Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Is PVP Space Combat Coming to SWTOR?

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Just saying to those stating it's on rails, look again at about the halfway mark, a ship makes a pretty wide turn of about 180 degrees following a target, can't do that in a typical rail shooter.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    Took them a while to release this content. I hope its a large space with a variety of areas. It would be foolish to develop and balanve content as easy as it is for twotch based combat with a few abilities, withput adding a lot of different environments.

I am glad thry have something thats done with since it will mean soon enpugh we get pazaak and swoop racing.

The game had great potential from what it released at launch but its taken them a while to add new content.

Things they can add-
    -Open world pvp with locations, player built content
    -Events that give a bolster system and allows ppl to explore and lvl any way they like. Think dunamic events. This can be part of their expansion, amd unstead pf lvling on only one new planet, you can do the event on any other planet with any other lvled player, and with a bolster can ppen world pvp interesting.
    -pazaak, swoop racing, mini games
    -day/night cycle
    -more npc movement, and an over haul of the engine.
    -class /companion stories
    -player bounties
    - guild mechanics/open world pvp
    -player housing, ship decoration
    -npc alignment and affecting the world

I hope to see all this in the game eventually. How long though? Thats the disappointment in that it might take too long.

In that case they need to focus on class stories. That is what will make ppl come back.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• UkiahUkiah Member Posts: 273
    Too little, too late.
  • Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158
    Originally posted by Greyhawk4x4
    Looks like it is still on rails to me.....another feeble attempt.

Really? To me it looks like the player is able to move about freely. 

Can't see any confirmation it's PvP however I did notice they wasn't flying the players personal starship. 

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Wasn't Star Wars Battlefront an EA game?  Why didn't they incorporate their space combat like that into SWTOR?

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    To rodingo. Ea and bw are not practical. There are people that have books smarts but no sense of practicity, or any intuition on how to develop certain content. They might be able to create content but its not normally under the best circumstances.

For example sharing resources such as other games, but also using other engines available made in bouse with ea that are better than the hero engine.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476
    If they do space pvp combat I would come back to this game for sure to give them a try, tbh space combat was the most fun for me in this game, everything else was boring to me.

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    Its hard to tell what that is...
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by rodingo
    Wasn't Star Wars Battlefront an EA game?  Why didn't they incorporate their space combat like that into SWTOR?

Because of corporate greed and EA pushing Bioware to make the game as fast as humanly possible.

Smile

• DinshuDinshu Member Posts: 4
    PVP on rails space shooter is what this will be. two teams of 4 or 5 will fly around on rails shooting npc ships and player ships when they get close with each trying to take out a capitol ship.
  • zonzaizonzai Member Posts: 358
    Dudes and dudettes!  [mod edit] They removed the rails... I might actually have a reason to play this game now. 
  • dorugudorugu Member UncommonPosts: 184

wuldnt surprise me if itll end up in theyr cash shop like many other things :)

and i doubt theyll remove th onrail part of space thtll cost money n yu kno ow "poor" they r :)

ill believe it wen ic it in playable form yu can claim ow much yu want w a rollin demo it doesnt prove anything

• uller30uller30 Member UncommonPosts: 125
    Hahahahahahahaha
    Fuck
    When will they make it a reall F2P
  • DengarDengar Member UncommonPosts: 34
    Wide turns are possible in rail shooters, just not often. A buddy of mine and I keep watching that part and we're both leaning towards rails, as much as we want it to be free form. If they wanted people to know it was free form, they'd show a U-turn, wouldn't they?
  • thecapitainethecapitaine Member UncommonPosts: 408
    PvP in an on-rails space shooter makes zero sense and Bioware knows this.  There's every reason to think it will be like a warfront, only in orbit with a bunch of ships flying around pew-pewing at each other.
  • MavinKarathMavinKarath Member Posts: 1

Its free flight according to some data mining of PTS anyway.

http://pastebin.com/Bddt3r2G

tidbit below...

1. abl.space_combat.freeflight.blaster_imperial_heavy

2. abl.space_combat.freeflight.blaster_imperial_heavy/3/0

3. abl.space_combat.freeflight.blaster_imperial_heavy/3/1

4. abl.space_combat.freeflight.blaster_imperial_light

5. abl.space_combat.freeflight.blaster_imperial_light/3/0

6. abl.space_combat.freeflight.blaster_imperial_light/3/1

7. abl.space_combat.freeflight.blaster_imperial_medium

8. abl.space_combat.freeflight.blaster_imperial_medium/3/0

9. abl.space_combat.freeflight.blaster_imperial_medium/3/1

When the lead producer was interviewed a few months ago his comment on the SSSP was that "we listened to player feedback shortly have launch and its (SSSP) purpose is to answer the biggest widespread complaint".

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

That looked much more like he was turning his craft and moving in that turned direction instead of following a pre-determined path.

Those are also NOT class ships.  Which leads me to believe we could see different fighters/upgrades/etc.  This could even be giant battles with NPCs AND players in space.

That would be a GIANT step in the direction of XvT.  So long as we can go in the cockpit and do the stuff (targets/shields/etc) like we could in thatgame!

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Braindome

Wow. EA actually putting money into marketing something after it has already been launched instead of letting it slowly bleed to death, who would have thought *looks around to see if pigs are flying*.

They seem to be actually trying for once and listening to what fans have been begging for since launch. Even if it ends up sucking at least EA is trying for once. I can't believe I just said something positive about EA *goes to wash mouth out with soap*.

Actually it has been in the works since before launch. EA / BW have been saying this for years. The game still has had no new content done after launch as far as I am aware - just stuff they did before launch which eventually gets put in.

• pwainpwain Member UncommonPosts: 115
    free flight ? Something like xwing vs tie figher ? I would come back for it.
  • GalidenGaliden Member Posts: 12
    Thanks EA, but my money is on Star Citizen.
  • AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823
    Arena space combat. Great more gear grinding. The pvp gear grind is bad enough , now you'll throw in arena space pvp gear grinding. At least there's a space component to a Star wars game, small wonder. I really don't think this is what people had in mind. 

• JasonJJasonJ Member Posts: 395
    This will still not take the "meh" out of SWTOR.
  • orionblackorionblack Member UncommonPosts: 493
    Originally posted by Asamof
    Originally posted by Sleepyfish
    Thats nice, now all they have to do is make the actual game feel like Star Wars and not the RAID boss whack a mole nonsense it is now. There is just so much about the game in its current state that is not very Star Wars ish that if someone is not currently developing another Star Wars mmo for 2017 or so, they should be. 

It's people like you who convinced SOE to destroy star wars galaxies. You just need to get over the fact that no MMO will ever 'feel' like star wars, and they shouldn't even attempt it. Those 'ur da hero' illusions are best left to single player games.

Which is what exactly KotR should have been....a single player game, with multiplayer options.

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    To little to late.....
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• really surprised to see any video of the space project. wasnt expecting anything to see for sometime. cant wait