Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

An honest opinion

Comments

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

I thank the maker every day I don't have as much time to play as most of the posters on this site. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with anyone who can play 8+ hours a day... I'm just happy that I can't. 

I can't venture much of an opinion on the how hard the game is at higher levels cause my highest level is 15 lol. But I haven't found the game to be any different in difficulty then any other MMO I have played to this point. I remember playing WoW and I didn't die for the first 20 levels or so. What games are harder?

I will say this; After playing Final Fantasy 11 I feel pretty secure that SE will keep the content coming. 

• ShauneepeakShauneepeak Member UncommonPosts: 424
    Originally posted by drekz

Fear not.  The new hardmode dungeons are already in game.

The huge wave of Fate farmers are hitting 50 and queuing for dungeons.  If you want a challenge queue for Ifrit HM, or either lvl50 4man.  Here is how you make it hardmode....

1. When everyone says "First time here" *Important step* don't leave.  
    2. Inspect there gear and look at how their weapon, belt, neck, rings, and wrist are all lvl25-30 grays. 
    3. Explain the boss fights like you were talking to a child.
    4. Enjoy wiping with your tank that can't hold threat, your dps that is mashing buttons randomly, and your healer that was running around confused in the corner but is now dead from taking aoe to the face.
    (Luckily, most of them haven't unlocked Amdapor Keep or Ifrit(HM) or they're scared to queue for them)

This made me actually laugh out loud.

You don't even need hard mode for this I was running Halatali and from the beginning I was like "WTF these people can't be this bad." Our tank was constantly losing aggro on the most basic of enemies or only getting one aggroed then having the others rush our healer, our healer focusing more on me and the other DPS than the tank? and this was when he wasn't running around being almost killed by the Mobs who were aggroed on him. The best part? I finally gave up and tried giving them a few words of advise and the two responded with "This isn't our first MMO we know what to do." Oh really now?image Should've figured from the beginning they were friends but man this dung was bad. We finally made it to the boss and our tank couldn't keep aggro for 10 seconds and I ended up "Tanking" the whole boss fight, by tanking I mean running and kiting the boss trying to avoid being hit with my abysmally low HP probably causing the other DPS to laugh his ass off in real life, while I am assuming the tank was doing nothing because I couldn't even tell what was going on around me due to my camera spinning and through that whole mess I think the healer bothered to heal me once though honestly I didn't need it but man it was such a mess....

• TorcipTorcip Member UncommonPosts: 669
    They can;t make this game much harder than it already is save for the few unrequired fights, otherwise 70% of the players would not beat the main story line. I couldn't tell you how many people I've seen in PUGs die to simple things like Bombs exploding, the majority of people playing this game really, really suck at it. If they made the 1-50 any harder, half the amount of people would be playing.
  • drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    guys ignore this thread!ifrit is level 15 .he is one of the first dungeon you meet.get this the requirement in dungeon finder is 4 player.ya you get the point.it is beginner stuff.from 15 to 20 you all meet 4 dungeon if you follow story line.so don't sweat it content is there the trouble?powerleveler some where searching for ifrit!lol if you didn't do quest you won't see where it is!.its so funny lol!its like wow.you unlock the dungeon via what's required you get in!but people don't expect that why?because there are also visible dungeon all over the map.ya it is a nice joke on powerleveler.saw towelliee do ifrit he felt like he had achieved a lot?lot he was doing a level 15 dungeon as level 45 synced to this dungeon.ya it was funny!it was one of the first dungeon .its like getting out of ogrimar and not doing ragefire chasm!its the second dungeon lol you can't miss it !
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    Originally posted by Ikeda

Just because it's an honest opinion, doesn't make it the only one.  I've been playing the game like it was intended and have only hit lvl 21 since launch.  You know... Actually FOLLOWING the story...

"FFXIV is too easy because I did FATE grinding, ignored everything else and now I'm a big powerful lvl 50 that has no experiences in his class outside of AOEing FATES."

