Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

People still whining about pandas....

Electro057Electro057 Member UncommonPosts: 683

So people seem to try and use the Pandaren constantly as an excuse and I can't help but wonder why? It just seems like inane whining and jumping aboard bandwagons..

The Pandaren are an established race in Warcraft Lore, they were in Warcraft 3 and they existed before Kung Fu Panda...Which a lot of people seem to compare it to.....

The Pandaren serve as a great analogy to Chinese culture, as the Tauren are to Native Americans, and the Trolls are to Native/Emmigrated/Bouyan Islander Culture. *snerk* Just like the humans are analogous to boring people! *snerk*

The Pandaren models are exquisite, with amazing texturing given the graphical capabilities of the WoW engine. Their models and rigging is amazing, and the texture layer is incredibly detailed...Each blade of fur and all that....It looks great, especially when coupled with the extensive animations and facial expressions in emotes and elsewise.

And the culture and all that represented is just highly Westernized Wuxia, with a bit of Drunken Monk/Martial arts lore slathered over it....Which was established quite awhile ago in Warcraft 3 with the whole Pandaren Brewmaster thing....

So why is everyone so whiny and upset? And irrational? And just....stupid over this? It's an acceptable race, moreso than Draeni or Worgen....

And personally I'd rather take a pandaren any day as opposed to a Blood Elf so pretty and obsessed with their makeup and diet :P 

Anyways....So what's with the whining and trying to use them as an excuse about why WoW is so horrid? 

--Custom Rig: Pyraxis---
NZXT Phantom 410 Case
Intel Core i5-4690 Processor - Quad Core, 6MB Smart Cache, 3.5GHz
Asus Sabertooth Z87 Motherboard
Asus GeForce GTX 760 Video Card - 2GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0
Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 16GB

Comments

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844
    Originally posted by Electro057

So why is everyone so whiny and upset? And irrational? And just....stupid over this? It's an acceptable race, moreso than Draeni or Worgen....

And personally I'd rather take a pandaren any day as opposed to a Blood Elf so pretty and obsessed with their makeup and diet :P 

Anyways....So what's with the whining and trying to use them as an excuse about why WoW is so horrid? 

Ask that from peeps who got sacked by blizzard when these cool things were hyped.

About 600 of them.

And most likely more to follow.

+i think they were going to follow this formula in Titan and thats why it just got cancelled too,they figured out that maybe ,just maybe this is not the way to go.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• Sunnyguy46Sunnyguy46 Member UncommonPosts: 91
    Originally posted by PAL-18

Ask that from peeps who got sacked by blizzard when these cool things were hyped.

About 600 of them.

Do all other game development companies retain all their staff after the project is completed?

• Electro057Electro057 Member UncommonPosts: 683

About 600 of them.

That hardly effects game quality nor is it relevant to how pandas are ruining WoW. People get laid off all the time.

NZXT Phantom 410 Case

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I think pandaren where a great choice for the east asian themed world, just as tauren fit in very well with the native american theme. And trolls with the caribean voodoo theme..

people complaining about the Pandaren never understood what made WoW such a great game.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Originally posted by Sunnyguy46

About 600 of them.

Do all other game development companies retain all their staff after the project is completed?

Nope....Most every game once completed fires non all essential staff unless they're lucky to get shifted to a new project.

It's the business. But some keyboard warriors will find anything to complain and hate on.

Haters gonna hate.

NZXT Phantom 410 Case

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

About 600 of them.

That hardly effects game quality nor is it relevant to how pandas are ruining WoW. People get laid off all the time.

Ok and some companies are growing all the time.

Like Blizzard did....

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

About 600 of them.

Ok and some companies are growing all the time.

Like Blizzard did....

Still....has nothing to do with my topic. Corporate douchiness unrelates to game quality and the relevance of a race in lore. Pretty much that is how game design works....You finish the job and every nonessential staff is let go, they put it on their resume, and get another gig. It's the nature of the beast, that is the video gaming industry. They may take on a few new essential staff and grow each cycle, but the majority of people hired on are laid off. They aren't needed anymore, redundant...A waste of money. Keeping them would be stupid, and if they did, and I was to assess them on merit of corporate decisions and they kept them I would not invest.

However we are talking about the legitimacy of the Pandaren as a race and why everyone QQs.

