Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Don't know if imma sub.. game is too boring after hitting 50.

13»

Comments

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Roguewiz

I plan on subbing.  Mainly because I'm taking my time with multiple classes and tradeskills.  Getting 50 isn't my primary concern.

I want to make this game last longer than a month.

Sounds like a good plan, yet IMO we shouldn't have to try and make an MMORPG last, maybe that's just me,  I could be completely wrong in that idea. I just feel if we have to purposefully restrain ourselves while playing, so we don't run out of stuff to do in a month, there's simply not enough there yet.

The game is polished, but it lacks some of the extra things to keep people engaged.  I'm hoping by taking it easy (while playing League of Legends and focusing on College), I can make the game last until their first major patch; which is said to have housing and PvP.

My primary goal is to play until EQN Landmark drops.  We'll see if that pans out.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • ZhauricZhauric Member UncommonPosts: 292
    Originally posted by Siveria
    Originally posted by JudgeUK

You say this wasn't meant to be a troll post - yet you feel inclined to label the vast majority as stupid, you intentionally used the wrong development company name, again with a derisory typical garbage description. Still reading down and complete idiots crops up - again aimed at the player base.

Consdiering all the stupidness I have seen being done at level cap, I think I have a right to complain. Those players are holding back my progression, and it bugs me even more that I can't even kick the bad players from dungeon parties I am in.

Okay, I have to ask and really not trying to be mean, but the game isn't even a month old and you're complaining about the player base? That is what one would call premature. On top of this you are on Faerie, a brand new server that isn't a legacy one. But you still hold the entire playerbase to this mythical line of dungeon knowledge? You do understand some still have to learn from one fight to another and don't spend countless hours watching youtube and reading up on every fight? We do not all hold the same life or availability in said life so sometimes they have to learn first hand and suffer through the bumps.

That is life. It is going to be this way no matter where you go. Most folks in this game came from another game. No game has some exlclusive rights on player base. I know many in FF that intend on playing EQN and Elder Scrolls, etc. Just think you are really reaching trying to complain about a playerbase knowledge of fights not even a month into the game. It's not like everyone plays the same and is overly hardcore or whatever.

Now you say you didn't rush but neither have I and not one 50. I have a handful of classes in their teens and that is about it. But yet you have a 50, ran every dungeon apparently, ran every quest since you said there are none to do BUT....you didn't rush? Either you did rush or it didn't feel like you were though you spent hours upon hours playing or something.

Sorry, really doesn't add up. In any case, good luck finding whatever makes you happy. Some gamers though should realize that enjoyment doesn't fall totally on the developer but yourself as a gamer. If you make it a point to rush through content then expect to end up with nothing upon launch of a game. No developer will have several patches rolling to increase content before the first month is out. That's just illogical and not financially sound and they are still a business at the end of the day.

• cybersurfrcybersurfr Member UncommonPosts: 168

Perfectly understandable, OP. I don't see a point in continuing something you no longer have fun in. Some of my friends are considering the same thing. A couple of them (with the realization there is no pvp yet)  have even stopped logging in for a few days now.  Personally, I am deliberately taking things slow and just leveling my crafting professions. I am actually enjoying the change of pace.

The game has a lot of potential, but the rest of the end game activities are not yet implemented. I genuinely feel I would be burned out the same as you if I had played it like I usually do in raid-centric theme parks. For now, I am enjoying the casual pace and patiently waiting as the game matures. It's a gamble,but I am convinced that the developers are passionate about the future of the game. If and when those (link) are not met at the time of the patch and I am no longer having fun, then like any rational person I too will consider quitting.

• NicephorusNicephorus Member Posts: 52
    Originally posted by Ayulin
    Originally posted by Nicephorus
    So...... overdramatising a bit perhaps?  Nothing New after launch of each MMO mind you.  People racing to the cap after each release and then firing up the "Drama Queen" record.  /Shrug

Except the part where I never rushed? if I did I would have been 50 over 2 weeks ago.

I honestly don't have a problem with people who don't like the game. People like what they like. But I am continually amazed at how out of touch people like you are with typical post WOW player. So you took a whole 2 weeks to level to cap, and that supposedly makes you some sort of casual who didn't rush? Please!!! As easy as it is to level, and I wouldn't dispute that it is easy, I would wager my house that less than 10% of the non legacy player base have hit cap yet. I hate to break it to you, but you are simply NOT the main target audience for this game.

