Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm not giving this game a fanfare or anything...

Electro057Electro057 Member UncommonPosts: 683

But it's really good so far, from what I've played it's rather enjoyable.

That said I don't quite understand the people whining and crying and saying they're gunna quit cause they can't play....

I mean they've said they aren't charging us until servers are running at optimal capacity. And they've said they'll be issuing free days as a reward for loyalty right? So...I don't see where the flaccid flapping sphincters are coming from....

I mean it's going to be still here in a couple of days, and weeks, and apparently more accessible. And you'll have not lost anything, in fact you can do productive life things till then...You paid for the CD and the key, you got that, and your subs aren't being charged yet....So what's the deal? Why the complaining...You bought the CD, and it was given...And they intend to give you in earnest your days you've missed that come with the reg key...

Is this that entitlement first world thing I keep hearing about? Must be nice....

Also, they do say that craving and desire make the thing that more sweeter when you finally achieve it. So just wait and it'll go from pretty alright to nerdgasmic?

--Custom Rig: Pyraxis---
NZXT Phantom 410 Case
Intel Core i5-4690 Processor - Quad Core, 6MB Smart Cache, 3.5GHz
Asus Sabertooth Z87 Motherboard
Asus GeForce GTX 760 Video Card - 2GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0
Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 16GB

Comments

• Rawrg22Rawrg22 Member Posts: 12

Thank you!  The sense of entitlement from most of these people crying about "wasted time" and "there's no excuse for these problems" obviously are people who've never had any real responsibility in their life.  If they had, they'd cut SE a modicum of slack, but as it stands, they all sound like puerile little brats screaming because they didn't get their way.  SE is working on it, and sorry kiddos, it does take time to install new servers and optimize the software to increase capacity.  This isn't just plug and play stuff you order from Amazon.  If you'd ever worked a difficult job in your life, you'd know that sometimes you get your ass kicked.  If you never got your ass kicked at work, then your job is a cakewalk or you're lucky.  

Also, it's a game, and the level of drama raised over it is shameful.  It's a game!  There are so many things in your life that should be more important.  So your weekend didn't turn out the way you wanted it to.  Watch a movie.  Go on a walk.  Deal with it like an adult instead of spamming insults towards SE and trying to stop others from playing this game.  Fact is that we're just now entering the 2nd week of release of what will probably be the most popular MMO we've seen in a long time, judging by the numbers and the skyrocketing demand.  Also, having played the game plenty, I can say that it's a VERY well made game.  Maybe some people don't like the game personally, but it's still obviously very good and polished.

• Electro057Electro057 Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Exactly, and every launch is bumpy and rough....They probably weren't expecting to get as good a turn out, and even if there are so many...most them are just the 1st month-ers. They'll stay, power level to 50 in the first month, then whine about lack of content and leave...leaving behind a bunch of empty servers. This is a better approach, sadly....This way there won't be a ton of empty servers after the initial month :/

NZXT Phantom 410 Case

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

I am very forgiving, but given the company, the amount of testing they did, and the fact that this is their second time launching the game. And it's the company's second MMO, I have very little forgiveness this time around.

I won't quit over it, I'm sure eventually it will be working fine. But it really is sad how bad this launch has been given the fact it's being heralded as the shining beacon of P2P greatness.

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861

"OMG I CANT LOG ON!! I'VE BEEN SITTING HERE SPAMMING THE LOGIN SCREEN FOR 24 HOURS STRAIGHT!!! WANT TO LEVEL NOW!!!"

#firstworldproblems

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

I am very forgiving, but given the company, the amount of testing they did, and the fact that this is their second time launching the game. And it's the company's second MMO, I have very little forgiveness this time around.

I won't quit over it, I'm sure eventually it will be working fine. But it really is sad how bad this launch has been given the fact it's being heralded as the shining beacon of P2P greatness.

My feelings on the matter. I was a huge fan of FFXI and therefor gave them my money when this game came out the first time around. I have not once complained about the log in issues since the game went live (early start for me) and yet I can't seem to understand why some people are so quick to bash people for their opinions of the game based on what they have played (or not been able to). My feelings of disgust have nothing to do with self entitlement but by all means go ahead and bash me because I am less than pleased with the state of the game at the present time. Giving me free time is fine and all but it matters not when I can't log in and find myself not really caring to the longer this persist. While I am not crying for a refund, I can see why some are and I won't bash them because they paid for the game and can't play. Love the white knights though.... carry on.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• spikers14spikers14 Member UncommonPosts: 531

Here are my top two reasons why the server debacle is bad...call it what you want.

1) There is just something awesome about hundreds of thousands entering a new world -- right out of the gate, and together. 

In the many MMO's I have taken part in over the years, launches are always the most crucial part of the game...and not just for technical reasons. Bands and virtual friendships are forming. The economy is forming. Experiencing new content with entirely new players (not somebody on their second or third class run-through) is an experience that can only happen once. 