NZXT Phantom 410 Case

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

I think pandaren where a great choice for the east asian themed world, just as tauren fit in very well with the native american theme. And trolls with the caribean voodoo theme..

people complaining about the Pandaren never understood what made WoW such a great game.

Unless the market was Asia, and it royally backfired in that market.

I told Blizzard why too, and proof is in the pudding.

About 600 of them.

Nope....Most every game once completed fires non all essential staff unless they're lucky to get shifted to a new project.

It's the business. But some keyboard warriors will find anything to complain and hate on.

Haters gonna hate.

Do you realize why about 660 were let go?

Cost cutting.

Do you realize when they did, CS times on tickets went up to 3+ days?

It wasn't devs being fired, it was support staff. That occurs when the game is trying to look good for the books...it wasn't good for the players, though looking at 8 day ticket times.

Originally posted by UNATCOII

About 600 of them.

Haters gonna hate.

Cost cutting.

It wasn't devs being fired, it was support staff. That occurs when the game is trying to look good for the books...it wasn't good for the players, though looking at 8 day ticket times.

Yeah but that's still money talk...And they're still non-essential anyways. Tickets get solved, just not instantly. I'm still looking for the reason that Pandaren make WoW such a terrible game, and how they are not suitable for the lore, and how it makes it all "CareBear" and "Childish."

NZXT Phantom 410 Case

• AcvivmAcvivm Member UncommonPosts: 323

Love my panderan monk, it was one of the first things I did when the expansion released was level a monk to 90 and I had a great time doing it. The lore, the overall pandaren asian artstyle is fantastic and really I find most complaints about the pandaren completely unfounded and made by people who just don't care for the game or don't even play it so they don't really know how well they have been implemented. I think it all comes down to people having seen the kung fu panda movie and lumping both into the same category and using that as an excuse to continue hating WoW. People can except space goats and native american inspired cows but some how asian pandas crosses the line image, yea me thinks they just don't want to like it.

HEAVEN OR HELL
    Duel 1
    Lets ROCK!

• sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 431

Because non grown kids like to whine about everything.

On a side note: spreading China culture made by a US company in China was not the smartest thing to do.

But even there the sub losses have nothing to do with a "lore" setting.

As WOW is paid by the minute played in China and F2P is ... well free over there.

So as Always : the economical reason is the only one to look at for changing subscriptions.

Originally posted by UNATCOII

About 600 of them.

Haters gonna hate.

Cost cutting.

Yeah but that's still money talk...And they're still non-essential anyways. Tickets get solved, just not instantly. I'm still looking for the reason that Pandaren make WoW such a terrible game, and how they are not suitable for the lore, and how it makes it all "CareBear" and "Childish."

When even Blizzard released the Pandas as an April Fool's joke, it's difficult to treat them as a legit player race. Who wants to roll a joke of a race, even by dev standards, in a game is the thought?

When Blizzard tries to cater it's game for a certain audience of ePeeners, the last thing to do is create a race in the game that was considered a joke. It tailored so finely to go with the Pokemon jokes about MoP.

This is why folks wonder what the heck is going on at Blizzard when they can't connect these dots. It's like 15 year-olds now developng the game. Lacking foresight; maturity; even marketing sense. You don't make a joke of a race and try to sell it to the 15 to 22 year-old market. Heck, not even the 30-40 market. It's toooooo furry.

• Swedish_ChefSwedish_Chef Member Posts: 213

I love people who compare the game to Kung Fu Panda as if it's a bad thing. It immediately tells you who hasn't seen the films & is just judging them based on their aesthetic, much the same way they're judging the Pandaren.

The Kung Fu Panda films are absolutely wonderful, with the sequel actually managing to surpass the original in just about every single way (a rarity in this day & age). They form an extremely well-written, well-acted, and well-animated wuxia tale with elements of Chinese mysticism & philosophy mixed in.

Strangely enough, that's how the Pandaren are portrayed. Their culture, philosophy and history is well-presented & fleshed out wonderfully, and although there's plenty of goofiness to go around it never really feels too out of place. Quite the opposite in fact. Just because they were introduced as a sort of 'joke race' most certainly doesn't mean they remained as such (which anybody who's actually played the game knows they haven't).

