Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: SOE Layoffs Announced

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

UPDATE: For those looking for more information about the SOE layoffs, John Smedley has posted a great deal on his Reddit account. He speaks a great deal about PlanetSide 2:

Some specific comments.

1. Is this layoff going to impact PS2? - no. we have a large team still working on it. Yes some people have been let go from the team. They did terrific work and it's just simply a cost cutting issue.

2. Is Planetside 2 doing well - yes. These cuts were SOE wide. They were neccessary to get our costs in line with our revenues. Simple as that.

3. Was anyone fired because we have Player Studio know and we don't need them? - Absolutely not. this is silly.

There are many people with theories on why stuff like this happens. I can tell you this very simply - we make the best games we can and as a company I can say with a straight face that we do our absolute best to minimize the times when we need to do layoffs like this. They absolutely suck. However we do our absolute best to get people placed with good companies and we absolutely hire people back.

I don't much like the boilerplate statements companies make these days, ours included.. so I wanted to come on here and let you know we stand by PS2 and our other games and despite some people no longer being at the team we are working hard on the optimizations and the other features we have promised. We are making good progress and we intend to have a full status update next week

Smed

Sony Online Entertainment's Linda Brasse has announced via her Twitter account that layoffs have happened at the game developer and publisher. The exact number and which studios are affected is not clear. We will keep you posted on this developing story.

Today we bid farewell to some brilliant minds and hearts leaving SOE. All our best wishes go with them.

@darinwsmith @everquest_next We cannot discuss personnel matters out of respect for employees, but what I can say is that the games go on.

From the DC Universe Online forum:

Today we announced a reduction in our workforce at SOE. As a company, our goal is to focus on our core expertise of MMO games and as part of these efforts, we had to make the difficult decision to eliminate positions to help reduce costs, streamline our employee base and strategically align resources towards our current portfolio of games and upcoming slate of MMOs, including EverQuest Next Landmark and EverQuest Next. We deeply value our employees and are grateful for all they’ve contributed to our company and games. They will be missed by colleagues and friends, and we wish them well in the future. Out of respect for our employees, we request that you do not discuss personnel matters on our forums.

Thank you for your understanding.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by SBFord

Sony Online Entertainment's Linda Brasse has announced via her Twitter account that layoffs have happened at the game developer and publisher. The exact number and which studios are affected is not clear. We will keep you posted on this developing story.

Today we bid farewell to some brilliant minds and hearts leaving SOE. All our best wishes go with them.

— Brasse (@Brasse) August 28, 2013

@darinwsmith @everquest_next We cannot discuss personnel matters out of respect for employees, but what I can say is that the games go on.

— Brasse (@Brasse) August 28, 2013

This is not good news and sadly SOE whilst looking for fame drop the axe at their highest moment of their new game and this saddens me greatly and no doubt we will hear on red at some point what has happened some time in the future. Good luck to whoever it is and lets hope they manage to find new positions.

Bandit.

Asbo

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Their PR team proved they don't need to actually develop a game in order to sell it.

• gunmanvladgunmanvlad Member UncommonPosts: 281

Given the way they've managed the EQNext reveal and their whole approach to the game I highly doubt their team will be affected in any way by these measures. 

I wonder however if they will start streamlining their services and dedicating more resources towards quality instead of PR and the like.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Sony as a corporation has been doing badly for years only just about making a profit in the last quarter, that's the reason for the gamers first approach to flogging the PS4, they need it to succeed badly. This means there must be a knock on effect to their gaming divisions especially one that fails to release quality games time and time again. Have SOE ever released a fully working, full of content MMO ever? and how the hell does John Smedley still have a job with failure after failure? that has puzzled me for a while, its seems they keep on laying off the wrong people, how about looking at leadership first? I'm expecting EQN to be a half arsed, half finished, rushed release (in time to beat TESO to market?) because history tells us that's all SOE are capable of releasing.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    SOE hasn't made anything good for the mmo community since Everquest. Layoffs shouldn't be a suprise here.
  • SarykSaryk Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Originally posted by Calerxes
    Sony as a corporation has been doing badly for years only just about making a profit in the last quarter, that's the reason for the gamers first approach to flogging the PS4, they need it to succeed badly. This means there must be a knock on effect to their gaming divisions especially one that fails to release quality games time and time again. Have SOE ever released a fully working, full of content MMO ever? and how the hell does John Smedley still have a job with failure after failure? that has puzzled me for a while, its seems they keep on laying off the wrong people, how about looking at leadership first? I'm expecting EQN to be a half arsed, half finished, rushed release (in time to beat TESO to market?) because history tells us that's all SOE are capable of releasing.

