Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why would anyone return to WoW?

Comments

• AziruAziru Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Because you can actually PLAY the game unlike FFXIV ARR
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Rod : onyxia, attunements, aq40, tbc full line to bt (best I have ever played) , to name some of the big ones

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    Originally posted by Arthasm
    Mostly, because of friends. We raid together since Cata and when we don't raid, we usually drink beer in local park (teaching youngest population how bad deseases are alcohol and Wow, lol). Was quit Wow for GW2, then got brainshot and resubed again to Wow and won't move soon (except for FFXIV, but after we gang-bang Garrosh)... But, still looking for "Wow killer" and after every crap I saw, I think I'll search for a long, long time.

well said

• AreWeLiveAreWeLive Member UncommonPosts: 201
    Originally posted by Xssiv

It's the most polished, user friendly and active MMO on the market.   

The WoW Battle Chest (includes vanilla, BC, and LK) is $19.99

Cata is $9.99

MoP is $39.99

So $69.97 for everything (plus sub).  

Actually you can upgrade from the battlechest to MoP and that comes with Cata for $39.99.

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    Lol kop if you going to sell wow then be honest about the issues - i can guarantee i have raided at a level far senior to yourself and the lovely warm picture you present of end game raiding is far from the tense truth :) If anyone wants a true indication of where wow is at go read the q & a sessions on mmo champion.

You lost me @ "I can guarantee".

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Got me thinking now , Ubrs, chicken quests, wotlk, zg line .. :)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    Originally posted by Kopogero

@Op

As one who's amongst the best and most experienced in this genre as well as my vast experience in gaming over the last 22 years I'll tell you why you should return to WOW.

Most here who find flaws with the game are mainly unexperienced to properly find the values within the game to fully enjoy it. So here are some of the reasons why I will most likely be coming back to WOW once 5.4 hits in 2 weeks.

#1 I will be raiding 3 days a week for 3+ hours and quickly demonstrate to my guild that I'm a very valuable asset, which in exchange will deeply appreciate and respect my stay. That itself, being needed and valued to your guildmates is one good reason.

#2 Rest 4 days I will be doing xrealm RBG's, 2v2/3v3 arena PvP and other new content for the purpose of getting some bad ass rare mount. Mounts are everything in the game and one of the main reason beside titles for raiding. So raiding is not meaningless and rehashed every couple months. You permanently gain achivement/title with a date when you've completed beside mount collecting.

#3 World PvP still exists and its extremely fun when I was owning the opposite faction that was trying to do daily quests. Making players frustrated and unable to do their daily quests is priceless. Being forced to call their guildmates and cry for help.

#4 I spent entire full summer last year to finally get the Battlemaster title. Doing battlegrounds and shouting to everyone what to do was pain, but finally it paid off and now it's awesome. There are other epic titles that I will pursue like bloodthirsty.

#5 At the end WOW offers the best overall experience. It allows you to make some long lasting online friends for future gaming. It knows how to bring people together. The changes 5.4 brings to PvP are awesome and virtual realms will solve the population issues.

The only question you'll have to ask yourself is not why would anyone return to WOW, but what other MMORPG without subscribtion I could see myself enjoying for a while? Personally, I've had hard time to find that MMORPG. Maeby Path of Exile will shine again late this year once they fix solo vs group balance and further improve and polish the game.

+1

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

Warcraft isn't that bad.  It does look antiquated after playing newer games, but it is familiar.  I know where everything is, where to buy/sell, etc...    The downside of familiar is that you've been there and done that.  Even with a new expansion, it's still the same thing with a different name.    

As a new player, I would definitely pay for the battle-chest and go from there.  

• rodrigoqrodrigoq Member Posts: 11

I retired from WoW.. It has nothing new, or interesting enough to go back for.  99% of Free to play games are garbage.. 

so i lurk on mmorpg.com and read posts from people who are just as bored and tired of crappy MMO's as I am. 

• newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780
    Because it's still undoubtedly the most polished MMO out there. I'm not currently playing, but I'll give it another look when the next expansion launches.
  • PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844
    Originally posted by Beelzebobbie
    Originally posted by PAL-18
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Lets say their next expansion is a must have,top-notch product,housing,deep character customization,improved graphics,millions of new items ,challenging game play,servers merged which makes x-server and lft tools crap obsolete and worlds feels more alive again,elites comes back etc...

what else they need?

way to skip MoP for free.

