Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Disliking a previously liked game after reading forums

2»

Comments

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130
    Problem I see here is that when I like a game I hardly EVER come to any forums.  If I do it's usual that said games forums and it's to do other things then complain about it.

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    Honestly I can say yes, I have had opinions on forums change my overall opinion on a game. The reasoning behind it isn't that I cannot have my own opinion or think for myself. It's mainly because when I start to play a game I usually enjoy every aspect of it, and push things that I dislike aside, and ignore them or try to find a reason as to why something is like that. But when I go onto a forum and all I see is hate for something very specific it's hard to not start to bring that back out of the corner where I was ignoring it. It happened with Tera for me mainly. I got to the point where I was excited to be max level, I got some starter gear, then started reading forums on how bad the enchanting system was. Well SCREW THAT I said, I didn't mind trying for hours on end to enchant a piece of gear. So I did. For a couple weeks. Ignoring the fact that it was something I really wasn't enjoying, there was all of the points coming out from people on the forum but I still ignored it. Later on going to the forum ended up making me basically quit the game because it brought out all the feelings I had tried to ignore towards it.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

OP: although you're right, do you honestly think you're going to get many people agreeing with you?

Everyone likes to think that they're the exception, the one person  who is not influenced by public opinion, AAA advertising or viral marketing. It's everyone else that falls for it, not me image

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• gamesrfungamesrfun Member Posts: 127

This has happened quite a few times in my life across different genres.

Of course, do not be discouraged by this.  Consider it a positive sign that you can take contrary evidence to your experience and incorporate it into your worldview (whether it be about a game, a book, a tv series, etc.)

For those who say "I can think for myself" the reality is they are probably less flexible in their schemas.  Opposing information can often make those types of people uncomfortable.  Of course, that is not to say that every view deserves merit and consideration, because that is obviously false, but it is something we should at least process.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

I answered NO.

I know what I like about games, I also know it's often in conflict with other gamers.

People often speak about grind, I don't know it as they do, I see progression, but please don't let me do certain dungeons over and over again as that's my  "grind" I try to avoid. Do I need to craft the same thing over and over again then to me it aint grind. It's what my character needs to do to become better at his craft. See the conflict....as I think the majority would feel it's boring at how I enjoy crafting and they prefer to do that dungeon over and over again to get that better gear or Epic item.

There are many situations that are in conflict to how I like MMO or MMORPG's. For example this Please skip this game topic

I read the whole topic and even though it was a very negative topic it actually made me want to play the game cause most of OP's negative's are things I actually want in a MMORPG.

So as said I am my own individual, I know what I like, what I want, what I need from games. But other people especially some stranger on the forums or even website game journalist could not make me change my mind on things I do enjoy. I am selective and don't play everything. But I do play a many different game genre'sso combining things I might not get out of a certain game I might get in another game.

If I would influence myself by negative forum posters I might aswell stop playing MMORPG's or MMO's.

OP if you have fun with what you where playing, keep doing that, don't let other dictate to you what they consider fun.

• SpeelmanisSpeelmanis Member UncommonPosts: 6
    For me it's "vice versa", i dislike posters who hate my favorite game. :)
  • crack_foxcrack_fox Member UncommonPosts: 399

Indirectly, yes. If there is a vocal and persistent minority on the forums pushing for the game to implement a particular feature I dislike, or seeking to influence the game's direction in a way that I am opposed to, then that can certainly influence my perception of a game. 

• MorrokMorrok Member Posts: 130

If i actually play a game, my opinion on the game itself isn't influenced by forums, but perhaps how i perceive "the community".

If on forums a part of the game is ripped apart that i haven't played, chancs are i won't enjoy that part no matter how it's implemented.

If they denounce the game itself, and i have fun playing it nonetheless, the forums don't change my perception either, at most i am happy that some players (the posters) don't play where i do.

As a player i am fully aware that what i like is not what everyone else likes, and that some features could be implemented better.
    If i care enough, i post to that end myself.