Nice same here. Never understood the rush to finish mentality, then whine like a baby. Slow down, enjoy.

My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by Alamareth
    Originally posted by ghost047
    Originally posted by Ayulin

Perhaps this is because getting to 50 is actually easy.  That doesn't make the game easy.

Likewise, a handful of difficult fights in an otherwise easy game doesn't make it challenging.

How's Demon Wall, Ifrit Hard, Garuda Hard, Titan Hard, Hydra, and Chimera treating you?  Are you in full 70 darklights? Anyone can easily hit 50, but there are tons of people that are going to be stuck on these for a long time.

Ahh, perfect example. Thank you for helping illustrate what I mean.

You've listed 6 specific fights, and one armor set as examples of "difficult content".

In a game as massive as a MMORPG - even a newly launching one - when the only content one can point to as "challenging", is a handful of boss fights, and obtaining a single set of armor... well... it's kinda making the OP's point.

People were starting from level 1 and reaching 50 within 3 days of launch. Less than a week later, they were completing the main story content, as well as other dungeons, etc - even playing it rather casually (during available time after work, school, etc)

Less than 1.5 weeks after launch people were already getting their AF+1 gear.

That people are able to get through the content that quickly is a pretty huge indication that the game just ain't that challenging over all.... Having some difficult boss fights (several of which are optional) does not make the entire game challenging.

A small percentage of a game's content being legitimately challenging does not somehow make the entire game so. At least not outside one's imagination.

If SE made the game harder, I think you'd see a flood of complaints.

Oh they already did. The level 15 and 20 fights used to be actually fairly challenging, requiring you to actually think, choose targets wisely, have some situational awareness, etc. What happened? People complained those fights were "too hard", so SE made them all so easy that you basically have to be standing in one spot, doing nothing, to fail them.

Of course, that also helps to illustrate the OP's point. The game is just too easy overall.

+1 I was thinking the same.

Why does Ayulin feel so compelled to constantly parse semantics to spin everything into something negative?  I'd very much like to know her agenda here.

Anyway, both of the quoted posters missed my point.  Let me put it this way.  It takes maybe two weeks to get one level 50 if you play 3-5 hours a day.  That's one job, no crafting, minimum items.  It's also meant to be easy.  Those of us who are looking to really max this game out are going to spend FAR more time than we ever did FATE grinding on getting the top tier gear so we can be among the elite few who even stand a remote chance of beating the tower.  Thus, when I point out 6 battles and Ayulin claims that it's a small point of a "massively" game.  Well no, those 6 battles are a huge part of the game for us.

In regards to actual challenge, I somewhat agree.  I, personally, can ace just about anything in the game.  The problem is that the vast majority of community isn't even remotely able to match that.  When I PUG I fail.  That's an indication as to how bad players are in this game.  SE couldn't make it harder right now because most people would just quit.  I've seen several complaints about how hard Demon Wall is.  Give me a break, he's the easiest of the 6 I listed.  You can't complain about difficulty when it's already too difficult for most of the player base.  SE has to cater much closer to the lowest common denominator.

I'm not sure how you can blame the game for that.  People just aren't as good these days.  I think that's why I'm waiting for PvP.

I agree. I feel that most of the folks who post on this site are the "elite". Well... besides me lol. I'm a very casual player who post here because of my office days, where I have free time. The issue is that the 300 or so people that post here think they are the norm... and they're not. They are the hardcore that spend 5 hours plus a day playing. Most players however are people like me, where I'm lucky if I can get in 5 hours a week. We are the norm. We are who these companies are making the games for. We don't quit as quickly because it takes us 5 times as long to get things done. A casual player will sub for 6 months and not get done what a hardcore player got completed in 1 month. These companies know that the hardcore will burn through the content and cancel their sub until the first expansion.. so they cater to the casual as we will actually around. 

For the casual player, the game is great. Average difficulty and an average pace. I'm completely happy with the game. The hardcore fans have to learn that no games will be designed for you. They can't be. If you are a content locust, you will be bored. You will think games are easy. You will complain about the amount of content. No company could ever keep you happy when you have so much time to invest in playing. How do I know this? I read these forums and have seen the hardcore crowd complain about every single game that has come out since Shadowbane. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • bizoux86bizoux86 Member UncommonPosts: 85
    Originally posted by NobleNerd

Your point is true and i wish Yoshida decided to do something about it, but what will happen is there will be a mass of players rushing to end game and then crying about it in a month or 2 because there is "no content". This may come back to bite them in the arse!

I myself am enjoying the game for what it was meant to be.... a great storyline, fun combat and grouping with friends to do the party content. The primal fights can be tough, but I like the fact you can re-do without wait time. Some of the early dungeons are a bit easy, but for the most part it is not a facepalm game.... I even have had pug groups that respected and used crowd control (OH, say it aint so!).

True. There will always be those players who rush to the end and then sit there and whine about no content for them to do. I have been playing since launch and am no where near level capping, I am enjoying this game immensely and am not interested in a mad dash to the finish line.  Even people in WoW were level capping new toons when MoP came out in like a week (80 levels in a week!) I feel like no matter the game, there are hard core levelers who wil rush to the end and then say it was too easy!

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    ROFL!I bet most are thinking !screw that I want in now!my advice ?do trial before changing .this means.if you did normal trial then did dungeon (as you level)then when you want to hit hard mode go do hard trial before!reward are nice and you get to practice syncing movement with your group .something that might be hard LA
    ter on!
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    I, too, do not have time to play like I used to.  I only get from 8pm-bedtime to wrangle up every single thing I want to do in a ~4 hr period.  So I'm pretty limited.  My weekend can be a little more free but again, family+errands normally doesn't leave much time for gaming.  I still get in my time.  Last night I logged in for about 2 hrs (1 level) and a bunch of quests (including some hunting Glad journal entries).
  • ZenMorphZenMorph Member Posts: 9

I'm not sure how you can blame the game for that.  People just aren't as good these days.  I think that's why I'm waiting for PvP.

I wonder, though, if it's that players just aren't as good these days, as you observe, or if quite a few of them simply don't have the patience or motivation to adapt and improve.

I say this using myself as a case in point.  I bought GW2 when it first released and played for a few weeks before giving in to frustration.  At the time, I didn't have the patience to learn and adapt to the new style of combat.  A month ago I went back to try it again, and after a few weeks of retraining my brain and muscle memory--and uttering a litany of bad language--I find I'm enjoying the game and performing well with the combat dynamic.  But it took some personal motivation and effort.

• AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989

Perhaps this is because getting to 50 is actually easy.  That doesn't make the game easy.

How's Demon Wall, Ifrit Hard, Garuda Hard, Titan Hard, Hydra, and Chimera treating you?  Are you in full 70 darklights? Anyone can easily hit 50, but there are tons of people that are going to be stuck on these for a long time.

That said, I personally, have not had many problems.  I'm also consistently the best player in my party (healer).  Way too many DPS are just being flat out carried.  That does not bode well for later content.

If SE made the game harder, I think you'd see a flood of complaints.

Demon Wall, Ifrit, Garuda, Hydra, and Chimera are quite easy. However... Titan is a whole other monster and requires a lot of focus of your entire team. So even if you know what you're doing there's still 7 other people you have to rely on to survive the fight. For the Titan fight, it's important that no DPS dies until heart phase and after the heart phase it's important that all healers stay alive for phase 3; otherwise you will not beat the boss.

Of course you also forgot to mention the hardest dungeon of the game, Binding Coils of Bahamut. In my opinion, I highly doubt I will see many people get through Garuda (from a casual perspective), and I highly doubt I'll see the vast majority getting past Titan. These fights really require the player to actually know their classes by heart; they need to know what to cast and when to cast their skills at the right time.

