Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVERQUEST NEXT New Gameplay video from PAX 2013

KharishaKharisha Member Posts: 38

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bJNPCGVR7Zs

New gameplay video. Absolutely incredible animations/movement system. Imagine PvP with this stuff and imagine what PVE scenarios they can make.

Also, 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qlzt1e8aJ9w

video about building stuff with lava and etc.

• Players will spawn near landmarks, protected areas which can be teleported to. They’ll act as social hubs and player marketplaces—Georgeson hinted several times at a deep simulated economy during our meeting.
  • Players will then explore to gather resources, and stake a land claim (almost) anywhere on the procedurally-generated continents.
  • Most building resources will need to be purchased from other players or gathered, though there are “super commons,” such as dirt, of which we’ll always have an unlimited supply.
  • Can players stake claims in subterranean areas? “Probably,” says Georgeson.
  • Land claims can be shared with friends for co-op builds.
  • Mounts are in, and they’ll move like the player characters—sliding down steep hills, for instance. We won’t see horses doing parkour though. Boo.
  • Players will be able to move between servers at any time.
  • Friends lists, text chat, voice chat, and SOEmote are all in.
  • A timelapse tool will allow players to record high-speed versions of their builds and publish them directly to YouTube.
  • There will be a guild system, as well as a “co-op buildout” system for temporarily grouping up to work together on large projects without a full guild structure.
  • Landmark characters will be transferable to EverQuest Next when it releases, and playing Landmark will unlock the Adventurer class.

Comments

• HighMarshalHighMarshal Member UncommonPosts: 414
    I am hoping that with characters being transferable to EQNext, they will have a full range of races or at least allow us to do a full race change and customization as part of the transfer.
  • Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401

Hehehe...

It's noticeable in a few of those clips from the first video how they are keeping the angle of the camera focused on the ground. While doing that, hiding the surroundings.

Or, am I just imagining this. :)

EDIT!: Taking a stab at the location in the clip where the wizard spires are located, which also has a desert landscape just before a vegetation area. I think this is South Ro where the ancient cyclop spawns.

• BidwoodBidwood Member Posts: 554
    Looks amazing!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to be fighting another player with this type of movement...  reminds me a bit of "acrobatics" in DCUO, but the positional fighting will be better. =D
  • AyulinAyulin Member Posts: 334

So everyone will be doing Parkour in EQN?

Hmmm

• mustang2750mustang2750 Member UncommonPosts: 34
    Ugh that was dissappointing.  Looked very cartoony and arcadelike. 
  • meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Originally posted by Ayulin

So everyone will be doing Parkour in EQN?

Hmmm

And we thought bunny-hopping in WoW was bad...

• joe2721joe2721 Member UncommonPosts: 171

I love it!

Oh and the lava build out the charaction looks like an elf

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609

Am I wrong here, but wasn't that video of the parkour movement system released (as part of a longer video) at SOE Live?   Maybe it has been cleaned up a tiny bit, but it seems like I've seen this exact demo before.

And how is she able to turn left in mid-jump?  Physics doesn't allow changes in vectors in mid-flight without an expenditure of energy.   But she clearly jumps in one direction, moves a distance, rotates in the air and moves off in the new direction before landing.   Facing has no bearing on a vector.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• HighMarshalHighMarshal Member UncommonPosts: 414
    Originally posted by mustang2750
    Ugh that was dissappointing.  Looked very cartoony and arcadelike. 

Good thing I like cartoons and arcades.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720
    Hmm the movement looks amaxing. So does the landscape actually, and it all seems pretty smooth.

Of course, the bunnyhopping yards from wow will find something to be annoying with, like constant backflips or something....

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• SelfDestructProSelfDestructPro Member UncommonPosts: 323
    I have to say I have a very strict graphics and gameplay taste.  Anything cartoony, I generally hate.  Everything must be moving to a more realistic style.  That's just how I am.  But, I have not been more excited about an MMORPG than when I was reading about my first MMORPG Star Wars Galaixes in a magazine when it was still in development.  I'm even more excited about Everquest Next.  It is unlike anything I've seen before.  And it's far more advanced than I could have imagined at this time in MMORPG history.
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180

Reason why parkour is so cool IRL is that only a few people can do it on a top level and it has this "wow" effect for most of people.