You know what , I agree! However at least EQnext will be F2P..........

• LordSneergLordSneerg Member Posts: 119
    Sad news. Guess DCUO is not pulling in the money. I hope eqnext becomes the game they envision it to be. My condolences to the layed off employees.
  • RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    They were like ok who was the moron that didnt think to make EQNext playable on Ps4? Then it trickled back through VP's in the various departments and presto some heads are rolling. Big Big BIG EqNext Ps4 announcement incoming. ...
  • ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by Saryk

Pray it doesn't go F2P - nothing says "We can't hold this game by subs alone," like F2P which depends on 1 out of every 1,000 players to be just crazy enough to spend enough to cover 1,000 subscriptions in silly purchasing. 

I have yet to see a "good" mmorpg that has a F2P model.  WoW might be losing subs, but they still trump every mmorpg I've played outside of Dark Age of Camelot (a sadly dated, EA ruined gem of a game).

Originally posted by Comaf
    Originally posted by Saryk
    SNIPPER

Pray it doesn't go F2P - nothing says "We can't hold this game by subs alone," like F2P which depends on 1 out of every 1,000 players to be just crazy enough to spend enough to cover 1,000 subscriptions in silly purchasing. 

I have yet to see a "good" mmorpg that has a F2P model.  WoW might be losing subs, but they still trump every mmorpg I've played outside of Dark Age of Camelot (a sadly dated, EA ruined gem of a game).

Have you been away from any MMO news for a while? EQN is going to be f2p at release.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    You guys realise this has nothing to do with EQN? DCUO is just obviously under-performing.
  • grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162
    It's just Sony cutting away some fat. Dosen't impact the PS4 at all.
  • niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by evilastro
    You guys realise this has nothing to do with EQN? DCUO is just obviously under-performing.

This is the second time I've seen a statement about DCUO under-performing being the reason, but that game has been out for long enough for most, if not all, of its negative impact to be felt.  I would have thought with Planetside 2 being the most recent launch from SOE that it would be the most likely to have the reductions.  Of course, I could be wrong.

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680
    Most likely from the DCUO team. 
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    I guess with EQn and it's budget they can't afford as much all around at present, I think the fact they just released two Expacs might play into this as well.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• isslingissling Member UncommonPosts: 162
    It sucks to be laid off! I wish them all well. I don't think EQN will be the mmo that rights their ship, it could of been, but it will not.
  • HanthosHanthos Member UncommonPosts: 242
    Originally posted by Gorwe
    Hope that Vanguard didn't lose anyone. Just when things got better, this struck us...

Hope everyone is accounted for :)

No way to tell at this point. SOE-MOD-08 is running through the boards with his Nazi Hammer killing and deleting any thread that asks what the status of the dev team is. As there are so few to begin with, it doesn't look good.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Hanthos
    Originally posted by Gorwe
    Hope that Vanguard didn't lose anyone. Just when things got better, this struck us...

Hope everyone is accounted for :)

No way to tell at this point. SOE-MOD-08 is running through the boards with his Nazi Hammer killing and deleting any thread that asks what the status of the dev team is. As there are so few to begin with, it doesn't look good.

Good indication that there is nothing worth talking about with regards to Vanguard.  Not yesterday, not today, not tomorrow .. or the next day :P

It's very possibly devs who know their funding was cut to smitherines, but they want to prolong their jobs, so long as people play.  SOE passes don't matter, it's the people that play that keep their positions.  If the number falls .. it's curtains.

There is no funding for Vanguard today, tomorrow, next week, or next year.

Best way to prolong the game, is to pretend questions about the future never happened!  Delete, delete, delete....

It's done.  /wipe-hands

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• Swedish_ChefSwedish_Chef Member Posts: 213

Events like this are the reason I decided (back when I was a teen) not to get into the video game industry. Even at the best of times, it's just not known to be possessed of a great deal of stability.

I hope those affected can find new jobs quickly. I'll be keeping them in my thoughts & prayers.

• KyBoKyBo Member UncommonPosts: 140

"Out of respect for our employees, we request that you do not discuss personnel matters on our forums."

So, after publicly announcing that employees were losing their jobs, SOE thinks it's disrespectful to the employees they just laid off to discuss that announcement on SOE forums. 

How about, "As it is an embarrassment to SOE and yet another PR black eye, we ask that you not discuss the fact that our poor management ability has cost people their jobs on our forums, and embarrass us even further."  I think that more accurately describes SOE's position.

It's disconcerting to anyone that people are losing their jobs, especially when it was through no fault of their own.  Poor management at SOE (yes, that means John Smedley and those immediately beneath him), and at Sony in general, are the reason for this job loss.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959

After all these years, With failure after failure. With lay offs after lay offs.

I am absolutely baffled that John Smedley is still at the helm in this Company!

In any other Company, he would have been canned years ago!

He is the number 1 reason SOE is doing so badly these last years, with hundreds of People having lost their jobs!

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    You folks have it wrong IMO (the two posters above me), I think it's the ability to make decisions like this that solidifies Smed's position, a truly moral CEO would grind tooth and nail to keep their teams together, and in turn crash the company entirely in trying to do so. The job of a CEO is first and foremost to ensure the best profitability of a company and ensure the least amount of overhead. We're not talking videogames here, we're talking corporate level decision making. If Smed didn't do his job he'd be gone in a heart beat, Sony is no stranger to executive level restructuring, they do it quite often actually.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

A company like SOE works in project teams, some projects are shrinking in  size, others are growing, most of the time its not possible to transfer all employees to other project teams, because there might not be a need for the employees quallities there..

Anouncements like this are mostly misunderstood by simple minds like gamers..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    Originally posted by Distopia
    You folks have it wrong IMO (the two posters above me), I think it's the ability to make decisions like this that solidifies Smed's position, a truly moral CEO would grind tooth and nail to keep their teams together, and in turn crash the company entirely in trying to do so. The job of a CEO is first and foremost to ensure the best profitability of a company and ensure the least amount of overhead. We're not talking videogames here, we're talking corporate level decision making. If Smed didn't do his job he'd be gone in a heart beat, Sony is no stranger to executive level restructuring, they do it quite often actually.

The massive lay offs that have happened in the last years at SOE is due to John Smedley´s missmanagement!

He has lost Complete touch With his playerbase for years! Has lied over and over to his playerbase. Making hard promisses he knew he could not keep!

And then let´s not even talk about how he has treated the European playerbase for years and now topping it off with the whole debacle with ProSieben!

And with that he has chased away a hell of a lot of loyal customers these past years running the Subscription numbers into the ground for many of their games!

Their PR Department is also one of the most incompetent in the world!

The problem is, I think, is that Smed is one of the original founders of SOE and has somehow a too strong anker in the Company to be removed.

Originally posted by Distopia

Well with Sony Corporation being usurped by Samsung and LG as the premier electronics company I see the whole top management being to blame then because Sony have been unprofitable for years. Releasing unfinished, buggy, no content games over and over again and laying people off year on year isn't really doing your job properly is it? if you are making less and less money and have to lay off staff where is the shortfall coming from as the parent company has no money? it means you are having to release unfinished buggy games as you don't have development funds to do it properly. Does that sound familiar?