Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Never played MMO before. What should I start with?

Thienan567Thienan567 Member Posts: 2

Hello, I'm new to MMOs, and I'm looking to get into some now and try my hand at some MMOs. I only played Runescape 2007 for like a month before I quit because I found it pretty boring (was a kid at the time).

Games I've played and like to play:

Dota

CSGO

NS2

Starcraft 2

RPGs, mostly on computer such as Deus Ex, Witcher, and Fallout (3 and NV)

What MMOs are good for someone new to the scene? I have average computer and don't mind subscriptions and whatnot.

Comments

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    play some World of Warcraft, I'll play with you.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405
    New to the scene? For quality and fun I'd say guild wars 2.

• funconfuncon Member UncommonPosts: 279
    depends what you like. fantasy, sci-fi, real world? I like the fantasy setting and my first mmo was world of warcraft. Any pc can run it and has the most players playing. It was very fun when I played it, but after playing for many years, you get bored/burnt out. But Im thinking of resubscribing maybe if the next expansion looks cool.
  • SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

I'd say WoW, while it is on the old side and wont blow your mind with It's graphics, its become very user/newbie friendly over the years and is by far the most fleshed out game on the market.

You should be able to get a trial for it without too much of a hassle, give it a go and see if it works for you :)

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Depending if you are interested in a particular IP or not, try SWTOR, LOTRO, RIFT, AION, are all solid F2P play titles (to a point) so I'd experiment as much as you'd like.  There's a host of good games out there, especially if you are new to the genre.

But, if you want to put hair on your chest, give EVE a free trial....though be warned, you may never play MMORPG's again.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Synns77Synns77 Member Posts: 124
    Wow is probably still the most complete mmo out there at the min that still has a large community, it can be played on a free trial up to level 20. So that would be my suggestion, its the only mmo that I have returned to time and time again over the years, when the disappointment of all the next wave mmos creep in.
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

My friends at CCP and here might say for you to try out EvE as a miner. Last I heard there losing some subs but still have a 14 day trial.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • sonicbrewsonicbrew Member UncommonPosts: 515
    Run! Seriously, Run! There is nothing to see here in MMO space anymore. Do yourself a favor and don't even start. It's really not worth it....

“Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.” ~ Italian proverb   

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810

Rather than jumping into an older game like EvE & World of Warcraft where 99% of the people playing have been playing for years, and have their characters set, you will be playing catch up the entire time.  Your best bet is to find a newly released game to jump in on where you can ride the wave of new players through out the game, which makes things much easier.  If you like fantasy settings FFXIV:ARR is at the perfect time for a brand new player to jump in.  

The only stipulation I suggest is finding an amazing guild that is willing to be patient with a newbie and walk them through the learning process.  

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Originally posted by sonicbrew
    Run! Seriously, Run! There is nothing to see here in MMO space anymore. Do yourself a favor and don't even start. It's really not worth it....

What ever do you mean its a good question ?

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by Thienan567

Hello, I'm new to MMOs, and I'm looking to get into some now and try my hand at some MMOs. I only played Runescape 2007 for like a month before I quit because I found it pretty boring (was a kid at the time).

Games I've played and like to play:

Dota

CSGO

NS2

Starcraft 2

RPGs, mostly on computer such as Deus Ex, Witcher, and Fallout (3 and NV)

What MMOs are good for someone new to the scene? I have average computer and don't mind subscriptions and whatnot.

Personally I would not bother until early next year as most of the MMO's like Wow are dated and if you play a new title it will be fresh and modern. I would try and get beta invite for TESO which is The Elder Scrolls Online... Having beta tested and played most MMO games I feel you will be better off that paying for a game you dislike. Go do some research on what you like and then try what fits your style. Most people will tell you to play games they like from their prospective and I guess that's what you have asked for but I think this could prove difficult for you to choose.

Many of them games mentioned above are good games in days gone by IMO but I would not buy any of them if I was going to start playing an MMO today.  