This video indeed looks cool, but once you'll see 20+ people jumping around the town like that, well .. :)

Looking forward to see some awesome parkour parks made in Landmark tho.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

I think calling the first one a "game play" video is stretching a lot.

Though I have no doubt people here will use it to say it's bona fide  proof that their negative and positive opinions of what EQN is going to be.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Not much of gameplay really, just a movement demo.

All those fancy flips, spins, and tumbles are going to get old fast.  I think they should be toned down to "occasionally" go off.  For instance WoW PC's didn't always flip / spin (Night Elves wasn't it?) ... just 1 in 10 chance or whatever.

I guess the console crowd will go gaga over stuff like this though.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367
    What's Laura Croft doing here?

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Understandable that's it's still alpha, but hoping they are going to polish up the impact the character has when landing on the ground or merly running. Just didn't see the character connecting with the ground.
  • ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802
    HAHA so they changed her jump? Prolly a good thing since it was a direct steal from Wildstar. Also.. that isnt gameplay, that is a video showing really silly jumping and flying through the air with the greatest of ease. That daring young "woman" on the flying trapeze...

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Looks like it will really appeal to the skateboarding game generation.

<--too old for this chit.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626
    Originally posted by Mendel

And how is she able to turn left in mid-jump?  Physics doesn't allow changes in vectors in mid-flight without an expenditure of energy.   But she clearly jumps in one direction, moves a distance, rotates in the air and moves off in the new direction before landing.   Facing has no bearing on a vector.

It's unrealistic alright, but I for one love this sort of unrealistic stuff in games.

Quake let you do U-turns in the air so that you could actually jump out of a window and into an adjacent one... and it was fun! :) Added a whole other dimension to gameplay. Of course, you have to find a balance with all this stuff so that players will go with it and not go "arrrgh, that's stupid!".

About the video, the parkour itself doesn't bug me that much (though too much of it probably will), but I'd rather it was something we, the player, did instead of the characters themselves.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    I think it looks pretty cool, but ultimately it's going to be one of those things you normalize in your brain after a while, and end up not caring about much.  If they make combat exciting with smooth transitions and lots of variations along with this movement system, that could help bring the whole thing together and make it more relevant. 

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Well, for me EQN looks worse with every reveal. Oh well, luckily there are good single player games and maybe even ESO is worth checking out if those Daoc failures won't completely ruin it.
  • nisraknisrak Member Posts: 70

I agree some of the movements are a little bit over-the-top (the first double-jump is kinda nuts).  However, I definitely think it will be a lot cooler than the usual bunny-hopping that everyone would always be doing in WoW (or the 2-inch jump in EQ).  Just imagine a group of 6 people jumping over a lava flow doing all different kinds of moves!

Also, we need to remember that this is just 1 race.. I'm sure all the different races will have totally different running/jumping styles and animations.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Looks ok but these guys are trying to re-invent the mmo which is a recipe for disaster. 
  • sonicbrewsonicbrew Member UncommonPosts: 515
    Originally posted by Icewhite

Looks like it will really appeal to the skateboarding game generation.

<--too old for this chit.

Sadly I agree. Well at least there's Destiny....

“Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.” ~ Italian proverb   

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by Mendel

So you want to go down the laws of physics when it comes to a "game" but it's perfectly acceptable to not cut someone's arm, leg, head off hen struck by a sword, or shoot fireballs out of your fingers, or ice comets outta thin air?  Not to mention the fact that there will be dragons when those never existed and are nothing more than over active imagination of some uneducated dark age farmer uncovering a T-Rex or Triceratops skull.  It is a GAME you know.  It's not supposed to be real.  If you want realism, try going outside, I promise you that physics will apply there.

And yes, there is sarcasm intended there.