Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What other SCI FI mmorpg is there outther?

2»

Comments

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

It's Sci-Fantasy, a hybrid.

The SW universe has elements of Sci-Fi .. but also elements of Fantasy.

Traveling through the universe in mechanical ships, using technology based weapons, and the reliance on technology for military defense make SW Sci-Fi ...

But the Force uses other schemes like tele-kinesis, mind control, fortune telling, and various other psionic abilities to make for fantasy elements which have no real technological explanation (other than miticlorians, a freak of nature, such as in X-Men mutations).

Sci-Fantasy.  Not that it makes much difference, as it is still a great environment to experience, movies, games, or imagination.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

Star Wars is "technically" fantasy:

Science fiction is largely based on writing rationally about alternative possible worlds or futures.[2] It is similar to, but differs from fantasy in that, within the context of thestory, its imaginary elements are largely possible within scientifically established or scientifically postulated laws of nature (though some elements in a story might still be pure imaginative speculation).

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

To make this reply stay on topic, i think the Anarchy Online is an excellent sci-fi game. (as far as sci-fi can exist in MMO form) If you can look past its age you'll have a good time. It's complicated but rewarding.

For eye-candy SWeaTOR is hard to beat.

For space pew pew EVE and ST:O right now are the powerhouses. ST:O adds planetary adventures and quests, while EVE has ELITE/Freespace/X type trading and superior PVP.

But then none of those are truly science fiction in my opinion...

I've always used this as a separator (it's not perfect, but then what is)

Science Fiction is modern philosophy hidden behind fictional characters, settings, and settings.

Where philosophy is defined as, "the study of general and fundamental problems, such as those connected with reality, existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language."

To further elaborate, Science Fiction allows us to examine ourselves and our problems, desires, and fears through a filter of fiction that separates us from immediate emotional investment long enough to listen to the lesson. That filter usually takes the shape of a future existence.

Fantasy on the other hand is pure escapism. It's for enjoyment and little else. If there are examinations of self, or lessons to be learned they are usually elementary in nature and don't aspire to be profound.

That being said, there is plenty of overlap. Just because the story has swords and spells doesn't mean it can't teach you something profound, and just because it has spaceships doesn't mean it's not going to be pew pew eye/mind candy. But for the most part these differences hold true. As I have said it's not perfect, but more often than not when i have finished a Science Fiction/Fantasy book when i sat back and had a lot to think about it was a science fiction novel, when I sat back and thought wow, that was a fun read, it was a fantasy novel.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• VezlinVezlin Member UncommonPosts: 35

Guys, woah, derail. Not that the debate of whether or not star-wars is sci-fi or fantasy or not isn't interesting, but the poor OP just wanted games that could, even if just technically, be described as having a sci-fi setting. That said:

Anarchy Online--I remember this being faction conflict based, but can't say much more.

Face of Mankind--100% RP without having to roleplay, you join factions that take on various roles throughout a sci-fi society; armies, police, workers, criminals, doctors, so on and so forth. It made for interesting objectives that changed based on your faction, and promotion rather than levelling up as a means of advancement.

Eve of Online--Haven't played it much, but there's definitely a lot to find on it.

Global Agenda--Third person shooter with jetpacks, open world and instance elements, guild/clan PvP functions, and more usual PvP functions.

Firefall--It's in open beta. Stuff is being sold, sure, but last I played, it's very much a beta. That said, interesting concept, and worth doofing around in to kill some time. NPC guided enemy forces try to take over territory. Using TPS gameplay and jetpacks (soundfamiliar?), you can fight them back and hunt for resources to open up new areas and crafting new equipment.

Star Trek Online--Is, like, TOR's polar opposite? Evil twin? It went a totally different direction. You're not a one-dude, you're a ship captain with a team of bridge officers, fully customizable and usable in gameplay. Instead of only having access to main storyline, there a bunch of random areas with random quests, plus player made quests and plotlines available. Combat's semi-actiony, tepending on weapon loadout and targetting scheme, though you can easily play it more 'traditionally MMO-like,' as well.

Originally posted by echolynfan

Star Wars is "technically" fantasy:

Science fiction is largely based on writing rationally about alternative possible worlds or futures.[2] It is similar to, but differs from fantasy in that, within the context of thestory, its imaginary elements are largely possible within scientifically established or scientifically postulated laws of nature (though some elements in a story might still be pure imaginative speculation).

If you are going to use someone elses text-book definitions, then you might want to stick your neck out and call Star Trek fantasy too .. because many of the episodes dealt with the unknown, with other races (or oddities of "nature") not behaving under the known laws of science.

The Enterprise was always under in danger because of the unexpected :P  Kirk or Picard never had full control of their ships defenses, even for a whole season.  Think about that for a moment ...

edit:

Global Agenda--Third person shooter with jetpacks, open world and instance elements, guild/clan PvP functions, and more usual PvP functions. (posted above).

I liked that game, but haven't played it since I upgraded my machine .. Is it still up?  Fun to play still?

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

By some of your definitions star trek is a fantasy since it has fantasy tropes to it too

Example like each of the main races

Klingons = Orcs

Romulans = Dark Elves

Vulcans = High Elves

Ferrengi = Goblins

Borg = Undead

But to the subject try Fallen Earth

• pmreeb23pmreeb23 Member UncommonPosts: 65
    Star Wars is a Space Opera!

