Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guilds, what happened to them.

Comments

• KyarraKyarra Member UncommonPosts: 789

The best social guild I belonged to was in a very social game, Star Wars Galaxies. When we first got to have a guild house in a city, we used to hang out in town and do naked pvp against each other, or do Boss runs, or just PVP together. There was so many things you could do in a game that wasn't solo to end game without talking to anyone unless you had to. You had to ask the smuggler to slice your weapon, the medic to buff you etc.

Today's games, I have yet to find a good guild (other than the mega guilds which I have been apart of). No one talks in guild chat, or are on team speak. They are too busy grinding for end game so they can raid. But wait, the rest of the guild is raiding too, but not with the guild, but with other players lol.

Nostalgia sucks.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by DrCokePepsi

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Originally posted by hyllstarter Since most MMO's are now single player games and most people dont play a MMo for more then 90 days anymore. That might have something to do with it. Funny thing is I am in a guild we just dont have a game to play right now.
    Why would that be a problem? The whole guild can move to another game, or even a guild can play multiple games.

stop trolling. jesus.

a) I am not Jesus.

b) Pointing out alternatives, or having a difference in opinion is trolling? Oh well, may be you should stop too.

Originally posted by Alders
    Originally posted by jpnz

I always find it funny (and a bit sad) when posters cry out about the 'old fashion guilds' but never actually try to create one for themselves.

Don't like the current guilds? Make one that suits you yourself.

This isn't a hard logic to follow but I guess some people just don't want to put in the 'effort'. Ironic isn't it?

You can't recreate the absence of options.

uh? Why would anyone want to create the absence of options?

Options are good. If no one pick the option that you like .. well ...that is not the fault of the option, is it?

Of course options are good but the lack of them is what also created strong guilds and dedication.

You couldn't get anything done without them.  It's what kept players in an MMO for years and years.

You could call that a phony or fake atmosphere that forced players to get along in pursuit of gear but that wouldn't be fair is some regards.

wait .. so you have to take options AWAY from people to create strong guilds & dedications?

It sounds like players don't want strong guilds and dedication unless they are forced to. If so, why force them? We are talking games here. It is not like strong guilds and dedication (to games, no less) are necessities for players.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by xpowderx
    What happened to guilds?I do not mean as if they disappeared. Rather, what happened to those close knit large or small guilds where each player knew one another. In years past I feel humble to know that I belonged to two very good guilds. But since I left them 3 years ago I have not found anything like them.My last couple of guilds have been horrendous. In rift my guildies were only in it for the bonus benefits. No one really talked to each other, worked together for common goals. Or actually try to help improve the guild. A guild will have raidchat or vent. But no one ever logs on.Something is missing. Did mmorpg players change that much? Did the F2P format help with the selfish resonance I see in many of the players today? Once, a guild was a thing of pride. You worked together to achieve big accomplishments that no single player could do. Everyone in a sense was like a extended family member. You shared, fought, and did things together. All with purpose! Do those types of guilds exist? Did they disappear? I am currently playing Aion, my hopes is to find that perfect guild again.How many of you are in guilds and have seen guilding detriorate?My hope is we as players change back to the team oriented guilds. Where friendships last and the guild lasts longer.

If everyone is soloing...why do you need a community?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by Nitth

If everyone is soloing...why do you need a community?

No, you don't.

Hence, i don't play game for community.

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

This is why guilds are not the same as they were. The majority of players today don't give a fudge about community, meeting people or making friends.

Sure, these days guilds give bonuses and benefits meaning there is a "point" to being in one, but back in the day the point was to meet others and play with them. Back in EQ1 you wanted to join a guild so you could go out xp hunting with some buddies and not leave a lone corpse somewhere inaccessible and then have to run to East Commonlands begging  strangers to help you get it back. Modern MMO design, and the attitudes of today's players, have largely killed off the old concept of what a guild is.

Originally posted by Vonatar

This is why guilds are not the same as they were. The majority of players today don't give a fudge about community, meeting people or making friends.

Sure, these days guilds give bonuses and benefits meaning there is a "point" to being in one, but back in the day the point was to meet others and play with them. Back in EQ1 you wanted to join a guild so you could go out xp hunting with some buddies and not leave a lone corpse somewhere inaccessible and then have to run to East Commonlands begging  strangers to help you get it back. Modern MMO design, and the attitudes of today's players, have largely killed off the old concept of what a guild is.

Yeh.

