent ones.

If the entire main story was at least voiced over I'd cut them slack. But it feels disjointed the way they do it.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Gold spam and travel times are a problem for me + there is constant lag and invisible monsters. There is a certain stage where you run out of quests and have to grind FATES or just grind.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• RexOrmundeRexOrmunde Member Posts: 1
    I think the voice overs would've costed too much too because you have to include the cost and failure of the first FF14. I'd also rather read text than have some horrible voice overs, and while TSW had some amazing voice actors, they had terrible ones too. Plus I think the game is otherwise pretty terrible. Great theme, cool story, and gameplay that makes me hate myself.
  • FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

It's a Japanese made game, with the western audiences in mind not a westernized game made by a Japanese company.

Pick up FFXI and try that for a couple of weeks, then you'll see your number 2 and 3 are but miniscule problems. And let's face it, number 3 will ALWAYS be there in themepark quest-hub games, so i don't think that should be even on the list (ps. there's always the teleport option for the "i want it now"-folks, once you've attuned the right crystals :D

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Originally posted by stevenw9

3. That 'questing style' is standard for almost all MMO's. I don't know where you've been or what you're playing.

He's been playing GW2, where the "!'s" are 'hidden' as hearts and "dynamic quests" (fate's in FFXIV), i guess the GW2 style of hiding the exclamation marks with other icons really worked fooling him out.

ps @ tom_gore, Trinity works far better than headless chicken running around mashing 1-5 buttons (with the occasional 6-0 here and there), GW2 proved that (did all the dungeons, dragons, everything par legendary weapon, so i know).

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893
    GW2 doesn't have holy trinity . The boss fights in FFXIV are far harder than GW2 therefore it must be better because we like games that have a challenge not snooze fests .
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by Fusion

He's been playing GW2, where the "!'s" are 'hidden' as hearts and "dynamic quests" (fate's in FFXIV), i guess the GW2 style of hiding the exclamation marks with other icons really worked fooling him out.

ps @ tom_gore, Trinity works far better than headless chicken running around mashing 1-5 buttons (with the occasional 6-0 here and there), GW2 proved that (did all the dungeons, dragons, everything par legendary weapon, so i know).

And I know for fact by playing Trinity games that I enjoy GW2 style much more.

Different tastes. I didn't say Final Fantasy is objectively a bad game. I said I definitely like the GW2 approach more.

It doesn't hurt to check out other games once in a while and remember why I quit playing WoW after GW2 came out.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Ehh what?  I think gear only affects reducing cooldown on abilities and spells that are not affected by GCD.

GCD (aka Global Cool Down) cannot and should not be affected nor altered in any way. Especially since they gonna add PVP.

Remember Warhammer Online? They had to increase the GCD after launch to even the playfield, so People with bad latency could still enjoy PVP and RVR, instead of being owned by People happen to live closer to the Data Centers and having low latency.

The GCD is there to even the playfield. And it´s not just for PVP, it helps in PVE as well and so encounters are balanced against the GCD.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    There's a stat you will get on armour, accessories and weapons later on named "skill speed" this reduces the cooldown.

Originally posted by Bloodaxes
    There's a stat you will get on armour, accessories and weapons later on named "skill speed" this reduces the cooldown.

EDIT:

Sorry my bad.... appearently skill speed and spell speed (For casters) does indeed affect GCD. Ridiculous, but it is what it is.

Luckily it seems to be totally useless as you need a ridiculous amount of it to get even a slight noticable difference.

It seems like 1 skill / spell speed reduces the GCD With like 0,01 sec or something lol.

I am glad, as otherwise you would get serious imbalance issues in PVP and even more Elitism crap in endgame with Groups demanding People to have high amounts of skill and spell speed.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by JeroKane

EDIT:

Sorry my bad.... appearently skill speed and spell speed (For casters) does indeed affect GCD. Ridiculous, but it is what it is.

