Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Happiness = Reality - Expectations

2»

Comments

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

This could very well apply to why many MMO gamers feel many MMOs today suck.

http://www.waitbutwhy.com/2013/09/why-generation-y-yuppies-are-unhappy.html

That looks like Electronic Arts recruitment program.

But lets talk about computers and  games a little and why people are expecting to get better games its quite simple math.

More powerful platforms and less powerful games,something does not match,why ?

because of these peeps who cant see that tools today are far better than they were yesterday.

These peeps dont have high enough expectations and therefore they dont know what to do with them.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• Neo_ViperNeo_Viper Member UncommonPosts: 609

There is a category of people who actually feed on other's misery. There are quite a few here on this forum. For instance, there is one guy whose posts are all about bashing one single game, he doesn't have a post about anything else, almost 300 posts just about that single game, all negative, all saying the game is doomed and is failing. I won't give a name, that's not the point, but that's a good illustration of what forum posters are all about mostly.

Why?

Simple... that kind of people feed on confrontation, and also dislike the fact that others can be happy with something they aren't happy with. Everyone must be as miserable as they are, happy people can only be wrong.

I'm simply happy - yeah I am - to not be in those people's shoes. It must be a really sad life.

My computer is better than yours.

• FinalFikusFinalFikus Member Posts: 906
    Originally posted by Neo_Viper

There is a category of people who actually feed on other's misery. There are quite a few here on this forum. For instance, there is one guy whose posts are all about bashing one single game, he doesn't have a post about anything else, almost 300 posts just about that single game, all negative, all saying the game is doomed and is failing. I won't give a name, that's not the point, but that's a good illustration of what forum posters are all about mostly.

Why?

Simple... that kind of people feed on confrontation, and also dislike the fact that others can be happy with something they aren't happy with. Everyone must be as miserable as they are, happy people can only be wrong.

I'm simply happy - yeah I am - to not be in those people's shoes. It must be a really sad life.

Great. You're happy because you're better.

The op says peoples expectations are off.

Ive asked what do we need to expect then? What do you think of the topic?

"If the Damned gave you a roadmap, then you'd know just where to go"

Originally posted by FinalFikus

Why?

What I think about the topic was clear enough in my previous post, at least I hoped so. These forums aren't representative of the general player base. It's used as a soapbox by a specific category of people to whine non-stop about every single game released.

It's not about expectations, it's about mentality. The vast majority of people who are happy with the game(s) they play aren't posting here. People rarely post when they are busy having fun.

And of course, there's the "fun" of pissing in other people's cheerios, aka going on forums of games you don't even play and bash that game to annoy the players. Being an ass on the Internet never gets old.

Short version: I think the vast majority of players are happy with the games they play. It's only a vocal minority who whine on forums like this one. Most people's expectations are met.

Why?

What I think about the topic was clear enough in my previous post, at least I hoped so. These forums aren't representative of the general player base. It's used as a soapbox by a specific category of people to whine non-stop about every single game released.

It's not about expectations, it's about mentality. The vast majority of people who are happy with the game(s) they play aren't posting here. People rarely post when they are busy having fun.

And of course, there's the "fun" of pissing in other people's cheerios, aka going on forums of games you don't even play and bash that game to annoy the players. Being an ass on the Internet never gets old.

So it's not about expectations letting people down causing unhappiness?

Where do you think people's unhappiness with the current mmorpgs comes from then?

Why?

So it's not about expectations letting people down causing unhappiness?

Where do you think people's unhappiness with the current mmorpgs comes from then?

It's not because a few grumpy "vets" are whining here daily that the majority is unhappy. Actually, the majority is in game and playing, having fun.

I don't believe in that "unhappiness". There are more people playing this genre now than ever. Those unhappy few are the exception, and as I said, some people are just never happy anyway, and some others are just happy to be unhappy and annoy the happy people (if that makes sense).

I'm going to give you an example... I dislike Harry Potter. I don't like the books or the movies, even though I'm a huge fan of fantasy since the age when I was able to read books. Does my unhappiness with Harry Potter turn me into some kind of majority? Nope, millions of fans enjoy those books and movies all over the world. The only possible difference with the grumpy people here is that you won't find me on some Harry Potter forum bashing the series, but that's called maturity, something many people lose as soon as they are anonymous on the Internet.