Games i haven't played yet (but can imagine to play) though are another matter, simply because i don't have that first-hand experience.
    In that case, i try to read not just one post on a topic, but many, and read a game's wiki and look at screens or vids to form an opinion.
    And if i can, i even download it and see for myself.

In short: forums to me are an inspiration but not a deciding factor on how i choose to perceive a game.

• Electro057Electro057 Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Nope...Nope, can't quite say I have....I have voiced my opinions quite clearly before, venom tongued serpent that I am....trying to caress your mind with silver veleteen words and the likes. But I like to form my own opinions, try it then buy it...Or something like that.

--Custom Rig: Pyraxis---
    NZXT Phantom 410 Case
    Intel Core i5-4690 Processor - Quad Core, 6MB Smart Cache, 3.5GHz
    Asus Sabertooth Z87 Motherboard
    Asus GeForce GTX 760 Video Card - 2GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0
    Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 16GB

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Nope forum negativity never has been the deciding factor for me on any game. If I let the forums decide anything for me, I would not be playing any MMO's. This forum follows a trend of people getting excited for a MMO, then when it launches all the negativity is released on it.  Haters like to cause conflict with fanbois, and when fanbois praise a game haters attack them, this will never end.
  • DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Since I possess a brain of my own, it's down to me to decide whether I like a game or not. 
  • CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Yes its happened to me but I'm not surprised about all the No's as its a forum and to admit you are human and influenced by others is a sign of weakness and not being able to think for yourself. I bet they all don't cry at sad films. image. I used to think like others on this thread until I really thought about why I left certain MMO's and there was an element of the negativity shown on forums that affected that decision, Aion being a big example. Nowadays I try to rise above that so I don't read the SW:TOR forums (here or official) very often and when I do it reminds me of why I avoid them. 

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545

Would just like to add that the Poll doesn't really account for much.

What if it influences your opinion about a game for the better?

What if a review just lays out some facts about a previously unknown game which lets you make your own decisions?

Say I'm looking for a FFA PvP, Full Loot, anything goes kill fest of an MMORPG. An article comes out, that says that an upcoming game will be a tab target quest hub WoW-clone with no PvP whatsoever. 

Now is it the article that influenced me or did it just inform me that this particle game probably won't be what I'm searching for?

Would also like to add that if you've played more than one or two MMOs then you probably already realize that hype is to be regarded with suspicion and not much else. "Burn me once" and all that.

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

• SnigerknudSnigerknud Member UncommonPosts: 60

OP I agree 100%

I have  thought about this many times before and I dont know why I keep comming back to this forum because it realy ruins the game experience for many peppl.

There are to much negative and hate in this world..its not only in games and pepp are sick of it...

Enjoy the game and dont come in here to read all the hate about the game YOU like so much. Just go read the site not the forum. ;)

my 2 cent.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

Really great writeup OP.  I enjoyed reading it.

I have definitely seen this occur, on this forum, a few times.  It has also happened to me when I was playing league of legends and then reading about its faults from the HON and DOTA2 crowd. (I still enjoy the game though because it's pros far outweigh its cons).

I've also seen the opposite happen where a player never having played a game (in this case World of Warcraft) only went to this forum and read threads about how bad the game was, and therefore never played it for years.  Only finally, after ignoring the game for years and years, he finally downloaded it and he ended up saying it was the best game he ever played.  He later came back to this forum and wrote about his experience.

Public opinion can be a strong factor in our decision making.  Since we are social animals, it only makes sense that we try to stick to the perceived norm in order to fit in.  But its also important to take note that we still have vastly different taste and desires.  Therefore what one thing might please one person, it doesn't necessarily please another.

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498
    No. I like to use forums to see people's opinions and get info on a game but ultimately the decision is all mine on a game.
  • meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344

Yes, but only in the sense that a thread describing bad business practices (which I found out later were true) was the catalyst for me changing my mind about the game developer.

I would never take someone's opinion on gameplay, quality, or "fun". Those are entirely subjective.