Luckily it seems to be totally useless as you need a ridiculous amount of it to get even a slight noticable difference.

It seems like 1 skill / spell speed reduces the GCD With like 0,01 sec or something lol.

I am glad, as otherwise you would get serious imbalance issues in PVP and even more Elitism crap in endgame with Groups demanding People to have high amounts of skill and spell speed.

I think that the actual saving on the GCD may come close to half a second (20%) of the total GCD with stacking.

It would not be surprising if this will cause issues in PVP, seeing as PVP has never been a significant part of FF games iirc.

Also, given the game's heavy PVE focus, it would be a disaster if SE attempted to "balance" PVE skills so that they can be used in PVP.

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

EDIT:

I think that the actual saving on the GCD may come close to half a second (20%) of the total GCD with stacking.

It would not be surprising if this will cause issues in PVP, seeing as PVP has never been a significant part of FF games iirc.

Also, given the game's heavy PVE focus, it would be a disaster if SE attempted to "balance" PVE skills so that they can be used in PVP.

As a Monk lvl 33 and Greased lightning stacked x2 i have a GC of 2.19 right now and thats without food to boost it more.

I think its awesome that we can lower the GC if thats the playstyle we want to focus on i have to make a choise to i want more dmg each hit or faster attacks and then get equipment that supports my playstyle the most.

I could be mistaken but will we not get completly different skills for pvp? (i think i read it somewhere)

Originally posted by Doomedfox
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

EDIT:

As a Monk lvl 33 and Greased lightning stacked x2 i have a GC of 2.19 right now and thats without food to boost it more.

I think its awesome that we can lower the GC if thats the playstyle we want to focus on i have to make a choise to i want more dmg each hit or faster attacks and then get equipment that supports my playstyle the most.

I could be mistaken but will we not get completly different skills for pvp? (i think i read it somewhere)

That would be the best solution yes! And pray to god they really do!

Having seperate PVP skills, abilities and stats is the best way to go! As this way they can Balance PVP whenever and how they want, WITHOUT it affecting their core PVE game!

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

@OP, I agree with you.

@tom-gore, I do not agree with you.

1. There are voice overs, for key parts of the main storyline. Anything more would have ramped up the costs by millions and millions of dollars. Just go see how much SWTOR spent on their voice acting. The investment was incredible, and most companies would be considered crazy to invest that much money without something strong backing it up. Considering how FF14 1.0 went down, this was not a luxury Enix could afford.

2. It's an Asian game. What did you expect? Western themes?

Not really. The Secret World did it without spending million upon millions. Only because EA has no sense of how to manage money doesn't mean it is the same for every company. Funcom is a tiny company in comparison to SE and their deep pockets.

Stop making excuses for SE. You have no idea how big SE is and how deep their pockets go.

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    Originally posted by DoomsDay01

1st is gold spamming. This has been one of the worst gold spams then I have seen in years. Why, its simple, there is no global cooldown on chat, so they can spam it as quickly as they want. Couple this with no easy way to block spammers (why is there not a right click, block person?) and its just a nightmare going into any city zones.

2nd is are you sure? Why is everything you do followed up with a, are you sure box? You are in a single room, only way out is to click the door, are you sure you want to leave? Is there really that many people out there that is so unsure of their actions that you need to be asked again???

3rd is the absurdity of these traveling quests. I thought swotor was bad, but this game makes swotors back and forth quests, tame in comparison.

Overall though, I enjoy the game, it is fun, its just the little things that a new game should not be plagued by that really get under my skin.

Those are not really "major" gripes OP, don't you agree ?

Imo the gold spamming got less the last few days. But I might be wrong on this one. Anyway, yes, those gold spammers are an annoying breed. But nothing you can't take care about in a few seconds or clicks.

