Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The reason I think FFXIV is going to fail: Staying power

Comments

• CymdaiCymdai Member UncommonPosts: 1,043

I wrote a review for this game a few days ago. If you read my posts here, and collectively through that review, you'll get a pretty good idea on what I like/dislike about the game.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/678050-final-fantasy-xiv-online-a-realm-reborn/reviews/review-155614

Also, since my original post, I have now acquired 50LTW, 50 WVR, 40 GSM, 50 BRD. I've completed all the Hard Mode Primals at least one time, and almost have my relic weapon + 1.  I have NOT done BC yet, but that's because I've been focusing on helping fellow guild members with content. 

Reading through the posts, I wanted to comment on a few other things.

1) Endgame will not take months. In fact, it took me just under a week to successfully kill all hard mode primals. While I am not even in full dark light, and I definitely was extremely lucky to beat HM Titan (he's very hard!), Ifrit was laughable. Garuda is still challenging.

2) Once you level multiple crafts to 50 (which is progressively easier with every craft you max) there is less and less reason to use the AH. You can also HQ nearly anything, especially once you max GSM + any other craft you choose. Innovation is incredible, period.

3) Gil-sellers and their exploits have completely sabotaged the crystal market. It's still perfectly possible to make gil at low levels doing this, but you'll be competing against the node-teleporting botters, who undercut prices intensely.

4) Once you beat all the primals, there isn't really anything left to do at all, sans for BC. Due to the mythology hard caps ("false" progress cap) you'll be delayed on gear upgrades, even if you have more time to dedicate to AK runs.

My closing thought on the matter is that whatever content is rolled out next, it absolutely NEEDS to be a massive timesink. With under 1 month played, I've now essentially completed nearly everything I ever sought to do in the game.

Waiting for something fresh to arrive on the MMO scene...

• Robert_S4Robert_S4 Member Posts: 142

Normal dungeon group size is 4 players in FFXIV.

Normal dungeon group size in World of Warcraft is 5 players.

Normal dungeon group size in Everquest 2 is 6 players.

Solution: Do like Everquest 2, 1 tank, 1 healer, 4 dps = 6 player groups.

It shouldn't have been much of a problem to scale the content to that size and figure things out.

Waiting times for dps for dungeons would've been a lot shorter.

Putting one tank, one healer, with only two dps, is completely stupid.

Of course it's gonna get bottlenecked for the dps, completely, when you have tens of thousands of people playing.

The majority will be playing dps, that's just how it is with people.

We're talking about a game that's been in development for years.

People, sitting down and thinking, figuring out, and that's as far as they get. Jeez...

Stats on gear has too less meaning, it should have scaled better and jumped a bit further.

I was personally very disappointed with the stats and scaling system.

You can look at a chest armor level 15, white one, compare it with another armor, say level 25.

That's 10 levels difference but the stat distribution difference is quite poor.

When looking up level 50 gear on the auction I got shocked at how less stats they had on them.

If you can survive through the grind, I guess farming fates is an easy way to get to 50.

Personally I think it's stupid, I cannot bear to just go around from fate to fate like a darn sheep, just doing what the developer wants me to do, in such a direct way.

Dungeons give way too less XP.

Other activities in general gives way too less XP.

Not good...

Talking about the longetivity of FFXIV, here goes:

We're talking about people that's been in the gaming industry for a LONG-ass time.

They should know their stuff, clearly they don't.

For the things mentioned, the game will take a hard beating in the 1-2 month after release mark.

I'm quite sure of this.

I wanted to like / love FFXIV.

Seeing as I am gameless right now, I just have no desire to sit and play the piece of turd that is World of Warcraft anymore.

Ships sailed for good with the type of mindless "content" Blizzard are putting out in their game.

Edit: Oh, and a 2.5 second base global cooldown, is quite crazy in my opinion.

I don't mind a bit slower combat compared to some of the other MMORPG's out there, but 2.5 seconds, that's just, GAH!

