Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This has to be the most polished and best MMO (pre) launch ever!

Comments

• Grimlock426Grimlock426 Member Posts: 159

This isn't my first MMO-Rodeo launch so I kind of knew what to expect.  Is this the worst launch ever...nope!  However, to say it's a smooth launch is very disengenous!  It's had some major problems for a lot of people.

I tried to log in for 2 straight hours Sunday afternoon and kept receiving either the World is full - try again later message, or unable to connect to the NA servers.  The funny thing was that my wife was playing 6 feet away from me on the same server and having no issues.  So right there that shows you, one person smooth...one person horrible.

The world is full message is really horrible as well because it says to try back later, but gives you no way to tell WHEN you should try back.  You're forced to sit at your computer and spam the log-in hoping to get a shot.

Additionally, as many have pointed out, having the instance servers all borked up was a pretty major bug.  It prevented people from completing class quests (me) and thus left us unable to pick up new classes.  That was no minor issue.

Yes when I was able to play the game ran pretty smoothly and it is pretty to look at, but that's not to say there were not major issues for many people.  If I stick with the game for years it won't be a big deal, however I will say it was extremely frustrating this past weekend!

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Originally posted by taus01

So far the only problem i had are a few emergency maintenance windows and a login queue. Something that i expected as every MMO release with massive amounts of players trying to connect will cause issues that are extremely hard to prevent in advance.

The amount of polish this game has beats every other MMO out there, even the ones released for more than a year.

1. NO Missing, Not working, Skills or abilities

2. NO Broken Quests or Missions

3. NO Missing or not working classes or issues with the character creation

4. NO Broken Auction House

5. NO Broken UI, bad translations

6. NO Server crashes or client crashes

7. NO Stuck, glitched, falling through world

8. NO Graphical bugs

So there you have it, all i hear is some bitching about server congestion. If that is really your only problem during the free early access phase which has now been generously extended then you need to maybe find another hobby.

Enjoy the game, i know i will.

Well when you make the game twice I would kind of hope it isn't massively broken the second time. I don't see giving them kudos for releasing crap, accepting it is crap, and then remaking the game.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    This is nowhere close to a success. They are lucky it is pre-launch and not launch time because the servers have been nothing short of a huge mess.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

Bookmarked! Why thank you, /bow

I am sure they feel terrible not being able to log in. I just don't see the rage and entitlement some people seem to have regarding these trivial issues.

What I pointed out was that a few birthing issues with the server load are hardly a big deal looking at the big picture. I think you are reading things into this thread that are not there.

No one is paying yet. This is a freebie early access.

Yes bookmarked because i was actually in support of what you posted earlier. But now i am not so sure. Who is the authority here to decide what issues are 'bigger' and worth ranting on forums? definitely not you. 

So yeah i find it very hypocritical to call people 'brainwashed' and insult them for complaining about launch issues. 

You had a smooth launch? good for you but not everyone is going through same experince here. There right to complain is a valid as yours. 

I did not have a smooth early access (there is no launch yet). I had the same issues, i just do not think they are that all important to mention considering the time i did spend in game outweigh these little annoyances by a million.

I think you are taking things out of context here and still seem to have trouble distinguishing between. "WoSrt Game lauch evaa!" posts and constructive and researched criticism as in my post about GW2.

Let me ask you this. Do you really think that this botched early access is more important than so many of the economical and social issues we have these days?

Anyroad, i am off playing FFXIV now, since it works right now.

The point is that you went on to create a 'most polished and best MMO launch ever!' post, even though it clearly isn't. For what purpose? To counter the negative posts and criticism?

As others have said, there is a lot of hypocrisy going on here. You like the game, no one is going to begrudge you that, but don't try to trivialise others bad experiences just because you don't like to see bad things written about the game. It just makes you look like either a shrill or a vapid fanboy.

• RecklanRecklan Member UncommonPosts: 31
    The server issues aren't pleasing, I am just hopeful it gets fixed soon. Other than that I think the game is pretty fantastic. I plan on playing it for a long time.
  • ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Rohn
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Originally posted by Syno23
    And yet people are still complaining like crazy. It's almost hiserical.

It is but i am not surprised. We live in a society where the only outlet people seem to have is to bitch about unimportant things like game downtimes or iPhones not available at launch, Justin Bieber's new haircut or their favourite TV show being canceled.

All the while their corrupt governments spy on them every day, take half of their money as "taxes" and give it to the Banks and rich, lie to them every day and kill other people in foreign countries most of them can't even point out on a map.

One would think there are bigger issues to get mad about, but the brainwashing seems to be quite effective.

Your experince with game isn't universal for rest of the playerbase.

Talking about 'bigger issues' ..... i guess only you are allowed to rant about things that bother you.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/369483/page/1

So you took the time to dig up a thread that is not enforces my point showing how another MMO dropped the ball on promises and release features backed up with facts and call it a rant. Look, sport, there is a difference between a rant and a fact list of developer quotes and delivered features.

