Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are zones so small in this game? (disappointed as an explorer)

2»

Comments

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by LacedOpium
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

Even though i leveled to 50 on my lancer and saw every nook and corner, the explorer inside me was left unsatisfied and wanting more. The maps are too small and i feel claustrophobic in zones.

At first when i heard about mounts being introduced in the game i thought great, i won't have to run around in huge world of final fantasy. But my chocobo was better served as my healing companion.

I run everywhere on foot. Mount hardly makes a difference thanks to small maps. The pathing is designed very much like 1.0, linear paths, invisible walls which block you and won't let you jump off the ledge or small obstacles. Many times i felt i was playing WITCHER 2. 

World is anything but open, npc are stuck to one spot with glue under their feet. There is no movement, no life in cities or in outposts. NPC's are just standing there waiting to hand you your next task. The only thing going on for it is the background music and sound effects but that can only go so far to give you sense of immersion when everything else is so static.

Small zones devoid of any life... was this intentional? i discussed about this with my FC mates and they said it could be because SE wanted to maintain visual quality. But then i remembered TERA which looks as impressive and even more in some areas and yet have much bigger zones.

So what could be the reason behind such small maps in FFXIV? was it really just about visual quality or this is all they could muster up in the time they had? anyone else who loves to explore completely disappointed by the size of the world in FFXIV?

Disappointed as an explorer?  Really?   I'd be interested to know how this disappointment differs from any of your numerous prior posts in which you bash FF:ARR for any of a number of baseless claims.  I find it surprising that you are even playing the game, much less exploring in it given that by reading your prior posts anyone would come to the obvious conclusion that you simply hate the game.  In fact, I'd even go as far as to proclaim you the "Chairman Of the Negative Crew."  Posing as a "disappointed explorer" when the truth is that all you are trying to do is criticize the game is a bit low, don't you think? We aren't all as gullible as we may appear on these boards.  You seem obsessed.  What's your next thread going to be , "Disappointed by the lack of rest time given in Inns."  Countdown 3 ... 2 ... 1 

I hit 50 a  while ago (that is how i made 1 to 50 lvling guide)  so this is my experince that i am sharing with people. Instead of attacking me why not stick to the topic? only because i made this topic today doesn't mean i had this revelation just a few hours ago while playing the game and logged off to rush to forums to make a topic about it.

This is something that has bothered me from day one. And i have discussed it with my friends as well as FC members. But since you are keeping tabs on what i have been posting how come you didn't mention the part where i said that leveling is the best part of the game and i really enjoyed the class/job system? ofcourse not you won't mention that. And who are these 'we' and what baseless claims? please elaborate.

Next time if you can not refrain from personal attacks i suggest ignore my posts. 

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Not being able to swim is really hindering on the limitations, though Yoshi-P said he would want content for when they implement swimming. This game is really weak on the exploration, but the zone designs is what keeps me impressed. I was really hoping there'd be alot more caves or buildings to delve in, but that's why I got GW2 for.
  • Hitman211Hitman211 Member Posts: 52

My theory on "WHY" has to do with three things.

First of all the old open world game engine was horribly built, I think they scrapped it for good.  The game engine we are using now *feels* like the Sleeping Dogs game engine.  Benefits are that it runs great and issue free.  Problem is there seems to be a max size you can create any given area.

Then there's the attention to detail. It is easier to make a more detailed and meaningful world when you have to deal with set maps instanced together like some form of load screen yarn.

Finally there was the time aspect.  Game was completely remade into what you see today in a few years.  A very short time.

So we have the swapping from a bad open world game engine to a good non open world engine...a lack of time, and the benefit of being able to make the areas more detailed in their craped schedule.

Personally I always prefer the open world set up.  Im not going to hate a good game because its not open world.  I actually don't mind load screens all that much to be honest.  I think people make this a larger deal than it has to be.

Some of the maps in this game are pretty large, others not so much.

As far as future maps and future development they might go the AOC route and make transitioning between maps seem less like instancing and more like traveling through a narrow pass...and they might makes new areas more open...who knows.

Fact of the matter is you can run everywhere in the world, you are going to want to use the teleport, favored destination, and recall system since its a big world despite instancing...and you are going to be running instanced dungeons for most of your game play unless you quit the first month having gotten to 50 and no interest in endgame.

If open world is a deal breaker, skip this game though.

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    Listening to the Bombcast this week and they got into a wee rant about why do people always have to feel like every product should be specifically made for them?

Something along those lines. Which yea, wtf don't like it, who cares? I don't like "fertilizer", anyone who listened to the cast will get that.
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Originally posted by khameleon
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    More than likely PS3 limitations.

This is not true at all.

