Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Guild Wars 2: The Looking For Group Tool Revealed

13»

Comments

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

lolwot ?

there was no LFG tool in GW2 haha ?

• blohm86blohm86 Member Posts: 43

What is this? MMORPG.com you cant be serious about this article? There is NO point in wasting space in something so basic as a LFG tool? The mere reaction is rather "How can they be so...hypocritical?", and now try to manipulate the crowd into thinking that this is actually a fancy dancy new service that goes into their twisted and faulty (lacking) vision on how group play is supposed to be?

GW2 is falling apart, their revenue model is obviusly not working so they need to do what Rome did 3000 years ago; conquer more players by becoming more mainstream. Hilarius

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

This whole article is written wrong. Instead of "Hey! Look at this new feature!" It should have been "Sorry for the delay, but we finally fixed it"

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Cool beans.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• LokomotivLokomotiv Member Posts: 106
    Almost one year after and now i will pick up the game again... still stuck in last dungeon of personal story.
  • HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Wizardry

WOW and a big WOW.

Is this not a hypocritical move by Arena Net after they made claims there game was removing the LFG with their brilliant game design?They said gamer's did not want to look for group,they wanted to jump right in and play,that was THEIR words.Now this tool makes it sound like lfg is needed meaning their whole pr speech was just bs?

They said that is why they removed the Trinity,players don't want to wait to setup groups.Well then a LFG tool should not be needed then right,otherwise it should have been there on launch and if your going to need it anyhow,might as well keep the Trinity system,since your design failed anyhow.

I want to make it clear,i have no problem with a lfg tool,i think it is a great idea,i have a problem with all the BS PR spins Arena NEt pull off,basically lying to the gamer's.

I'm just going to copy/paste most of a post I wrote below yours in response to someone else, because I actually talked about just this.

...The reason GW2 didn't launch with a LFG tool was not because they couldn't design a good tool or because they didn't have enough development time or resources for the project.  It was because a lot of what most dungeon finder tools do went against Anet's philosophy for GW2, a philosophy they clearly still maintain.  (I can't find the pre-beta articles that talked about this because, well, they're all gone, but I distinctly recall one of their many blog posts addressing their stance toward a dungeon finder.)

What Anet didn't like about most dungeon finder tools was how they created a highly impersonal environment where players, while not exactly discouraged from communicating, weren't encouraged to communicate, bond, or even talk at all.  Not only that, but, with most LFG tools, the party usually instantly disbands after the dungeon is over, abruptly ceasing whatever social experience the players may have mustered.  When these players are pulled from multiple servers (like most LFG tools), and when cross-server chat is not enabled (like most MMOs), and when players across multiple servers aren't allowed to join each other at will (like most MMOs), it becomes all but impossible to actually meet new players and form those MMO friendships grouping is supposed to encourage in the grouping portion of the game through the dungeon finder tool.  

Additionally, most LFG tools destroy all sense of world immersion by instantly teleporting players to the mysterious dungeon location, which might as well not even exist in the world at all.

Luckily, it looks like Anet as stayed true to their philosophy (one that I have also been quite vocal about since WoW first introduced their dungeon finder in WotlK and I saw the damage it did), and GW2 will suffer from none of these problems!

For one, GW2 already inherently has social systems that allow players to play and talk with each other across servers at any time.  So have no fear there, you can totally make friends with anyone you group with.  But will GW2's dungeon finder be as impersonal as most other such systems?  No, because it doesn't automatically do all the work for you.  Players will see a list of groups available and have to either manually /join or verbally request an invite the traditional way.  From there, once the party is fully put together, players still have to roll out to the dungeon (and give the go ahead to do so in party chat).  The ice is broken from the beginning.  People are talking.  Seriously, don't underestimate the importance of getting players to say those first few words. World continuity is preserved; the dungeon has a place in the world.  

As far as I can see, this is the best of both worlds.  Players who hate having to stand around shouting for groups won't have to. This is 100% as convenient as any other LFG tool at finding groups.  Players like myself who traditionally hate LFG tools also don't have to worry about most, if not all, of the negative side effects that typically come with such tools; most importantly, it encourages a social experience (although if you don't want to talk, you don't have to; you can never be forced to talk) and promotes world continuity.   

• TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999
    About damn time! Though its not like we didn't already have websites such as gw2lfg dedicated to this already! :-P  But yeah, glad they finally implimented this.

imageimage

• jcsadonejcsadone Member UncommonPosts: 60

After all this burned out from so called Living "Story", I just can't care anymore. Too little, to late, when rest of the game madly spins in wrong direction.

Shame - it was really great shoot into MMO genere, till it started to shoot blanks.