The people and the friends that we have lost, and the dreams that have faded, never forget them~

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Cymdai
    I wrote a review for this game a few days ago. If you read my posts here, and collectively through that review, you'll get a pretty good idea on what I like/dislike about the game.http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/678050-final-fantasy-xiv-online-a-realm-reborn/reviews/review-155614Also, since my original post, I have now acquired 50LTW, 50 WVR, 40 GSM, 50 BRD. I've completed all the Hard Mode Primals at least one time, and almost have my relic weapon + 1.  I have NOT done BC yet, but that's because I've been focusing on helping fellow guild members with content. Reading through the posts, I wanted to comment on a few other things.1) Endgame will not take months. In fact, it took me just under a week to successfully kill all hard mode primals. While I am not even in full dark light, and I definitely was extremely lucky to beat HM Titan (he's very hard!), Ifrit was laughable. Garuda is still challenging.2) Once you level multiple crafts to 50 (which is progressively easier with every craft you max) there is less and less reason to use the AH. You can also HQ nearly anything, especially once you max GSM + any other craft you choose. Innovation is incredible, period.3) Gil-sellers and their exploits have completely sabotaged the crystal market. It's still perfectly possible to make gil at low levels doing this, but you'll be competing against the node-teleporting botters, who undercut prices intensely.4) Once you beat all the primals, there isn't really anything left to do at all, sans for BC. Due to the mythology hard caps ("false" progress cap) you'll be delayed on gear upgrades, even if you have more time to dedicate to AK runs. My closing thought on the matter is that whatever content is rolled out next, it absolutely NEEDS to be a massive timesink. With under 1 month played, I've now essentially completed nearly everything I ever sought to do in the game.
    Awesome! I've been playing the same amount of time as you and have only done about 1/10th of the game as you have. That means I have about a year of content ahead of me not including all the content patches during that time. Thanks for the info! This game will keep me busy for a very long time.
  • skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

If the game is so easy then why are people paying to have guilds take them through to get their relics done?

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• naZchoconaZchoco Member Posts: 82

i hit 50 this week.

lord oh lord - i have so much content i still have to do and i have finished story line. 

i just made a post of all the things i'm looking forward to 150 hours in and a month into the game - it's truly incredible. 

it asked me to subscribe 4 nights ago - and you best believe i didn't think twice.

• LeGrosGamerLeGrosGamer Member UncommonPosts: 223

It's funny no one is pointing this out, but in regards of gear, yes gearing up is pointless since the monsters will do damage relative to your level.  Keep the same gear let's say level 30 and face a level 35 monster. You'll have a hard time, now go away and level up to 34 and go back to the level 35 monster with the same level 30 gear.  Notice how weak the monster is hitting you and how your hitting somewhat harder?   It's like the game is based on level vs level and gear has barely no effect.  Level up to 40 and go back to that level 35 monster with the same level 30 gear, and the monster will be missing you and doing way less damage.    It's just something I noticed and found weird.    It reminds me a lot of Age of Conan when it first released, the equipment was so out of whack that everyone was level 40+ with level 10 gear, since gear back then had no real effect on the out come of a battle.

For the gold spammers, yes they do spam but after black listing them I don't get any spam for a few days so it ain't as bad as people say.  Those players that complain are those that barely play 2 hours a day, I can understand that when they log in they get flooded by gold spammers. 

I am enjoying FF14 with my White mage and Summoner level 50 and now working on my crafting, and they are releasing the first expansion by the end of the year, I don't think it's confirmed yet but they did write about it a week or 2 ago.

• yourownfearyourownfear Member Posts: 6
    I find it funny that people talk about how easy the game is when less then 1% of players have cleared Coil turn 5. Most servers haven't even seen turn 4 and yet we have people talking about how easy the game is. Cant complain about how easy the game is when you haven't cleared all the content the game offers...
  • CymdaiCymdai Member UncommonPosts: 1,043
    Originally posted by yourownfear
    I find it funny that people talk about how easy the game is when less then 1% of players have cleared Coil turn 5. Most servers haven't even seen turn 4 and yet we have people talking about how easy the game is. Cant complain about how easy the game is when you haven't cleared all the content the game offers...

I don't think that's entirely true. Treat it like you go out to eat at a restaurant; let's say it's a negative experience.

- You arrive at the restaurant and they're slow to seat you.

- Upon being seated, no one serves you for 20 minutes, not even for water

- You order an appetizer, and it comes out cold, and after a half an hour

- You order an entree, and then it arrives but it's just very plain and average in taste

- Throughout the meal, you receive no real service of any kind

- You decide not to get dessert

That's kinda how FFXIV is, in a way. If you play through almost the entire game, and you're dissatisfied, you're dissatisfied. You've played enough of it to know what it's about. Having 1 instance that you haven't done =/= not being able to form a valid opinion about the rest of the game. Sometimes, you don't need dessert to know about what's on the menu.