That being said, it's not a big deal to miss a launch, assuming the flood gates allow enough new players to flow back into the game simultaneously. However, those in game continue to evolve and grow...the world is actually incomplete because many players are missing (despite the full servers).

2) Considering this is a major rework of an "older" MMO SE has put much effort into, I am fairly sure future calamities will continue to be solved at a snail's pace. If 7-10 days is the best you could do when you are caught with your pants down, FFXIV will have a track record of slow updates, lingering bugs and other problems. 

I don't care if a service is down or is having problems, but I am simply amazed that at least a FEW servers weren't sitting on a back burner...just in case. In fact, Yoshi even said some code would have to be (re)written just to break some functions up(i.e. reduce server stress). The importance here is, they weren't thinking about server capacity as a possible issue...period -- OR --they just don't care how consistent service in NA/EU remains.

Are we the red-headed step children? I think we are. For the same reasons JP world status updates are above NA/EU status updates on the English forums, we are a secondary market for SE. If anything, we aren't yelling loud enough.

• DecimanDeciman Member Posts: 101
    Originally posted by FlawSGI

My feelings on the matter. I was a huge fan of FFXI and therefor gave them my money when this game came out the first time around. I have not once complained about the log in issues since the game went live (early start for me) and yet I can't seem to understand why some people are so quick to bash people for their opinions of the game based on what they have played (or not been able to). My feelings of disgust have nothing to do with self entitlement but by all means go ahead and bash me because I am less than pleased with the state of the game at the present time. Giving me free time is fine and all but it matters not when I can't log in and find myself not really caring to the longer this persist. While I am not crying for a refund, I can see why some are and I won't bash them because they paid for the game and can't play. Love the white knights though.... carry on.

Right but the game is well tested and runs flawlessly with no bugs.

So way more people are trying to play than expected.

I mean how much stock would you have put into a game that was a miserable flop the first time around?  Granted you have hindsight now its an easy choice.

They expected and prepared for a decent crowd to show up...not to break records for concurrent connections for a Japanese game

• MultibyteMultibyte Member UncommonPosts: 128

It may be shocking to some but there are people who want the service they paid for to be delivered as promised. You cannot say "you got your CD..what is your problem?" because this is not a solo game. You need to be able to log in an online service to play. I was considering to purchase this game but the news about log-in issues stopped me (at least for now).

I don't know what these company executives are thinking. You sell a product to people, and you must have the decency and the respect for your customers to deliver the product as advertised, meaning, in this case, people should be able to log in and play.

These failures hurt the games and some never recover. Diablo 3 and Simcity come to my mind, both of which were not prepared properly for launch and they both paid a heavy price. It seems FF is following their example. They may end up needing another reincarnation.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by Deciman
    Originally posted by FlawSGI

Right but the game is well tested and runs flawlessly with no bugs.

So way more people are trying to play than expected.

I mean how much stock would you have put into a game that was a miserable flop the first time around?  Granted you have hindsight now its an easy choice.

They expected and prepared for a decent crowd to show up...not to break records for concurrent connections for a Japanese game

Oh I agree that there is very little in the way of bugs that I encountered during the betas. I couldn't say for sure since launch because I have not touched down in game yet. I don't spam the log in button because I have better things to do personally. IMO, the game is only something to keep me busy until something comes along that I feel will keep me entertained long term because this one wasn't really it. But I can see myself getting a month or two before I play so little that the sub becomes a glaring annoyance rather than something I put up with to play. Hence why I haven't complained but I find it funny that there are some who would rather bash people for their unhappiness about stuff that is broken rather than see their points of views and letting their frustrated comments slide by. It's not like the OP was challenging their opinions on game mechanics or anything.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• DeathageDeathage Member CommonPosts: 146
    Agreed. When I was younger, I remember getting quite annoyed over having to wait in queues. But having grown up a bit, I have come to almost embrace wait queues as a sign of a robust community. I have seen enough fun and promising MMOs be either dead on arrival or fall to a game-closing population (Vanguard, anyone?) to be able to appreciate the wait. I still log into VG sometimes, hoping to find a group for my 28 druid for some group content, only to log off dejectedly after 15 minutes of yelling into the void
  • ionxeelionxeel Member UncommonPosts: 318
    We should THANK SE for such shitty launch! Also there should be an option to not accept the free days, and just pay, because we are all suckers who got tricked into buying shitty product twice! Also would anyone like to buy some shit on a stick? I know it's shit but you DON'T have to eat it, as long as you pay me!
    Originally posted by Rawrg22

Thank you!  The sense of entitlement from most of these people crying about "wasted time" and "there's no excuse for these problems" obviously are people who've never had any real responsibility in their life.  If they had, they'd cut SE a modicum of slack, but as it stands, they all sound like puerile little brats screaming because they didn't get their way.  SE is working on it, and sorry kiddos, it does take time to install new servers and optimize the software to increase capacity.  This isn't just plug and play stuff you order from Amazon.  If you'd ever worked a difficult job in your life, you'd know that sometimes you get your ass kicked.  If you never got your ass kicked at work, then your job is a cakewalk or you're lucky.  

