Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why these forums are so good!

ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992

Just one reason for you today: We don't use a lame Approval system which puts replies with the most votes to the top. This was what EQNext was using until recently, but now they have changed to time posted. Thankfully they saw it made sense.

So you have to ask, does anyone come to these or other gaming forums seeking general approval for their opinions? We all have are own ideas about gaming and our passionate about them, which can lead to heated debate. That's the way it should be, unless we want our forums to turn into a back patting fanboi club.

Comments

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Yeah a we hate everything club is way better ! Screw those guys that actually like games.
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311
    Originally posted by Scot

Just one reason for you today: We don't use a lame Approval system which puts replies with the most votes to the top. This was what EQNext was using until recently, but now they have changed to time posted. Thankfully they saw it made sense.

So you have to ask, does anyone come to these or other gaming forums seeking general approval for their opinions? We all have are own ideas about gaming and our passionate about them, which can lead to heated debate. That's the way it should be, unless we want our forums to turn into a back patting fanboi club.

As opposed to the butt-smacking hater club that it is now?

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• FinalFikusFinalFikus Member Posts: 906
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

As opposed to the butt-smacking hater club that it is now?

Butt-smacking?

Well smack my butt I hate this game lol.

"If the Damned gave you a roadmap, then you'd know just where to go"

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    I like and continue to frequent these forums because they are quick aggregators of information. Players are much faster to report on things than reviewers. It's just a matter of sifting through information for a balanced answer as you can compile one from various threads or posts.
  • Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609
    These forums are the biggest thing around since the IGN Vault got closed, that's why I hang around here. They would be 200% better with more professional and less biased moderators though, and with selective bans of the various haters who ruin the individual game forums for the legit players. When specific game sub forums turn more into why people hate the game than about the game itself and information exchange between its players, you know that the moderators fail and/or are biased.

My computer is better than yours.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

I prefer /r/MMORPG, larger news source overall, on top of being on top of everything. Also 75% less FFXIV Jirkal Cerking. Plus side, I don't get banned on a daily basis for my subtle criticizing of the intelligence level of the community.

My biggest problem with this site is that it's incredibly slow at getting information out there, and the information that does get spotlighted is awfully selective. Example: Still no posts about Nexon's newest acquisition.

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476
    I bet 99% of people use this here as a source for abstract, unintentional humor fix. the times you could talk about games here is well over for years.
  • FinalFikusFinalFikus Member Posts: 906
    Originally posted by Rusque
    I like and continue to frequent these forums because they are quick aggregators of information. Players are much faster to report on things than reviewers. It's just a matter of sifting through information for a balanced answer as you can compile one from various threads or posts.

Right.

The media has chosen sides.

Forums, these in particular, will tell you the truth about a game. You may have to look.

There may be people that laugh at that, then they must really be laughing at our protectors in the media.

"If the Damned gave you a roadmap, then you'd know just where to go"

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

Wow, reading through this thread I finally realized that there is such a thing as a forum care bear. I can't believe people want to only hear pleasantries and accord in a forum, or they hit the trigger on the condemnation generalizations; which is hilarious, you hating haters I HATE YOU!

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• buddhaneo99buddhaneo99 Member Posts: 30
    I think these forums are so good because MMO players are smarter than everyone else ;)
    Originally posted by ignore_me

Wow, reading through this thread I finally realized that there is such a thing as a forum care bear. I can't believe people want to only hear pleasantries and accord in a forum, or they hit the trigger on the condemnation generalizations; which is hilarious, you hating haters I HATE YOU!

Negative opinions are one thing, people on a crusade to bash various games is another.

It's annoying to have to wade through the bullshit, lies and misinformation those people post in order to get to the interesting info about a game you play.

In radio, it's called a too high signal to noise ratio.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

strangely i agree with you.

Forum is so good because it is not just a singing-to-the-choir club.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

I revile in the hate, it only serves to make me stronger.

But more seriously, I prefer a forum where people are free to voice their opinions, regardless whether or not I agree with them and the less moderation the better. 

I'm a big boy, I can handle myself in forum PVP, I don't need my Mom to come back me up.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran

I revile in the hate, it only serves to make me stronger.

Haha is Palpatine your role model? :)

But more seriously, I prefer a forum where people are free to voice their opinions, regardless whether or not I agree with them and the less moderation the better. 

I'm a big boy, I can handle myself in forum PVP, I don't need my Mom to come back me up.

Oh yeah, forum PvP isn't the problem. The problem is, as I said in my previous post, the signal to noise ratio. And there's also the problem of lies and misinformation, of course.

Having to wade through 90 stupid/retarded/misinforming posts to get to the 10 interesting/informative/important stuff is annoying.

It's like reading a newspaper where 90% of the content would be advertisements and other useless crap... err wait, that's how all newpapers are today anyway =P

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Neo_Viper
    These forums are the biggest thing around since the IGN Vault got closed, that's why I hang around here. They would be 200% better with more professional and less biased moderators though, and with selective bans of the various haters who ruin the individual game forums for the legit players. When specific game sub forums turn more into why people hate the game than about the game itself and information exchange between its players, you know that the moderators fail and/or are biased.
    You open saying that the moderators suck, and then plead to them for help moderating individual games' forums?

I like them because almost anything goes, from the truly insightful to the utterly absurd. When all is sifted through, some good hands-on info makes it through, sometimes.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Originally posted by Neo_Viper

You open saying that the moderators suck, and then plead to them for help moderating individual games' forums?

I like them because almost anything goes, from the truly insightful to the utterly absurd. When all is sifted through, some good hands-on info makes it through, sometimes.

Not all. But you feel the difference when the shift changes. Some are very good and don't fall for the usual troll tricks, but all the others are just either pawns of the trolls, or are just biased and siding with them.

I also suspect that moderators here have usual member accounts too, and abuse that. Which would explain why some posters are able to abuse the rules without consequences while most of us get bans for similar or even weaker reasons.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    My best friend Nariusseldon and I love these forums :D

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992

The mods don't always get it right, devs don't, game company CEO's don't, leaders don't, one might almost think life can be like that sometimes. :)

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

I like it because it's one of the few gaming forums around where you get all viewpoints represented equally. I too am very glad that this site hasn't implemented some lame post rating system as they just tend to let one group with select viewpoints to reign supreme. Not everyone's viewpoint is going to be popular but they all deserve equal representation. This is how real discussions are born. The alternative usually turns into a Fanboy back patting competition.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }