Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cut scenes without voice suck

2»

Comments

• Hitman211Hitman211 Member Posts: 52

Voice overs are nice, but not needed to make a great game.

Yeah, the way its set up is a bit akward...sometimes the cut scene is still going but people just stop talking.

I think the parts that are voiced over are really well done, even in English (don't think the lip syncing was modified for English lol)

It adds to the story for sure, and there are not all that many voice over parts, so it can be a nice treat.

I don't need someone to read to me to access a great story though.  I know lots of people skip everything written and are missing out on some great story (not that they are probably interested)

Knowing the story is so important (imo) to understand the world, giving you reference, and setting the ambience...this game does fantastic ambience btw...top notch if not the best I can remember out of any game ive played prior.

Should they have voiced everything and every character?  Im sure a few people would be a bit happier...don't see why they couldn't.  Unless they were rushed...you know..to completely redo a game that totally flopped in a time frame that kept the game on par with others or whatever....and let me say...brilliant choice of release date.  Plenty of time between the next major launches in the middle of a dead zone of decent games being new...also PS4 on the horizion and game is compatible if you bought for ps3...yeah I can understand why they rushed (if that is the reason for partial voice overs...don't see how hard it is to keep voice actors around for a few more hours to finish it up...unless they did are are going to add that soon...)

• KorususKorusus Member UncommonPosts: 831

I may have agreed once upon a time,

But SW:TOR cured me of that problem.  In five years we can compare the number of expansions (real expansions, not Makeb) that SWTOR has had compared to Final Fantasy XIV and then decide on the merits of voice overs.  In the meantime I'll take my non-voice over cutscenes if it means we can get more of them more often without having to worry about paying and retaining 16 separate voice actors for every class/sex combo.

Full-voice over just can't deliver the level of content that an MMO needs to survive and thrive in this theme-park saturated market.

----------
    Life sucks, buy a helmet.

• Hitman211Hitman211 Member Posts: 52
    Originally posted by Korusus

I may have agreed once upon a time,

But SW:TOR cured me of that problem.  In five years we can compare the number of expansions (real expansions, not Makeb) that SWTOR has had compared to Final Fantasy XIV and then decide on the merits of voice overs.  In the meantime I'll take my non-voice over cutscenes if it means we can get more of them more often without having to worry about paying and retaining 16 separate voice actors for every class/sex combo.

Full-voice over just can't deliver the level of content that an MMO needs to survive and thrive in this theme-park saturated market.

Never thought of it like that but...yeah....

Lets say in a year you need to do an expansion...and you cant get the voice actors or a few back...

Would really make a mess of the story if you had to exclude character because their voice actor was busy or raised his price to something crazy ect.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701
    I can't stand voices in mmorpgs. The little bit that they do have here is enough, if not too much. 
  • AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_film

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_film

Back in the day film didn't have sound. Do you think people complained about not having sound in their Final Fantasy Feel in the 1910's or the 1920's? I don't remember them complaining about it.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by AmbrosiaAmor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_film

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_film

Back in the day film didn't have sound. Do you think people complained about not having sound in their Final Fantasy Feel in the 1910's or the 1920's? I don't remember them complaining about it.

Really you want  to compare things from the 1910's or 1920's with current technology?

Again it has nothing to do with not wanting to read. Because some poster for what ever reason seem to believe people don't want to read. I do read quests/missions etc.....but it's just akeward in Final Fantasy when you see actuall lipsink without any voice. I don't need everthing voiced. But the mainstory line should have been voiced.

• StimzStimz Member UncommonPosts: 79
    Originally posted by Deathstrike2
    There's finally a cure for altitis.  Forcing me to watch the cut scenes for 10 - 15 minutes just to get into the game is bad enough, but having to do it with no voice is just painful.  BLAH! 

First of all, There are no alts( or there shouldnt be) since ya lvl all of the classes on one character. Two, You wont ever do the story agian after that one character( unless, agian, ya make another character for some reason). And Three, The game will eventually be voiced, The reason the voice acting is odd, is that it is voice acted in japan( Notice the moths dont move with english words.)

• shadow9d9shadow9d9 Member UncommonPosts: 374
    There shouldn't be cutscenes to begin with.  This is an mmo, not a single player game.  Focus on content, not "story."  When EVERYONE sees the same cutscene, the "story" becomes a joke... MMOs don't seem to learn this.  MMOS are NOT ABOUT STORY!
  • BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by sumdumguy1
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    Originally posted by sumdumguy1
    Originally posted by nate1980

I both agree and disagree. It's annoying to watch cut scenes without voice overs compared to watching them with voice overs, but I'd rather have cut scenes  than nothing at all. It helps tell the story and helps immerse me in the world. I just look at it this way. DAOC and SWG only had large ass chat boxes to tell their story with inanimate NPC's. FF14 is a step up. 

Has anyone else notice that the NPC's lips don't sync with the words? Maybe their lips are speaking Japanese...

I agree and will add remember voice acting is very very expensive, and doesn't always work out the way you'd think.  Look at SWTOR, spent tons of money on voice acting.  I am not supporting this one way or another, just making an observation.  I love this game and will play it in its current state without any regrets or remorse.  From a positive perspective reading reminds me of the old school text games and I get a certain sense of immersion that way.

Funcom will disagree with you considering the budget of TSW and the top quality voice acting.

You may want relook at your information.  The report to investors shows that to be a decent size expenditure for TSW.  

The comparison was being made with budget of SWTOR. And i don't need to tell you  about deep pockets of SE. So it is definitely not about money with SE.