Also, it's a game, and the level of drama raised over it is shameful.  It's a game!  There are so many things in your life that should be more important.  So your weekend didn't turn out the way you wanted it to.  Watch a movie.  Go on a walk.  Deal with it like an adult instead of spamming insults towards SE and trying to stop others from playing this game.  Fact is that we're just now entering the 2nd week of release of what will probably be the most popular MMO we've seen in a long time, judging by the numbers and the skyrocketing demand.  Also, having played the game plenty, I can say that it's a VERY well made game.  Maybe some people don't like the game personally, but it's still obviously very good and polished.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by Electro057

That said I don't quite understand the people whining and crying and saying they're gunna quit cause they can't play....

I mean they've said they aren't charging us until servers are running at optimal capacity. And they've said they'll be issuing free days as a reward for loyalty right? So...I don't see where the flaccid flapping sphincters are coming from....

I mean it's going to be still here in a couple of days, and weeks, and apparently more accessible. And you'll have not lost anything, in fact you can do productive life things till then...You paid for the CD and the key, you got that, and your subs aren't being charged yet....So what's the deal? Why the complaining...You bought the CD, and it was given...And they intend to give you in earnest your days you've missed that come with the reg key...

Is this that entitlement first world thing I keep hearing about? Must be nice....

Also, they do say that craving and desire make the thing that more sweeter when you finally achieve it. So just wait and it'll go from pretty alright to nerdgasmic?

Lol...um, how about because when you pay for something that you are suppose to get at a certain time, you'd like to get it...lol. 

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• DecimanDeciman Member Posts: 101
    Originally posted by SirBalin

Lol...um, how about because when you pay for something that you are suppose to get at a certain time, you'd like to get it...lol. 

[mod edit]

Im assuming your being sarcastic since they are not charging you any of your 30 day game time from the box sale.

• geldonyetichgeldonyetich Member Posts: 1,340

It's actually quite simple.  We're quitting because the game rebuffs all our attempts to log in, preventing us from doing anything else.  No whining, no crying, it's just a game that refuses to let the 9/10 players to play it right now.

I tried for a couple hours today.  At one point, I hit a login queue, 64th in line.  Score!  I'm in, right?  Well, the next time it updated it gave me an error 1017 anyway and kicked me out.

Basically, queuing is disabled or broken, and Square-Enix is either being elitist bastards by turning it off or they need to fix their system so queuing works again.

• Electro057Electro057 Member UncommonPosts: 683

Yeah but to those saying you paid to play it now....You actually didn't, technically you paid to play when the service is available. You paid for access to the service when it is available, and so far your money hasn't actually been spent on anything but that....And you have that theoretical access, and hell if you're like me and log on to a Japanese server you could have been playing all along. I have :/ 

And they aren't charging your 30 days...So you haven't lost anything financially....And if you realized after the first 10 minutes the servers were congested and got up and did something else....

Yeah I don't see what's been lost or hurt? Other than a bit of SE dignity for not opening up a shit ton of servers then closing and merging half of them a few months in.....

And everyone complaining "My server is empty QQ!~"

NZXT Phantom 410 Case

• Riposte.ThisRiposte.This Member Posts: 192

at least they are not taking away our free game time and for those of us who got in quite a bit, we are getting even more free  time, which is awesome.

Killing dragons is my shit

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Rawrg22

Ill thought out thoughts here.... There's no excuse for lack of proper stress testing before release. These servers would have been in place already had that been done. That's the point.

They've made a few key as well as good decisions after the fact, like holding off on counting play time until their fix is in place. But all of this could have been avoided. These are professionals we're talking about here, not some indies in a garage. They deserve the flak for that decision, and they accept that, why can't you?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• RexNebularRexNebular Member Posts: 259
    People are whining like those Sim City players who couldn't wait two weeks for the game to let them log in and instead wanted to play right away. That entitlement!
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by RexNebular
    People are whining like those Sim City players who couldn't wait two weeks for the game to let them log in and instead wanted to play right away. That entitlement!

There's a certain amount of entitlement in a box purchase. A working product being the biggest on the list.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• thecapitainethecapitaine Member UncommonPosts: 408

Don't agree with someone else's reaction?  Slap a buzzword label on them, trivialize their concerns, hyperbolize their statements, and emphasize how much more reasoned and considered your own contrasting opinion is.  It's the Tao of today's Internet Forums.

