Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: Review in Progress 1

Comments

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    FRONTLINE needs to be introduced and a serious alternative to DAOC  for me to consider the game.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I don't understand what the thought process is at these companies.  Surely they knew how many copies of the game they sold or had a fairly good idea.  Surely they had an idea of the number of players a server could comfortably hold.  This isn't calculus, it is basic math.  Why after a decade of terrible MMO launches do we still continue to see the same crap happening?
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336
    I have the Impression, that many fans of FF do not understand, what this is about. Imagine somebody, who has no idea about this game, but is interested. He or she can come to this site and get good information - currently there are too many issues. Too many players cannot Login. I am happy that this site is independent from the publishers and just tells us the truth.

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

• tatersryummytatersryummy Member Posts: 3

The game is fun, but server management and the whole registration process is a nightmare.

I like to have physical copies of the games I buy and since I ordered from amazon it looks like I'll be waiting until next week some time before i can log in again. The code I registered when purchasing the game apparently only came with a two day grace period after EA.  Now my wife and I are stuck waiting for our boxes to arrive by mail. Why not give a reasonable amount of leeway to those who've supported your game.

Also, many of our group of friends had the misfortune of getting the PS3 version. After a few days sorting out the issues with Sony and SE they finally were able to log in only to discover that the server we all had decided to get on was being lock out for any new characters.

Although, I can see why since the server has been basically full and unable to get into unless you are lucky enough to sneak in during server down times. For the entire first part of the week logging into the server my main char is on has resulted in a 1017 error. Most of our little group of friends has ditched our mains and created characters on a EU server, but that is a sorry fix for a game that is supposedly "reborn".

This game does have potential, but to have all these issues years after the original launch is pathetic. It would be nice to have something stable to play for a year or two. I thought this may be that game, however it is looking less and less likely.

• Yavin_PrimeYavin_Prime Member Posts: 233

I've tryed it on both PS3 and PC. I ended up buying it on PC (just an old habit I'm better with a keyboard). Yes it's super frustrating that it's hard to log in at times. With that said I can say that yesterday I had no issues at all logging on. I know that SE is bringing in more servers some time next week to help create more room for players. They were boasting that the game was selling so much and that the servers were so full that they had to suspend digital sales.

I will say that FFXIV:RR is a very solid game. I do see it lasting half a decade or more in the MMO-space. What I don't see lasting is the subscription fee. More and more it's becoming an unpopular model for doing business. Overall though the game is fun and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. It has a lot of polish and tons of things to do as you work your way towards end game. At the moment I would recommend it but for anyone coming in now I'd say give it a week until they get those new servers up. I'd review the game but I think it's far to soon to slap a rating on the game.

• RalstlinRalstlin Member UncommonPosts: 234
    delete the 5.1 scroe until Rob make a new one, people is confused by that. Place an 0.0 until review or something.
  • CalamarCalamar Member Posts: 116

Yep, the launch is on the disaster side by now. He is right on that.

But this shouldn't be a Review in progress article, this is just a rant on the state of the servers. The title should be changed Imo.

This  "review" is as professional as  giving the Godfather a 1 because the cinema sits were dirty. 

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by Ralstlin
    delete the 5.1 scroe until Rob make a new one, people is confused by that. Place an 0.0 until review or something.

I think a 5.1 score for the scope of the review so far is pretty fair.  Love or Hate the game it's hard to argue that this games launch has been very poorly handled all around.

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854

What do i think?

I called in vacation for this week after playing during early access and have been playing well over 10 hours a day since.

Need i say more? lol

I could say i had the foresight as in "saw this coming a mile away" and that my being able to log in effortlessly early morning and playing trouble free all day till night, but no that wasn't entirely the case. Truth be told i just needed a break from work and this seemed like cool game to chill out with, little did i know it was going to turn into full on obsession. lol

Been a staycation to remember I'll tell you that, one for the books.

My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • PorkNailsPorkNails Member UncommonPosts: 65

There are a couple issues that i did not have, i only needed to use 1 code in 1 website and that was it. 