If the OP took as long as they say to hit cap, then I would say they were playing casually.

Hardcore players were hitting cap in the first ~3 days. There were people talking about it on the forums, and I'm talking  regular players on non-Legacy servers. I'm not talking "Legacy players who brought characters over from 1.0", as some have tried to dismiss it.

The problem ARR has is similar to what happens in WoW currently.. The game is designed to make everything so fast, and so convenient and so accessible, that it's actually harder to not level quickly.

If someone wants to follow the storyline and consistently do activities that reward Adventure XP for their given class, doing FATEs or other things along the way, because that's what they find the most fun... then that's what they find the most fun. If the game happens to be so rewarding in terms of xp and gear that it makes the process of getting to level cap trivial... then that's not the player's fault. They're just playing it as they enjoy it.

Yoshi-P has made the same mistake so many others before him made when launching a P2P MMO. A P2P MMO survives on a continuous, healthy playerbase that sticks around one month to the next because there's enough content to keep them entertained from one month to the next. When someone is able to get through the game and do the majority of what it offers in the first 2 weeks or so... that's a sign of a MMO designed by someone who hasn't learned from the mistakes of others.

Thank you for proving my point. Do you honestly believe that the average player hits level cap in 2 weeks? I'm sorry, but you are just completely delusional about what makes a typical player these days. I'm sorry, but if you hit level cap in 2 weeks, well before the vast majority of non legacy players, that means you rushed hardcore, no matter how easy it is.

Nobody is saying the OP has to apologize for what he finds fun. But these complaints always seem to be made up of subjective opinions presented as facts, and always seem to imply that because a particular games doesn't cater to their individual tastes, that it sucks and is doomed to failure.

Oh, and of course, when people dare to disagree with the OP, we are irrational fanboys. Give me a break!!!!

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

I plan on subbing.  Mainly because I'm taking my time with multiple classes and tradeskills.  Getting 50 isn't my primary concern.

Sounds like a good plan, yet IMO we shouldn't have to try and make an MMORPG last, maybe that's just me,  I could be completely wrong in that idea. I just feel if we have to purposefully restrain ourselves while playing, so we don't run out of stuff to do in a month, there's simply not enough there yet.

In some ways I miss the slower leveling curves of the older games. I wish there was a happy medium between rocketing to cap and taking five and a half months to make one level.

I'm with you on this one.

If leveling is made so easy that it can be done in less than a week, then what's the point of even having levels?   They're certainly not fun and I'm sure they're not teaching new players correctly either.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    So...... overdramatising a bit perhaps?  Nothing New after launch of each MMO mind you.  People racing to the cap after each release and then firing up the "Drama Queen" record.  /Shrug

Except the part where I never rushed? if I did I would have been 50 over 2 weeks ago. I been 50 about a week just doing mostly quests, you do not see the problem because your only level 29, get to 50, and start to level a 2nd class past 15, and you'll see why I say its boring. No more quests other than class/job ones every 5th level, nothing but fates, or leves, or running dungeons that don't really net enough exp (the dungeons i mean, they have a realllly bad exp to time ratio). So unless your idea of fun is following around a zerg of people brainlessly clearing the Fates, Your going to be pretty bored after 50 as well most likely. I thought the game was pretty good myself until after I hit 50, and decided to level a 2nd class past 15 and then relized how boring it was. I also dabbled in some endgame stuff, pretty boring run same dungeon over and over for tokens, which the mythic ones for the decent gear have a 300 per rl week cap, and most of the gear takes 2-3 weeks of spamming the same dungeon atm to get them. Amdapor Keep is really not fun after you've ran it so many times you lost count. its even worse than the 2nd boss is a dps check boss, and half the time your dps just aren't up to par gearwise and you end up wasting your time entirely. For Amdapor Keep I highly suggest you do not use duty finder unless u already have a full party. I've had horrible luck with random pugs and that dungeon.

Sorry, you just analyzed every single mmorpg in existence. If we can't use our imaginations when playing these games then we need a new hobby. /shrug

You can rush through the basic content to level cap or on your way play the game as an mmoRPG.

