Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] The Repopulation: Building Something Grand in the Sand

13»

Comments

• BeermanglerBeermangler Member UncommonPosts: 402
    Too bad they're enforcing factions. Players should have the freedom to create their own factions or stay neutral.

Better to be crazy, provided you know what sane is...

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368
    Originally posted by Beermangler
    Too bad they're enforcing factions. Players should have the freedom to create their own factions or stay neutral.

They have Neutral and Player Created Factions.

This isnt ESO

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• ZloduhZloduh Member UncommonPosts: 3
    this seems a lot like anarchy online, 2 main facions and a neutral one, crafting everything.. factions..just more eye candy

Z.

• wowclonezwowclonez Member Posts: 74
    People grieving over a game that will be free to play. Why grieve over a game that will be free to try with no risk. You like it, great, you hate it, who cares. I'd be more worried about plopping 60 bucks on a AAA mmo that sucked. Good luck with TESO and Wildstar, may TOR be with you.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
  • GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by Burntvet
    Also, the sports cars, Hawaiian shirts, and Hentai billboards don't help much either.

Uhmm.. Are you talking about Archeage?

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh

Originally posted by Burntvet
    Also, the sports cars, Hawaiian shirts, and Hentai billboards don't help much either.

Uhmm.. Are you talking about Archeage?

Whoops, yeah, wrong window...
  • OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

Simply can not have a true player economy in a f2p game with cash shops lol.

Simple fact = player economy in an economy driven by selling goods/resources from one person to another, to rely on one crafter to make components for your items, to have dedicated crafters, and the constant flow of money and resources.

In a F2P game you can have multiple accounts for free and have one of every crafter making you self-reliant which takes away from a player based economy. It will cause the market to be flooded and values of items to be worthless and not worth the effort. You will be able to make everything yourself without interaction and bartering. Every F2P game I have ever played has had a crap player economy usually resorting in worthless crafting and economy being destroyed.

Any time you offer things in a cash shop you take those items out of the crafters hands to be crafted and made. Any type of clothing, armor, weapon, mount, etc than can be collected, made, tamed, forged, or grown defeats the purpose of a true player economy.

It also hurt the people that do not want to craft the hardest. If crafting is worthless, less crafters, less value for items = less money spent on buy resources combatants collect and harvest.  It harms everyone chance of making a buck. I spent just as much on resources as a crafter from combatants as I would make from production = constant flow and a driven economy.

Granted this may not happen, but I can not think of one f2p that has a solid player economy or a serious business aspect that isn't loot based. If your economy is flooded with meaningless items and values are dropped due to this, and if your economy becomes stagnate from the mass productions of items no one wants because everyone can make their own, you basically just destroyed your player driven economy.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    yep soon as they announced f2p, they pretty much killed any player based economy which is almost mandatory for a sandbox.
  • UncleTopherUncleTopher Member UncommonPosts: 36

I wouldn't sell the game short on the f2p model. It CAN be done. LOTRO is a perfect example of how to maintain a f2p with a happy player base.  In this game I think they are taking MMO's up the next step in the evolutionary ladder. 

Tophiate
    Co-Founder of Elder Moot
    SotA Founder