Waiting for something fresh to arrive on the MMO scene...

• yourownfearyourownfear Member Posts: 6

I don't think that's entirely true. Treat it like you go out to eat at a restaurant; let's say it's a negative experience.

- You order an entree, and then it arrives but it's just very plain and average in taste

That's kinda how FFXIV is, in a way. If you play through almost the entire game, and you're dissatisfied, you're dissatisfied. You've played enough of it to know what it's about. Having 1 instance that you haven't done =/= not being able to form a valid opinion about the rest of the game. Sometimes, you don't need dessert to know about what's on the menu.

I talking directly about people saying the game is too easy. What game isn't easy leveling? The actual end game content is where they put content that is supposed to challenge you. They don't put ultra challenging content in the leveling process because then only the hardcore would be able to play the game.

• ArcticnoonArcticnoon Member Posts: 141

Before I begin writing this, I want to make sure everyone understands that this is solely my opinion, and based on my perception rather than facts. With that said, a few other things to note about me:

1) i'm a die-hard Final Fantasy fan, grew up playing it, and played FFXI for nearly 4 years, and FFXIV since P2 beta.

2) I've played dozens of MMORPGs, and even written reviews for this site and other sites, so I have seen my share of the genre.

3) I've currently got a level 49 BRD, 50 LTW, and 40 WVR/GSM, and I'm on the Ultros Server, and leader of the Veterans of Valkurm Free Company and Linkshell (DUNES)

Now I'll say that I had a great blast playing FFXIV. I've run nearly every dungeon, fought nearly every primal I can fight so far, maxed out a craft (which is wearing full HQ AF armor ^_^), nearly completed the main story quest, etc. To say "I've done a lot" is fair, as I am afforded the opportunity to play this game quite frequently (since I can play at work). I've made a few friends in game, set up some events, and tried to buiid and foster a positive community with my linkshell (which has around 100 dedicated members). I really enjoyed the game thus far, but I have numerous worries about the future.

Now, I hate doomsayers as much as anyone, but in my brief time in Eorzea, I've stumbled across several problems and concerns relating to the long-term of the game. After a very rocky start (#3102, #90000, #2002, etc) they did fix their servers and login problems, which was a great job by Square Enix. I was worried that if those problems persisted, that it would drive people away in droves. However, many new concerns have arisen, which I'm going to go into in-depth in the next few paragraphs.

Issue #1: Crafting is utterly useless

As I got my LTW to 50, I had a sense of relief. "Alright, I'm done with THAT part of the game..." I thought to myself. I figured with my newfound craft, I'd be able to start making money almost immediately in the game. There is just one small problem; there is no demand for hardly anything. Gear, which should be utilized to a degree by all classes, isn't necessary. Because of the incredible ease of the game, it hasn't been uncommon to see people wearing severely outdated gear throughout the game. I've seen level 40's rocking level 18 armor, and to no real penalty. Since there's no reason for combat classes to buy gear, there's no reason to craft combat gear. Furthermore, combat classes can get gear cheaper/free, and easier simply by doing quests and dungeons. Furthermore, due to Issue#2, people are leveling so fast and efficiently that there's no reason to EVER buy gear! In fact, the irony of crafting +gathering and +crafting gear is that the only people who buy it is fellow crafters and gatherers. Essentially, you're creating gear for crafting because it's mandatory, but crafting has no purpose other than to build more crafting gear...and, of course, materia melding. I basically spent all my gil buying crystals and ingredients to level a craft which is now essentially worthless. Also, since no one needs to buy anything... there is no economy. Gil is essentially used to skilling up a craft, or repairing your end game gear. That's it. And once you lose it, it's 10x harder to make it back, because there is ample supply, and meager demand. This is probably related to the fact that...

Issue #2: Fates have rendered the game utterly pointless

Since fates are essentially just massive zerg fests that generate 10+k exp for roughly 1 minute of work, there's no reason not to just run fates. Dungeons are slower exp, questing is slower exp, killing mobs is slower exp. Because there's no reason to do anything other than Fates, people are hitting 50 at a ridiculous pace; I've seen multiple people with 2-3 jobs at level 50, and you have to consider that we're not even at the end of the first month. Now I don't know what kind of content patches SE has planned, but people have burned through all the content the game has to offer in 1 week because of the way you can level off of Fates. I would dare to say that, if the quests weren't mandatory for advancement and gil, people would totally ignore them. Because of the abuse of the fates...

