Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[POLL] Should ESOs art style be more stylized and cartoony?

2»

Comments

• KyutaSyukoKyutaSyuko Member UncommonPosts: 288
    The Elder Scrolls already has its own art style and if they changed it in ESO then it wouldn't be an Elder Scrolls game.  At least not to me.
  • SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Art style is the best thing this game has imo. Now, if only there were better devs who actually can think out of Daoc box...
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by keithian
    Originally posted by Elikal

I prefer realistic at ANY day. BUT: I want the world still to be lush and with atmosphere. The TESO videos I saw were way too many grey and brown and OH LOOK more grey and brown. I do NOT want TESO more stylized, so there wasn't any answer that applied to me for real.

In the end I need to SEE it ingame (and EQN as comparison, too) to really say.

As I said, I want realism, but please not like all colour bled out.

"Such are the 'new realism' games: what isn't brown is grey, and what isn't grey is too dark to make out!"

- Yahtzee, Zero Punctuation

To be honest, I felt skyrim has a lot of earth colors in general..a lot of browns, greys, and earthy green blends. It suited the game to me. I installed that tropical jungle mod which made it super colorful  and the game felt completely out of place so I uninstalled it. I think we will find with ESO some locations are more vibrant than others, but I hope they stick with the earthy color scheme.

Ok this is how I play Skyrim, with two visual mods. One really raises the saturation, like A LOT. And the other adds more lush grass and flowers. Not over the top like the tropical mod, but those wonderful colours just cheer me up. :)

This is the best example how I'd like TESO to look. ^^

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• Synns77Synns77 Member Posts: 124
    I think eso looks ok, it seems to have that skyrim type look which is exactly what it should have. My only concern with this approach is how well the game will age, stylised graphics do tend to remain fresh looking for longer. In the end though its the gameplay that will make or break this game not the graphics.
    Originally posted by Synns77
    I think eso looks ok, it seems to have that skyrim type look which is exactly what it should have. My only concern with this approach is how well the game will age, stylised graphics do tend to remain fresh looking for longer. In the end though its the gameplay that will make or break this game not the graphics.

I hear the aging argument often, but seriously: how many years are we playing the same MMO? I guess any top notch graphics of 2014 will look good enough for 5 years, and by then 200 new MMOs will be there anyway. ;)

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• Mr.KujoMr.Kujo Member Posts: 383

Originally posted by SimonVDH

Originally posted by Sengi
    • Cartoony and non violent graphics appeal to all audiences and are more family friendly.

This is false. First: nothing appeals to all audiences, second: there are many people that hate cartoony graphics. Developers choose it because it's easy to make and modify. I would love SWtOR if it had ultra realistic graphic style.

I have the same feeling. When I first heard about SWTOR and saw the realistic cinematic I was exited like a little baby in toy store. Then when I saw the graphics it was like a big kick in the balls. I hate CN for airing Clone Wars, the commercials on the internet themselves made me angry, I hated that style. When I saw that SWTOR basically goes the same way it ruined the game for me. So no, cartoony graphics most definately not appeal to all audiences. I can understand why EQ fans hate new art style, if they change style of something that wasn't originaly cartoony, then that part of audience is just kicked in the balls.

Originally posted by Elikal

Originally posted by Entinerint
    Pretty good as is, but for me there's no end to the amount of dark gritty realism I want.    I voted for MORE dark gritty realism PLEASE!

Noooooooo! You're mean! You only say that to tease me! Shoo! I can't hear you! LALALALALALA!

XD

I also voted for more dark :P But it is because I like to have a choice in life. I am happy that I can choose between cartoony Wildstar, a very stylized EQN and more realistic and dark stylized ESO. I also know that there is a huge choice in games with colorful pallettes and barely any with a dark, horror setting. And I played Requirem, so I know that horror MMO is something that should be made more, because that style is awesome. And I saw leaked video of ESO from russian beta tester and he was in some very dark and creepy location, I hope there are a lots of those in this game.

Originally posted by keithian

To be honest, I felt skyrim has a lot of earth colors in general..a lot of browns, greys, and earthy green blends. It suited the game to me. I installed that tropical jungle mod which made it super colorful  and the game felt completely out of place so I uninstalled it. I think we will find with ESO some locations are more vibrant than others, but I hope they stick with the earthy color scheme.