Also:

Cow people = Okay (Tauren)

Space squid / goat hybrids = Okay (Draenei)

Fish people who make weird noises = Okay (Murlocs)

Wolf people = Okay (Worgen)

Dead people = Okay (Forsaken)

Walrus people = Okay (Tuskarr)

Hyena people = Okay (Gnolls)

Bug-eared people with purple skin & glowing eyes = Okay (Night Elves)

Bear (not panda) people = Okay (Furbolgs)

Snake people = Okay (Naga)

Horse people = Okay (Centaurs)

Glowy, swirly mummy people = Okay (Ethereals)

Flightless bird people = Okay (Arakkoa)

Bug people = Okay (Klaxxi)

Panda people = OMG THAT'S SO STUPID & KIDDY!!!!

Am I the only one who sees just how silly & arbitrary that argument is?

Originally posted by Swedish_Chef

I love people who compare the game to Kung Fu Panda as if it's a bad thing. It immediately tells you who hasn't seen the films & is just judging them based on their aesthetic, much the same way they're judging the Pandaren.

The Kung Fu Panda films are absolutely wonderful, with the sequel actually managing to surpass the original in just about every single way (a rarity in this day & age). They form an extremely well-written, well-acted, and well-animated wuxia tale with elements of Chinese mysticism & philosophy mixed in.

Strangely enough, that's how the Pandaren are portrayed. Their culture, philosophy and history is well-presented & fleshed out wonderfully, and although there's plenty of goofiness to go around it never really feels too out of place. Quite the opposite in fact. Just because they were introduced as a sort of 'joke race' most certainly doesn't mean they remained as such (which anybody who's actually played the game knows they haven't).

Also:

Cow people = Okay (Tauren)

Space squid / goat hybrids = Okay (Draenei)

Fish people who make weird noises = Okay (Murlocs)

Wolf people = Okay (Worgen)

Dead people = Okay (Forsaken)

Walrus people = Okay (Tuskarr)

Hyena people = Okay (Gnolls)

Bug-eared people with purple skin & glowing eyes = Okay (Night Elves)

Bear (not panda) people = Okay (Furbolgs)

Snake people = Okay (Naga)

Horse people = Okay (Centaurs)

Glowy, swirly mummy people = Okay (Ethereals)

Flightless bird people = Okay (Arakkoa)

Bug people = Okay (Klaxxi)

Panda people = OMG THAT'S SO STUPID & KIDDY!!!!

Am I the only one who sees just how silly & arbitrary that argument is?

What's silly is folks who try to explain this stuff away don't/won't see the problem, even if you did explain it.

The problem with MoP and the pandas is that unlike the other races modeled on fantasy animals or RL animals *itself*, the pandas are modeled after Asians. Not animals itself, Asians as pandas.

When you get past that problem then you face the racial stereotyping and all the ugly racism.

See Blizzard did this before with the Trolls giving them the Black Jamaican accent and all. Pandas as Asians don't settle well, because Asians view Westerners as the barbarians.

Major slap down to a company trying to be hip to sell products, but can't even pass a cultural sensitivity exam with crib notes.

It didn't sell well in China not because of "increased local competition", it's why would you want to play a game that some "colonial oppressor" designed and models your life and culture as takeout food and with terrible broken English? Knights in shining armor from 1200 AD, yes. Pandas that have KKK written on them? No. Even in the West, Asians can look at it just the same, and why they boycott Charlie Chan and other media stereotyping.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    It make perfect sense for pandaren to be asian and come with a chinese feel cus' PANDAS CAN ONLY BE FOUND IN CHINA AND TIBET!  What it would have been better if they had welsh accents?
    Originally posted by expresso
    It make perfect sense for pandaren to be asian and come with a chinese feel cus' PANDAS CAN ONLY BE FOUND IN CHINA AND TIBET!  What it would have been better if they had welsh accents?

So why are they in Azeroth again?

Logic. Logic. LOGIC!

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by sportsfan

On a side note: spreading China culture made by a US company in China was not the smartest thing to do.

As WOW is paid by the minute played in China and F2P is ... well free over there.

So as Always : the economical reason is the only one to look at for changing subscriptions.

