Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Removal of the Auction House

AoriAori Carbondale, ILPosts: 1,886Member Uncommon

Both the RMAH and GAH are being removed.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/10974978/

Who here is excited that Diablo 3 might be headed in the right direction?

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon santa clara, CAPosts: 22,441Member

wow .. that is unexpected.

ebay is going to be the new D3 RMAH on March 18, 2014.

• doodphacedoodphace Vancouver, BCPosts: 1,815Member

Between that, and all the improvements made since launch(not to mention the new xpac), its shaping up to be better than D2.

Most forget D2 was a huge turd before lod.

• TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,215Member Uncommon
    That is unexpected. I always wonder what factors made them change course for such a major component of the game. Was it that the money made wasn't worth the hassle of managing that system? Did it degrade game play so dramatically that they felt it lost players or box sales?
  • AoriAori Carbondale, ILPosts: 1,886Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Ebay actively removes virtual good listings.

• KrematoryKrematory TVNPosts: 542Member Uncommon
    Good move into the right direction indeed. I'll probably will be playing some Diablo 3 when the new xpac launches.

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• AoriAori Carbondale, ILPosts: 1,886Member Uncommon
    LOD 2.0 :)
  • Stone_FountainStone_Fountain Berkley, MIPosts: 226Member Uncommon
    I completely agree.

First PC Game: Pool of Radiance July 10th, 1990. First MMO: Everquest April 23, 1999

Originally posted by Krematory
    Good move into the right direction indeed. I'll probably will be playing some Diablo 3 when the new xpac launches.

Yeah.. i will play it regardless, but this may shape up to even a better game.

I guess no more of those who run around with 30000000 dps.

• ZzadZzad Palma de MallorcaPosts: 1,332Member Uncommon
    Awesome and totally unspected news!!! The only con is that we have to wait 6 months... This and the upcoming expansion with the loot system 2.0 will surely bring me back yo Diablo 3!
    -
    Originally posted by Zzad
    Awesome and totally unspected news!!! The only con is that we have to wait 6 months... This and the upcoming expansion with the loot system 2.0 will surely bring me back yo Diablo 3! -

Taking a break is not a bad thing though. I think loot 2.0 will work best with the new expansion, and i am also looking forward to the new paragon system.

• StonesDKStonesDK SomewherePosts: 1,805Member
    Looks like I'll be buying the xpac afterall. There will be people hating this change but honestly this will be a welcome change for most.
  • baphametbaphamet omaha, NEPosts: 2,838Member Uncommon

i have mixed feelings about this.

i don't see why they are getting rid of the gold AH to be honest. actually i do, because it forces people to grind endlessly for the stuff they need rather than easily buying it with the gold they earned on the AH.

basically, instead of quitting after you get really good gear and needing 100's of million of gold to upgrade, they are making it harder to gear up even the mid grade gears.

yeah you can still trade with players like you could in D2 and yeah that is a win for the D3 community, but it will be a time sink just trading for the items you want.

i think it would have been better had they just gotten rid of the RMAH and left it at that IMO

that's what hardcore is like right now and its perfect for me. but whatever, i am happy they are trying to improve the game and make their fans happy, at least some of them.

by the way, i didn't know there was a new xpack coming, all i want to know is.......will it have real pvp?

• KyleranKyleran Tampa, FLPosts: 20,008Member Uncommon

I was going to come on here and tell you it will never happen.....

Whoops, shows you what I know.  image

/salute to Blizzard for doing what I think is a good move.

In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.
    "I don't have one life, I have many lives" - Grunty
    Still currently "subscribed" to EVE, and only EVE!!!
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by baphamet

i have mixed feelings about this.

i don't see why they are getting rid of the gold AH to be honest. actually i do, because it forces people to grind endlessly for the stuff they need rather than easily buying it with the gold they earned on the AH.

basically, instead of quitting after you get really good gear and needing 100's of million of gold to upgrade, they are making it harder to gear up even the mid grade gears.

No, they are changing the drop rate & the quality of the drops (i.e. Loot 2.0).

If they don't take out the gAH, you probably can buy almost high end stuff with only a little gold, not unlike today. That is because stuff don't get destroyed .. so things always get cheaper.

Don't you see all the "budget guide" ... that is going to continue if they do not take out the gAh too.

Originally posted by Kyleran

I was going to come on here and tell you it will never happen.....

Whoops, shows you what I know.  image

/salute to Blizzard for doing what I think is a good move.

well .. it caught me by surprise too. I thought they are going to "fix" the loot issue only with account bound stuff.