Issue #3: Everyone has hit level 50, and as such, is picking up a craft

This further nullifies the usefulness of crafting, because everyone is a level 50 Disciple of War AND a level 50 Disciple of Land/Hand. There is no demand now, and there will be even less demand as people continue to level their 2nd job/craft. Think this is an exaggeration? Go look at the diremite camps, or the ornery karakul spawns; watch how many 50's are camping these mobs for mats. Look at the incredible oversaturation of goods on the AH, and the rock-bottom prices on nearly everything. Because leveling is so easy, once you hit 50, your options are essentially to ruin dungeons, or to level up another job craft. This wouldn't be so unmanageable, except that...

Issue #4: The duty finder has far too many DPS, and not enough tanks/healers to go around

While this one is 100% preventable for the player to deal with, because of the small party size, you're getting tanks and healers geared up SUPER fast, while many DPS don't even have but 1 relic item. As such, if you're solo queueing as a DPS, enjoy your 4 hour queue timer. While this can be alleviated by grouping with LS mates, if there are none on, you can be stuck waiting around for hours on end with nothing to do, sans for crafting/gathering. This problem could have been avoided by having a slower leveling pace, but the FATE system ruined the game's pacing entirely.

Issue #5: The game is entirely too easy in all aspects

Tradecraft leves that provide 140k exp in 1 craft? Fates that add 12k combat exp for 5 seconds of work? You can 1 v 3 mobs essentially the entirety of the game? There is legitimately no challenge for 99% of the game. Dungeons are a welcome change of pace, but for those out there who don't have 3-4 hours to queue up, that aspect of the game is all but absent for people. And because of this incredible ease of access, everyone is nearing end-game (at least on the Ultros server). With everyone at level 50 DoW/DoH/DoL, guess what that leaves people to do? More fate grinding (for company seals), maxing out additional crafts, and queueing for dungeons. Additionally, the end-game is so easy that Free Companies are legitimately selling clears and relic weapon acquisitions to the highest bidders (roughly 150k gil) Which leads to...

Issue #6: There simply isn't enough to do once you hit 50

And this problem is the most alarming. I'm not sure what sort of content SE plans to pump out every month, but with players completing the game in roughly 14 days, you have to believe that whatever they do release simply won't be large enough or at a fast enough pace to keep up with the player base. Using my own observations, as soon as new content is released, nearly everyone on the server will already be ready to advance through it. As it will likely be the only content introduced, people will probably burn through it in a week, tops, effectively leading to more waiting. This was my biggest fear pre-release, the philosophy of It's not about the journey, but the game starts at 50; 1-50 should take a long time. It's much easier to control content for a handful of players rather than all players. Because 1-50 is a cakewalk, new content is going to be in demand at a rapid pace.

Issue #7: The gil-sinks, gil-gains debate (which is covered by MMORPG.com already) and the gil-sellers

For anyone who played FFXI, you no doubt remember the dreaded gil-sellers. Well they're back, and with a vengeance. In fact, the problem with gil-sellers is so dominant that every time I go to town I have to add at least 2 new names to my blacklist. They spam RELENTLESSLY in the shout chat, literally once per second, every second, non-stop. Gilsellers are not only annoying, but they're also posting bogus links for unsuspecting cheaters to click on, which in turn is phishing people's account information and leading to hacked accounts. SE allowed this to happen in FFXI, and their lack of preparedness in FFXIV is already creating a rift in the community. A hardline approach needs to be taken; I shouldn't need to blacklist over 100 names in 14 days, and basic chat moderation would solve this problem. They're also probably booming in business, as it's nearly impossible to make gil once you've hit 50 and you've used up your quest rewards. Even worse, the gil-selling is so rampant and rapid, that if you do blacklist someone, there's a new person there to take their place within 5 minutes. It's as if SE can't ban them fast enough. Try and go to a main city without using the blacklist, and your chat log will be blacking out the sun with gil-seller spam.

Issue #8: The staying power is not present.

