Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: Review in Progress 1

Comments

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Great game, terrible review (this is the second review from mmorpg.com about the launch issues!), horrible launch (we get it already)

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Well its seems we'll be getting a fair review and that's what I expect.
  • NaowutNaowut Member UncommonPosts: 663

I've been playing 24/7 during the early access period and I never got an error and was always placed in a que that FYI never lasted longer than 5 minutes.

I know that just because I didnt have the problems many other players did have them.

But do you know that even though you didnt get any problems in other releases many other players did get them? 

For this reason I find it rediculous to spend a whole article on errors you got, plus the obvious fact that youre reviewing a game and not Square Enix or the hosting company.

Very bad review.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Grakulen
    5.1 is the old score. The new score won't go up until the RIP series is done. It has not been assigned a new score.

It's confusing to anyone who looks for the ratings. It's not accurate and there is a huge discrepency between the 2 scores. Honestly, it makes MMORPG's score look flawed......because it is. It's not the game that was rated.

I get that it's a relaunch of the old game, but that game doesn't exist anymore the rating is not based on anything that can be judged or evaluated presently.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    Originally posted by Naowut

I've been playing 24/7 during the early access period and I never got an error and was always placed in a que that FYI never lasted longer than 5 minutes.

I know that just because I didnt have the problems many other players did have them.

But do you know that even though you didnt get any problems in other releases many other players did get them? 

For this reason I find it rediculous to spend a whole article on errors you got, plus the obvious fact that youre reviewing a game and not Square Enix or the hosting company.

Very bad review.

When a player purchases a game he expects it to work. The game failed to accommodate players, and thus received a bad review.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by Naowut

Very bad review.

If you followed the reviewers Twitter account, you would see that the majority of his experience with FFXIV:ARR was 1017 and trying to actually play. It's great that you didn't have any issues, but a lot of us have been having nothing but issues.

Also, the review isn't even finished. Let's wait and see how the rest of the review in progress. But I really hope for SE the game actually works by the time Grakulen finishes.

• ChipOreoChipOreo Member UncommonPosts: 22

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/73680?p=1111872#post1111872

The reason why the servers suck are on the second paragraph: [mod edit] he basically said:

"Our first game sucked ass, we didn't expect these many people wanting to play! we're very pleased"

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367
    Originally posted by Grakulen
    5.1 is the old score. The new score won't go up until the RIP series is done. It has not been assigned a new score.

In fairness, this is an entirely new game. The score should be stricken, since you cannot play 1.0 anymore anyways, or relegated to a different game entry. 1.0 and 2.0 should be listed as two, separate games...but they really aren't the same game.

It is misleading and does this site no credit.

As for the RIP....you barely even mentioned your gameplay experience. Sure, Lauch has been a hot mess...but didn't you guys already mention that in detail in another article? So you rehash it again? We already know they have problems, but clearly you got in to the game.

Other than a very brief mention of the screenshots...give us details...actually review...the game?? first 5 levels? what character did you roll, class? race? character creation? Nothing about your review thus far has anything to do with the actual game itself.

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• HurricanePipHurricanePip Member Posts: 167

I hate authors that makes excuses for software companies' day one issues.  Maybe the issues get resolved, maybe they don't.  Review the game as is and edit the review later if the issues get resolved.

For example, at least Polygon docked Sim City, although reviewing the pre-release game despite knowing that day issues could crop up was a poor decision.  Their 10/10 for D3 still remains one of the worst examples of internet game reviews that I've ever seen though.

Consumer need to expect more.  Poor game launches should be punished not only by the consumer though, but by honest and objective reviews.  Reviewers who cater to developers for access like X-Play did back in the day hurt the industry and consumer.

If you don't worry about it, it's not a problem.

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367
    Originally posted by Chips.Ahoy

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/73680?p=1111872#post1111872

The reason why the servers suck are on the second paragraph: [mod edit], he basically said:

"Our first game sucked ass, we didn't expect these many people wanting to play! we're very pleased"

Given what a disaster 1.0 was commercially, I think anyone of u would have been just as conservative if it was up to us. I am glad its in demand, they did a great job. 

To tell the truth...i am really surprised...surprised that they did as great a job with it as they did (given how bad 1.0 was) and that so many people are clamoring to play.

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,488
    Originally posted by kelarcanus
    [mod edit]

Just because SE has apologized doesn't mean that the launch behavior/performance is excusable in the slightest. Beta 4 indicated some of the issues and SE failed to react strongly enough. And actually, I haven't played a MMO in the last 7 or 8 years that has had such a rough launch. If MMORPG.com had failed to warn readers of the challenges at this time (especially in a Review In Progress series), I would have found it reprehensible. I believe that this will not matter so much in 6 months but right now this is (and should be) a large factor in deciding whether to purchase or not.  As as cool as the game is, if you can't play, how can you enjoy that coolness?

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    sam the launch sint really rough the servers are full but stable the only issues is not everyone can play thats all se will make up for it with free days so you wont lose out on any of your time
  • Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 627
    Originally posted by pokolo
    is this game seamless open world or it have loadings all over the place?