And if a majority of players don't care about guilds ... well ... there is not much point to have guilds, at least for them.

• CorvusCoraxCorvusCorax Member Posts: 38
    Most devs have thks mentality that a player should be able to log in for 15 minutes and log off feeling like they have achieved something ingame. The result are multiplayer games where the multiplayer component has no meaning. Guilds and communities need solid multiplayer mechanics to thrive. I sugggest looking for it in other genres than mmos since lately mmos have had the worst multiplayer design out of any multiplayer genre.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

I always find it funny (and a bit sad) when posters cry out about the 'old fashion guilds' but never actually try to create one for themselves.

This isn't a hard logic to follow but I guess some people just don't want to put in the 'effort'. Ironic isn't it?

You can't recreate the absence of options.

uh? Why would anyone want to create the absence of options?

Options are good. If no one pick the option that you like .. well ...that is not the fault of the option, is it?

Of course options are good but the lack of them is what also created strong guilds and dedication.

You couldn't get anything done without them.  It's what kept players in an MMO for years and years.

You could call that a phony or fake atmosphere that forced players to get along in pursuit of gear but that wouldn't be fair is some regards.

It is not like strong guilds and dedication (to games, no less) are necessities for players.

If you don't see a huge problem with that when it comes to MMO's then i don't know what to say.

It is not like strong guilds and dedication (to games, no less) are necessities for players.

If you don't see a huge problem with that when it comes to MMO's then i don't know what to say.

You can say "you are not a true mmo player!" .. which i am not. I am just an incidental MMORPG player that enjoy some MMOs because they can be played as solo online games.

I certainly do not dedicate myself to a single game (or even two), and I don't need a guild to have fun in a game (not that i have not been in guilds ... i was in a progression raid guild before ... too much work and commitment).

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    Running a guild these days you need to understand the casual nature of so many in the playerbase. That will help you spot those that are, who perhaps do not even realise they are and keep your guild full of the dedicated sorts you need.
  • jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by Scot
    Running a guild these days you need to understand the casual nature of so many in the playerbase. That will help you spot those that are, who perhaps do not even realise they are and keep your guild full of the dedicated sorts you need.

But that takes EFFORT which most people on this thread who want the 'good old days guilds' is saying 'Someone ELSE do it!'.

I find it ironic that these 'hardcore' community based players aren't willing to put in that effort while crying at the 'casual guilds'.

Kinda sad but ironic. :)

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

What happened to guilds?

I do not mean as if they disappeared. Rather, what happened to those close knit large or small guilds where each player knew one another. In years past I feel humble to know that I belonged to two very good guilds. But since I left them 3 years ago I have not found anything like them.

My last couple of guilds have been horrendous. In rift my guildies were only in it for the bonus benefits. No one really talked to each other, worked together for common goals. Or actually try to help improve the guild. A guild will have raidchat or vent. But no one ever logs on.

Something is missing. Did mmorpg players change that much? Did the F2P format help with the selfish resonance I see in many of the players today?

Once, a guild was a thing of pride. You worked together to achieve big accomplishments that no single player could do. Everyone in a sense was like a extended family member. You shared, fought, and did things together. All with purpose! Do those types of guilds exist? Did they disappear? I am currently playing Aion, my hopes is to find that perfect guild again.

How many of you are in guilds and have seen guilding detriorate?

My hope is we as players change back to the team oriented guilds. Where friendships last and the guild lasts longer.

Same here my friend, exactly same boat as you.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• irpugbossirpugboss Member UncommonPosts: 427

It is not impossible for those who long for oldschool guilds to find like minded players, heck there are a few in this thread that can collaborate and make such a guild into reality. Problem is, everyone always wants someone else to do the work for them.

Of all the MMOs I've played grouping was always advantageous, contrary to popular belief apparently, including regular questing to instanced "dungeons/raids"...and especially pvp.

My point is nothing happened to Guilds, but alot has happened to the players apparently.

1. Older leaders may have got burned out from their virtual second jobs of running guilds. There is little incentive to carry this extra burden that adds little incentive to the leaderships gameplay.

2. Majority of players, no correction, people in general are self-entitled and want others to accommodate their desires because they are too busy to create such a guild, or foster social interactions within the community. You also do not need 8+ hours a day to manage a guild, so don't claim that as a reason to not make your own...at best you need maybe 2-4 hours a week to manage the guild site, ingame messaging, or even a single event a week together.

That said, I think games need to offer Guilds more tools to become more functional, but the idea that group gameplay needs to be mandatory to force social interaction solves nothing and will likely create a more elitist community as time goes on.