Posted just today: http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/09/17/the-soapbox-maybe-its-time-to-admit-that-you-dont-like-mmos/

Or maybe it should be: Maybe you don't like theme park MMOs with linear content that are designed to flatline in two months

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• Bandaid47Bandaid47 Member Posts: 38

You don't have to try to make it last...its quite the opposite...

You have to really try to make the game short...mostly by powerleveling on fates, ignoring crafting and gathering, and deciding that you don't want to participate in endgame content (its too boring ect)

If you find raid engame content boring...why on earth did you race to 50? Let alone why you bothered with a game whos focus is the kind of endgame that seems boring.

Personally ihave one combat at endgame, not very far into it, however I love this games endgame.  I also have a crafter and two gatherers I use often, which are all below level 25.  Then I plan on taking a cross class up to near 50 (depends on how I feel) and the classes they plan to release sound appealing so ill do that when it happens.

Stop trying to power level through content then complain how short the game is...

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by Bandaid47

You don't have to try to make it last...its quite the opposite...

You have to really try to make the game short...mostly by powerleveling on fates, ignoring crafting and gathering, and deciding that you don't want to participate in endgame content (its too boring ect)

If you find raid engame content boring...why on earth did you race to 50? Let alone why you bothered with a game whos focus is the kind of endgame that seems boring.

Personally ihave one combat at endgame, not very far into it, however I love this games endgame.  I also have a crafter and two gatherers I use often, which are all below level 25.  Then I plan on taking a cross class up to near 50 (depends on how I feel) and the classes they plan to release sound appealing so ill do that when it happens.

Stop trying to power level through content then complain how short the game is...

In other words Distopia, play like this guy plays or you are playing the game wrong. You should also try to think like him too when you fire up the game.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

Trying to go slow sucks. I'm the kind of player that likes to push things, not rush, but push limits.  I like to see how many mobs I can farm, how much cash I can make, and test the limits of my abilities.  I'm not in a hurry to get to a level cap. That is sort of a by-product of keeping the challenge up.

In some ways I miss the slower leveling curves of the older games. I wish there was a happy medium between rocketing to cap and taking five and a half months to make one level.

I'm glad I didn't give in an buy the game now. I hate subs, but love FF and was almost thinking about diving in despite the sub. Now I'm glad I've waited.

I usually always wait, I liked the game (what I saw of it anyway), I'd pay a sub given they had enough to occupy me for months at a time. Yet being more of a PVP oriented player, as well as one who usually only runs a dungeon once or twice before becoming tired of it, I'm not sure this game's direction is for me at this point.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by ignore_me
    Originally posted by Amjoco

Except the part where I never rushed? if I did I would have been 50 over 2 weeks ago. I been 50 about a week just doing mostly quests, you do not see the problem because your only level 29, get to 50, and start to level a 2nd class past 15, and you'll see why I say its boring. No more quests other than class/job ones every 5th level, nothing but fates, or leves, or running dungeons that don't really net enough exp (the dungeons i mean, they have a realllly bad exp to time ratio). So unless your idea of fun is following around a zerg of people brainlessly clearing the Fates, Your going to be pretty bored after 50 as well most likely. I thought the game was pretty good myself until after I hit 50, and decided to level a 2nd class past 15 and then relized how boring it was. I also dabbled in some endgame stuff, pretty boring run same dungeon over and over for tokens, which the mythic ones for the decent gear have a 300 per rl week cap, and most of the gear takes 2-3 weeks of spamming the same dungeon atm to get them. Amdapor Keep is really not fun after you've ran it so many times you lost count. its even worse than the 2nd boss is a dps check boss, and half the time your dps just aren't up to par gearwise and you end up wasting your time entirely. For Amdapor Keep I highly suggest you do not use duty finder unless u already have a full party. I've had horrible luck with random pugs and that dungeon.

Sorry, you just analyzed every single mmorpg in existence. If we can't use our imaginations when playing these games then we need a new hobby. /shrug

You can rush through the basic content to level cap or on your way play the game as an mmoRPG.

Posted just today: http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/09/17/the-soapbox-maybe-its-time-to-admit-that-you-dont-like-mmos/

Or maybe it should be: Maybe you don't like theme park MMOs with linear content that are designed to flatline in two months

I'm just saying an imagination shouldn't "flatline". Everyone hops into new releases to figure out how to get to the end first instead of playing the content on the way like it was "designed" for.  There are hundreds of hours involved in crafting alone in most games, but those players that have capped level within a week skip right through it to be bored at the end. That is one example and there are more including history, lore, upgrading equipment, etc.

