Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

An honest opinion

13»

Comments

• AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Originally posted by TwystedWiz
    Originally posted by Alamareth
    Originally posted by Ikeda

FFXIV is unfinished. 

I really don't think that there is any question, FFXIV is too easy.  Players are getting to max cap before the free trial is even over.  Why stick around if they've already "beat the game"?

Excuse me?  So by your very definition FFXIV IS a finished game.  It DOES have endgame content (other than Hard modes).  In fact, people are only just now starting to get anywhere on the final Raid (Coils of Bahamut).  Have they beat it?  Hell no.  Have they come close?  Nope.  Will they?  Sure.

There's a ton of stuff to do at end game.  You gotta earn your weapon, attune your weapon, build your weapon, kill stuff with your weapon just to get it. 

All these hard modes are practice for the endgame and if you played the rest of the game, you'd realize all instances are really practice sessions for the NEXT, harder instance.

So, one "final raid" means end game content to you?

"There's a ton of stuff to do at end game.  You gotta earn your weapon, attune your weapon, build your weapon, kill stuff with your weapon just to get it."

So, earning, attuning, building, and using your weapon is a "ton of stuff to do"?  IMO, pursuit of a weapon is not really end game content.  It is something you do in preparation for end game content.

Me thinks that perhaps some players are too easily satisfied and really don't comprehend what "end game" means...

Really?  That's pretty much the end game of most games.  Getting the best gear, beating the hardest instances, and PvP'ing (when available).

The thing with this game is that people think getting level 50 on one class is "reaching the end-game".  Uhm, no.  It *can* be if you choose to ignore everything else, but there's a lot more to do in the game.  A lot of it seems like it needs to be done too so you can get the character power that allows you to even attempt a legitimate run - regardless of individual player skill.

Really.  The gear grind is not "end game" content...  End game content is what you do in your gear.

FFXIV: ARR has one end game "instance" that isn't a repeat of earlier instances.  Not impressive in 2013.

PvP is not, and should not be limited to an "end game" activity.

What else ya got?

One instance that no one is even remotely capable of finishing yet.  Let's be concerned about end game content when people actually get to the end game.

If it's within a month of release, then I may concede there being an issue.  With the 2.0 patch coming in early 2014, I think we'll alright for end-game content with the exception of the hardcore players.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Really.  The gear grind is not "end game" content...  End game content is what you do in your gear.

Whatever.  You do whatever you like.  You're stuck with your opinion.  Frankly, there is a giant end of the game (so far) Raid.  No one has beat it.  Therefore there is still TONS to do.  Stop lurking on the forum and go beat it.  Then come back here and complain.  They're already talking of adding stuff over the next 2 patches.

And gearing up has ALWAYS been a part of the "end game"  That's the POINT.  You get the best specialized gear you can and you go after the baddies that you haven't beaten.  Hence "end" "game".

No reason to waste my breath on you further until you've beaten it and posted proof.  Otherwise you're talking out of your *#(!.

• EphexeEphexe Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Originally posted by Shauneepeak
    Wait until you hit level 50 I keep hearing people complain about Hard Mode Titan and I don't believe anyone on my server has attempted it yet but from what I have been hearing from the Legacy players the Coil of Bahamut is supposed to be absolutely punishing to the highest degree. According to Yoshi-P and what players have said it appears to be one of the biggest challenges in recent MMO history.

You cannot be serious. Titan hardmode is probably mechanically the easiest endgame encounter I have ever seen for any game. You LITERALLY just "stay out of fire" telegraphs, collapse for the AoE slam, and stay away from bombs the entire fight. There is absolutely nothing unique or challenging about the mechanics at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcB_rvNhjYI

Someone even gets hit by the horizontal slam at 0:45 and it's not a one-shot. The tank scratching his nose at 2:30 and multiple other times indicates that he could probably eat a sandwich with his free hand the entire fight, for christ's sake. Not one single mechanic deals enough damage to even one-shot a player, as several of them get hit by the telegraphed mechanics several times. What exactly is so punishing and challenging about this encounter? This is a snorefest compared to other game raids (see pre-nerf Akylios).

• icculus2112icculus2112 Member Posts: 105
    Originally posted by Ephexe
    This is a snorefest compared to other game raids (see pre-nerf Akylios).

Except HM Titan isnt meant to be the most challenging content FFXIV has to work with.  Its kind of a precursor to the raid content.

For a fair comparison, try comparing Coil of Bahamut with any other recently released MMO's launch raid content.