Just take a list of all the people in this thread that agree with the idea that games need to destroy any form of solo play and implement mandatory grouping in this thread and you have the startings of a guild...then all you have to do is agree on a game and woosh you are now in your ideal guild without blaming every MMO for lack of guilds that suit your needs. 

• monkey_crushermonkey_crusher Member Posts: 41
    Originally posted by Adalwulff

Don't like it, play another game.....

Yeh. Good advice.

That is why i play solo-able MMOs that I don't have to socialize or need a guild.

As if anyone would want to socialize with you!

Just kidding! 'm sure you're really nice in real life! :)

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

But that takes EFFORT which most people on this thread who want the 'good old days guilds' is saying 'Someone ELSE do it!'.

I find it ironic that these 'hardcore' community based players aren't willing to put in that effort while crying at the 'casual guilds'.

I have to agree, I ran my own guild in WoW for a year and the amount of effort it takes to expand, control and develop a guild properly is immense. The dedication of the guild leader and senior officers has to be there to achieve this nirvana of a great social experience. It took us 6 months to get about 12/13 regular dedicated players and we were heading for raiding but of course needed more dedicated players. But the amount of players that ran through my guild was incredible and the drama that ensued was enough to make me nearly throw my PC out of the window. But I'm actually quite calm though many a night I spent my whole time dealing with complaints and disputes between players that I never actually played the frikking game. 

Recently I just popped into to SWTOR after not playing for a little while and a few of the senior players had left the guild after being in this very active guild for a year or so due to guess what? drama caused by one or two officers. So this guild has now shrunk considerably from being a strong 20+ per night guild which has been going since release. This is the reality of many guilds and the amount shit as guild leaders you have to go through, is it bloody worth it? its only a game after all. 

This type of thing happened in EQ2 and AION as well, so now I just join guilds for the company, chat and helping others out when I can but I'm not looking to get into any drama and if it happens I'm out the door. I play MMO's to have fun not deal with immature players who treat the game as there whole life. So I prefer smaller guilds like my one in TERA that is very casual orientated.

At the end of the day you need a really dedicated team of leaders to keep a guild together and that's something that many many players really don't want to do and I don't blame them.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• irpugbossirpugboss Member UncommonPosts: 427
    Originally posted by Calerxes

I have to agree, I ran my own guild in WoW for a year and the amount of effort it takes to expand, control and develop a guild properly is immense. The dedication of the guild leader and senior officers has to be there to achieve this nirvana of a great social experience. It took us 6 months to get about 12/13 regular dedicated players and we were heading for raiding but of course needed more dedicated players. But the amount of players that ran through my guild was incredible and the drama that ensued was enough to make me nearly throw my PC out of the window. But I'm actually quite calm though many a night I spent my whole time dealing with complaints and disputes between players that I never actually played the frikking game. 

Recently I just popped into to SWTOR after not playing for a little while and a few of the senior players had left the guild after being in this very active guild for a year or so due to guess what? drama caused by one or two officers. So this guild has now shrunk considerably from being a strong 20+ per night guild which has been going since release. This is the reality of many guilds and the amount shit as guild leaders you have to go through, is it bloody worth it? its only a game after all. 

This type of thing happened in EQ2 and AION as well, so now I just join guilds for the company, chat and helping others out when I can but I'm not looking to get into any drama and if it happens I'm out the door. I play MMO's to have fun not deal with immature players who treat the game as there whole life. So I prefer smaller guilds like my one in TERA that is very casual orientated.

At the end of the day you need a really dedicated team of leaders to keep a guild together and that's something that many many players really don't want to do and I don't blame them.

That goes in hand with my thoughts on this, and is pretty much the same experience I've had from running a few Guilds.

Guilds are still the same, game group content is not the cause for blame, the problem is most guild leaders have wisened up about our how to better enjoy their games by wanting to play instead of herding self-entitled, drama inducing kittens (players) lol.

Now if games made an ironclad system that rewards leadership for the extra BS they have to deal with, then we may see quality guilds, and community participation flourish...until then its not worth the headache.

That is the issue. It is just ONE game, and a lot of people don't think it is worth the time.

And i remember when i went from a social centric guild to a progression guild .... even when the people are nice, it is too much work and commitment. I need to file an application, went to a "job" interview, and then commit to certain raid times. There is practice and stuff ... all for what ... ONE game.