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by pmreeb23
    Star Wars is a Space Opera!

which is a sub-genre of sci-fi http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_opera

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Well there you have it OP...we've all been skooled by an overly-pedantic poster and must come to the conclusion that there are no Sci-Fi MMOs out there at all. We must all wait for the Flowers For Algernon MMO.
    Originally posted by Drakephire
    Well there you have it OP...we've all been skooled by an overly-pedantic poster and must come to the conclusion that there are no Sci-Fi MMOs out there at all. We must all wait for the Flowers For Algernon MMO.

Sadly, it's like when Tickle-Me-Emo said that there was no God :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7IxliAPjAk

There is no Sci-Fi ... There is no .. sci ... fi ...

[according to various posters of course!, God or Sci-fi may actually exist, the poster claims no responsibility for no God or no Sci-Fi, restrictions apply].

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,367
    Originally posted by tkreep

By some of your definitions star trek is a fantasy since it has fantasy tropes to it too

Klingons = Orcs

Romulans = Dark Elves

Vulcans = High Elves

Ferrengi = Goblins

Borg = Undead

Uhhh, Star Trek was conceived far before D&D raised its head, and I really don't think Roddenberry was referencing Tolkien.

Star Wars is space opera.   It's a subgenre that plays fast and loose with basic laws of nature.  All the space fighters behave as if they were WWI biplanes (this was actually intentional, iirc), not like spacecraft operating in a vacuum.   Lucas was always about the visuals, and that's the conception that he had.  

Fallen Earth is a good reccomendation though, if you like that post apocalyptic tinge.   Not a lot of MMO choices, though if you go into shooters there's a lot more.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by Arglebargle

Uhhh, Star Trek was conceived far before D&D raised its head, and I really don't think Roddenberry was referencing Tolkien.

Yea, he was referencing westerns... Wagon Train specifically

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Star Citizen will be the only good Star Wars MMO, and it's not made by EA
  • tort0429tort0429 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    Originally posted by Velocinox

To make this reply stay on topic, i think the Anarchy Online is an excellent sci-fi game. (as far as sci-fi can exist in MMO form) If you can look past its age you'll have a good time. It's complicated but rewarding.

For space pew pew EVE and ST:O right now are the powerhouses. ST:O adds planetary adventures and quests, while EVE has ELITE/Freespace/X type trading and superior PVP.

Science Fiction is modern philosophy hidden behind fictional characters, settings, and settings.

Where philosophy is defined as, "the study of general and fundamental problems, such as those connected with reality, existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language."

To further elaborate, Science Fiction allows us to examine ourselves and our problems, desires, and fears through a filter of fiction that separates us from immediate emotional investment long enough to listen to the lesson. That filter usually takes the shape of a future existence.

Fantasy on the other hand is pure escapism. It's for enjoyment and little else. If there are examinations of self, or lessons to be learned they are usually elementary in nature and don't aspire to be profound.

That being said, there is plenty of overlap. Just because the story has swords and spells doesn't mean it can't teach you something profound, and just because it has spaceships doesn't mean it's not going to be pew pew eye/mind candy. But for the most part these differences hold true. As I have said it's not perfect, but more often than not when i have finished a Science Fiction/Fantasy book when i sat back and had a lot to think about it was a science fiction novel, when I sat back and thought wow, that was a fun read, it was a fantasy novel.

Nicely written.  Thanks.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by tkreep

Klingons = Orcs

Romulans = Dark Elves

Vulcans = High Elves

Ferrengi = Goblins

Borg = Undead

counting the number of "magic" powers in star trek, its actually more fantasy, than star wars

the old school definition of scifi is, that only ONE "magic" power is allowed

if they put in 2, then its fantasy

by that defintiion, blade runner isnt scifi, its just a movie about the future

hello..Grimm Brothers? Tolkien? h.c.andersen?

the only REAL difference: scifi is in the future, fantasy can be at any point in time

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,367

Wow, my jaw just hit the floor.  I can't imagine thinking that's a workeable set of definitions.  Doesn't even match up with Sturgeon's Law at all.  Your reading must differ a lot from mine.  

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Originally posted by simplius

the only REAL difference: scifi is in the future, fantasy can be at any point in time

That definition doesn't really work either...remember the opening to Star Wars: "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away"...It's meant to be an ancient tale.  But then again, Star Wars is Science Fantasy, so I suppose your definition is somewhat workable.

However, I can imagine a Sci-Fi story that takes place in the past, set on a different world in which technology evolves sooner than ours.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by JRRNeiklot
    Star Wars is fantasy.   Other than a few buzzwords like hyperspace, there is no scifi whatsoever in SW.
    [EDIT]
    Nevermind. Saw some other posts and it is a lost cause.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

Originally posted by Drakephire
    Originally posted by simplius

That definition doesn't really work either...remember the opening to Star Wars: "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away"...It's meant to be an ancient tale.  But then again, Star Wars is Science Fantasy, so I suppose your definition is somewhat workable.

However, I can imagine a Sci-Fi story that takes place in the past, set on a different world in which technology evolves sooner than ours.

and i can imagine using a lightsabre in wow,,does that make wow a scifi game?

Theres exceptions to every rule, but generally, scifi is in the future

the opening lines from star wars is part of the satire , that  a new hope was so full of

that satire was ,mostly, dropped in the sequels, when star wars had become big business

• OldTimeGamerOldTimeGamer Member Posts: 87

When considering "What is Science Fiction" I tend to recall Arthur C. Clarke's Three Laws of Prediction:

1. When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.
    2. The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
    3. Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    The third law is especially appropriate.