Well, some new classes, two more races, more challenging top level of the game (Personally i am a huge fan of LFG tools so thats where i disagree with you) 

But then thats not what is was asking, i am looking to give people like me a good reason to return. I played for 3 years after release, and had a lot of fun..  But most of the things fun in WoW i can find in all those other games.   ]despite that, WoW allways felt special when i played it.. just cant figure out why..

and some new classes and races why not,and keep lfg tool servers and remove those from pvp servers or something like that.

To me they have atleast 1 special thing,some of its NPCs ,i still remember them,their names,what they wear and where,what do they have to say and such.

do i remember NPCs from Tera? ,no ,GW2? no,whatever other "wowclone"? and the answer is no.

+They somehow managed to make strong characters allmost like Baldurs Gate,that is real magic (allmost)

++ meh,i do remember one NPC from swtor,it was somekind of Yoda clone and i remember it because it was so terribly done,cant remember its name or voice i just remember that there was something terribly wrong.

The reason why you remember what the npc names are is because the game is like a 100 years old and everything in wow has to be grinded a 1000 times so it's not that strange that you remember there names and GW2 and Tera has only been online for about a year so not that strange.

no sorry,i never "grinded" in Baldurs gate and i never "grinded" NPCs in WoW,they are just finely done thats all.

and in other games they are not,

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• Deathgod881Deathgod881 Member UncommonPosts: 104
    Because its the only game that works properly

"Let destruction rain!" from Asbel Tales of Graces f

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Wow and Swtor are only games so far I can easily imagine to return to play with new expansions even for 10 or 20 years.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Well, i am getting interested more and more... but i have a vacation comming up, 10 days Orlando with the fammily in September, I think i will wayt till then and see if i am still interested in the game...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• ZairuZairu Member Posts: 469
    Originally posted by Sinaku

Like most I buy the new expansion play for a month and then quit again and then every 6 months sub again.
    The only thing I can say is that if the rumors of the new expansion are true about it being Burning Legion themed then I am all over that in a heart beat!

I have not seen any of the rumors (or been looking for that matter), but if Blizzard DOESN'T make it themed around Sargeras (spelling? it's been a while) then they have completely lost their minds.

in response to the OP-

the only thing that really keeps me from playing WoW again is that I can't deal with the cluttered UI anymore. I feel the same about the tab targeting. other than those unavoidable gameplay features, i would return again, back to my on/off spurts of play.

OH YEAH!!! i can't forget.... the sub. if I could just pay for the time played instead of a flat fee per month, I would poke my head in pretty often. but it isn't worth 15$ a month anymore IMO.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

Price: The price has dropped so the games are cheaper then they have ever been.  There have also been multiple 50% off sales this year for WoW.  There may be more.

Leveling up: Leveling up is easier then ever since cata re-made the old zones.  Additionally, people have told me the lore and phasing that has taken place is much more enjoyable and changes up the questing so you won't get bored so easily.  The only downside is TBC and Northrend which are a little slower pace, but you should still only have to spend a few days in each continent.

Additionally, if you utilize the recruit a friend, you will be leveling up at an extremely fast rate and get a nifty mount.

Endgame PvE: Just like in every other expansion, you will be doing dailies, then grinding to get raid ready gear.  Luckily this takes as little as a day or two (from what i've been told).  It only took me a day to be raid ready.

You will also need to do LFR to just get upgrades faster.  Its retard friendly and the easiest way to get purples. You will then get better gear in real 10-man and 25-man raids.

Endgame PvP: Still very strong and competitive.  If you aren't into arenas, then Rated BGs are forming left and right.  They are less intense then arenas, and offer good rewards. Still fun as ever.

Crafting: Same old shit.

Achievement hunting: Lots and LOTS of achievement groups forming (atleast on the bigger servers).  Its a great way to have fun with old content and get some nifty rewards.  The old tier gear looked the best anyways :)

Pet Battles: thats a thing.

My best piece of advice is to join a large population server.  This game is built on doing stuff with other people.  Having an active community just makes things more enjoyable and gives you less waiting time.

• ZairuZairu Member Posts: 469

To me they have atleast 1 special thing,some of its NPCs ,i still remember them,their names,what they wear and where,what do they have to say and such.

do i remember NPCs from Tera? ,no ,GW2? no,whatever other "wowclone"? and the answer is no.