As I said, I'm an avid final fantasy fan. I love the world, the lore, the mobs, the characters, etc. I have a great community of people to play with. However, it's 14 days in, and we're nearly out of things to do. How can I justify subscribing month after month after month if there isn't anything new or exciting for me to do? I know that I am not alone in this feeling; peruse any of the online forums. People are concerned that they're going to stagnate at a rate faster than content is introduced.

I look at all these issues, and I probably sound like I'm hating on the game. I want to be perfectly clear that I am playing the game and loving it, but that these are serious fundamental flaws. I realize I didn't point out the good things about the game. It runs very smooth, it plays very polished, I haven't experienced hardly any bugs to date. Dungeons are entertaining and exciting, the world itself is awesome looking, and the crafting system is super cool.

However, I worry if the ease, the simplicity, the lack of depth and complexity related to both combat and the economy will lead to a loss of interest in players. I still have 16 days until I need to enter payment information... but I am only new becoming skeptical that I'll even continue to play beyond that. While this IS a good game, it simply isn't a long game, and it's in dire need of some challenge and timesink aspects, or even optional features. I DO realize that the golden saucer, PvP, housing, etc, are on the way... but if they are as simple as the base of the game has been, how long will those truly hold your interest anyway? A week? 2 weeks?

I'd like to read your opinions on this. Share your name, your levels, your server, etc, and let me know what you think. Do you believe FFXIV has the staying power of other MMO's? if so, why, and if not, why not?

[mod edit]

I realize there have already been a lot of people respond to this, but your comments are so unfounded that I have to throw my two cents in too.

First of all... you are Not lvl 50. As much fun as leveling in the game is you haven't even scratched the surface of the game pre 50.

Crafting is Not useless. Ive a 50 armorer and yes you are not going to get rich the moment you hit 50 with any craft.... Unless you work at it. Spirit bonding gear that you have personally crafted is a wonderful way to make gil. I've friends that have made 200k in a few hours doing this alone. But I'm not going to teach you the secrets I've worked hard. Just believe you are completely wrong. 

Your second issue... Fates have made it pointless to do dungeons and quest. Wrong again. Do you realize that the only real way to make money in the game, without getting from other players off playing the auction house is through quest? If you do all you quest to 50, you can walk with about 500k. Meanwhile the players who just burned fates to 50 are gonna be broke. Second... gear doesn't come from fates. You can get it from some quest, but the best gear at every lvl comes from dungeons. So, yes SE was real cool about allowing us to skip things like quest and dungeons. But your gonna be real gimp compared to players who didn't. Problem solved.

Issue # 3. Damn... everyone else is crafting now I cant compete. Really? That's your issue with the game? Doesn't that make a fair market? Everyone else is doing that thing that you said was utterly pointless and theyre driving the prices down. Poor baby. That issue is so ridiculous we are just gonna skip it.

Issue #4 Somehow the tanks and healers found away to level faster than the damage dealers..... What youre complaining about is, by the time you got leather to 50, everyone else also got their tanks and healers to 50. You want to slow the leveling pace so everyone else will still have their battle classed at 25 so they will be there to do dungeons with you after youre done leveling your craft to 50...... Yet you mentioned that you've seen players with 3 level 50s. So they leveled 3 jobs before you could level 1. Maybe the problem isn't the system. Just saying.

Issue #5. The game is just too easy in all aspects. Funny... after you hit 50, there are several fights just to get one weapon. These fights are incredibly hard. So hard that players are paying endgame guilds 250k just to carry them though Titan hard mode. To put that into perspective 250k is more than half the money a player will make level 1-50 doing all the quest. Once again I just have to laugh at how wrong you are. You claim that people are paying because its so easy. But who the F pays good many to a group for something they can easily do themselves? Even your logic is wrong!

Issue #6 Wow... this one is so sad. Players completing game in 14 days. I've seen this posted a few times on this site full of such intelligent people. Listen... just because SE decided to roll credits after players finish the first chapter of the main story after hitting 50, doesn't mean the game has been beaten! Are people that dense? Like I said before there are many quest post 50, that lead to you relic weapon. But before you can even chase that weapon you need a primal weapon. These primal fights are the fights that people are paying pro players to help them with because they are so hard. Lastly... No one has beaten the Coil (the real endgame raid). No one on any server, world wide. So wtf are you talking about?

