Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does personal story have to be part of the mmo?

IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

In my opinion, a better mmo has the story as an instance that has co-op. Or what ever possible interesting online modes for small groups of a different faction.

However, the mmo part is all horizontal progression.

I say this because, i would like to see an improvement in mmo story, and bring the benefits of mmo development as well.

For example, the mmo part might have a mini game which would be part of the class quest. Or a dungeon which can be done by groups in the mmo or solo for special rewards etc.

So do people really want everything to be mashed up together? As stated it makes class story worse, and content segregated by areas and lvls to repetitive and not challenging.

Or is the future of ai/npc improvement going to change and make up for some of the short comings of the past? We still need better tech, and single players manage to implement those extra features.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

Comments

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832
    No, I don't believe an MMO has to have a personal story in the context the OP is discussing. It's perfectly fine if it does, that's one style of MMO. For me, I'm more interested in being able to craft my own characters story within the game world then have the Developer script one out for me (and every other slob that buys the game)....which would seem to be anything but "personal" in the context that I consider it. YMMV.
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Story missions are alright, if they're like they were in Guild Wars 1 - repeatable, party-based, challenging and with good rewards. Otherwise, they get in the way of the MMO part.
  • nAAtimusnAAtimus Member Posts: 342
    I think personal stories should be player made missions that portray the character's experiences that lead them up to the point at which they find themselves. They could open their story up to friends, guild members, the public, etc. That way there is room for a unique story the player can have without it being the same back story as everyone else, and still allow for player created missions/quests. I can't help but have CoX in my mind when I thought of this, like it would have been perfect for what I'm describing.

I'm not here to complete my forum PVP dailies.

• A personal story is nice, but I find that most people skip the text and don't bother reading anyway.  MMO are for the gameplay and the people you play with.  If I want a good story, I'd find a good console game.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by urmydestiny
    A personal story is nice, but I find that most people skip the text and don't bother reading anyway.  MMO are for the gameplay and the people you play with.  If I want a good story, I'd find a good console game.

Stories should be done like in SP games with scripted events and VO. Of course few want to read a bunch of text. That is why games like Deus Ex & Dishonored tell their stories through scripted events and cut scenes (in-game, or out of game).

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

My prefered story is just the news.

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    I think stories are overdone.  The quest hub has lead to MMORPG's being one dimensional games that are simply based around leveling.   The end result is that many games play the same despite different combat and lore.
  • QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

The nature of the genre seems to be that stories should be presented in a way that players play through the story and not by reading a wall of text or selecting through a lengthy dialogue.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by Vermillion_Raventhal
    I think stories are overdone.  The quest hub has lead to MMORPG's being one dimensional games that are simply based around leveling.   The end result is that many games play the same despite different combat and lore.
    I didn't know we were talking about quest hubs.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• RollerratRollerrat Member UncommonPosts: 200
    I prefer just a  background story of the world/surroundings. Players themselves make their own personal stories if they want to do that.
  • berenimberenim Member UncommonPosts: 162

I actually start to dislike the whole "story" part. It makes MMORPGs feel like single player games with multiplayer options and most people seem to play it that way. It is all about "finishing" the game. I don't need voiceovers and loads of videos. I have single player games for that.

I'd love to see a game that lets you write your own story, like being a new settler on the world, a soldier fresh from the academy and the world is all open to you. Quest hubs just rush you through the game, leading form one point to the next, with nothing special about the world. Adding the problem of people crowding on quest mobs and then leaving barren areas unused. So to me it is no need, I want options, games that keep me with wonders around every corner and challenges, not mmorpgs that I can actually "play through", then do it again on the next harder difficulty. We write the story, we form the world...

Just my 2 cent

• RollerratRollerrat Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Originally posted by berenim

I actually start to dislike the whole "story" part. It makes MMORPGs feel like single player games with multiplayer options and most people seem to play it that way. It is all about "finishing" the game. I don't need voiceovers and loads of videos. I have single player games for that.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. I play single player games for deep and meaningful stories.

Originally posted by berenim

Yeh. That is exactly how i play many MMORPGs. And why discriminate? Sure SP games can do that well, but if MMORPGs can do a decent job, i will give them a chance. After all, i can't play just one game all the time.

I like more VO and scripted events in instanced story content.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    no !  there are not personal stories,there are thousand same stories
    Originally posted by Agent_Joseph
    no !  there are not personal stories,there are thousand same stories

They are as personal as SP game stories, which is good enough for me.

• The mission stories in GW 2 feel slow-paced... I feel like they could have been shorter, but someone is trying real hard to drag them out.
  • azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

depends on your definition of an mmo.

these days, solo content like personal stories are essential as the majority of players don't want a virtual world, they want a single player game with a chat box.

as the technical definition of an mmo basically only requires there are more than X number of players online at the same time .. it really doesn't matter how you deliver the content.

hopefully someone will invent a new genre .. that brings back the essence of some of the earlier mmos.

/holdsbreath

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

Originally posted by azmundai

depends on your definition of an mmo.

these days, solo content like personal stories are essential as the majority of players don't want a virtual world, they want a single player game with a chat box.

Yeah. That is exactly what i want.

Definition of a MMO? I will use the common usage .. the group of games classified as such on this and other MMO sites.

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

I don't mind personal stories, as long as they are optional and have some "options" for how the story progresses.  The ultimate conclusion needs to be more than X or Y, Black and White.  We need alternate endings.  It's one of the great things about some of the more recent RPGs.  You don't HAVE to be the hero or villain.

Personally, I like being the guy manipulating things behind the scenes and then sitting back and eating popcorn while things cascade to their ultimate conclusion.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

http://www.wowwiki.com/Gates_of_Ahn%27Qiraj

Someting like that ? where your personal story is part of the mmo.

And if you dont participate then theres nothing to tell home about i.e. no story.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    I think this is one of the things that kills MMO's.   MMO's should be more open in this regard.   Let players create their own story, fame and fortune.   :)
  • ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by adeptuz
    I prefer just a  background story of the world/surroundings. Players themselves make their own personal stories if they want to do that.

Exactly. A story simply means you spend more time doing what the game tells you to do; rather than carving your own path.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

Originally posted by Arclan

Exactly. A story simply means you spend more time doing what the game tells you to do; rather than carving your own path.

Yeh. And it is a lot of fun (to me) especially when the story is well written, and well presented.

• 5Luck5Luck Member UncommonPosts: 218

For me a "personal story" shouldn't be a back story to my avatar. Thats not any fun for me even if its well written and interesting cuz hay thats me.. I didnt do those things!

I will add though, that "my" back story can be kept as stats. Like types of mission I chose most mobs Ive killed the most weapon favorites ect then add those into a mad libs type back story and let it change as I progress. It could be alot of fun but I am a big fan of going through a stat history kind of like GTA IV had. those are a ton of fun!

• yunaislove12yunaislove12 Member Posts: 6
    I agree that a back story for your character isn't really "yours." I especially hate it when the game starts out and the character has "amnesia," though. I mean, there's gotta be a more creative way to present you as a "newbie" than that, right?