Asbo

• KanylKanyl Member UncommonPosts: 252

Even if I don't like my own answear, I would totally recommend World of Warcraft. It is, even if I am not playing it, the most populare mmorpg today! It really is a great game and you just have to buy a cheap WoW Battle Chest, to get the core game, with two expansions and 30 days of game time! After that you will have to subscribe and buy the two last expansions, but they are pretty cheap as for now also. What I want to say is: it really is a great game for the price and you don't have to worry about "end game" because thousands of players still create new characters every day! Just relax and have fun on the way!

This game is the king of the market for many reasons and if you have missed it, you should really pick it up, ASAP!

Why don't I play then? Well, I have done that on and off for many years and I am pretty boored with it now. But hey, it took me some years before I came here, so you will have plenty to do! 

Good luck!

PS: Be careful with picking server, there are some "bad" ones with awful community....

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140

I also recommend WOW- And I hate theme park games.

Its polished, easy to get into and simple (plus fun) and it will allow you to cut your teeth on the genre with very little frustration.

• MagicabbageMagicabbage Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    play some World of Warcraft, I'll play with you.

I agree with this (except the part about playing with you, I have had my fill of WoW)

Wow's learning curve is easy

The classes are all fun

The graphics are good, considering it's 9 years old.

There is tons to do.

It has PvP

It has a decent end game.

It's easy to level and early on in most dungeons you can be carried. Meaning you can make a lot of mistakes and no one will care and may actually try to help you learn if you ask.

You can solo all the way to max level and questing makes it so fast. Vets can level to max level in 2 weeks or less of avg gameplay.

Some people still do role play, not much but some still do.

Bottom line, no game really comes close to completeness. The people that say they hate it are the ones who quit when it got  "too easy" or watered down. The others that quit is because, not matter how good Wow is or was, you get bored after 7,8,9 years of hard core playing. That's it.

WoW is the best MMO ever made the best MMO for anyone new to the genre.

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    just keep playing sc2! After 3 years and about 6000 games it's still my number one most played game.
  • VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407

OP played RPGs like witcher and fallout 3.

Playing wow would be a graphic downgrade like playing ps3 any game and after start playing need for speed 1 on a ps1:D

• HowryHowry Member UncommonPosts: 116

I say Rift.

It has a lot to offer especially for a free to play game.

I think it would be an excellent first MMO.

http://www.riftgame.com/en/play-for-free/

• Thienan567Thienan567 Member Posts: 2
    Thx a lot guys, a lot of responses seem to say WoW so I think I will try that first of all. I ahve a couple free trial things from when I bought SC2, maybe that will help. :) thx a lot
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    wow is free to everyone under level 20  -- you wont need any SC2 offers
  • meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Thx a lot guys, a lot of responses seem to say WoW so I think I will try that first of all. I ahve a couple free trial things from when I bought SC2, maybe that will help. :) thx a lot

WoW is a great first foray into MMOs.

Now for a word of advice: MMORPG.com forums are a small minority of the entire MMO player base. The preference here is to hate WoW. If you want to talk about WoW, go to the Blizzard forums and discuss with people who actually play the game instead of the armchair WoW players here who haven't touched the game recently but think the know the state of WoW.

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

World of Warcraft is the easiest game out there.  Try the F2P to level 20 and see if you like it.  If you like fantasy with good graphics, try GW2.  

Sci-fi: I like SW:TOR. Took me well over a month to get to max level because I watched every quest video.  

Lots of choices, most are free to try.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Everquest 2, everything released in recent years is not even worth playing if you want a real mmo experience. Never really played WoW but I am sure its a good one also.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

You can't go wrong with either WoW or SWTOR.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

WoW is a good, but old themepark game.  GW2 and Rift are also decent polished games.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• SoMuchMassSoMuchMass Member Posts: 548

I would recommend three options, that you can try for free and if you like it you can pay for.  This way you don't waste your money if you don't like it.

• WoW
    • Rift 
    • SWTOR

I personally would recommend WoW or SWTOR, but if you don't want to pay a subscription for WoW play Rift.  SWTOR and WoW are easy to get into and are newbie friendly.

If you place important on leveling and story play SWTOR.  If you like a lot of end game content and want to see many players while leveling play WoW (cross realm helped a lot with lower levels).  If you don't care about story or leveling/quests and place important on combat I would try Tera, but it won't have as many players as WoW or SWTOR.