Yeah, good point - I did miss Bahamut.  As for the others being "easy", I think that's relative.  It may be easy for individuals to perform at the level that is required of them, but one person consistently screwing up will hose you on any of those.  It gets worse in Titan Hard, as you mentioned.

PUGs suck.  That's really all there is to it, but I'm determined to beat all of it using a PUG at least once.  It's a right a passage.

@Praetulus:

Totally agree, I think the game offers a wide assortment of activities that should occupy both hardcore and casual players.  The content locusts (as you call them) will always burn themselves out and always complain about it.

• XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451

Ifrit hard is the last of the easy battles you will see. After that point the game drastically increases in difficulty.

Garuda while doable in pugs you will need people who understand the fight. A single person making mistakes will most likly kill the whole group. Not alot of room for error.

Titan yea, welcome to the difficulty of 1.0 hard primals again. Expect to die alot learning this, 1 mistake from anyone and the fight could go south. If a healer gets nocked off at all it is over no way to recover if the mob is above 10-15%. To put it simply everything hits for 800-3000 dmg, everyone not a tank has 3000ishhp. It spams stomps which hit for 700dmg... it will do up to 9-10 in a row ( do the math) and 90% of his special attacks will randomly target the person without hate or be room wide aoe, it is dodge or die. And from yoshida's interviews at Pax this is only hardmode, there will be a extreme mode to this fight like there was ifrit in 1.0.  I would NOT USE duty finder on this at all.

What comes after Titan hard atm is even harder.

To put it short the game scales up quick at endgame.

The storyline is face roll and it is designed to be like that, so those who just want the story can enjoy. If you want difficult get to endgame and you will have it.

Those saying everything is all easy, have not made it far enough yet.

• TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435
    Originally posted by Snowdon_Cloudripper
    I love FFXIV:ARR i really really do . I have Beta tested this game from Phase 2-4 and i am playing in game on Diabolos server now and i am loving it ....... BUT. The game is to easy . You can go from 1 to 50 in less then a weeks time for any DoW or DoM class/job . FATE parties are how you level . You do not even need to do side quests and doing these FATEs after you have picked your Grand Company will earn you GC seals much , MUCH faster so leveling your rank in GC can take as long a 2 weeks or less to be highest rank . This is my one and only gripe with the game . I was hoping that 1 to 50 would take around 3 to 6 weeks if you were hardcore and 6 to 10 weeks if you were casual . Also i have to say Nothing has challenged me yet . Maybe its just me but the game is simple . Every story quest is easy let the NPCs get agro help the NPC win the fight quest done . I have fought Ifrit and Titan so far and both were cake . All the dungeons i have been in so far have been cake . Gruda i hear is a bit challenging i hope so . I am at Level 40 WAR and im stopping my Leveling so my FC/LS friends can also get to around 40 . So all i am doing now is crafting and mining and fishing . And helping with dungeons . Again im having fun but the challenge and the speed of leveling is a blemish to me . Anyone else feel the same?

I honestly do not see this as a failing with the game. I am going to make some assumptions here and you are more than welcome to correct me if you wish to. It appears to me that you are a end game rusher, nothing wrong with that, it's common practice for people in MMO's who wish to be the 'first' to experience the end game, or to reach it as quickly as they can. There is not a fault to be had in this play-style. However, playing like this will ALWAYS give you a quicker 1-max level experience. 

I play around 8 hours a day, sometimes more. Really enjoying the game so this is my go-to game at the moment. My main character is level 35 only (which is a paladin). This is because I am looking into all the things I can do and explore. I have been getting my seals, hunting log, doing my crafting and bringing up my other jobs to reasonable levels. I like that this game has a lot of stuff I can do without the 'leveling' being the core aspect of my game time. 

