Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Elder Scrolls Online: Yes, Virginia, It’s Pay to Play

124»

Comments

• blazzen67blazzen67 Member Posts: 65
    well, for me, im buying this game for the PVE, couldnt care less for the PVP...and im sure im not alone with that thought. if the PVP is going to be like they described, then thats just a plus for me. Not everyone is concerned with PVP like you are
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    Originally posted by Zairu

Why 15$? they don't need that much to maintain servers and staff. it's not like the idea of 'free server' games is outlandish. it is actually MORE common to find a game with a free server than one you pay to access monthly. This scam only exists within MMO's. and it is not very justified when most of the sharded pieces of broken up game world's in MMO's are no more advanced than the maps in rts games, or games of other genres.

15$ might not be much money at all, but it is a waste if you aren't playing.

My guess is that they need more money to not only make back their investment but to continue their investment.

Let's say they sell 2 million boxes at 60.00 per box. 120 million. If their game cost 160 million to make then they fall short. Not only do they not make back their initial investment, they have nothing to drive development.

And the "kicker" is that they don't keep all that 120 million. It's not like every box sale goes directly in the developer's pockets. When I was in retail so, so, long ago, it was common for stores to double what they paid for the product they brought. I don't think it's different now.

So that's only 30 dollars per item. Now some of that might go to a distributor but some might not with direct downloads. But you can start seeing that the game companies are not keepign every dime per sale.

So now we have a 160 million (or whatever) game that doesn't even make back it's investment on the initial run. And they still have to continue development. Who is going to buy an mmo if the game company might fold at launch?

To develop, launch and continually develop an mmo takes more than an initial box sale. Even GW2 has a cash shop.

All that $15 per month does is make it so everyone shares in the costs of the game and not put all of that on the few people who are willing to pay more and who might be fickle and leave at the drop of a dime.

As far as the other statment, that's silly. I have a gym membership, does that mean I have to go for several hours per day every day in order to feel like it's money well spent?

I pay a minimum amount per month for my cell phone. If I'm not making lots of calls does that mean I'm throwing out money?

You pay for access and the ability to access whenever you want.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Why 15$? they don't need that much to maintain servers and staff. it's not like the idea of 'free server' games is outlandish. it is actually MORE common to find a game with a free server than one you pay to access monthly. This scam only exists within MMO's. and it is not very justified when most of the sharded pieces of broken up game world's in MMO's are no more advanced than the maps in rts games, or games of other genres.

15$ might not be much money at all, but it is a waste if you aren't playing.

My guess is that they need more money to not only make back their investment but to continue their investment.

Let's say they sell 2 million boxes at 60.00 per box. 120 million. If their game cost 160 million to make then they fall short. Not only do they not make back their initial investment, they have nothing to drive development.

And the "kicker" is that they don't keep all that 120 million. It's not like every box sale goes directly in the developer's pockets. When I was in retail so, so, long ago, it was common for stores to double what they paid for the product they brought. I don't think it's different now.

So that's only 30 dollars per item. Now some of that might go to a distributor but some might not with direct downloads. But you can start seeing that the game companies are not keepign every dime per sale.

So now we have a 160 million (or whatever) game that doesn't even make back it's investment on the initial run. And they still have to continue development. Who is going to buy an mmo if the game company might fold at launch?

To develop, launch and continually develop an mmo takes more than an initial box sale. Even GW2 has a cash shop.

All that $15 per month does is make it so everyone shares in the costs of the game and not put all of that on the few people who are willing to pay more and who might be fickle and leave at the drop of a dime.

As far as the other statment, that's silly. I have a gym membership, does that mean I have to go for several hours per day every day in order to feel like it's money well spent?

I pay a minimum amount per month for my cell phone. If I'm not making lots of calls does that mean I'm throwing out money?

You pay for access and the ability to access whenever you want.

gawd!

smart people are so annoying

:)

• WaydeWayde Member Posts: 1
    i would love to play ESO all year non-stop and i would pay the fee gladly, but i'm 15 years old and my parents aren't going to help pay any sort of subscription. So i'm probably not going to be able to afford ESO month after month. Im sure i am not the only kid in this situation checking under couches and vending machines for loose change. 
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    I play all F2P MMOS with monthly sub so not an issue for me however i am quite sure that this MMO will follow the same path as Rift, SWTOR etc and go F2P in a year or so.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892

I buy 'games', not 'membership to access'. (done with that scam)

and I'll gladly pay a box price for a game. I don't expect anything to be free in life. I don't expect companies to entertain me for free. I will gladly pay for a product I want. But you don't own a game if it has a sub. you 'rent it'.

the real question is (for me).

15$ might not be much money at all, but it is a waste if you aren't playing. it is tedious and tiresome (and maybe impossible) to try and 'estimate' how long you are going to have fun playing a game. I have wasted too much money in the past on games with subs, because 'fun' is not a predetermined matter and I might lose my spark at the end of the month after I have already been billed, just to cancel it and then get the spark again out of nowhere, and have to decide if it is worth turning it back on or not. I got to the point, where I just don't.

I don't want that to EVER be a part of my gaming experience again.

Then how do you propose, given that these games cost far more than your "box price" will cover, the game remain financially viable?

If the game costs 100 million to make and the game costs 59.99 then over 1 million and 666 thousand players need to buy that box BUT the developer doesn't even keep all that money so it needs to be even more people.

And then that's it, game over because that is just covering the initial investment.

So your box price covers 1 month's play and the game folds.

They won't even have enough to make an expansion.

So they have to either charge a subscription or sell fancy hats with the hope that enough people by those hats to keep the game going.

I can't subscribe to your idea of "I won't pay 15 per month because it's a waste if you aren't playing" idea. I have a gym membership and I don't go every minute of the day. I have a phone plan and I don't feel like I have to use every allotted minute under that plan or else it's a waste.

One pays 15 (or whatever) per month and you can play as much or as little as your heart desires. You can play every day for 16 hours a day if you want.

You can play 1 hour per day if you want and that is still a better bargain than going to the movies where you pay 12 dollars for 2 hours of entertainment.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

If the game is fun then I have no qualms paying a sub fee.

However paying a retail price of $60 plus monthly fee just to do a "trial" I have issues with.  I'm sick of paying $75-$90 on every new MMO to just try a game out since they never offer trial versions so one can really try the game.  I'll be waiting on the sidelines for user reviews and for some sort of trial.

• mad-hattermad-hatter Member UncommonPosts: 241
    As much as I like the idea of ESO, I just have this bad feeling about the game failing to deliver.  Hoping to be able to give it a try before I buy, be it some form of beta or stress test.   I don't mind paying a sub for a good game, as long as the cash shop is cosmetic.
  • Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Kaynos1972
    It all goes down to the fun factor. If i'm having fun i have no problem paying 15$ a month.

same here , if they bring me TES game without limitations no big deal to pay 15$ monthly

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

I buy 'games', not 'membership to access'. (done with that scam)

You should really look up the definition of the word "scam," because you clearly don't understand what it means. 

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    P2P and in game cash shop too? That's retarded...