Point made. A few grumpy old farts whining on a forum that "the genre is ruined", "it's all too easy", "it was better in EQ", etc... don't illustrate a general unhappyness with the genre.

It's not because a few grumpy "vets" are whining here daily that the majority is unhappy. Actually, the majority is in game and playing, having fun.

I don't believe in that "unhappiness". There are more people playing this genre now than ever. Those unhappy few are the exception, and as I said, some people are just never happy anyway, and some others are just happy to be unhappy and annoy the happy people (if that makes sense).

I'm going to give you an example... I dislike Harry Potter. I don't like the books or the movies, even though I'm a huge fan of fantasy since the age when I was able to read books. Does my unhappiness with Harry Potter turn me into some kind of majority? Nope, millions of fans enjoy those books and movies all over the world. The only possible difference with the grumpy people here is that you won't find me on some Harry Potter forum bashing the series, but that's called maturity, something many people lose as soon as they are anonymous on the Internet.

Point made. A few grumpy old farts whining on a forum that "the genre is ruined", "it's all too easy", "it was better in EQ", etc... don't illustrate a general unhappyness with the genre.

Thanks for the clarification.

The majority of unhappy or happy never say a word. So ya, people playing aren't complaining, but neither are the people who quit. The forum users are a sample of the players. Not the unhappy few as we've been told. Just as many fans are on the forums as haters. Just as many haters stay silent as fans.

You're analogy is flawed as well.  If all fiction before and after were changed to be harry potter clones, then your analogy would be applicable. Of coarse that would be ridiculous. That's were we are though. I don't know what all the whining is about. Cant figure it out.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Novusod

The real saying is make your own reality. There is always a silver lining to every cloud but if you blind yourself to it you will never see it. The people seeking mediocrity just so they aren't disappointed are being defeatist. For every shut door there is usually an open window somewhere. Some good can usually be found in even the worst games but it takes an open mind to realize it. The defeatist route where people set expectations so low they can't fail is a crazy and depressing way to go through life. Being an optimist is the only to get any enjoyment out of anything. Hope springs eternal the old saying goes.

I don't quite share your take on things there, but I do admire your outlook and optimism.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

While I agree in principle, what happens when a player has zero expectations? Does that automatically mean ultimate happiness?

If you enter something with realistic expectations your emotional reaction to the experience will ultimately be more reasoned, thus better for you and less stressful than thinking "this is the one" as many do with the next big MMO that's releasing. This applies to all aspects of life as well.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Novusod

The real saying is make your own reality. There is always a silver lining to every cloud but if you blind yourself to it you will never see it. The people seeking mediocrity just so they aren't disappointed are being defeatist. For every shut door there is usually an open window somewhere. Some good can usually be found in even the worst games but it takes an open mind to realize it. The defeatist route where people set expectations so low they can't fail is a crazy and depressing way to go through life. Being an optimist is the only to get any enjoyment out of anything. Hope springs eternal the old saying goes.

I don't quite share your take on things there, but I do admire your outlook and optimism.

What is your take then? Because I have a hard time seeing the point of this thread, but I'm human so I could obviously be wrong or miss something...

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Calerxes

Originally posted by AlBQuirky While I agree in principle, what happens when a player has zero expectations? Does that automatically mean ultimate happiness?

If you enter something with realistic expectations your emotional reaction to the experience will ultimately be more reasoned, thus better for you and less stressful than thinking "this is the one" as many do with the next big MMO that's releasing. This applies to all aspects of life as well.

Oh, I agree. Us Humans, though, have a very tough time NOT creating expectations of some kind in every aspect of our lives.

Sometimes, we are lead down the path of expectations in MMOs. EQ Next brings up expectations of EverQuest. The Elder Scrolls: Online brings up expectations of the single player Elder Scrolls games. Now, what those specific expectations are will make all the difference in a player's eventual "happiness." This is a double edged sword as the developers/publishers use these expectations to create hype and draw in the players of the known IP, yet also set themselves up for stringent critiques.

If either EQNext or TES:O were "just another MMO", my expectations would be much, much lower and they could be great MMOs, which I may enjoy. As it is, I find I don't have much interest in either game.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

Originally posted by AlBQuirky While I agree in principle, what happens when a player has zero expectations? Does that automatically mean ultimate happiness?

Oh, I agree. Us Humans, though, have a very tough time NOT creating expectations of some kind in every aspect of our lives.