I'm not here to tell anyone how to play, but common sense is mixed in with everything you do in life. I could pay for a movie and wait till the end of it to take my seat just to see the end, but I will have missed how it got to that conclusion. I will have enjoyed the Junior Mints and Dr. Pepper but the movie would suck. Unless it was a Nicholas Cage movie than it will suck anyway. :/

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    I'd ask OP if I could have his stuff, but based on his description of game play, I know he doesn't have much.
  • VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510

This could be the first premium p2p MMORPG that I don't sub to.  Still have a few weeks to decide.

Endgame is boring (grind the same few bits of content into dust).  Amazingly I think a lot of people will be done with everything that can be done before they have to sub.  Then what?  Alt/craft for a few months until SE patches in more content to obliterate in a matter of hours/days.

I found the game boring in many ways before 50 though.  The instances rock, and my crew did them all 3-5x each while leveling up but the solo questing is mindlessly stupid easy, the story quests are tedious and the story is weak and repetitive (every npc you meet has no faith/trust in you and needs you to do 4-10 trivial and stupid tasks to earn their favor...repeat...repeat...repeat) and then there's fate grinding, which is the lowest quality content to ever be spewed into an MMORPG - and you pretty much have to do it because it's the only decent way to get seals to progress your GC rank (on top of the rest of your content options being miserable in other ways, like leves or what little solo questing there is, and as much as I love the instances there's only so many times you want to repeat them once you master them).

Zones are pretty but overall low impact.  Gathering is pure repetitive grind.  Crafting is tedious even with macros - the basic system is cool but the amount of repetition involved is hardly fun.  All the loading screens for zoning and cutscenes due to console ties get REALLY old.  MMORPGs have been seamless in this regard for a long time now so this just really bothers me.

Mobs don't drop loot = boring and makes the player economy kind of weak.  It's mostly just crafters selling stuff to each other or to gil buyers and others foolish enough to piss away money on stuff you can easily get in game.

Tons of quality of life issues that feel more and more annoying the longer you play.

So many players seem to have bad attitudes and it's mostly just a lot of ME ME ME FASTER FASTER must grind out relic weapon yesterday and get a billion tombstones to be done with the game TODAY.  Why?  No idea.  Just.  Must.  Grind.  Now.  Faster.  Me.  Anybody want to run CM?  You have 2 seconds to reply before I queue and pug because *I* CANNOT BE DENIED - *I* MUST GET MINE NOW /twitch.

Fast food gaming at it's retched finest.

I just don't see how this game is going to have lasting appeal.  So many people claim it's the "best game ever" and similar silliness but let's see how those folks feel in a month or so.  I originally would've said 2-3 months but this game plays so ridiculously fast that I think people will be done with it faster than ever.  Recall that people thought SWTOR was the best game ever early on, and within 3-6 months people turned big time, and IMO, SWTOR is a far better game than FFXIV overall - far better content in all regards, far better class designs and system, far better crafting system (less involved for actual crafting but way more interesting stuff to discover and make).  FFXIV is such a stripped down game in nearly every area.  I only mention SWTOR since it was so hyped and so many people love to hate it (for silly reasons but that's the MMORPG community for ya).  FFXIV is stripped down and simplified to pretty much ALL post WoW clones except maybe TERA (in a lot of ways FFXIV is like a tab target and prettified version of TERA - same crappy zone designs, same generic questing and story, same radical contrast between quality of instances vs quality of all other content, same very limited options at endgame, same stripped down class designs with no weapon choice, same wonky console influenced crappy UI elements).

The only reason I can see subbing to this (for me) is complete lack of any other MMORPG to play.  If I get beta access to wildstar, eqn, teso or something else worth dinking with...that would seal the deal on not subbing for me (even if I currently have no desire to play those games as designed, wildstar due to facilitated cheating via credit exchange in a P2P premium game and EQN because it looks like single player shite, teso because it IS single player online shite).