Fact is, beneath the whining, people have credible reasons for being disappointed that they can't access the game they paid for (often well in advance) and may not be able to play for an unknown period of time.  How is that shocking to anyone?  SE has done the right thing for its customers by giving free time but that doesn't excuse or mitigate the fact that people who paid to play the game simply can't.   Can't log in, can't create a character.  I've been through some rough launches (SWTOR's insane queues come to mind as the most recent) but never one where people couldn't even create a character!  So, their gripes are legitimate. (Insert random service-related analogy here)

And first world problems?  This is an internet forum dedicated to picking apart the minutia of MMO gaming.  We routinely have discussions about the relative merit of having to pay $15/month for entertainment or how exploitative it is having to pay for luxuries like bag space and fancy mounts in F2P games.  It's safe to say that any notion of putting things in perspective has long, long since fled the scene.

• jybgessjybgess Member Posts: 355
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by RexNebular

There's a certain amount of entitlement in a box purchase. A working product being the biggest on the list.

I 100% agree. Some people are saying this mess is ok because they are not charging us yet. I paid for the game already, it should work.

Originally posted by thecapitaine

Don't agree with someone else's reaction?  Slap a buzzword label on them, trivialize their concerns, hyperbolize their statements, and emphasize how much more reasoned and considered your own contrasting opinion is.  It's the Tao of today's Internet Forums.

Fact is, beneath the whining, people have credible reasons for being disappointed that they can't access the game they paid for (often well in advance) and may not be able to play for an unknown period of time.  How is that shocking to anyone?  SE has done the right thing for its customers by giving free time but that doesn't excuse or mitigate the fact that people who paid to play the game simply can't.   Can't log in, can't create a character.  I've been through some rough launches (SWTOR's insane queues come to mind as the most recent) but never one where people couldn't even create a character!  So, their gripes are legitimate. (Insert random service-related analogy here)

And first world problems?  This is an internet forum dedicated to picking apart the minutia of MMO gaming.  We routinely have discussions about the relative merit of having to pay $15/month for entertainment or how exploitative it is having to pay for luxuries like bag space and fancy mounts in F2P games.  It's safe to say that any notion of putting things in perspective has long, long since fled the scene.

People have unrealistic expectations. Anyone who has played a single mmorpg launch knows its going to be chaos. I even made a thread predicting the chaos 1 hour before early access launch. Just because its a problem in the past doesnt mean its going to get fixed my magical technology in the future. Aging and cancer is a problem in the past and its still a problem now. Any company in their right mind isnt going to put up servers for 3 million people if their initial estimate is for 500k.  Sure technology has made huge strides in this day in age, but not everything is possible. If MMO launches have been a problem for the past decade, chances are this one isn't going to be any different. Phone battery life has been a problem for forever yet my stupid iphone dies after 12 hours of use. Get real.

for those comparing this game to guild wars 2: gw2 development time was 5 years. Development for ffxiv ARR was less than 2 years. its amazing how polished this game is for such a short development time. during beta i was even suspecting that they didnt have any actual content after lvl 20.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Paying for a product and expecting to get that product is entitlement?  America yo.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • thecapitainethecapitaine Member UncommonPosts: 408
    Originally posted by gessekai332
    Originally posted by thecapitaine

People have unrealistic expectations. Anyone who has played a single mmorpg launch knows its going to be chaos. I even made a thread predicting the chaos 1 hour before early access launch. Just because its a problem in the past doesnt mean its going to get fixed my magical technology in the future. Aging and cancer is a problem in the past and its still a problem now. Any company in their right mind isnt going to put up servers for 3 million people if their initial estimate is for 500k.  Sure technology has made huge strides in this day in age, but not everything is possible. If MMO launches have been a problem for the past decade, chances are this one isn't going to be any different. Phone battery life has been a problem for forever yet my stupid iphone dies after 12 hours of use. Get real.

So, using your own analogies people should just shrug their shoulders when it comes to problems that have existed forever and have had no progress made on them?  People who think that it might be nice if that whole cancer thing got cured should just suck it up and get real instead of saying, "Y'know, it would nice if we had some better medicines and treatment for it?"

Anyhow, snark aside, nobody is expecting a flawless launch.  The rough edges are going to be there-- the maintenance, the hotfixes, the outages, all that.  The point is that there are elements of this particular launch that wholly miss the mark and perform even less than our curbed expectations.  In fifty states and a half dozen nations there are people writing scripts, putting rubber bands on controllers, and wearing out their forefingers clicking "0" for hours and have done so for days while still being unable to play.  Having a problem with that doesn't make someone a whiner.  If we really want to get real about it, we'd look to SE's extension of Early Access and offer to extend a week of free game time as a tacit admission that they know what's happening is far beyond the pale for a MMO launch in 2013.