There are three main reasons behind the lame color pallete they are using. First the most obvious one, it is just a style. Second, the lack of detail in game intensifies that feeling. If you had more colorful elements in it, the effect would be less obvious, but the game is made like in 99% out of gray bricks, gray rocks, and pure green grass, and everything you see man made in cities for some reason has the color of the material it is made of. I guess they haven't invented paint in that universe. Last reason is also the fact, that small pallette doesn't make the eyes tired.

Originally posted by ropenice

Yeah, I'm not sure I'm buying that as their real reason for using the cartoony art. Seems more likely it's to attract WoW players and younger gamers, ie more numbers. I don't even see the appeal of the SOEmote. Not that many people RP deep enough to watch for or need facial emotes and in pvp battle will people really be looking at each others faces or will they be concentrating on the fight. Besides a first glance to see what a character looks like, I can't remember ever looking at faces much. Seems like a waste of resources that could've gone towards other things. Oh well, maybe their is a large amount of people that desire it in game.

I dont agree. If you played around with SOEmote in EQ2 you should know how incredible feature that is and how bad and almost invisible it looked on humanoid races. You had to be Froglock for anyone to see you talking in game. I also think that they have Oculus Rift in mind at this point.

And the feature itself is not only for RPing, it is fun as hell for everyone, when my friend was a talking frog I nearly pissed myself just looking at a frog laughing with his voice. I'm pretty sure that is how future games should be, it is not about RPing but about technology. Everybody wants a virtual world, and being able to talk like your character is a first step to that realm. Imagine combining that with Oculus Rift, it fits perfectly. I'm pretty sure they take Oculus rift into consideration, because by the time they game is released, maybe Oculus will be already in main stream. A pretty underestimated feature in my opinion.

Originally posted by Gorwe

Originally posted by Piiritus
    Art style is the best thing this game has imo. Now, if only there were better devs who actually can think out of Daoc box...

Yup! This is what worries me tbh. Why? Well because this exact thing applies(-ed) to another game Ex DAoC devs made: WAR. And I sure as hell don't want ESO to go down that route...

Mythic washouts should really learn that you can't force an huge IP such as TES or, Asuryan forbid, Warhammer into that small DAoC mould of theirs-insta epic fail if they do this. What they should do instead is to adapt DAoC elements to the bigger IP at hand-insta epic win if they do this(they never do this btw). So the choice is easy: epic fail or epic win? One would think that's a VERY easy question, but no. There obviously are people that love epic fails. Ie:Mythic.

Sorry for off topic!

To be honest I think there are more chances that experienced people finally learn their mistakes and release a good product, then for a fresh, unexperienced company to release their first product and be good xD

• SengiSengi Member CommonPosts: 350

I haven't posted in this thread before, because I didn't want to influence the poll. The reason I made the poll to see what level of approval ESO reaches with its art style and compare it to EQN. So you where kind of part of an experiment. I have just made a new thread in the EQN forum. (link) Feel free to join me over there.

I come to the conclusion that almost to 90% of people like the realistic and gritty direction ESO has taken with its art style, while less then 50% say they like EQNs cartoony graphics.

I'm a big fan of ESOs darker and more realistic graphics. Bethesda has always proven a very solid sense of taste. SOE is running into a dead end with the art style they have chosen for EQN. It is pulling down the whole game.

The arguments I brought up in my initial post are not my own. This is what SOE keeps telling us on the reasons they had for choosing this kind of art style. If you ask me these arguments are just devices to quantify the technical benefit of an art style to sell it to someone who is used to think in terms of use-value analysis, which is a ridiculous way to deal with art in my opinion.

• BigmamajamaBigmamajama Member Posts: 198

Ya I remember when polyester suits were cool, pet rocks, new wave, the 80's mustang,   So now that there is a terrible new trend inflicting MMO's lets just embrace it.

No thanks Ill see it for what it is, bad graphics, and we can add it to this list in 10  years.

So many sheep in this world.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

I voted: I would like the art style to be even more realistic and/or darker and grittier.

But that doesn't mean I wouldn't give ESO a try if it was more stylized or cartoony.