Unfortunately, zone loading screens and as of late have been somewhat slow, I assume due to data center issues.

I've had my frustrations with logging in, it seems better over the last few days. Once I'm in it seems rock steady for me in Midwest NA.

• RandomCasualtyRandomCasualty Member UncommonPosts: 327
    Originally posted by Iadien
    Originally posted by kelarcanus
    [mod edit]

1. no proper queue system.

2. not enough servers (they are adding more next week). SE should also add free transfers to these new servers for people that want to move.

3. no auto-kick for afk players.

Re # 2, I was thinking that as well when I was so desperate I have a couple of characters on different servers. I'm just wondering how many webpages one will need to chip through to make a transfer happen! Everything SE is so bloody complicated in regards to Account Management

tara mg station is the only thing oyu need for account maangmeant now except theres seems to be people that like making a new service account ( i swear it warns you before you do it people need to learn to read)
  • gavannicgavannic Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Im having fun playing the game. Reason i think the servers are always full is because there isnt afk kick. I was playing and went to work and came home and i was still logged in. I think they need to fix that and it will help with ques.
  • BookahBookah Member UncommonPosts: 260

I know you guys don't throw high ratings around like candy (I have come to trust your rating system) but I'm surprised @ the relatively low score of 5.1

My wife and I have had more fun playing FF14 than we have had in an MMO in many years, ARR has a old school feel that I cant get enough of, the story and cut scenes are awesome & its really nice to revisit the trinity after some heavy GW2 playing.

Once you log in the game is solid with almost no bugs, and EXTREMELY well polished. Hopefully it gets easier to log in this week.

(I know its a review in progress, I guess I'm trying to say I believe this game will ultimately score higher when the kinks are worked out, thus far I'm so happy with the leveling experience I must commend S.E. on there fine work in this area!)

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372

The old rating deserves to stay until the review is done because of the giant turd it was the first time around.  I think the original 5.1 score was pretty generous considering.. :P

5.1 is an old score
  • AyulinAyulin Member Posts: 334

Very fair and accurate review so far.

For the people complaining that "they spend too much time on the issues"... Well, my thinking is that the reviewer is going to report their experiences. The experience for them seems to have been fighting with the 90000, 1015 and 3102 error codes, while attempting to get past the character selection. Which is pretty darn accurate, considering it's the same experience thousands of others have had as well.

They're spot on in pointing out how they failed to implement an inactive AFK kick function. When everyone playing the game has paid for it (even those 1.0 customers who got the download free), every one of them has a fair right to expect they should be able to play. To stay AFK to "hold your spot" even if you're not actually there for 8+ hours is inexcusable. To make matters worse, SE's response to the community's requests to implement such a system was "we'll consider it after the fixes next week". So, in other words, "when such a thing is - ostensibly - no longer necessary... we'll think about implementing it". Awesome. Wonderful thought process there. So in the meantime, thousands of people - myself included - are unable to play a game they paid for.

That's been my experience so far. I went 5 days being unable to play at all (starting in EA and into launch). That frustration, on top of the selfish attitudes of the AFK'ers, on top of SE's deliberate inaction to deal with them, on top of the horrible community that has emerged around this game, through beta and now into launch... I decided to walk away, at least for the foreseeable future.

I've been in some bad launches. This has been the worst.

I've seen some awful communities around a MMO (Darkfall 1.0 and Shadowbane come to mind). Many of the people I've encountered and had the displeasure of dealing with make those people look like saints.

The worst of it is when I was called a "whiney, entitled baby", and told to leave because "they didn't want crybabies like me in their game"... for complaining about not being able to log into the game for (at that point) 4 days. It gets better... I would later find out the person saying that to me was one of the AFK'ers hogging up available slots while they went to work/bed... Their excuse? So they wouldn't have to deal with the very same issue they were bashing me (and others) for complaining about.  And they called me "entitled". Hypocrisy at its most blatant... and ARR's community is filled with them.

So.. I'm gonna come back at some point down the line and see how this game is doing, and maybe give it another go. For now, I'm keeping my distance.

ARR is a solid game, tarnished by a horrible launch, inadequate response by SE, and a community overrun by abhorrent hypocrites.

• TaotavTaotav Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Grind fest
  • IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    No problems here playing on a NA server so far using PS3. I am having a blast, but if issues are encountered you can contact customer support and be patient, at launch XIV has a very large player base playing the game, often all trying to get into the fun at about the same time.
  • ArenthasArenthas Member Posts: 85

This is not a review.

This is a rant about the login screen. 

• LegendtriggerLegendtrigger Member Posts: 39
    only had few login problems first 2 days, this week has been very smooth, square is doing a good job.
  • BootezBootez Member UncommonPosts: 72
    I was hoping to read a review. Thanks for wasting my time complaining. I want to know if the game is good. Not if an MMO had MMO troubles during an MMO launch, just like every MMO to ever exist in the MMO genre. Thanks for nothing.