Sometimes, we are lead down the path of expectations in MMOs. EQ Next brings up expectations of EverQuest. The Elder Scrolls: Online brings up expectations of the single player Elder Scrolls games. Now, what those specific expectations are will make all the difference in a player's eventual "happiness." This is a double edged sword as the developers/publishers use these expectations to create hype and draw in the players of the known IP, yet also set themselves up for stringent critiques.

If either EQNext or TES:O were "just another MMO", my expectations would be much, much lower and they could be great MMOs, which I may enjoy. As it is, I find I don't have much interest in either game.

But then... I strongly disliked (I hate the word "hated") GW1, yet GW2 is one of my favorite games.

I was expecting nothing from GW2, yet it managed to surprise me.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

While I agree in principle, what happens when a player has zero expectations? Does that automatically mean ultimate happiness?
    Oh, I agree. Us Humans, though, have a very tough time NOT creating expectations of some kind in every aspect of our lives.Sometimes, we are lead down the path of expectations in MMOs. EQ Next brings up expectations of EverQuest. The Elder Scrolls: Online brings up expectations of the single player Elder Scrolls games. Now, what those specific expectations are will make all the difference in a player's eventual "happiness." This is a double edged sword as the developers/publishers use these expectations to create hype and draw in the players of the known IP, yet also set themselves up for stringent critiques.If either EQNext or TES:O were "just another MMO", my expectations would be much, much lower and they could be great MMOs, which I may enjoy. As it is, I find I don't have much interest in either game.
    But then... I strongly disliked (I hate the word "hated") GW1, yet GW2 is one of my favorite games.I was expecting nothing from GW2, yet it managed to surprise me.
    You were lucky and had your expectations in a "good place." :D

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

The majority of unhappy or happy never say a word. So ya, people playing aren't complaining, but neither are the people who quit. The forum users are a sample of the players. Not the unhappy few as we've been told. Just as many fans are on the forums as haters. Just as many haters stay silent as fans.

You're analogy is flawed as well.  If all fiction before and after were changed to be harry potter clones, then your analogy would be applicable. Of coarse that would be ridiculous. That's were we are though. I don't know what all the whining is about. Cant figure it out.

I agree with FinalFikus, MMORPG.com is made up of happy, unhappy and indifferent posters and there are many reasoned debates about many aspects of MMO's. The forum to me is an exchange of knowledge if you are willing to observe carefully who is who on these boards. For me I'm happy with the current state of MMO's but I'm also unhappy about the PR hype created by companies which attracts the euphoric fanboi to knock down any critique or concerns that a player might have when looking into a new MMO to play only to months later change their mind or disappear from the forum altogether. I also understand the frustrations of many older players seeing their beloved gaming genre turn away from what they initially thought it was but I'm don't think all of them are miserable haters. You can tell a troll post from a genuine concern quite easily.

The point about expectations though runs deeper than just hype, it runs to expecting MMO's to magically change their course back into something that you had hoped they would be or every new MMO being PvP, PvE, Raid, open world, sandbox, story focussed or whatever your personal preference is. If you look at single player games the innovation and evolution in them is just a slow as with MMO's, shooters are still shooters, RTS' are still very similar to each other, same with click and point adventures, platform games, action adventures, ARPG's. But every now and again there is a formation of a new type of game, the most recent being MOBA's, 15 years ago it was MMO's, before that TBS turned into RTS.

Saying that though of course there is room for improvement in MMO's and looking back isn't that bad an idea but the genre isn't going to magically change into what you expected it to be overnight and it probably will never do that. So keeping expectation lower and in check is much better than just being disappointed time and time again and I hope over time this will get across to players and the hype train will lose its power.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

I too, many years ago, went through my "rite of passage" with the hype created around new games so I agree it is tough to keep hype in check especially when gaming companies use it to open your wallet. That's why I feel we who have come through this merry-go-round and now have lesser expectations and are somewhat immune to the hype surrounding games can hopefully, without being condescending, educate those who are caught up in the same hamster wheel of hype and disappointment. Thus we can get a more reasoned debate around the pro's and con's of a particular game without it turning into another pointless flamewar.

