Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do Away with Fates

13»

Comments

• Electro057Electro057 Member UncommonPosts: 683

Well seeing as I have no more quests in any of the areas, and I've completed the hunting log on my main and seen most of the monsters in the game....Which is sad cause I was hoping for a lot more model wise, rather than just renaming and rehashing a bunch of the mobs. Anyways the only way to get XP for me now is to either dungeon grind, and heaven forbid that because it seems most players don't know what they're doing...especially dragoons...Why are the dragoons so...so...."special". Also I could do levequests, except I hate them just as much as I hate dailies in any other game.

So ... WOOT FATES!

All I wanna do is *bang bang bang* Take your XP~

--Custom Rig: Pyraxis---
    NZXT Phantom 410 Case
    Intel Core i5-4690 Processor - Quad Core, 6MB Smart Cache, 3.5GHz
    Asus Sabertooth Z87 Motherboard
    Asus GeForce GTX 760 Video Card - 2GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0
    Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 16GB

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    Originally posted by vidiotking

That's what I think SE should do.

The Fates, atleast in their current form, make leveling too easy. Too much content can be skipped because of it.

It just seems cheap, and doesn't seem to fit the game in general. It's almost like an after thought.

I understand that from your third class on there are really no quests, but the present state of Fates is NOT a good solution.

Maybe they need to up the exp from Leves? 

Who's got some good ideas?

And how the hell people are supposed to level alt classes then? dungeon xp is utterly bad, guildhest xp dimnishes and is only good for one time, no main scenario, no sidequests, leves again shared on character so you need those for your other jobs too.

So all you got is hunting logs and fates. Nerf fates and see players quitting in masses.

Which are those "other jobs" you speak of?

Crafting has a reasonable leveling speed without using any levequest at all. So that leaves you with gathering classes. So yeah, you may perhaps need to choose between boosting your gathering class or your war/magic class; it is not a horrible choice.

There are other DOW and DOM classes too so unless they increase per day allowance simply increasing leve xp won't help much. The main thing that attract playres towards FFXIV is unlocking new jobs and nerfing FATES without coming up with better solutions will just make them lose players in masses.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

The Fates, atleast in their current form, make leveling too easy. Too much content can be skipped because of it.

It just seems cheap, and doesn't seem to fit the game in general. It's almost like an after thought.

I understand that from your third class on there are really no quests, but the present state of Fates is NOT a good solution.

And how the hell people are supposed to level alt classes then? dungeon xp is utterly bad, guildhest xp dimnishes and is only good for one time, no main scenario, no sidequests, leves again shared on character so you need those for your other jobs too.

So all you got is hunting logs and fates. Nerf fates and see players quitting in masses.

Crafting has a reasonable leveling speed without using any levequest at all. So that leaves you with gathering classes. So yeah, you may perhaps need to choose between boosting your gathering class or your war/magic class; it is not a horrible choice.

There are other DOW and DOM classes too so unless they increase per day allowance simply increasing leve xp won't help much. The main thing that attract playres towards FFXIV is unlocking new jobs and nerfing FATES without coming up with better solutions will just make them lose players in masses.

Yeah, you may be right there. The leveling speed has to be sufficientely high/low and if removing fates makes it too low, the consequences would be dire.

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030

Yeah, you may be right there. The leveling speed has to be sufficientely high/low and if removing fates makes it too low, the consequences would be dire.

Personally I think you hit the nail on the head.  Reduce FATE XP, OR increase Leve XP, Increase the allowances, or have something in place that allows you to earn extra allowances.  This way, like you were saying before players have a choice.

Yes, leves are essentially dailies, which we all know/hate.  Honestly though if you're using FATEs only to level up that third class let's say....whats the difference?  Zerg, or daily?  I realize there exist FATEs that are not that easy...but honestly at their core they are a zerg.  With no limit on participants people just gather in masses for the ones that are hard.  Hammer away for long enough at a stone wall and eventually it falls apart.  Admittedly, I have more fun with FATEs than leves, as they are not exactly the most exciting content.  But when it's superior to everything else you can do by such a large margin...it kinda ruins it.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Leveling without FATEs in this game would probably be the most boring MMO experience in existance. Also how else would you level your 4th class onwards?
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Leveling without FATEs in this game would probably be the most boring MMO experience in existance. Also how else would you level your 4th class onwards?

Nobody is using it for that though.  The vast majority of players are using it for their first, second, third classes because its so much more efficient than anything else.  Not JUST xp wise, but gil too.

• vidiotkingvidiotking Member Posts: 587

Limiting the number of FATES one can do a day, like the leves. I like this idea. With both limited leves/fates though, they should put in a mechanism to increase the number some how. Perhaps by doing a quest. Yes, another quest.