I wont cover your last two points because your first 6 are so poorly conceived. Any the point is.. go 50 and do some shit in the game before you decide to go to the masses with you "Opinions"

[mod edit]

• ArcticnoonArcticnoon Member Posts: 141
    Originally posted by LeGrosGamer

It's funny no one is pointing this out, but in regards of gear, yes gearing up is pointless since the monsters will do damage relative to your level.  Keep the same gear let's say level 30 and face a level 35 monster. You'll have a hard time, now go away and level up to 34 and go back to the level 35 monster with the same level 30 gear.  Notice how weak the monster is hitting you and how your hitting somewhat harder?   It's like the game is based on level vs level and gear has barely no effect.  Level up to 40 and go back to that level 35 monster with the same level 30 gear, and the monster will be missing you and doing way less damage.    It's just something I noticed and found weird.    It reminds me a lot of Age of Conan when it first released, the equipment was so out of whack that everyone was level 40+ with level 10 gear, since gear back then had no real effect on the out come of a battle.

For the gold spammers, yes they do spam but after black listing them I don't get any spam for a few days so it ain't as bad as people say.  Those players that complain are those that barely play 2 hours a day, I can understand that when they log in they get flooded by gold spammers. 

I am enjoying FF14 with my White mage and Summoner level 50 and now working on my crafting, and they are releasing the first expansion by the end of the year, I don't think it's confirmed yet but they did write about it a week or 2 ago.

Your point is silly. I can go play Wow with my 90 DK in pretty good gear. I can destroy 3 mobs of my same level. If I go into any dungeon facing those same 3 mobs with my same gear I get my ass handed to me. Does that mean the game is out of wack? No its typical of most mmos.

Also youre completely wrong. I have a 50 Warrior and went from an axe that had 34 dps, to one with 39. My self heals which are based off damage went from 600+ to 900-1200+.

Lets all remember that SE went easy mode for new players pre 50.

• KingAlkaiserKingAlkaiser Member UncommonPosts: 57
    you got to love people's logic by saying 1-3 fights endgame= the overall sum of difficulty in the game.  What about the 99% of the rest of the game?
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I'm inclined to think that people who say the crafting is useless don't typically play mmos for the crafting. I think there are a lot of people who see they can make a helmet, get the mats, craft it, and put it up for sale. Then predictably when it doesn't sell, they proclaim a useless crafting system. Learning bow to be a dedicated crafter in an mmo is a lot more involved than that. It is a rewarding aspect of mmos once you take the time to learn it.

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

I talking directly about people saying the game is too easy. What game isn't easy leveling? The actual end game content is where they put content that is supposed to challenge you. They don't put ultra challenging content in the leveling process because then only the hardcore would be able to play the game.

For a game which is too easy we just wiped 4 times on last boss . I think its easy but unfortunately the 2 other players who died didn't think it was easy . I guess some people aren't as good as others .

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    yoshis all about endgame so he made the leveling some what easy have fung etting ally our gear throw ak by november
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by skyexile

If the game is so easy then why are people paying to have guilds take them through to get their relics done?

They are lazy or anti-social?

To turn that around, you are basically saying that the content is easy enough that guilds can carry bad players who are buying updates and still complete it.

A challenging game would require every group slot being filled and played at an optimal level.

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

Originally posted by LeGrosGamer
    It's funny no one is pointing this out, but in regards of gear, yes gearing up is pointless since the monsters will do damage relative to your level.  Keep the same gear let's say level 30 and face a level 35 monster. You'll have a hard time, now go away and level up to 34 and go back to the level 35 monster with the same level 30 gear.  Notice how weak the monster is hitting you and how your hitting somewhat harder?   It's like the game is based on level vs level and gear has barely no effect.  Level up to 40 and go back to that level 35 monster with the same level 30 gear, and the monster will be missing you and doing way less damage.    It's just something I noticed and found weird.    It reminds me a lot of Age of Conan when it first released, the equipment was so out of whack that everyone was level 40+ with level 10 gear, since gear back then had no real effect on the out come of a battle.   For the gold spammers, yes they do spam but after black listing them I don't get any spam for a few days so it ain't as bad as people say.  Those players that complain are those that barely play 2 hours a day, I can understand that when they log in they get flooded by gold spammers.    I am enjoying FF14 with my White mage and Summoner level 50 and now working on my crafting, and they are releasing the first expansion by the end of the year, I don't think it's confirmed yet but they did write about it a week or 2 ago.
    Have you like not played an MMORPG before? every MMO is like this, yes level matters and you will have a hard time killing higher level mobs, this is stuff in the "MMOs for dummies" books, your gear also plays considerably on your survivability, i have 4146HP...as DPS...also ill do about twice the DPS of a fresh 50.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

I can't say that there is any flaw in what the OP says especially about the crafting being worthless. Why spend a fortune on HQ gear with perfect materia melds when darklight is pretty much the same, free, and super easy to get?