Early reports seem to indicate that Coil is tougher than anything in Rift besides the one fight you mentioned, although its too early to tell.

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681
    Originally posted by DMKano

Agree with OP 100%.

This is my biggest concern, my entire guild is 50 already, I've been sitting at 50 for 6 days now, and have done ifirit hardmode (cake), garuda hardmode (tricky last stage, need to switch physical DMG to magic and only have 45s to burn).

Garuda hard for a PUG will seem impossible, but for a guild its only tricky until you learn the strategy (hiding behind pillars, killing spawns fast then 45s magic and physical burn)

The game is tiny, its very fun but SE needs to do something if they want to retain players for months.

It's not tiny - you all RUSHED to the end. There is NO WAY you experienced all the game has to offer. Do any of you CRAFT at all? Hurry hurry hurry...level level level and then complain there's nothing to do - geesh!

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by NobleNerd

Your point is true and i wish Yoshida decided to do something about it, but what will happen is there will be a mass of players rushing to end game and then crying about it in a month or 2 because there is "no content". This may come back to bite them in the arse!

Actually ..  there is NO content. Have run out of quests at lv. 18 with my highest alt. None avaiable anywhere. Oh, yes, I could go to other cities doing low level quests. :-) But anyway it is not my concern anymore, stopped to play faster then any other game. Even TR have been playing for at least 2 weeks. Will follow still from time to time forums ... but FF ARR is for me thing of past. Totally unfun to play. Sure, music and environment made me very happy at start, I again felt that great FF feeling ... but I'm not playing game where this is all about.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by echolynfan

Agree with OP 100%.

This is my biggest concern, my entire guild is 50 already, I've been sitting at 50 for 6 days now, and have done ifirit hardmode (cake), garuda hardmode (tricky last stage, need to switch physical DMG to magic and only have 45s to burn).

Garuda hard for a PUG will seem impossible, but for a guild its only tricky until you learn the strategy (hiding behind pillars, killing spawns fast then 45s magic and physical burn)

The game is tiny, its very fun but SE needs to do something if they want to retain players for months.

It's not tiny - you all RUSHED to the end. There is NO WAY you experienced all the game has to offer. Do any of you CRAFT at all? Hurry hurry hurry...level level level and then complain there's nothing to do - geesh!

Crafting is optional and not compulsory. For someone who claims to be playing MMOS for years you haven't learned a simple fact that not all players are the same. Some like  crafting, others prefer gathering while others just enjoy the combat. Only because they gave no interest in leveling crafting class doesn't mean they are not playing it right.

So for players who have no interest in other actvities and want to enjoy combat and leveling they are left twidling their thumbs at lvl 50. Don't be surprised if population is in sharp decline after free month is over.

Servers are so full because its the free month. No surprise there either.
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by daltanious

Actually ..  there is NO content. Have run out of quests at lv. 18 with my highest alt. None avaiable anywhere. Oh, yes, I could go to other cities doing low level quests. :-) But anyway it is not my concern anymore, stopped to play faster then any other game. Even TR have been playing for at least 2 weeks. Will follow still from time to time forums ... but FF ARR is for me thing of past. Totally unfun to play. Sure, music and environment made me very happy at start, I again felt that great FF feeling ... but I'm not playing game where this is all about.

Hahaha, Really?  REALLY?  Good riddance.  If you can't figure out where to go next (as EACH set of quests literally HOLDS your hand to the next hub) ... it's just shocking.

SMDH.. and these are the people who think they should be reviewing a game... I guess the little icons all over the map (both mini and regular) and the green icons and icons on the map showing you where you need to go to complete quests, are too complicated as well.

Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

Agree with OP 100%.

Crafting is optional and not compulsory. For someone who claims to be playing MMOS for years you haven't learned a simple fact that not all players are the same. Some like  crafting, others prefer gathering while others just enjoy the combat. Only because they gave no interest in leveling crafting class doesn't mean they are not playing it right.

So for players who have no interest in other actvities and want to enjoy combat and leveling they are left twidling their thumbs at lvl 50. Don't be surprised if population is in sharp decline after free month is over.

I doubt that seriously - not everyone rushes to 50 and stands around with the thumbs up there arses. I've been playing video games since Pong came out so I have some mileage and this game has A LOT going for it and will be around for some time to come. Combat only players will cycle through and go to something else leaving behind a good community of well-rounded players.

Personal estates and instanced neighboorhoods are coming next update which will further ensure this games long term success. This is the best MMO I've played since the early days of MMO's - period.

