Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seriously??? I was a devoted fan of all ultima until this...

123457»

Comments

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

The game wouldn't even be made if not for crowd funding/donations. A game that I am dying to play...Ultima-esgue (Ultima III: Exodus for the C64 was my first foray into the realm) and overseen by the man..Lord British himself...will be available to me for a pittance or a pound. I can't afford very much myself but I donated. The free Alienware contribution was helpful. I will have no problem being able to enjoy a game that I had a very, very small part in getting developed. Even if I'm a nomad for most of the time (hell..the world needs wanderers too).  This is a game that might not have seen the light of day save for the donations of the big contributors at the start. Those who anchored this project down so that I might jump in and set sail when it launches. And when it does eventually launch..I'll walk by the mansions and castles of those same people, cheering and waving in thanks and appreciation. Even if I myself have only the ground at my back and a campfire when I lie down to sleep at night.

I logged in a few times for the last weekend 'update" . Just a small area was open and the housing lots for my examination. Other areas on the map were just placeholder zones. The houses were cool tho and the town ( or town block? )with its little taverns and a church. I'm glad I get to see it grow and change because it looks like it will become something really great. The crafting you could do was already pretty damn interesting . Very well done.

I look forward to checking in every weekend I can.

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

Certain kickstarter hit has made tens of millions by seling 3d rendered images of spaceships even though they got no game to show yet.

It's not a fool that sells, it's the fool who buys.

• MaribuMaribu Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by BarCrow

The game wouldn't even be made if not for crowd funding/donations. A game that I am dying to play...Ultima-esgue (Ultima III: Exodus for the C64 was my first foray into the realm) and overseen by the man..Lord British himself...will be available to me for a pittance or a pound. I can't afford very much myself but I donated. The free Alienware contribution was helpful. I will have no problem being able to enjoy a game that I had a very, very small part in getting developed. Even if I'm a nomad for most of the time (hell..the world needs wanderers too).  This is a game that might not have seen the light of day save for the donations of the big contributors at the start. Those who anchored this project down so that I might jump in and set sail when it launches. And when it does eventually launch..I'll walk by the mansions and castles of those same people, cheering and waving in thanks and appreciation. Even if I myself have only the ground at my back and a campfire when I lie down to sleep at night.

I logged in a few times for the last weekend 'update" . Just a small area was open and the housing lots for my examination. Other areas on the map were just placeholder zones. The houses were cool tho and the town ( or town block? )with its little taverns and a church. I'm glad I get to see it grow and change because it looks like it will become something really great. The crafting you could do was already pretty damn interesting . Very well done.

I look forward to checking in every weekend I can.

Well said.  I feel the same.  I got lucky and got a nice tax refund this year so was able to pledge higher than what I started with, but I would have been perfectly content to wait and get a house with in-game gold and having to look for a place to place it ala early UO.  IDOCs anyone?   :)

• blackcat35blackcat35 Member Posts: 479
    Originally posted by GungaDin
    Originally posted by Neo_Viper

A house / plot of land is not needed to play the game.  Its just extra fluff.

Strongly disagreed. In a theme park game maybe, but not in a sandbox game.

To me, housing in a sandbox is an essential part of the game.

I played UO without a home for over 1.5 yrs.  It was not "essential" to gameplay.  Plus, as in UO, you can be friended to homes or have access to guild establishments. 

Housing does not = sandbox. 

Sandbox is considered an open free roaming world.  Player housing is not part of the criterium. 

I disagree.  Your missing out on alot of the game when you don't own a house.  From deciding what you want to decorate to what functions each room will be, having your own house in ultima online was a major part of the game.  The main reason is because rares basically serve no other purpose other than to decorate your house.  I played for several years and had 2 houses, both 18 x 18 right next to each other.  I needed 2 accounts and subscribe to own those houses.  Owning houses was not cheap  I probably spend hundreds of dollars over several years for those houses, and passed them to in game friends before I left....  

==========================
    The game is dead not, this game is good we make it and Romania Tv give it 5 goat heads, this is good rating for game.

• blackcat35blackcat35 Member Posts: 479
    based on tabula rasa, I wouldn't pay for a game from Richard Garriot until it was proven to actually be worth it.  I am not certain that people will get a worthwhile game.  Based on the card combat system, its seeming like there vision is flawed.

==========================
    The game is dead not, this game is good we make it and Romania Tv give it 5 goat heads, this is good rating for game.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Neo_Viper

A house / plot of land is not needed to play the game.  Its just extra fluff.

Strongly disagreed. In a theme park game maybe, but not in a sandbox game.

To me, housing in a sandbox is an essential part of the game.

Housing (more broadly, player-owned structures)  is one of the more personal ways in which a player can affect the game world. I'm with Neo - it's a rather big deal for sandbox-focused MMOs. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• AztecAztec Member UncommonPosts: 101
    The normal houses are rather small and cramped unless you want to pay 11,000 usd for Lord of the Manor lol. That is right 11k in real US currency. Those mansions are rather roomy ;)
  • MERLIN_THE_GREATMERLIN_THE_GREAT Member Posts: 2
    Pre-alpha