I must say, the length some people go to discredit a post that is based on facts. My advice for you, just let it go.

This game was released in 2010.  It took them 3 years to "polish" it, and it's still having problems.

Gullable the masses are.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    This game has been in development since August 2005.

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

Originally posted by VassagoMael

Bingo

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by Kuppa

Bingo

New engine pretty much means new game.

They re-used a lot of the same art assets, but the core programming change a hell of a lot.

I'm sure that included network code as well.

Game is having really bad server load issues, as in they can't handle the load so players are constantly dropped or denied access.

When the game is up, and the servers aren't full, and are allowing new connections to the instance servers, the game has been pretty much flawless in terms of polish.

I don't think "optimizing" is going to get SE anywhere, hopefully they are dumping more physical hardware into the NA/EU data centers.

Hopefully they smartly ordered said new hardware Saturday with priority overnight shipping for Monday morning, hopefully they are using VM's and SAN structure and have template and replication tools and can bring up the new software pieces for load balancing very quickly after slamming the hardware into the racks.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Bingo

They re-used a lot of the same art assets, but the core programming change a hell of a lot.

Game is having really bad server load issues, as in they can't handle the load so players are constantly dropped or denied access.

When the game is up, and the servers aren't full, and are allowing new connections to the instance servers, the game has been pretty much flawless in terms of polish.

I don't think "optimizing" is going to get SE anywhere, hopefully they are dumping more physical hardware into the NA/EU data centers.

Hopefully they smartly ordered said new hardware Saturday with priority overnight shipping for Monday morning, hopefully they are using VM's and SAN structure and have template and replication tools and can bring up the new software pieces for load balancing very quickly after slamming the hardware into the racks.

Is this really the sort of hardware you buy "off the rack" and have it overnight delivered?  Normal lead times for servers that I'm familiar with take a bit longer, even on priority but perhaps the world of gaming is different.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352
    Originally posted by Mr.Kujo

So far the only problem i had are a few emergency maintenance windows and a login queue. Something that i expected as every MMO release with massive amounts of players trying to connect will cause issues that are extremely hard to prevent in advance.

The amount of polish this game has beats every other MMO out there, even the ones released for more than a year.

8. NO Graphical bugs

So there you have it, all i hear is some bitching about server congestion. If that is really your only problem during the free early access phase which has now been generously extended then you need to maybe find another hobby.

Ye ye ye, every time someone makes a thread going "worst launch ever", there must be someone that will counter it with "best launch ever", because he is affraid he won't be noticed if he just answers in the first thread, and the balance of the force must be maintained. Because a game can't have NORMAL launch it mast be apocalyptic or godly. And the fight goes on like in freaking kindergarten.

This makes you just as bad as the guy who wrote about how bad the launch was.

If you completely don't give a damn about people who have different experience and can't even login to the game and completely don't give a damn about them having different opinion, saying that they are wrong and you know better, then why in the world would you think, that they will care about yours?

I said it multiple times [mod edit]. I HAD THE SAME ISSUES and i still think these are to be expected minor issues for an early access launch considering how good the game actually is. 

Don't try to spin this into me saying they are wrong since i never said that.

Back to the game, i just got all my goodies for collectors/pre-order and i need to ride that Coeurl mount until my taru butt is sore.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

Originally posted by BadSpock

Bingo

Its still not the same as a completely new game. Remember this is their second chance at the same game.

8. NO Graphical bugs

Ye ye ye, every time someone makes a thread going "worst launch ever", there must be someone that will counter it with "best launch ever", because he is affraid he won't be noticed if he just answers in the first thread, and the balance of the force must be maintained. Because a game can't have NORMAL launch it mast be apocalyptic or godly. And the fight goes on like in freaking kindergarten.

If you completely don't give a damn about people who have different experience and can't even login to the game and completely don't give a damn about them having different opinion, saying that they are wrong and you know better, then why in the world would you think, that they will care about yours?

I said it multiple times and you need to learn how to read. I HAD THE SAME ISSUES and i still think these are to be expected minor issues for an early access launch considering how good the game actually is. 

Back to the game, i just got all my goodies for collectors/pre-order and i need to ride that Coeurl mount until my taru butt is sore.

The problem here is that these aren't minor issues. Their servers are in very bad shape. If it isn't login issues it's all instancing broken in a game where you sometimes can't progress unless you go into an instance.

• ricardokisricardokis Member UncommonPosts: 5

I started playing in the NA Goblin server, then the problems everyone know about began. I am playing atm in the JP server Ultima. I will continue playing in ultima until problems are resolved.

From a consumer view point they didn´t give the same amount of effort for NA/EU infrastructure as JP. 

From an IT professional view, i understand how big IT projects like those are problematic.