• Lex_TalionesLex_Taliones Wakonda, SDPosts: 38Member
    While I agree that removal of the auction house does bring the game closer to what I would like it to be, I can't help thinking that's it's a bit unfair.  The auction house was one of the features they were advertising to sell the game.  So anyone who really wanted it as part of the mechanics and bought the game is now being told "Sorry we told you you could have this, because now we're taking it away.  Thanks for your money though.".  Also, will there be some kind of compensation for players who dumped $$ into the auction house?  Even if they converted everything into in-game currency, what are they going to spend it on?  There's no auction house to buy items from.  The merchants sell crap in the game.  You can only use so many potions.  You can't buy gems anywhere except in the AH and you can't buy materials for crafting.

• PalebanePalebane Tucson, AZPosts: 3,225Member

I find it hard to believe they are taking it out in order to send the game in the right direction. That sounds to me like something you'd say to build up hype. More likely they are doing it because it doesn't make them enough money.

Personally, I like the auction house. I've always enjoyed the market side of online RPGs, and Diablo 3 had a pretty decent system and UI for trading stuff. I'll likely be going back to pick up some upgrades before they decide to shut it down.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• TalRashaTalRasha GroningenPosts: 827Member
    Originally posted by Palebane

I find it hard to believe they are taking it out in order to send the game in the right direction. That sounds to me like something you'd say to build up hype. More likely they are doing it because it doesn't make them enough money.

Personally, I like the auction house. I've always enjoyed the market side of online RPGs, and Diablo 3 had a pretty decent system and UI for trading stuff. I'll likely be going back to pick up some upgrades before they decide to shut it down.

2 handed swords in the game don't make them money either, but they don't take those items out.

I don't see why people think it's likely that "not making enough money" is a reason for taking a feature out of a game. Or do you mean to say that you think the AH actually cost money for Blizzard?

• AlthewiseguyAlthewiseguy DumfriesPosts: 108Member
    Ballsy move. Arguably should have happened in the first year. But I am impressed they are doing it. 
    Originally posted by Lex_Taliones
    While I agree that removal of the auction house does bring the game closer to what I would like it to be, I can't help thinking that's it's a bit unfair.  The auction house was one of the features they were advertising to sell the game.

Not anymore.

You don't think people can actually read a website before buying it?

• PalebanePalebane Tucson, AZPosts: 3,225Member
    Originally posted by TalRasha

2 handed swords in the game don't make them money either, but they don't take those items out.

I don't see why people think it's likely that "not making enough money" is a reason for taking a feature out of a game. Or do you mean to say that you think the AH actually cost money for Blizzard?

2 handed swords in the game could make them money.  And if they were in there and not making money, I could see them taking them out. Yes, I think running the AH actually costs the company money to police and maintain. Probably more money than it brings in now that less people are actually using the RMAH, which means less of a cut the company is taking as a whole.

They are getting ready to release an expansion. They were probably thinking to themselves, "what was the biggest gripe that people had to buying the game in the first place?" Lets take that out for the expansion to try and sell more copies." Yes its a fairly ridiculous conspiracy theory, and I admit that. Still, I can't help but wonder. Seriously, why take it out now? Because the game has a new director?

Using the AH to get upgrades has always been the players' choice. It doesn't take anything away from the Diablo experience if people choose not to use it. The only reason I can think of why they would honestly take it out now, is because it's not making them enough money.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

2 handed swords in the game could make them money. 

Uh where do you get that?

The only 2H weapon that is worth anything is a SKORN (and manticore for the DH). And even that is not worth much unless you have an extremely good roll.

• jesteralwaysjesteralways ChittagongPosts: 1,040Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Even though i do not agree with most of your opinion, i agree with you on this. I will love to see how blizzard counters the scammers and ebay sellers. 

i want an open world, no phasing, no instancing.i want meaningful owpvp.i want player driven economy.i want meaningful crafting.i want awesome exploration, a sense of thrill.i want ow housing with a meaningful effect on my entire gameplay experience, not just some instanced crap.i want all of these free of cost, i don't wanna pay you a cent, game devs can eat grass and continue developing game for me.
    Seems like that is the current consensus of western mmo players.

• Demmi77Demmi77 philly, PAPosts: 225Member

i played on pc and quit , and actively play on my ps3.

The AH made diablo 3 what it is in terms of gear. One of the main reasons everything was junk, was because of just how accesable everything was on the AH.

Im using weapons and builds i'd htought i'd never use on ps3 and enjoying it so much more. I trade from time to time and almost always do online but all in all this is a great move.

Diablo 3 is moving back into what made it such a great name, hopefully they turn it into a great game. Console is absolutely amazing and almost like a different game.

• laseritlaserit Vancouver, BCPosts: 1,951Member Uncommon

I sincerely hope that Blizzard has learned a lesson that they will use in development in all they're future games.

Is Blizzard still going to add PVP? I sure couldn't see it not being P2W if the RMAH was still going to be in place.

As far as people going to Ebay or where ever for some RMT. If they go out of their way to spend real money on pixi dust, it's their own dumbass problem if they get scammed and  ripped off.

"If you make an ass out of yourself, there will always be someone to ride you." - Bruce Lee