It'll be interesting in a sad way to watch the FFXIV community turn on this game over the next few months as more and more people wake up to just how simplified this game is and just how lacking it is for stuff to do.  Unless of course your idea of good gaming is grinding 10 classes to 50 via fate grinding and mining/botany in circles for hours at a time appeals to you, or running the same instance 1-5 times a day for weeks on end is a good time to you.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• Darknessguy64Darknessguy64 Member Posts: 233
    I started my sub yesterday. It will be month to month. I anticipate a minimum of 3 months before I "really" need to make a decision on continuing. I'm not an content locust...
  • XTC2XTC2 Member Posts: 30
    Aw...someone rushed to 50 and now he's bored....no sympathy.  
  • Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    I must be doing it wrong, because after years of playing mmorpgs I still don't believe level cap is the primary determining factor in longevity. There has only been a handful of mmorpgs I've capped...UO, SWG, WoW and Neverwinter. That's it. Out of hundreds of mmorpgs I've played. Some progression curves were too long, some were too fast but the difference is my boredom usually comes well before I'll hit a cap. Like I said....for me, level capping means nothing. But it still means the world for a lot of players it seems...oh well.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• KingAlkaiserKingAlkaiser Member UncommonPosts: 57
    Originally posted by XTC2
    Aw...someone rushed to 50 and now he's bored....no sympathy.  

I didn't rush in any way and I have to agree with a lot of the players here, this game is extremely over casualised and lacking in a lot of things as explained by many others in this long thread.

This game is doomed to fail unless they do some sort of miracle patch to fix a lot of the stuff in it. 

By the way you eventually run out of quest to do so only thing left is the same old fate spam/ leve/behest it doesn't change much from people doing it faster than others.

A lot of people ( mostly fanboys tot he point of cult fanaticism ) get extremely butt hurt when someone post anything negative about the game.  There are a lot of trolling going on but a lot of other post post a lot of legitimate concern.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by KingAlkaiser
    Originally posted by XTC2 Aw...someone rushed to 50 and now he's bored....no sympathy.  
    I didn't rush in any way and I have to agree with a lot of the players here, this game is extremely over casualised and lacking in a lot of things as explained by many others in this long thread.

This game is doomed to fail unless they do some sort of miracle patch to fix a lot of the stuff in it. 

By the way you eventually run out of quest to do so only thing left is the same old fate spam/ leve/behest it doesn't change much from people doing it faster than others.

A lot of people ( mostly fanboys tot he point of cult fanaticism ) get extremely butt hurt when someone post anything negative about the game.  There are a lot of trolling going on but a lot of other post post a lot of legitimate concern.

its not doomed to fail. It simply offers styles of gameplay that you are not into. There are more than enough people who enjoy how this game plays to keep it going a long time.

I respect your gaming preferences though, and wish you the best of luck on your mmo quest :)

• Kayo45Kayo45 Member Posts: 293
    Ill likely be taking a break once I hit 50 for a month or two. There is just too much b/s going on right now, at end game (from what im hearing) to warrant an on going sub. Plenty of SP games I want to play anyway. Finding it hard to log in recently too but thats probably GTA5's fault, lol.
  • BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Originally posted by KingAlkaiser

Originally posted by XTC2 Aw...someone rushed to 50 and now he's bored....no sympathy.  

its not doomed to fail. It simply offers styles of gameplay that you are not into. There are more than enough people who enjoy how this game plays to keep it going a long time.

I respect your gaming preferences though, and wish you the best of luck on your mmo quest :)

I hope so because i heard similar excuses for 1.0.

"this game isn't just for you but there are more than enough people who enjoy this game and keep it going long time'.

Well we know how that turned out.

There are lot of valid criticism regarding 2.0; it is sad that we are seeing similar reactions with 'this game isn't for you' type of replies in an attempt to just downplay the problems like fans did in 1.0 and eventually chased everyone off who had valid concerns and suggestions.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Meh.

If the game bores you, quit.

I read most of the posts. Mostly because FFXIV is going through emergency maintenance right now and I had little else to do. It wasn't very entertaining. I really could have done without another "OMG I'm SO BORED everyone look how bored I am" speech.

If you don't find what content is there fun, quit. It's one less person in the queue as far as I'm concerned.

Oh wait, the only reason I read this post, and wrote this reply, was because I was bored... damn I'm such a hypocrite.

ps
    can I have your stuff