This game was made for PC and then ported to the PS3 after. So they didn't limit the zones because of that at all. 

Not true at all.

They talked about making the game for both PC and PS3 already very early in the development. From the original FF XIV you could see that things like UI were designed to work for the consoles. It's not a PC game that later got a console version added, but a game that's been designed, built, and now also launched, for both PC and PS3.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847

Originally posted by QSatu
    they had to remake the game in 2 years. This is one of the results of that. Making maps is time consuming. 
    Unfortunately the most likely answer will be the one ignored.

They had to remake the entire game world.

• JuaksJuaks Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    Originally posted by mithrillion
    Originally posted by DocBrody

Sounds exactly like SWTOR..

You really should try Age of Conan, none of these problems are there, the world opens up beautifully after the starter Island, and it's HUGE

http://youtu.be/00dHRBaX-f0&hd=1

What? In my opinion SWTOR is a game with one of the better map designs. It has large explorable maps, below average zoning except in docks/fleets, hidden areas that you won't discover by merely going through missions, and a consistent art style for each of the planets. Some of the planets are on the scale of a whole continent in WoW, so "small and restricted" definitely does not apply to it.

Tatooine alone is bigger than entire Black Shroud area combined together. That is how pathetically small maps are in FFXIV. You feel like you are trapped in a shoe box.

Did you ever consider that Tatooine is a PLANET?

And comparing a single player game to an MMO is ridiculous.Your comparisons are awful . Get real.

• Juice2000Juice2000 Member UncommonPosts: 95
    I think the size of the maps are more a result of the limited amount of time they had to make ARR. Since the announcement that they were begining work on ARR to its release they had just over a year to bring out a whole new game. I imagine this greatly reduced the amount time allocated to design each zone. How about we wait till the first new map and we see what they do with more time and focus available to them.  
  • time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    its cuz of the PS3 restrictions. 

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Meh.  Huge open worlds just for the sake of being huge open worlds do not appeal to me at all, content > space. 
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Kajidourden
    Meh.  Huge open worlds just for the sake of being huge open worlds do not appeal to me at all, content > space. 

Well the problem is that FFARR is pretty light on content as well, so.....

Small world with limited content.

I think the right answer is they rushed it (as someone above pointed out) and ended up with a small world and not much content that even casual players will go through in the first month.

If they worked on it for another year - the game needs about 50% more of everything IMO.

So...huge open world with little content?  Yeah, that makes sense.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

It's starting to become somewhat of a pro more so than a con for me.  This is mainly because I've chastised games HUGE zones in the past whereby you never see another player, much less a different faction (if available).  With these smaller, yet beautifully crafted zones I almost always feel like there are people in the game.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

It's starting to become somewhat of a pro more so than a con for me.  This is mainly because I've chastised games HUGE zones in the past whereby you never see another player, much less a different faction (if available).  With these smaller, yet beautifully crafted zones I almost always feel like there are people in the game.

Yar

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Thorqemada

Yeah, i wonder why there are so few "Haters" posting about the small size of Zones and the overabundance "Loading Screens" - that is one of the very weak points if the game!

Snif, if it would be ONLY that .... would be great. Besides problem with size, players are well protected by miriad of invisible walls preventing them doing to themselves and harm by jumping from to high, bad quests, every alt has his own layout of virutally anything, unique gcd, ... besides no spam reporting (because obviously spammers in ff does not exists), Fate failure, ... 

I have incredibli positive memories to FF series and Square Enix was very high on my preffered list ... but what have they failed to ruin with 1.0, they have finished with ARR, record holder of how fast have quit out of 30 days free. Lost all wish to play after aprox 3 days (normal, week days) ... simply could not force myself to login back. Shame.

• dyermaker714dyermaker714 Member UncommonPosts: 192

Yeah, i wonder why there are so few "Haters" posting about the small size of Zones and the overabundance "Loading Screens" - that is one of the very weak points if the game!

This is literally the reason I won't play this game. A non seamless world in 2013? Thats a joke. I can't think of very many things that can kill immersion more than a loading screen or invisible walls. That's not a world. Was very disappointed when I found out this game wasn't seamless
  • malamor666malamor666 Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by dyermaker714

This is literally the reason I won't play this game. A non seamless world in 2013? Thats a joke. I can't think of very many things that can kill immersion more than a loading screen or invisible walls. That's not a world. Was very disappointed when I found out this game wasn't seamless

But it's Final Faliure 14! It has outdated dated combat and quest systems..justified by fanboi's cries of 'old-school'. Game is a stale turd with a new new skirt on..anyone who isn't a die hard is out before 30 days...cocoboo  tweety bird riding or not..maybe the barbie for grown up's  crowd who like the trans-gender cosmetic art style might stick....real gamer's..not so much.