• ZydariZydari Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Are we forgetting that this is actually the second launch of this game and that the first was a miserable failure. I do hope the best for this game but let's not forget how it really went down. I mean they have had a couple years to fix the mistakes they made in the original game they thought was good enough to charge people for. 

Experience demands that man is the only animal which devours his own kind, for I can apply no milder term to the general prey of the rich on the poor.

Thomas Jefferson

• StormXXXStormXXX Member Posts: 48

Sir? You surely jest. It might have been all good for you but, i've only played for 3 hours or so since the early access launch. 

Not because i had no time over the weekend. I actually planned to play for a whole day. But various connectivity issues and maintenances, that keet popping up whenever i tried to create a character or later logging in with it, prevented me from accessing the damn thing.

Game may be nice and polished and all from the first look, but it sure is a b**ch getting in to....

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Originally posted by Roxtarr
    Since I apparently didn't qualify for early access, I can only state this from an observer's perspective. People that I follow that have actually gotten in to play (apparently the minority) have said mostly good things about the game. Although, let's be frank - with all of the time they've had to re-do this game, they have no excuse to be unpolished at this point.

its a whole new game from 1.0 diffreant engine and servers and code it might as well been ff online 14s  sequal 

• Elegance92Elegance92 Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by Raxeon
    Since I apparently didn't qualify for early access, I can only state this from an observer's perspective. People that I follow that have actually gotten in to play (apparently the minority) have said mostly good things about the game. Although, let's be frank - with all of the time they've had to re-do this game, they have no excuse to be unpolished at this point.

its a whole new game from 1.0 diffreant engine and servers and code it might as well been ff online 14s  sequal 

Still doesn't change the fact its their second shot though, most other games probably wouldn't even have a chance at trying twice.

• vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Elegance92
    Originally posted by Raxeon

Still doesn't change the fact its their second shot though, most other games probably wouldn't even have a chance at trying twice.

Most other games wouldn't have the balls to try it twice.  I commend SE for that and it's a great game(completely redone) if you can actually login.

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352
    Originally posted by StormXXX

Sir? You surely jest. It might have been all good for you but, i've only played for 3 hours or so since the early access launch. 

Not because i had no time over the weekend. I actually planned to play for a whole day. But various connectivity issues and maintenances, that keet popping up whenever i tried to create a character or later logging in with it, prevented me from accessing the damn thing.

Game may be nice and polished and all from the first look, but it sure is a b**ch getting in to....

Yupp it is and i never said any different. I had the same exact issues, but i think they are minor in big view. Every MMO launch had these, but all of them also had incomplete content and where unplayable at start or very broken. I don't see anything like that here and that makes me happy.

PS: The Coeurl Mount is a blast! Hold on little Taru! No postFX or AA due to NDA still in effect. This looks even better in game. Much better.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• Carl132pCarl132p Member UncommonPosts: 538

Yupp it is and i never said any different. I had the same exact issues, but i think they are minor in big view. Every MMO launch had these, but all of them also had incomplete content and where unplayable at start or very broken. I don't see anything like that here and that makes me happy.

PS: The Coeurl Mount is a blast! Hold on little Taru!

No, every mmo does not have days of log in issues.

• Mr.KujoMr.Kujo Member Posts: 383

8. NO Graphical bugs

I said it multiple times and you need to learn how to read. I HAD THE SAME ISSUES and i still think these are to be expected minor issues for an early access launch considering how good the game actually is. 

You completely avoided what I said. You made a thread named "This has to be the most polished best MMO pre launch ever", while it is nothing out of ordinary. It has just the same tiny problems, like any other recently released game, maybe with few exceptions. Why glorify it that much?

You saw "worst launch ever", so you had to make "best launch ever", admit it. This is just so childish. The launch is NORMAL, nothing out of ordinary. It should be decent, and it is.

You wrote "If server congestion is your only problem ,you should change hobby". You couldn't put more hostility towards people that criticize the launch. You are saying they are wrong, because their problems aren't as important as they say. If you don't have any problems it doesn't mean the game is fine for the rest of the world. Read some forums, there are bugs. The launch is not bad because of it, it is normal, not "probably the best ever". There were 4 phases to get rid of bugs, the only problem that needed to be done in launch is the server problem, and it wasn't pulled of to well. Especially not in the "probably the best ever" way. Problems with servers are the biggest problems you can encounter during launch, not some bugs, of  broken UI. We are talking about launch.

Now you are showing off how much fun you are having playeing the game, what the hell are you trying to prove here?

• fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Definatly an AAA launch, they have taken care of every problem in under two days, it just amazes me how much people complain during those two days.  Back in the day, a week would have been thought of as horrible, like Age of Conan. 
  • XssivXssiv Member UncommonPosts: 359

8. NO Graphical bugs

I'd take any of the issues you listed over not being able to log in at all.     Plus I'm sure once people are actually able to play the game, the smaller issues (like the ones you listed) will come to light.