Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mobile Auth - What happens when you lose/break your phone?

darkspriggandarkspriggan Member CommonPosts: 20
As the title says, what happens if you use a Mobile Authenticator on your phone and you just happen to break/lose it? I want to use the Auth, but I'm afraid of getting locked out of my account until I can get ahold of SE's abysmal support reps. Anyone have experience with this in FFXIV, or other games that use this method?

Comments

• darkspriggandarkspriggan Member CommonPosts: 20
    Ahh interesting, thanks for posting that. Seems like a pretty simple solution. So you make a secondary password that you only use in a case like this?
  • NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Originally posted by darkspriggan
    Ahh interesting, thanks for posting that. Seems like a pretty simple solution. So you make a secondary password that you only use in a case like this?

You're welcome.

If I remember correctly as soon as your token gen is linked to your account you're given that emergency removal one. So make a screenshot of that and save it somewhere safe (USB stick? print it and save that somewhere?).

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670

I'm using the physical authenticator from 1.0 and I have the 2.0 version from Collector's edition as well.

They NEVER leave the house.  If the first one dies (battery issues), I have the other one for years to come.

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880
    How do you actually SET the emergency removal password though?
  • NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Originally posted by Justsomenoob

You don't set it.  It's a generated code given to you.  If it was something you set it could be bruteforced/keylogged like a normal password making it useless.

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880
    Originally posted by NetSage
    Originally posted by Justsomenoob

You don't set it.  It's a generated code given to you.  If it was something you set it could be bruteforced/keylogged like a normal password making it useless.

Then where is it located? 

I attached a security token earlier today.  Was never any mention of an emergency removal password so I didn't get it.

I read online it is located "on the main page" of square enix account but it isn't.  Also heard it's on the one time password page, it isn't.   Where do I look?

EDIT:  Apparently the physical security tokens (the keychain ones) DON'T have this emergency password feature.  Just the software ones.