With a nerf to FATES there needs to be some other mechanism in place to get exp. Like maybe some more content... Maybe some side story quests.

Maybe UP the exp from dungeons.

There a some good ideas here. Many can agree that the current FATE situation is not good. I'd like to see it change.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I wouldn't get rid of them. Right now they are one of the few ways to get GC seals.

I would just lower the xp reward to bring it in line with doing a dungeon. Dungeons I feel are about right as far as xp/time goes.

Doing a dungeon for 30-45 min should be roughly equal to grinding fates for 30-45 min. Doing leves for 30-45 min should be slightly higher, since there are a limited number of leve allowances - I think it's close for battle classes, but way too high for the crafting/gathering trades right now. They really need to bump the xp bonus for guildheists as well, those are pitifully low after you get the first-time bonus - so much so that there's no point at all in doing them a second time.

Just need to be some tweaks to the xp/reward output really. I don't think it's totally broken, just a bit out of whack - rebalance the xp a bit on all the activities, and take into account the rewards aside from xp (seals/gear/currency/etc), as well as the other limitations (leve allowance, group forming, etc).

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Originally posted by gamesrfun
    Originally posted by sumdumguy1
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Why not just not do them? Because you don't like it, nobody should? Am I understanding you correctly?

Wow an honest to goodness simple solution to the problem, yet we continue to vent.  Simple answer to the OP's issue. 

It is not a simple answer.  

A majority of players who buy an MMO play to LEVEL their character (until endgame).  It is the prima facie carrot stick.  Whether you are gaining skills, attributes, unlocking content, or whatever combination thereof, most MMOs celebrate level acquisition.

FFXIV does not deviate from this model.  

THEREFORE, when you include a mechanism which, quite literally, exponentially expedites the process and by VIRTUE OF THIS passively discourage the rest of the game, you have a major problem.

It is not a "minor" problem.  And there is no easy solution.

The is a simple choice, do fates or do not do them.  It doesn't ruin anything, accept for the way you want the game to be.  I do respect that if tis your choice, but as stated in many other posts, many people don't share your same opinion.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Fine, but allow side quests to be repeated on classes that havent done them yet.

Why not just not do them? Because you don't like it, nobody should? Am I understanding you correctly?

Wow an honest to goodness simple solution to the problem, yet we continue to vent.  Simple answer to the OP's issue. 

A majority of players who buy an MMO play to LEVEL their character (until endgame).  It is the prima facie carrot stick.  Whether you are gaining skills, attributes, unlocking content, or whatever combination thereof, most MMOs celebrate level acquisition.

THEREFORE, when you include a mechanism which, quite literally, exponentially expedites the process and by VIRTUE OF THIS passively discourage the rest of the game, you have a major problem.

The is a simple choice, do fates or do not do them.  It doesn't ruin anything, accept for the way you want the game to be.  I do respect that if tis your choice, but as stated in many other posts, many people don't share your same opinion.

That's okay, let the subs drop off (as they usually do) after the free period and then see how people are using the duty finder vs FATEs.  You'll give a shit when you can't progress because everyone is spamming them lmfao.

• Shatter30Shatter30 Member UncommonPosts: 487
    Its funny, if there wasnt  a decent way to level up people would complain its grindy, but they gave players an option to level up faster and still complain lol.  FYI, Yoshi already said he's letting players enjoy doing Fates, they do not plan to change them at the moment...imagine that, a company letting the players continue to do something they enjoy or is at least productive if you spend the time doing it and they don't plan to take it away!
  • kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Do away with posts like these.
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514

Like the Fates; hate the mob of mindless zerglings that ruins them all.

The fates themselves are fun with small groups of players who happen to be nearby.  Seeing 60 sheeple roll up on every one of them like a swarm of locusts straight out of hell kills fates for me, though.

I liked GW2, but the dynamic event zerg chain was awful.  Seeing it as the main form of play in yet another game makes me want to vomit.

Summary: The fates are fine, but they should be nerfed down so people don't just circle around them all day like vultures waiting to pick clean a carcass.

To be fair to the locust-people:  I guess there really isn't all that much else to do for levelling other than dungeons... and if you are a DPS it's not really plausible to queue them without a personal group.

Hopefully they'll realize the flaw with the Fates system and patch/nerf some stuff.  It would be nice to see actual challenging fights rather than 7 mobs getting mowed down by 10x their number in players.

Does anyone else remember the days when mobs used to actually outnumber players?  It's been a while...

This so much. 

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Originally posted by Kajidourden

That's okay, let the subs drop off (as they usually do) after the free period and then see how people are using the duty finder vs FATEs.  You'll give a shit when you can't progress because everyone is spamming them lmfao.

Lol you really believe this after what Yoshi said, amazing.  Read other people's posts.  As I said, just because you don't like it, doesn't make it the same for everyone else.