Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's been so QUIET around this game lately!!!

2»

Comments

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802
    Originally posted by psiic

What really boggles my mind is that Wildstar is technically slotted to compete with their own game GuildWars 2.

And yet they are going to have 2 different business models in place. 

Either brilliant or idiotic, and I lean towards idiotic.

same producer... completely different developing companies and really they are quite different games as well as payment models.

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130
    Originally posted by psiic
    It's quite because the Closed Beta has been down for a month now as they " restructure " the game whatever the hell that means.

This^

All the other reasons are way off.

Changes are coming to Wildstar to show they have listened to their testers and people at their shows.   Unlike some games that wait until their game has been released and failed and then try to listen to what they were told during beta.  Yes, I'm looking at you SOE (Planetside 2).

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748
    I think it is largely a case of people being busy giving FF14 a handy, or arguing about the EQN art style.
  • Bandaid47Bandaid47 Member Posts: 38
    Originally posted by udon
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    I think a lot of excitement died out when devs said that end game is for hardcore players only and that they don't care. I guess this game appeals to a small percentage of hardcore raiders who enjoy gear treadmill.

I think that's exactly the kind of attitude you do need to take to make a P2P MMO in this day and age.  If you expect people to sub to your game for years on end you need to give them content that takes years to complete and that means "hardcore".  PVP could be a second option but that market is so flickle that getting that crowd to stick around in large numbers long term is pretty difficult.

If you want to make a game that is consumed in 30-60 days than thrown aside maybe to be revisited every few months than F2P or B2P (I honestly don't see much difference these days) is the best model for it.  You can get as many people into your game as possible without the box fee and design it around maximizing profits during that short time the player will stick around before jumping off to something else.  if you want to design a P2P game you need to make it hard, you need to make it take teamwork, and you need to build systems that promote social interactions.  I think a steep small group/raid content treadmill that takes years to complete if ever is a pretty good way to do that don't you?

You don't need to be hardcore to enjoy a very lengthy endgame "gear treadmill" and lets be honest here...in any game that isn't a sandbox based on community metagaming...endgame is always gear treadmill or pvp grind...sure you can innovate like gw2 and just delete the reward and group mechanics...but your still running endgame pvp and pve over and over again.

Needless to say, if you hate this kind of stuff...there are TONS of non mmorpg games out there that don't have these mechanics...also there are sandbox games that offer politics and metagame as the endgame.

I like the old school raiding.  I like sandbox endgame.  I flip back and forth as I wish...I certainly don't whine about what is honestly a core component of mmorpgs...if I had problems with it I would spend more time on steam, in mmo shooters, in FPS games with multiplayer, in fantasy based deathmatch games like forge or chivalry, hell even mobas.

I also hate the fear people have in not getting in all and clearing the entire game in under a month.  I WANT to be playing for months/years and not have it all in game.  I don't want to breeze through progression then be given the best raid gear in a month or two...that's a game you leave after two months not a game you stick with for years.

Sadly I don't think its possible to have a game like that in todays instant gratification world.  So they give you a free pass on getting to endgame, ramp up the time and difficulty, people complain they cant get it all in a week of endgame and unsub...

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    This game would have rocked worlds if it would have launched right along side ff arr, at this point though, I dont know when a good time to launch will be. They would be stupid to launch up against eqnext. If they can I would say launch should be Jan 3rd week of 2014 I guess. Wow xpac will be dead, eq next landmark will start to get old and they can beat eso to the punch.
  • DaessarDaessar Member Posts: 204

It doesn't make any difference when they launch it, as there isn't another game targeting a hardcore raider base with a vertical endgame progression.  Eqnext does not have that type of endgame, nor do they even have a holy trinity, and I doubt they are going with a traditional Pvp battleground/arena system either.

Completely different audience just as Guild Wars is a completely different audience who is attracted to a non-raid, gear normalization, non-group dependent, F2P style of MMO.

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    Originally posted by Tinybina

Changes are coming to Wildstar to show they have listened to their testers and people at their shows.   Unlike some games that wait until their game has been released and failed and then try to listen to what they were told during beta. 

Quoted for truth.  The subtlety of the fact that it's hard to not hear exciting changes, but knowing that they are taking beta feedback seriously and getting the work done is huge. 

This really could be a spiritual successor to WOW.