I will say this though for people like me who work and can't play at work and have wives and children and a limited amount of time to play this game has plenty to offer. If this was 10 years ago when I was big into ffxi I would hate this game. Back then I worked 6am-2pm mon-fri came home and played every night and all weekend long. If I was like that now I'd be extremely bored. I can just hope that they will release content and that some of these issues about the extreme ease of getting to lvl 50 will change if and when they raise the level cap. (I sincerely hope they do) Even a casual player could easily have all combat and crafts classes to 50 in 5-6 months so here is to hoping more cool stuff is to come and fast.

• djnexusdjnexus Member Posts: 677
    After reading your post OP and thinking about it all, im really glad I didnt buy this game like I was going to. When I play an MMO I like an open world, and for crafting to be worth something. This game also seems like its not a challenge. Whats up with all these newer MMOS being released? Im glad I gave fantasy mmos a rest and started trying out scifi games. I just started playing EVE Online and im enjoying it alot. At least producing things/crafting there is actually worth something along with the challenge, and pvp.
  • cyriciancyrician Member UncommonPosts: 189

Hmmm don't know how manny hours you play a day but with a steady min of 2 hours a day since launch.

i have a level 28 cnj/20botinist/13 carp.

Very early on I realised that levels don't mean much as its the quests you complete that open content .

ohh and I love my chocobo,s .

Current games;
    Star treck online
    Rift
    Eve online
    Firefall

• LegendtriggerLegendtrigger Member Posts: 39
    Originally posted by djnexus
    After reading your post OP and thinking about it all, im really glad I didnt buy this game like I was going to. When I play an MMO I like an open world, and for crafting to be worth something. This game also seems like its not a challenge. Whats up with all these newer MMOS being released? Im glad I gave fantasy mmos a rest and started trying out scifi games. I just started playing EVE Online and im enjoying it alot. At least producing things/crafting there is actually worth something along with the challenge, and pvp.

After 50 the game is really a challenge.

And crafting really means something in this game, as it is really needed.

Also there is coming pvp in november big patch.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Good job listening to people with an agenda.

You really deserve to miss out on the challenge and meaningful crafting.

Granted, you said that EVE is challenging. Suddenly I have no idea wtf did I just read.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by Hyanmen

Good job listening to people with an agenda.

You really deserve to miss out on the challenge and meaningful crafting.

Granted, you said that EVE is challenging. Suddenly I have no idea wtf did I just read.

EVE is challenging..way more than FFXIV. I don't know what is so confusing about what he said?

• traplinextraplinex Member Posts: 14

I'd have to agree, I picked this game up yesterday and can't even be bothered with it after 8 hours..nothing interesting in this that other games are offering entirely for free.

Considering how mind numbing the combat is and the lack of utility type abilities that could at least add some kind of movement or action in the combat..I mean where are the teleports, leaps, charges, knockbacks etc..I kind of feel like I'm playing a perfect world asian grinder with a few cutscenes and some final fantasy music.

As far as the story goes, the cutscenes are in need of voice acting, and the writing isn't all that great..

I don't think it will totally fade, there will definetly be server merges after the free month is over.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by traplinex

I'd have to agree, I picked this game up yesterday and can't even be bothered with it after 8 hours..nothing interesting in this that other games are offering entirely for free.

Considering how mind numbing the combat is and the lack of utility type abilities that could at least add some kind of movement or action in the combat..I mean where are the teleports, leaps, charges, knockbacks etc..I kind of feel like I'm playing a perfect world asian grinder with a few cutscenes and some final fantasy music.

As far as the story goes, the cutscenes are in need of voice acting, and the writing isn't all that great..

I don't think it will totally fade, there will definetly be server merges after the free month is over.

Translation: "Nothing I find interesting after I have played for 8 hours".

Curious though: why do you not find the crafting interesting?