Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Time + Action Progression?

AlleinAllein San Diego, CAPosts: 1,669Member Uncommon

How would you feel if EQN had some sort of hybrid time based + action based progression system?

EVE has time based progression where you earn as real time passes (not a fan of the offline progressing). GW2 rewards players for pretty much everything they do (exploring all the major cities will earn you a few levels when starting out), Wildstar has multiple "Paths" to allow player to focus on their interests while doing the normal PVE combat grind.

I think EQN could benefit from adopting a little from each.

Time Based Rewards: Earn a steady amount of points for X hours a day, maybe 4-8 hours (no need to try and work the system or stay up for 72 hours or have 5 people playing the same character, enough cheating and gaming fatalities already).

Action Based Rewards: Earn points for everything. Exploring (discovering dungeon, new areas, different mobs, etc), Crafting (Buying/Selling - Being a Merchant), Building (Extra for helping someone else build), Unlocking Classes, Quests (Helping others doing quests you aren't on), Rally Calls, etc.

PVE - Mobs: Killing a random goblin in the forest gives X points, killing the same mob during a Rally Call gives several times more as does "fighting fair" and avoiding zerg combat.

Discourage Zerging by not rewarding players for mass attacking mobs. Set a limit of how many can be rewarded for killing a mob. Goblin Whelp - 5 Players, Goblin King - 20, Orc Horde - 50, Dragon - 75, Dragon + 5 Drakes - 150, etc. If the suggested player amount is exceeded, give no reward or a very very small one. Without static spawns, zerging should be difficult to begin with.

"Progress Points": Everything you do earns points that are added to a pool. You are able to do whatever you wish with them. Spent all day killing Kobolds as a Mage, put the points into a Bard or Crafting. Spent all day buying and selling goods, put points into a Rogue.

No Respec: While you can spend how you wish, you can't unlearn anything. So you have to think ahead and spend wisely.

Earning points is continuous and you are rewarded fairly, so no need to respec constantly. Goes along with your decisions follow you. Once you are a Tier 4 Warrior, you can't erase that from memory. Could make becoming particular classes (Paladin/SK) interesting. Maybe if you become a Paladin, it takes several times longer to become a SK along with whatever other steps are required.

Without levels or vertical progression, I think they can get really creative with rewarding players for actually playing and enjoying the game as a whole instead of trying "beat" it as quickly as possible by doing whatever gives the most xp.

A mixed reward system would allow everyone to earn something, even if it is just time played points, while rewarding those that are active and out there participating in the story or doing their own thing and adventuring. As long as you are actually playing the game, you'll never be "left behind".

Any thoughts?

Comments

• RydesonRydeson Canton, OHPosts: 3,858Member Uncommon
         Being that it's a Free to Play game allows for a huge numbers of Free accounts..  For characters to earn progression while sitting on a shelf collecting dust will invite abuse..  As I recall... Doesn't EVE restrict progression PER account.. So you can not have multiple alts progressing at the same time..
  • AlleinAllein San Diego, CAPosts: 1,669Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Rydeson
         Being that it's a Free to Play game allows for a huge numbers of Free accounts..  For characters to earn progression while sitting on a shelf collecting dust will invite abuse..  As I recall... Doesn't EVE restrict progression PER account.. So you can not have multiple alts progressing at the same time..

Huh? I am talking about earning points for actively playing. I don't like EVE's offline progress and didn't mention sharing progress between characters or accounts, that sounds horrible.

• sanshi44sanshi44 BrisbanePosts: 1,088Member Uncommon
    Pritty sure they said u need 2 meet a certeain critera to unlock next teir up stuff for ur clas sor a new class all togther, different teirs/classes require different criteria to unlock some range from finding an item in the world like a book to slaying mobs or even lending helping hands to NPC and factions and so on.
    Originally posted by sanshi44
    Pritty sure they said u need 2 meet a certeain critera to unlock next teir up stuff for ur clas sor a new class all togther, different teirs/classes require different criteria to unlock some range from finding an item in the world like a book to slaying mobs or even lending helping hands to NPC and factions and so on.

Maybe I missed that, I believe all I've seen mentioned is that having a full set of Tier 3 gear will be needed to access Tier 4, which could mean you have to have certain items to access content or that it is strongly encouraged as without it, you will die. They also mentioned that you can earn progress with one class and spend it on another, how complex this gets is unknown to me. I take it to mean that if you spend 99% of your time as a Tier 4 Mage, you can continue to earn progress and put it towards other classes.

• RydesonRydeson Canton, OHPosts: 3,858Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Allein

Huh? I am talking about earning points for actively playing. I don't like EVE's offline progress and didn't mention sharing progress between characters or accounts, that sounds horrible.

So you want AFK toons sitting in a city, while you go to school or work to earn progression points?   And you don't think that will be abused?  I think the current "action" based progression is just fine.. I actually liked how EQ and WoW did it..  I wish games would go back to that play style..  oh well

So you want AFK toons sitting in a city, while you go to school or work to earn progression points?   And you don't think that will be abused?  I think the current "action" based progression is just fine.. I actually liked how EQ and WoW did it..  I wish games would go back to that play style..  oh well

I like the action based progress as well, just thought the time based system could be incorporated in some way. Like I said, I'm not a fan of the offline system EVE has nor do I think people should AFK. I think all games should have AFK checks and boot people that are idle for too long. Was just an idea to encourage people to play and try new things as they would still be earning progress, even if they weren't really accomplishing too much. Action based progress should still be #1 form of progress. EQ/WoW only rewarded for mob kills and quests for the most part. Games have advanced a bit and people should be rewarded for doing more then the standard mob/quest grind, surprisingly, not everyone finds those methods to be worth playing a game for.

• rungardrungard st. john''s, NFPosts: 1,035Member

I like the action based progress as well, just thought the time based system could be incorporated in some way. Like I said, I'm not a fan of the offline system EVE has nor do I think people should AFK. I think all games should have AFK checks and boot people that are idle for too long. Was just an idea to encourage people to play and try new things as they would still be earning progress, even if they weren't really accomplishing too much. Action based progress should still be #1 form of progress. EQ/WoW only rewarded for mob kills and quests for the most part. Games have advanced a bit and people should be rewarded for doing more then the standard mob/quest grind, surprisingly, not everyone finds those methods to be worth playing a game for.

with any luck there will be no experience at all. Just collectable skills, classes and equipment.

no more levels, no more exp, no more "points".

wouldn't that be different?