• Mr.KujoMr.Kujo Member Posts: 383
    Originally posted by Bigmamajama

Ya I remember when polyester suits were cool, pet rocks, new wave, the 80's mustang,   So now that there is a terrible new trend inflicting MMO's lets just embrace it.

No thanks Ill see it for what it is, bad graphics, and we can add it to this list in 10  years.

So many sheep in this world.

I dont understand, what is trend? Cartoony graphics? You mean something that is in games since the beginning? Hmm, how can something that was there since day one up until now be a trend?

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

AOC's graphics are the best I've ever seen....IMO.

EQN...WILD STAR...WOW   the worst.

• MiklosanMiklosan Member Posts: 176

I kind of like the Skyrim-ish look of Skyrim as in: http://media.pcgamer.com/files/2012/10/Elder-Scrolls-Online-Skyrim-bridge.jpg

And I hope there will be variations throughout the world of Tamriel. For example, I hope they'll get this concept art of Alik'r Desert to look good ingame: http://tamrielfoundry.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/alikr-desert.jpg

Speaking about graphics; I really wonder how the graphics will turn out to be on Ps4 compared to Ps3-Skyrim!?  Sure, the graphics needs to be toned down a bit due to massive multiplayer but on the other hand Ps4 is next gen....  Really curious how close the graphics will be.

• B0reasB0reas Member UncommonPosts: 8
    The graphics aren't fantastic when compared to Skyrim, but it's not really fair to compare the two when one is single-player and the other isn't and needs to account for potentially more happening on-screen. That being said I appreciate the devs maintaining a realistic look although it doesn't have the raw feel and grit of some of the other ES games, so I voted for more realism and grittiness. Unfortunately unless they remove the sub being mandatory I probably will play other games, and just look forward to TES VI.
  • tanzer126tanzer126 Member CommonPosts: 3

Wow reached 11 million subscribers by catering to the lowest common moron.. a 5 year old can progress through the game and often do thanks in part to that "cartoony" look and lack of worthy parenting. WoW shouldn't be compared to anything more complex than pac-man.

When a game uses a "realistic" art platform, as it ages, it BECOMES stylized and is memorable as it's own style locked to that game

depending on the base platform, the future of the game can be revisualized  with higher definition models.. like a new paint job

DaoC redid it's graphics i believe 3-4 years after its vanilla release. and to this day i still enjoy its art style over some more modern games despite the somewhat blocky character models that the new coat of paint went on to

I've played the game and if they were to change the art style to be more "cartoony" i wouldn't ever give another thought to purchasing it, period. 

• ctaylor99ctaylor99 Member Posts: 12
    To the op, it is great that you want to state your opinion or find out others, but no matter how many of these post come up, and they come up a lot.  It will not change the game one bit.  It is coming out with art style that it has whether you like it or not.  
  • LoLifeLoLife Member CommonPosts: 174
    I like TESO art style as it is =)
  • GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545
    Originally posted by ctaylor99
    To the op, it is great that you want to state your opinion or find out others, but no matter how many of these post come up, and they come up a lot.  It will not change the game one bit.  It is coming out with art style that it has whether you like it or not.  

That's not necessarily true. Hell, since we're in the ESO forums let's looks at what happened to ESO at its reveal.

Players went apeshit. Actually apeshit is understating things, the gaming universe went absolutely batshit crazy when Paul Sage and the unknown PR guy from Zenimax started talking about things like tab target and WoW-like controls. 

Fast forward a few months and they have switched from emulating WoW to emulating Skyrim. Graphics are much more realistic than what they'd showed previously, hotbars are gone, no minimap, etc. It actually looks like Elder Scrolls.

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

• GrintchGrintch Member UncommonPosts: 132
    I just want more color in the game, it's too dreary looking for me with just different shades of gray.
  • RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

It's an Elder Scrolls game. Of course it should look like an Elder Scrolls game. If the IP is harsh and realistic, the MMO should be too. 

What's with people assuming that every game has to look the same? 

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• mithrillionmithrillion Member Posts: 37
    No. Just allow ENB and player made textures.
  • plasmaballsplasmaballs Member UncommonPosts: 3
    I understand that MMO's have crap graphics so that they don't lag as much, but I'd rather have ESO limited to 4 player co-op than lose the skyrim quality graphics.
    Not cartoony, no. More lush, more vibrant colours. I want a really good saturation slider. ;)