I agree with FinalFikus, MMORPG.com is made up of happy, unhappy and indifferent posters and there are many reasoned debates about many aspects of MMO's. The forum to me is an exchange of knowledge if you are willing to observe carefully who is who on these boards. For me I'm happy with the current state of MMO's but I'm also unhappy about the PR hype created by companies which attracts the euphoric fanboi to knock down any critique or concerns that a player might have when looking into a new MMO to play only to months later change their mind or disappear from the forum altogether. I also understand the frustrations of many older players seeing their beloved gaming genre turn away from what they initially thought it was but I'm don't think all of them are miserable haters. You can tell a troll post from a genuine concern quite easily.

The point about expectations though runs deeper than just hype, it runs to expecting MMO's to magically change their course back into something that you had hoped they would be or every new MMO being PvP, PvE, Raid, open world, sandbox, story focussed or whatever your personal preference is. If you look at single player games the innovation and evolution in them is just a slow as with MMO's, shooters are still shooters, RTS' are still very similar to each other, same with click and point adventures, platform games, action adventures, ARPG's. But every now and again there is a formation of a new type of game, the most recent being MOBA's, 15 years ago it was MMO's, before that TBS turned into RTS.

Saying that though of course there is room for improvement in MMO's and looking back isn't that bad an idea but the genre isn't going to magically change into what you expected it to be overnight and it probably will never do that. So keeping expectation lower and in check is much better than just being disappointed time and time again and I hope over time this will get across to players and the hype train will lose its power.

I wish I could express myself as well as you.

Anyways,

You cant even expect a game you play and love to be the same game a month later. People "were" happy until a patch.

It's literally impossible to manage expectations. Do you think WoW players expected Bliz to change the game into something they no longer like, after so much success? How do you manage expectations or create bonds in that environment? You don't.

I'm a WoW player who dislikes what they have done to the game in the last two expansions. Yet you won't find me bashing the game in every existing forum.

Some people's life just seems to be only reliant on the ability to play video games. How else to you explain such a fanatism about something that is just a leisure activity? Those people need a doctor. A real one.

I'm a WoW player who dislikes what they have done to the game in the last two expansions. Yet you won't find me bashing the game in every existing forum.

Some people's life just seems to be only reliant on the ability to play video games. How else to you explain such a fanatism about something that is just a leisure activity? Those people need a doctor. A real one.

Why is criticising something bashing? if you don't like the direction a game is taking you have the right to start a debate and if you feel passionately about it you can keep on debating. Nothing wrong with that just keep your expectations in check about what can be achieved, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Why is criticising something bashing? if you don't like the direction a game is taking you have the right to start a debate and if you feel passionately about it you can keep on debating. Nothing wrong with that just keep your expectations in check about what can be achieved, Rome wasn't built in a day.

I don't think I ever said criticising is bashing. What I said is that people go on a crusade against specific games, which is definitely pathetic.

You posting one single negative post about a game before quitting is is no problem. You staying on that game's forum 6+ months after stopping playing it just to bash it IS pathetic.

And yet, you end up in the same place.

You are a much better human for not going into a game's forums to bash the game, instead going into game's forums to bash people. Quite healthy.

I assume you are new to gaming if you don't know bad games have been a plague to all video games not just mmorogs. Here's a damn commercial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8y--yR5APs to refresh your memory. Every gamer in the world can relate to that.

If you need a history lesson on fanatics, Im sure someone will explain it to you. Maybe a doctor could do it?

Good luck with your problem. At least you have a game you love and are playing.....

I don't think I ever said criticising is bashing. What I said is that people go on a crusade against specific games, which is definitely pathetic.

You posting one single negative post about a game before quitting is is no problem. You staying on that game's forum 6+ months after stopping playing it just to bash it IS pathetic.

I assumed that because the amount of people actually on crusades against games is very small, unless its a star wars game of course. I really see a perception problem in regards to these boards that someone who has genuine criticism and fights his/her corner is considered a troll and hater and vice versa, but really many posters just find it hard to get their point across as others are on the attack immediately especially when its a critique. Also something I've seen multiple times is the honeymoon period defence of a game only to later agree with the original complaints or concerns. If people actually listened to others and not just dismiss their posts as trollish we might get somewhere. 

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

But could all those disappointed expectations not be down to the Hype?

Pre Launch Happiness = Reality + Hype

Post Launch Happiness = Reality

• worldalphaworldalpha Member Posts: 403
    Every game has a certain amount of hype.  Trying to live up to that hype cn be difficult.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Working on Social Strategy MMORTS (now Launched!) http://www.worldalpha.com