Originally posted by daltanious
    Originally posted by NobleNerd

Your point is true and i wish Yoshida decided to do something about it, but what will happen is there will be a mass of players rushing to end game and then crying about it in a month or 2 because there is "no content". This may come back to bite them in the arse!

LOL...really? I'm 22 right now and there are so many quests to do I don't know where to start. The main quest line is still going strong.....perhaps you should ask for some help :)

• EphexeEphexe Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Originally posted by icculus2112
    Originally posted by Ephexe
    This is a snorefest compared to other game raids (see pre-nerf Akylios).

Except HM Titan isnt meant to be the most challenging content FFXIV has to work with.  Its kind of a precursor to the raid content.

For a fair comparison, try comparing Coil of Bahamut with any other recently released MMO's launch raid content.

Early reports seem to indicate that Coil is tougher than anything in Rift besides the one fight you mentioned, although its too early to tell.

Lol, please. If you honestly think Caduceus or ADS (Coil of Bahamut) are mechanically harder than Grugonim and Rune King Molinar (Hammerknell Fortress), or Ember Conclave and Rusila Dreadblade (Infernal Dawn) then you're delusional. Mechanically harder as in, gear requirements put aside, just looking at the encounter mechanics. All I see in Caduceus and ADS are static tank and spanks, dodge red telegraphs, occasional tank swapping, and very minimal multi-phase dynamics.

Agree with OP 100%.

I doubt that seriously - not everyone rushes to 50 and stands around with the thumbs up there arses. I've been playing video games since Pong came out so I have some mileage and this game has A LOT going for it and will be around for some time to come. Combat only players will cycle through and go to something else leaving behind a good community of well-rounded players.

Personal estates and instanced neighboorhoods are coming next update which will further ensure this games long term success. This is the best MMO I've played since the early days of MMO's - period.

And you still keep assuming that the only way to play the game right is your way. You will be surprised how many have no interest in crafting and i am actually surprised that i am telling you this. You are surely not new to MMOS genre.

If you stick to just one combat class you don't even need to rush because you get plenty of XP to level to 50 in no time. It is alt leveling which is slow because of lack of main scenario, guildhests diminished xp and no main scenario to boost your xp.

A MMO especially P2P MMO which focuses only on one type of end game is going to be in trouble. A lesson hard learned by Rift which then branched out to other actvities than just raiding.

I could care less if you believe that this is best MMO you have ever played because that is not what this is about. This is about you ignoring different play styles and telling people that they are rushing or not playing the game right only because they have no interest in gathering or crafting classes.

• TwystedWizTwystedWiz Member UncommonPosts: 175

Whatever.  You do whatever you like.  You're stuck with your opinion.  Frankly, there is a giant end of the game (so far) Raid.  No one has beat it.  Therefore there is still TONS to do.  Stop lurking on the forum and go beat it.  Then come back here and complain.  They're already talking of adding stuff over the next 2 patches.

And gearing up has ALWAYS been a part of the "end game"  That's the POINT.  You get the best specialized gear you can and you go after the baddies that you haven't beaten.  Hence "end" "game".

No reason to waste my breath on you further until you've beaten it and posted proof.  Otherwise you're talking out of your *#(!.

One instance = "TONS to do"?  Seriously?  And it doesn't matter if I have done it or not, that doesn't change anything.

"Stop lurking on the forum..."

Says the guy with 1600+ posts.  Ok!  ;)

No.  High level dungeons and raiding are end game.  Gear is just the reward.   Some players actually enjoy the challenges, the mechanics, and like to play the game(s).  For us, beating hard content is the POINT, not just collecting purples.  When you are deciding what game to play are you making your decision based on game play or the gear you can get?  Would you continue to participate in those end game activities if there were no gear rewards, just for the enjoyment of the content?  Would you play if the only gear you ever got was a loincloth and a stick?  Your comment is pretty revealing, if the point of the game to you is collecting gear it doesn't matter how long you've been playing, you sir, are still a noob.  And part of what's gone wrong with the genre.