And it just takes 1 minute for the servers to open a slot for you (even when it says there is a queue), this is after you have a character.

I'm in one of the servers that isnt so popular arround the web and still there are LOTS of ppl. I dont remember seeing this amount of ppl arround  in tera or aion (i know they  have channels).

It wasnt the most smooth launch, but all this problems will be solved, as they are mostly physical limitations and not ingame bugs.

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    Originally posted by udon
    Originally posted by Ralstlin

I think a 5.1 score for the scope of the review so far is pretty fair.  Love or Hate the game it's hard to argue that this games launch has been very poorly handled all around.

Not for everyone, only people trying to get on during prime time (which is a very high percentage i'm sure) but in Square's defence, if you launched a bomb, revamped it, relaunched it a few years later, would you honestly put allot of effort and resources into systems for a "just in case we become the most popular mmo on the planet scenario".

No,  no one in their right mind would.

So yeah they were caught off guard, the game rocks. Trust me this game is worth the wait for anyone who has been having trouble getting in.

Even WoW, (i was there) they turned everything completely off  for 2 to 3 days and even then they still couldn't get things right, shite was unstable, servers were offline more than they were online for weeks on end. It was ludicrous. That was a disgrace.

Here were talking a little over a week and sounds like they'll have things well under control.

Had the wow fiasco happened to me this week yea id be pretty PO'd right now, tis my vacation, but that was not the case at all, super stable, extremely solid, servers always up and online. Very polished.

Yes, i was logging in off prime time and wouldn't dare log out until i was done for the day. In the whole week of playing well over 10 hours day, i had one crash and that was after a 14 hour session.

I for one couldn't be more pleased with their decisions to cap things and avoid things being completely unstable and crashing all over the place. It would have literally ruined my staycation. lol

My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • SmoeySmoey Member UncommonPosts: 599
    Not had a problem logging in on Odin for the last 5 days. Having a blast.

(\ /) ?
    ( . .)
    c('')('')

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861

1) Not a real review

2) Terrible Acroynym

Does the mmorpg.com staff have a vendetta against this game? i also dont see nearly as much moderation on the forums compared to when gw2 launched.  

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• RobbgobbRobbgobb Member UncommonPosts: 674

I am sorry to see this happen. Luckily most times I have not had an issue. I was unable to create a new character for a while and was not able to log into that hero when I tried to play the next day. I am playing on JP worlds because NA/EU is full. 

I just did a marathon 14 hour play yesterday where I did take breaks and did not log off. A couple of those were longer than 30 minutes but none an hour or more. I would have been sad to see me logged out but I accept it as I do in other games. I really have enjoyed the game though. The main story does bother me a bit but I will live with it. The issues with worlds makes no sense to me and I have to say that I still have had less problems than when WoW released.

• vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Vivasvan
    Does it have raiding with trinity or can anyone point out a review or game mechanics page.

Are u able to be a tank etc

Yes, they have the holiest of the holy trinity :)

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    this weekend will probly be a bit rough to log into please bare with it and i got modded for laughing at someones comment and saying the review sucks thats awsome
  • RotluchsRotluchs Member UncommonPosts: 7

Bah... Tried to buy digital download and SE has it turned off lol.  I could go buy it on PS3 but id really like to play it on PC vs PS3. 

Any PS3'ers out there?  How is an MMO on console?  I have my doubts but I dunno....

• DrailliDrailli Member CommonPosts: 34

The server issues and their lack of anything more than a stock, woops email has pretty much put me into the not subbing for this game group. I'll play, if I can,  until my time runs out, but beyond that this games total lack of actual playablility and their beta's being more marketing and less actual work to improve the game, has me done with this title and SE pretty much for good. Personally I don't care what people say about give them time, they ran out of time when they proved they didn't care even back in open beta when I submitted error reports and they didn't respond to my support ticket for three days.