You personally are a level 40 WAR so you're a tank like me, to be honest the dungeons that follow the story are not that difficult. The side dungeons (the ones you pick up from outside of the story like Cutters Cry, Quarm etc) are a little bit different. I was very surprised to see how difficult Quarm was when compared to Brayflox. It was a nice fresh bit of air to actually play a game with mechanics that the party had to work together to over come rather than just aoe tanking and nuking. 

Now, my brother however (much like you) rushed to the end game with his Dragoon to which he assures me that the elite dungones as far far harder. He showed me him playing Ifrit elite version and lordy did that look a lot harder than normal ifrit. 

As for the other primals, I didn't have an issue with. Some DPS struggled I found when doing Titan but that was about all. Also as a tank I found a LOT of DPS do not use the in game threat meter so they just over nuke everything and a lot of them simply did not know of it's existence. 

Really enjoying this game, but I would agree that some parts can be easy, not everything mind you and it does scale in difficulty. Take your time and enjoy the game, the quests are good fun and the story is good. Just don't burn yourself out and ruin it for yourself. 

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Originally posted by NobleNerd

Your point is true and i wish Yoshida decided to do something about it, but what will happen is there will be a mass of players rushing to end game and then crying about it in a month or 2 because there is "no content". This may come back to bite them in the arse!

I myself am enjoying the game for what it was meant to be.... a great storyline, fun combat and grouping with friends to do the party content. The primal fights can be tough, but I like the fact you can re-do without wait time. Some of the early dungeons are a bit easy, but for the most part it is not a facepalm game.... I even have had pug groups that respected and used crowd control (OH, say it aint so!).

from what im hearing that is aquite a it to do at end game cause of the gear you have to get to do the new content thats coming out. plus in 2month ish we are getting a huge patch. 2.1 pvp, housing, 24 manr aids new primals hard mode for the 1 primals thatt heya lready have world bosses i think. on the new primals that might be patch 2.2

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

OP that TOO EASY has been something i have preached on for a long time,it is a really bad design decision but one oh so many gamer's seem to think is a good idea.

It ruins many aspects of game play because of it.It directs players into a soloing game style ,then when players actually need to group they are unorganized and just not ready to group.It also does not allow of intuitive combat,more or less faster combat with a few hotbar buttons.

Even more of a negative to this speed leveling  is you never actually enjoy levels or gear.This si why so many gamer's are used to playing that Wow style where they just speed through and ignore the entire game for end level gear grinding.Then they start clamoring for pvp at that same end game.

Gaming should be a COMPLETE enjoyable experience through each level.Those levels should feel like an aging process whereby you become smarter and more skillful.Hitting max level in a week or two is like a 5 year old baby having all the skills of  a phd ,licensed doctor,Carpenter,Architect.This whole speed point to end level needs to be removed from gaming,it is not doing games any favors.

There should  be a sticky on developers doors that remind them they are making a ROLE PLAYING game,not an end game instance grind fest or some end game pvp  either.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TwystedWizTwystedWiz Member UncommonPosts: 175

I'd like to address the "raced to 50 and now complain that there is nothing to do" comments.

• MMO's have been in production since before 1999.

• In every MMO ever released a certain percentage of players have raced to cap.  More players do it now than ever before.

• There is absolutely NO excuse for releasing a major MMO in 2013 without endgame content in place and ready on launch day so those players who choose to get to cap as their primary mode of enjoying the game remain engaged.

• Whether you personally would like to take a year or a day to get to cap is irrelevant.  If there is no, or limited and repetitive, endgame content available AT LAUNCH the game is unfinished.

• Running the same instance you did at 30 when you get to 50 on "Hard" mode is NOT endgame content.  It's just harder than the same instance you did at 30.

FFXIV is unfinished.  And while it may hold promise for some they are already losing players who got to cap and are now asking, "is that all there is"?

This is not necessarily and indictment of FFXIV: ARR specifically but a large percentage of the MMO"s that have been released recently.

I really don't think that there is any question, FFXIV is too easy.  Players are getting to max cap before the free trial is even over.  Why stick around if they've already "beat the game"?

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by TwystedWiz

FFXIV is unfinished.  <snip>

I really don't think that there is any question, FFXIV is too easy.  Players are getting to max cap before the free trial is even over.  Why stick around if they've already "beat the game"?

Excuse me?  So by your very definition FFXIV IS a finished game.  It DOES have endgame content (other than Hard modes).  In fact, people are only just now starting to get anywhere on the final Raid (Coils of Bahamut).  Have they beat it?  Hell no.  Have they come close?  Nope.  Will they?  Sure.

There's a ton of stuff to do at end game.  You gotta earn your weapon, attune your weapon, build your weapon, kill stuff with your weapon just to get it. 

All these hard modes are practice for the endgame and if you played the rest of the game, you'd realize all instances are really practice sessions for the NEXT, harder instance.

FFXIV is unfinished. 

Excuse me?  So by your very definition FFXIV IS a finished game.  It DOES have endgame content (other than Hard modes).  In fact, people are only just now starting to get anywhere on the final Raid (Coils of Bahamut).  Have they beat it?  Hell no.  Have they come close?  Nope.  Will they?  Sure.

There's a ton of stuff to do at end game.  You gotta earn your weapon, attune your weapon, build your weapon, kill stuff with your weapon just to get it. 

All these hard modes are practice for the endgame and if you played the rest of the game, you'd realize all instances are really practice sessions for the NEXT, harder instance.

So, one "final raid" means end game content to you?

"There's a ton of stuff to do at end game.  You gotta earn your weapon, attune your weapon, build your weapon, kill stuff with your weapon just to get it."

So, earning, attuning, building, and using your weapon is a "ton of stuff to do"?  IMO, pursuit of a weapon is not really end game content.  It is something you do in preparation for end game content.

Me thinks that perhaps some players are too easily satisfied and really don't comprehend what "end game" means...

• AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570

FFXIV is unfinished. 

"There's a ton of stuff to do at end game.  You gotta earn your weapon, attune your weapon, build your weapon, kill stuff with your weapon just to get it."

So, earning, attuning, building, and using your weapon is a "ton of stuff to do"?  IMO, pursuit of a weapon is not really end game content.  It is something you do in preparation for end game content.

Me thinks that perhaps some players are too easily satisfied and really don't comprehend what "end game" means...

Really?  That's pretty much the end game of most games.  Getting the best gear, beating the hardest instances, and PvP'ing (when available).

The thing with this game is that people think getting level 50 on one class is "reaching the end-game".  Uhm, no.  It *can* be if you choose to ignore everything else, but there's a lot more to do in the game.  A lot of it seems like it needs to be done too so you can get the character power that allows you to even attempt a legitimate run - regardless of individual player skill.

• icculus2112icculus2112 Member Posts: 105

The game is too fast to level to the cap, however if you do it properly (dont grind FATEs) then its a good deal longer than games like Rift and SWTOR.  SE needs to do the following things:

Cut FATE exp by 95% for your highest class.  

Cut FATE exp by 50% for secondary classes.  

Scale FATEs better for larger groups

Increase dungeon and guildhest completion bonus to trigger once per class instead of once per character to encourage people to learn their classes better

Implement areas of challenging, high exp mobs so the old school group grind is a real option

FFXIV is unfinished. 

Really?  That's pretty much the end game of most games.  Getting the best gear, beating the hardest instances, and PvP'ing (when available).

The thing with this game is that people think getting level 50 on one class is "reaching the end-game".  Uhm, no.  It *can* be if you choose to ignore everything else, but there's a lot more to do in the game.  A lot of it seems like it needs to be done too so you can get the character power that allows you to even attempt a legitimate run - regardless of individual player skill.

Really.  The gear grind is not "end game" content...  End game content is what you do in your gear.

FFXIV: ARR has one end game "instance" that isn't a repeat of earlier instances.  Not impressive in 2013.

PvP is not, and should not be limited to an "end game" activity.

What else ya got?