It doesn't matter if you choose to see it, or choose to acknowledge it, it is happening.  Just because you close your eyes doesn't mean it's not there.  The game is too easy and there is not enough to do at end game.  If what there is makes you happy, cool, keep playing, keep chasing that gear if that is what you enjoy.  But don't try to tell other people they are wrong because they don't want to chase gear with you.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    I can't wait for all these players who bum rushed 50 realize they are screwed because they didn't bother to level a craft. When they want to get their Materia melded, they will have to come to me. And they WILL pay.
  • RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767
    What makes your opinion more honest than other opinions? You dont provide any proof, for all we know you may be anything but honest.
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Originally posted by Ayulin

Just because it's an honest opinion, doesn't make it the only one. I don't recall the OP ever claiming otherwise. Are you paranoid? Insecure in your own opinions, maybe? Or, are you just being overly-defensive about criticism toward a game you happen to like?

I've been playing the game like it was intended and have only hit lvl 21 since launch.  You know... Actually FOLLOWING the story... I don't recall the OP ever claiming, or stating they do otherwise. How, exactly, does saying "story fights are too easy" automatically equate to "not following the story?" The OP doesn't say anything either way about the story. So, what exactly are you going on about here?

"FFXIV is too easy because I did FATE grinding, ignored everything else and now I'm a big powerful lvl 50 that has no experiences in his class outside of AOEing FATES."

Oh, I see. You didn't actually comprehend the OP's post. Either that, or you're not very subtle about cherry-picking and distorting what other people say, just so you can bash them.

Got it.

There was a great article here on MMORPG.com some time ago. It was about the importance of reading comprehension. That should really be required reading for some people around here.

Thank you for this post, happy I am not the only one who is not lemming along.  

Ya know the sad part is the OP is 1000% right. Even with all the launch issues, tons of players capped before the first week was even over.  I remember the days when a good quality MMO would take you a few months to cap even if you exploited the hell out of every exp advantage the game offered. 

All those full group AOE grind parties.

Now players are thrilled and give 5 stars for an MMO  that gives them something to do for a month. 

Sometimes I think I have just gotten too damn old. Everything is app's and devices, tweets, and texts, and a 10 minute game for $200 is considered a must have.

I just don't get it what the hell ever happened to common sense, and value for a dollar. 

I remember when a $40 console game gave you 60-100 hours of game play, now you are lucky if you get 10 hours from a $90-120 game.

And this transition is not like 100 years, this is like 5-10 years. 

When did polishing a turd, putting it in a new wrapper and reselling it become so fricken acceptable to so many people that they sit there gobbling it down going oh yum yum this shit tastes so good feed us more polished turds we love em!!!

I just do not understand where gamers brains have gone, we use to be the geeks/nerds the SMART people.

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Servers are so full because its the free month. No surprise there either.

Surprises hell out of me I quit, canceled my 6 month sub, and uninstalled this polished turd the first week.

This is 1000% a SWTOR redux, a ton of bored players, with more money than sense, first "new" use that word lightly, MMO in awhile. They jump on it like drowning rats on floating shit.

They defend the hell outta their hold on their raft of floating fecal matter to the death. Then at the end of the pipe with nowhere left to go, they sudden realize the water is only 1 inch deep, and they only thought this piece of crap was their true salvation.

Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    I can't wait for all these players who bum rushed 50 realize they are screwed because they didn't bother to level a craft. When they want to get their Materia melded, they will have to come to me. And they WILL pay.

Umm isn't that the point? if everyone is leveled up in everything who will need you? its neither good for you or the over all economy where everyone is self sufficent in everything.

So how did they screw up exactly?

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Umm isn't that the point? if everyone is leveled up in everything who will need you? its neither good for you or the over all economy where everyone is self sufficent in everything.

Who has leveled everything?

I said 'if'. I am just basing my reply on your assumption that these players are screwing up by not leveling a craft. Infact it is a good thing that not everyone is doing everything or their won't be any inter dependency. it is not screwing up but sticking to the playstyle they enjoy.

• AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570

I said 'if'. I am just basing my reply on your assumption that these players are screwing up by not leveling a craft. Infact it is a good thing that not everyone is doing everything or their won't be any inter dependency. it is not screwing up but sticking to the playstyle they enjoy.

This conversation is totally moot because you have FCs.  Any FC worth considering are going to have crafters working together to minimize the need of the FC to use the market in the first place.

• buddhaneo99buddhaneo99 Member Posts: 30

There is no such thing as an honest opinion --- opinions by their very nature are dishonest --- the truth, which honesty is about, is not an opinion.

I have been censored for writing bad things about WoW so I have to be careful, but if I wanted to play WoW, I would... and it seems there are a lot of WoW clones out there and FF14:ARR is no different to WoW in game mechanics really.

I might try TSW and stick with Runescape until something better comes out.