I've give SE way to much credit and allowed them to many second chances as is. Games like this honestly need a refund button built in so that developers that screw up this much can actually be forced to watch their profits disappear and their companies go bankrupt, yep at this point I want SE to just go away and never return.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Originally posted by Rotluchs

Any PS3'ers out there?  How is an MMO on console?  I have my doubts but I dunno....

I am playing on PS3 and it is indeed a blast to play, no technical issues so far. Gameplay is very good. Using a USB Keyboard and Gamepad for the game.

I think Robert may have sadly rage quit at the loading screen as he does not describe any gameplay. Stick with it Robert, the game is a good one if you can sort out your technical problems, if PC an issue review on PS3, it might be better experience for you.

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

Sorry mmorpg.com but what you do is bad journalism. You keep the old rating of 5.1 up in big letters beside a review for a new FFXIV. 1.0 is dead. I have been there and it has nothing to do with ARR.

So people who do not spend much time on this site just looking for a review just see FFXIV, rating 5.1, bad launch, must be crap.

Is it eally that hard to reset till your review is finished ? Disappointing to say the least.

• VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510

Nice to see someone slamming SQEN for both the crappy launch (it's far worse than the norm and this excuse is wearing thin anyways) and their horrific preorder system.  if you bought from them it was even worse requiring multiple accounts, hopping around between sites, yet another site for the 3rd party that charges your card (and your code emails getting flagged as junk due to just how cheeseball that 3rd party is).  Once the login/server issues are resolved nobody will even remember they happened til the next big game has yet another crappy release and fanboys justify it with the "well it was worse in FFXIV!!!1!!!" nonsense.

I would like to see equal objectivity and criticsm levied upon the game itself.  It's new.  It's fun (for now).  It's pretty in a way - and simplistic in a way.  The game does some stuff in interesting ways.  Ultimately it's a fairly stripped down post WoW clone and the question is, will this game have anything different to justify the sub and keep players around a while or is it going to be SWTOR 2.0 (huge release, huge droppoff, eventually the target of ridicule - MMORPG players are fanboys one day and venomous trolls the next sometimes).

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129

I really want to play this game with my wife......but since there is no CS support for the past week or two, I can not recover my original collectors edition that I payed $70 for 3 years ago...and I won't buy the game again

Tried resetting password..all that...seems some one (not me) changed my birthdate....weird huh?

Now my help tickets are being replied as "sorry we must delete your ticket since we could not get to it in 48 hours" and I call the non-free phone support and it's busy.

I am glad for all you who are in playing...just don't log out I guess

• PapamacPapamac Member UncommonPosts: 162

Review In Progress?  Really?

So all you have to do to be a reviewer on MMORPG.COM is take a couple of lousy screen shots and then bitch about the server issues?

Really?

• TenkouseiTenkousei Member UncommonPosts: 114

This article is anything but a review. It's a gigantic whine about how someone got the short end of the stick and keeps facing god knows what errors.

The only day i had issues with Error 1017 was on launch day (the 27th). For the rest my queues have been limited to 10 - 20 people at most. I haven't had any other error whatsoever.

For reference, i'm playing on a Euro server, logging in the early afternoon.

It's kinda unfair to stick the "review" tag on an article when you can't even get past the login-screen and got frustrated.

I consider myself very lucky though.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Tenkousei

This article is anything but a review. It's a gigantic whine about how someone got the short end of the stick and keeps facing god knows what errors.

The only day i had issues with Error 1017 was on launch day (the 27th). For the rest my queues have been limited to 10 - 20 people at most. I haven't had any other error whatsoever.

For reference, i'm playing on a Euro server, logging in the early afternoon.

It's kinda unfair to stick the "review" tag on an article when you can't even get past the login-screen and got frustrated.

I consider myself very lucky though.

Not really a review is the recounting and opinions of the reviewers experience with a game,if the game is nothing but a login screen and errors for days on end then that is certainly a valid review.

But it's also a review in progress once the login issues and errors are solved you will get a review of the games content too.