I would much rather play casual and experience more than one game. And if i just want to social, i can go to a chatroom. I don't have to do that in a game.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

It isn't that easy..  Games have changed since the old days..  Raiding is no longer a "come one, come all" way of having fun as it used to be..  Guilds with raiding is now more an Esport then anything..  REMOVE raid limits like the 10 man or 25 man crap, and design the games to be more open world and less instance and I would be MORE then willing to my best to bring back or offer old style guilding as it used to be.. 

• ray12kray12k Member UncommonPosts: 487
    Originally posted by YoungCaesar
    It seems ppl like nariusseldom arent into mmorpgs at all... I think an arpg or other similar lobby based multiplayer ( or solo) games are what ur looking for... Mmorpgs are supposed to be massive non intanced worlds so u can play with thousands of other players in 1 world... Not a glorified lobby

You are right. I am not into mmo at all. I just give them a chance since the devs seem to want to make them into lobby gamse, and solo games. There is no reason for me to discriminate them, just because they are not a ARPG, and that they use a city instead of a lobby.

I don't really care what MMORPGs are "supposed to be" .. but if a dev makes them into a glorified lobby games and beg me to play by plastering "free to play" all around, i don't see any reason not to take advantage of it. Do you?

go play fb games.... all you do is rehash the same comments....  we get it you like free solo games and like to solo... ok move on

That is the issue. It is just ONE game, and a lot of people don't think it is worth the time.

And i remember when i went from a social centric guild to a progression guild .... even when the people are nice, it is too much work and commitment. I need to file an application, went to a "job" interview, and then commit to certain raid times. There is practice and stuff ... all for what ... ONE game.

I would much rather play casual and experience more than one game. And if i just want to social, i can go to a chatroom. I don't have to do that in a game.

Yep, I can only imagine the dedication you have to put into a serious progression raiding guild if running a casual heading towards a raiding guild was so much hassle, I take my hat off to those guilds especially with the RNG drop rate at the end of high level raids. Guild Leading is a cross between being a babysitter, parent and teacher all in one.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

Originally posted by Rydeson

It isn't that easy..  Games have changed since the old days..  Raiding is no longer a "come one, come all" way of having fun as it used to be..  Guilds with raiding is now more an Esport then anything..  REMOVE raid limits like the 10 man or 25 man crap, and design the games to be more open world and less instance and I would be MORE then willing to my best to bring back or offer old style guilding as it used to be.. 

The hackneyed cliche of open worlds and removing number caps on dungeons is not a panacea to guild problems. People are the problem not the games, just look at this thread lots of comments but no real experience or understanding to what it actually takes to run a successful guild. These players just want everyone else, including dev's, to do the heavy lifting for them just so they can have the rose tinted experience they thought they had many moons ago.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

guildies were only in it for the bonus benefits.

I could say something about generation gaps, but naw, thirteen hundred other threads for that already.

Sounds to me like you didn't do your guild shopping very well.

And I'm serious. Finding the guild that 'fits' can be an enormous amount of work.

Devs haven't ever been able to magic-bullet that aspect.

Nor could your local singles bar, or online dating site, or set-you-up-with-a-lovely-girl auntie.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by ray12k
    Originally posted by YoungCaesar
    It seems ppl like nariusseldom arent into mmorpgs at all... I think an arpg or other similar lobby based multiplayer ( or solo) games are what ur looking for... Mmorpgs are supposed to be massive non intanced worlds so u can play with thousands of other players in 1 world... Not a glorified lobby

You are right. I am not into mmo at all. I just give them a chance since the devs seem to want to make them into lobby gamse, and solo games. There is no reason for me to discriminate them, just because they are not a ARPG, and that they use a city instead of a lobby.

I don't really care what MMORPGs are "supposed to be" .. but if a dev makes them into a glorified lobby games and beg me to play by plastering "free to play" all around, i don't see any reason not to take advantage of it. Do you?

go play fb games.... all you do is rehash the same comments....  we get it you like free solo games and like to solo... ok move on

Why should i when there are still some MMO games interests me?

It is silly to ignore a genre just because i am not dedicated to it. Do you ignore a good drama just because you watch mostly action movies?

Yep, I can only imagine the dedication you have to put into a serious progression raiding guild if running a casual heading towards a raiding guild was so much hassle,

Yeh .. .too much work. After a few months, i figure i will just hang out and use the guild as a chat room. I am not going to sacrifice my weekend with the family (or whatever i feel like doing at that time) just because of some game.