The "are you sure?" message boxes are a little ridiculous. You ride into town on your chocobo and they ask you wheher you would like to dismount ? What the hell do they think I want to do ? Sure I want to dismount. 99,99 % of the people click yes here beside those few who hit the zone entry by accident. But not really game breaking. ;)

Travelling quests are ok for me so far. I like the music and the look of the zones. But I don't do long sessions of questing anyway so it never feels like it's too much.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Only time I hate traveling quests once I was on the story in walking sands, uldah maps and marauder class quest.

Friggen lazy npcs tell you to go to the other side of uldah maps you come back and tell you to go in another continent >_>

• Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955
    Originally posted by bluemagi

I don't normally respond too much to posts but I felt somewhat compelled to respond to this one.

1. There are voice overs in the story quests in some of the scenes.  Although for me (emphasis on me), it doesn't really take away from the quality of the game.

2.  What's wrong Asian graphics?  Not every game are going to look alike.  I'm not calling you racist at all (especially since I don't know you personally) however, what you said is very racist.  I personally like the art style they have taken.  If you don't like the art style, why play the game?  Go play some I don't know, a white game?  See what I did there?

4. I will agree with you with this one, it is annoying but it's the game mechanics they have chosen so eh what can I do?  I like the game.

Glad you didn't spend too much money on the game and you can invest your money in another game that would suit your taste :)

Sorry but I had to pull you up on this one.  How the hell can you be racist against an imaginary cartoon?  If you are accusing him of racism because he stated that he didn't like Asian style graphics then again you are wrong, it's impossible to be racist against an art style, at worst you could accuse him of being an art critic.  The term racism gets thrown about all too often these days.

As for the original topic of this thread.  I have no problem with the anime style ( it's final fantasy afterall ).  The game itself though I find extremely boring, even amongst other themeparks.  From recycled Fed-Ex quests to kill X of Y & pick up this shit that I dropped because honestly, I can't be arsed to pick it up myself and you look like the kind of idiot who will do anything if it has xp attached to it.  Repetative and tedious are the two terms that come to mind.  From what I have seen so far it should be a realm reburied and I feel that is exactly what it will be in a couple of years.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by bluemagi

It doesn't work with the 2.5 sec global cooldown, it makes you think the game is played quicker than it is and you end up key mashing and getting frustrated.

The waves of quest text is irritating for me... it's just blah, blah... I just click through it and figure out what I needs to be done later. I thought the game would be more fun but currently I'm having trouble getting into it, will stick it out a while longer and decide at the end of the month whether or not to sub.

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

I'll just add my own as well

What I find is OK:

• Graphics are fine for me
    • Old school questing and trinity is also fine
    • The dungeons are actually fun

Less OK:

• The prompts are annoying
    • The 2.5 GCD is kinda slowing down the combat just a little bit to much.

What is holding me from playing:

• The world feels terribly closed on me. I feel like being a "pac-man box". You know, you leave from one side and you enter from the other side. Except that in here, you enter another map...but it feels to closed for me. I find this a very important thing in an MMORPG.

So overall I think the game is actually good, except that it fails at this one thing I need so much.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    After playing GW2, I can't play this game and with a sub on top of it.  Different strokes for different folks , as they say. I just dont get the appeal.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

The traveling quests do get innane toward the end of the story line.

"Go tell Cloud Strife what you just found"
    -- He's standing right behind us - you don't think he heard?

"Go tell Lean in Ul'Dah what you just found"
    -- Seriously, Leon just sent me out here to ask a question, and your sending me right back? It cost me 455gil to teleport here....

Lots of points in the 45-50 story line that just bounce you like without any action or anything in between. It is a bit annoying.

The popup confirmation boxes are there for the controller crowd - they are a lot better than they were in 1.0 ("Are you sure you want to use that ability on this vilekin?"), but they are still there in some annoying spots. I do wish they all just went away if you aren't using the Crossbar UI (and hence, using a KB/M).

The gold sellers are definitely out of hand. If you disable shout life gets a lot better, but that's crippling part of the game by eliminating the zonewide communication channel.