+They somehow managed to make strong characters allmost like Baldurs Gate,that is real magic (allmost)

++ meh,i do remember one NPC from swtor,it was somekind of Yoda clone and i remember it because it was so terribly done,cant remember its name or voice i just remember that there was something terribly wrong.

i remeber WoW NPC's so well because I already knew many of them from playing Warcraft 1-3.

most of my WoW enjoyment was cross-over enjoyment from being such a Warcraft RTS fan. that, and the fact that my wife loved playing it as well.

so i add to the OP-

i would return if my wife became a huge WoW-head again.

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077
    Originally posted by Kopogero

@Op

As one who's amongst the best and most experienced in this genre as well as my vast experience in gaming over the last 22 years I'll tell you why you should return to WOW.

Most here who find flaws with the game are mainly unexperienced to properly find the values within the game to fully enjoy it. So here are some of the reasons why I will most likely be coming back to WOW once 5.4 hits in 2 weeks.

And then folks wonder where the whole "entitlement" BS comes from, again? Twenty two years of gaming experience shows a dabbler, it doesn't show a developer.

Unless our young Kopo works for Blizzard as a dev, he's just as inexperienced as the next guy with their idea of the game. You don't need decade of experience in WoW to understand the game, as a programmer doesn't need 10 years experience to understand design systems.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

I always come back to WoW cause my real-life friends insists on buying expansions + time cards for me so I'll play as well.

It only lasts 2-3 weeks and we always go back to League of Legends, DOTA2, LoL, etc though. >.>

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• majinantmajinant Member UncommonPosts: 418

I just went back. Quit before wrath.

I got a referral from a friend. Once I loaded up the game it offered me the battle chest (up to wrath) for $5 and it is now offering me cata and mists for $40. Not a bad deal.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    i return once a year for a few weeks -- its not a bad game but it doesnt appeal to me enough to maintain the sub
  • DestructhorDestructhor Member Posts: 88

I'm sure a lot of people return for nostalgia's sake.  Or to play with old friends, experience new content and so on.  As a new game to play it would be tough to get into for the purpose of pvp/end game content, but to just mess around, level up and explore it could be fun for a new player.

my 2 pennies

Originally posted by Destructhor

I'm sure a lot of people return for nostalgia's sake.  Or to play with old friends, experience new content and so on.  As a new game to play it would be tough to get into for the purpose of pvp/end game content, but to just mess around, level up and explore it could be fun for a new player.

my 2 pennies

I was in a great guild over 5 years ago, mostly eu beta testers and the friends we made in vanilla... Dont think any of them are still playing, so returning to see friends is not my goal

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794

One of the biggest issues is half the MMO community has turned into content locust so to speak burn threw all the content in a marathon run, and get to the end and complain there was not enough content.

and two, anytime an MMO comes out or is announced half the time it gets bombed because of all the whinning or complaining , then the community makes the devs affaraid of taking risks (this is usually where a game becomes god,bad, or great) , because back before the Web, games were just made and you either loved em liked em or did not like em.

The main reason to come back to any game IMO, is playing with friends, people,and a good community. Hell half the reason I kept going back to WoW was cause my friends did. and half the reason I would go back to Lotro was the community. If your playing an online game and the community is krapy/elitest or just plan untolerent of new players (witch we have all been) , it becomes un accessable/fun...IMO

Originally posted by Beelzebobbie

Lets say their next expansion is a must have,top-notch product,housing,deep character customization,improved graphics,millions of new items ,challenging game play,servers merged which makes x-server and lft tools crap obsolete and worlds feels more alive again,elites comes back etc...

what else they need?

way to skip MoP for free.

Well, some new classes, two more races, more challenging top level of the game (Personally i am a huge fan of LFG tools so thats where i disagree with you) 

But then thats not what is was asking, i am looking to give people like me a good reason to return. I played for 3 years after release, and had a lot of fun..  But most of the things fun in WoW i can find in all those other games.   ]despite that, WoW allways felt special when i played it.. just cant figure out why..

and some new classes and races why not,and keep lfg tool servers and remove those from pvp servers or something like that.

The reason why you remember what the npc names are is because the game is like a 100 years old and everything in wow has to be grinded a 1000 times so it's not that strange that you remember there names and GW2 and Tera has only been online for about a year so not that strange.

no sorry,i never "grinded" in Baldurs gate and i never "grinded" NPCs in WoW,they are just finely done thats all.

and in other games they are not,

People that dont remember npc from gw2 swtor or tsw never really played those games, because these current day mmos have the best fleshed out npcs ever. Need i say Zash or Logan?