The expansion isnt even released in Asia yet.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• GR3NDELGR3NDEL Member UncommonPosts: 112

Okay, I'll admit it - I sniffed and turned up my nose at both Kung Fu Panda and Mists of Pandaria when they were released - the former because the commercials made the movie look absolutely ridiculous (and being voiced by Jack! Black! didn't improve that impression) and the latter because I, like so many unfamiliar with pre-WoW lore, thought to myself 'Pandas?  Really?'

Then a friend of mine who has been doing Chinese Studies at the local university called me.  He needed to take a break, and  wanted to watch some movies with me that would keep him in the Chinese mindset, while being fun and exciting.  'Sure,' I said, thinking he'd want to watch some historical documentaries about the Han Dynasty or something - yes, I enjoy documentaries.  Sue me. :P  Anyway, he surprised me when he said he wanted to watch Kung Fu Panda.   Really?  Pandas who knew Kung Fu?

We sat down to watch the movie and, to be honest, I was really really surprised at the depth of Chinese symbolism that wove its' way into the movie.  He pointed out so many things in that movie that were significant in Chinese mythology, numerology... stuff that I, as a complete novice, would never have known had he not pointed it out.  I was very impressed.  We then watched the sequel, and again, he pointed out the richness of Old China, how it was woven into an exciting plot.

After we finished the movies, and over dinner, we discussed Old Chinese culture and how, to a western audience, much of the symbolism and significance would be lost, which was true - certainly in my case it was.  He then started discussing a similar situation in a video game he was playing.  He went on and on concerning the richness of the storytelling and lore, the symbolism, on and on and on.  He said that a surprising number of his class-mates were playing this game too, and at least one of them had planned to write a thesis on the challenges of translating Old Chinese culture into a video game.  I nodded, impressed by the quality of this game he was describing and asked what game he was playing.

He grinned at me, then nonchalantly said 'Mists of Pandaria'.

...what?  I pretty much just stared at him in shocked silence for about ten seconds.  He pointed out the Panderans had existed in Warcraft lore previously to WoW, and told me he had been extremely impressed with the expansion, both because of the storytelling involved, and how the writers and devs had paid a lot of attention to Chinese culture and mysticism.  However, he pointed out that, despite all this, many folks (like me) would roll their eyes when he mentioned Mists of Pandaria.  'Pandas?  Really?' they'd tell him.  Sounds familiar, right?

So, consider me a WoWMoP convert.  Personally, I enjoy the Worgen most of all, but Pandaria sounds like a pretty amazing place.  I can't wait until my travels take me there. :)

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    we all know that mop was 'attuned' with Chinese lore, and it could be forgiven and indeed enjoyed if the game evolved with it and improved, but it's a mess simply put, it's lost it's own heritage in terms of coherent game play, lore, levelling, balancing issues, depth of skill strategies. When a game speeds you through the very same content you paid for it screams of a lack of direction and confidence in their own product. Check out The big forums like mmo champion to get the true underlying vibe from the player base.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by sportsfan

The expansion isnt even released in Asia yet.

Like MoP's reception and failure in China never occurred, right?

You know all that flap about the Q2 stock report showing Activision-Blizzard's reaction and reasons why it flopped just had nothing to do with China at all.

-_-

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    When I was on about a month ago CS tickets were under 24 hours for a response.

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    People still complaining about BC greens being better than Vanilla Epics. That Dranei's are a playable race, that goblins aren't neutral, that alliance doesn't have high elfs, that panderons are a playable race, that worgans are on the alliance side, that black rock city isn't end game etc.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

Originally posted by Bladestrom
    we all know that mop was 'attuned' with Chinese lore, and it could be forgiven and indeed enjoyed

Ah, no, not with that amount of racial stereotyping and blatant racism.

Dropped like an egg because it was rotten to begin with.

It's like if Blizzard made a blackface (complete with Uncle Tom and Remus) expansion and tried to sell it to Blacks in the US and Africa (Liberia especially).

Blizzard is operating like in the dark ages with blatant racial stereotypes as they're plain ignorant and stupid in that regard.

Where Disney shows how it's done to appeal to Western and Eastern audiences without broken English and other racial put downs.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

i have issues with WoW (specifically.... no talent trees anymore?  wtf? as you can see its been a while since i've played) but, to coin a phrase, a panda ain't one.  people like to pick on a game's art and style, it must be easier on the brain than to pick a real flaw of a game and get into it.

see also: EQN forums.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins