Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sad what we accept these days

Comments

• HjorulvHjorulv Member UncommonPosts: 17

There is no reason this should be accepted.  It's pitiful.  I agree that nothing is going to be 100% error free from any business, including MMO games, but that should be a mark still aimed for.  It's launch day and people can't download the game, can't make characters and can't play the game they payed for.  What excuse can SE possibly have for utter failure? And the continued apologies for their failings should be falling on deaf ears.  How many times can you "cry wolf" that the "problem is being looked into" and  have emergency maintenance saying the problem "is resolved"?  All of which really meant that "we further limited the number of people that can play the game"

I've seen people say that they can't find all problems in beta.  No they can't, but they (MMO companies) don't even try.  Is it tough to test server load, how many people can be be in dungeons before the system craps out, or other known problems that games have had going in to launch?  The answer is a big NO.  You can set up any of these situations intentionally with a little work.  ie funnel all logins to a test server; set everyone's level to a certain level with generic class gear and have everyone hit a dungeon at once to test limits there.  These are all things that can and should be done during beta, not after beta is "over"

Companies have now just started the real beta testing at game launch.  It saves a lot of development time and money.  They know the largest profit margin comes from initial sales, so hype the game up and get the sales money in your pocket.  Ship game to retailer before the "beta" period is even over and then have your customers pay for the beta with sub fees, item store purchases etc.  And if the game fails, just repeat the whole thing over and call the game something else, or even use the same name and call it "Reborn" 

• 9Prejudice9Prejudice Member Posts: 30

It's unrealistic to expect perfection during MMO launches. Companies can do everything they can to anticipate issues, but more often than not, there will be unexpected problems that will take time to solve. I'm no expert, but if almost all, if not all, MMO companies experience the same problem, then I'd guess it's part of the process.

Until a company can carry out a launch that's absolutely perfect, I'd say it's acceptable to have minor problems at launch. I don't recall any MMO having perfect launches anyway.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

I'm not invested enough in the game to really get hopping mad about connection issues.  If I end up getting bored of the game I'll move on, no big deal.  I got the game on a whim anyway, since my wife seemed to be enjoying it when she started playing early access.

Perhaps MMO fans, and gamers in general are becoming a bit to fanatical about their pass time. 

Regardless

Not to excuse the issues they are having, its always the goal to not have issues, but I lived through the launch of Anarchy Online and came to love that game, so maybe my expectations are very low for launches in general.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I played for a solid chunk of hours on Saturday, a few hours on Sunday, and played without any problem what so ever all last night.

That is a very fair chunk of early access, plus I got into and played in two of the beta 3 phases and some time in beta 4.

I wasn't able to make a toon on my preferred server, and still can't, but I think I'm just going to adopt the server I'm currently on.

I've played on busy/popular servers for far, far too many MMOs to accept the wait times and issues that comes with it.

They HAVE said, however, that they will be implementing world transfers (I think even free) in mid-September, so once things calm down and level out a bit.

As long as I can put in my PSN code today and have the account management site update to show my CE so I get my CE items, and I get my 30 days, I'll be happy.

Love the game, wait for Santasha as a LNC on Duty Finder was almost an hour last night, need more tanks/heals!

Wait time gives me opportunity to level up a few more classes.

I need to get my CNJ up to 15 and start working on PUG and maybe ARC?

Also want to at least get my LNC high enough first to do enough main story to unlock my Chocobo and join a Grand Company.

Then of course there is crafting/gathering.... so much to do!

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by Kobin04
    I'm not stating I haven't seen this before.  I just simply want to know when this became the acceptable process?

It's acceptable to someone who likes the game.  It's not acceptable to someone who doesn't.  It's always been that way.

These games always have these problems.  Always.  This one's been just as problematic as any other MMO.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829

This became an acceptable process when the process went online. For games before, that were not online, they shipped the final product, and people didn't patch it.

Now, however, the game is online, and can be patched on an hourly basis. People expect to get updates regularly, and a patch a day is not uncommon. This allows the game companies to ship a product that isn't the final product, but just an intermediate version, that will get updated soon.

As for the FFXIV launch, they obviously made a mistake.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904

Please leave the game....delete your characters...that will free up space on the servers!

Every game goes through this and its just the way it is....online server stuff is very complicated and even the smallest thing can throw everything off....

I played all night last night and had a blast...game is one of the best to come out in a LONGGGGG time.

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Before you troll all over this post, take a moment and read it please.  Most of what I'm seeing on MOST forums is something to the likes of....Just give them time, stop whining that you can't play, this is still early release, what MMO's have good releases....etc,etc,etc.  When did we start to accept that we would pay for something and simply not receive this?  When did this mentality begin?  I'll leave you with a simple concept:  Let's say I'm opening a new restaurant.  I put an ad in the paper or online stating whoever want's to pre-pay can come and try my food early.  I then present a menu of the foods those members who have pre-paid can try.  So when I have my first customer, it's probably best I NOT bring them out half of the sandwich or steak that they ordered.  The point I'm getting at is this, that above situation would not be tolerated under any circumstances.  So why because it's a game do we as consumers tolerate this kind of behavior?  Simply because the only alternative is to NOT play?  I'm 1 single customer I realize that and I know they won't care of they lose my business, it just has me thinking; since when was all of this standard?

Because the majority of us realize the actual importance of this..... It is a game. It isn't life critical. It is there to provide a diversion from normal life. The fact that it has issues and that they need to work some bugs out is fine. There are a multitude of other things that I can amuse myself with in the meantime. They are trying to provide a service to hundreds of thousands (if not a million) people who are all trying to log in at the same time all from different places. I would expect there to be bugs. Who wouldn't?  It is impossible to plan for this. It is much like early adopters of new software. There are always bugs. If it irritates you so much then wait a month or two before purchasing a product like this. Let the masses break it in first.

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by NetSage
    When nearly every MMO has messed up launch in some way or some form.  Those saying X game had a perfect launch I guarantee it had problems.  I also guarantee the ones you're probably going to name had tons of server merges shortly after launch.

The longest I was ever unable to play an MMO was one day, that was way back in the days of SWG's launch (server was down for a whole day). I haven't seen any game be unplayable to so many for days ever.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SendenSenden Member UncommonPosts: 602

Don't know how anyone can call this normal for an MMO launch.  At the time of writing, only a single server was allowed to create characters on, every single eu server is locked with no word of when they will be re-opened.. worse still, for those poor people getting home from work, aren't even going to have the luxury of entering a queue for their server. This is actually one of the worst launches I've been apart of.. sure the servers aren't technically crashing but at what cost? Half of the current problems surrounding the servers and getting on could have easily been avoided with some basic common sense like adding an auto kick after being AFK for so long and not carrying forward open beta characters to the live game.  Mistakes happen, servers can be unpredictable but they've done themselves no favours with the way they've ran things so far. 

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by jonesing22
    Anyone who understands how server technology works are the ones saying give them time, they're working on it. 

i noticed those same people only say "give them time, they are working on it" when its a p2p mmo. If it has a different model they bash it to death for being in the same situation.

• NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739
    Originally posted by rojo6934
    Originally posted by jonesing22
    Anyone who understands how server technology works are the ones saying give them time, they're working on it. 

i noticed those same people only say "give them time, they are working on it" when its a p2p mmo. If it has a different model they bash it to death for being in the same situation.

The p2p folks often says: "You get what you pay for"

• EvolvedMonkyEvolvedMonky Member Posts: 549

Im mad but I dont blame SE  its the MMO communities fault. Why the F does everyone have to pre-order every game and rush the server all at the same time. Its not like everyone will be cramming in the game after a week.

Which is why this issue is hard to fix. Unless you want SE to waste money on hardware and after a month piss more people off due to ghost servers. 

We all have to wait till the MMO launch mob moves on.

• EverKing87EverKing87 Member UncommonPosts: 67
    Originally posted by Rufftimes
    Before you troll all over this post, take a moment and read it please.  Most of what I'm seeing on MOST forums is something to the likes of....Just give them time, stop whining that you can't play, this is still early release, what MMO's have good releases....etc,etc,etc.  When did we start to accept that we would pay for something and simply not receive this?  When did this mentality begin?  I'll leave you with a simple concept:  Let's say I'm opening a new restaurant.  I put an ad in the paper or online stating whoever want's to pre-pay can come and try my food early.  I then present a menu of the foods those members who have pre-paid can try.  So when I have my first customer, it's probably best I NOT bring them out half of the sandwich or steak that they ordered.  The point I'm getting at is this, that above situation would not be tolerated under any circumstances.  So why because it's a game do we as consumers tolerate this kind of behavior?  Simply because the only alternative is to NOT play?  I'm 1 single customer I realize that and I know they won't care of they lose my business, it just has me thinking; since when was all of this standard?

I'll answer your question with another question. Which MMO can you think of where you did not read these exact same threads ever at launch?

GW2 near flawless launch. Never crashed, qued, few bugs here and there but nothing game breaking. Also I WAS ABLE TO PLAY IT!!!!!

• KnightblastKnightblast Member UncommonPosts: 1,787

I'm not defending what is happening -- it's a very bad experience for the players.

I do think, however, that it is extremely hard to get an MMO launch right.  It has more to due with a combination of luck and relatively smaller numbers at first which then ramp up.  I really haven't seen any super-popular MMO launch without substantial server problems.

Why does this happen?  It happens because it is extremely hard to estimate the right amount of world servers.  Pre-orders only get you so far, because a lot of people impulse buy a pre-order in the few days before the pre-access period begins, and that's far too late to make additional servers come on line when the pre-access happens.  So inevitably unless you base the server amount on projections rather than actual numbers (like WAR did, more on that in a minute), you're going to end up with an inadequate amount of world servers at the beginning.  

An additional, and perhaps even more critical, factor is that even if you get the number of worlds roughly right for the longer-term play patterns (in terms of the number of characters they can hold given typical Peak Concurrent Users in a stabilized environment), it will still be very inadequate for the launch period, when virtually all the players are playing at the same time, and for longer periods of time than normal -- neither of these applies once the launch period ends, and play times stabilize and spread out as people return to their normal schedules.  

While the first part is a guessing game to some degree, the second part is really difficult to solve.  Sure, a company could have a bunch of pre-configured servers ready to bring on line at the launch to meet the launch demand (and some games have done that), the problem is that (as we saw with WAR, which did it this way) once the launch period dies down, these additional servers become rather quiet, and people begin to get pissed that they are on a "low pop server" (because even a low pop server is busy when everyone on the server is playing for long periods at the same time as during a launch period, but of course that does not last) and begin to loudly demand server mergers and free transfers.  Companies are reluctant to allow that too quickly, because it reeks of "fail" in the MMO world.  So while that approach relieves the launch congestion and allows everyone to play at launch, it also quickly maroons players on lower population, less active servers once that dies down, and in the long term this *also* males players unhappy.

So I guess that the answer, from my perspective, as to why "we accept this" is because when you actually look at the issue properly, you can understand why it keeps happening.  The reason is that there isn't any easy solution that doesn't carry other problems with it.

• JorendoJorendo Member UncommonPosts: 275
    Originally posted by Senden

Don't know how anyone can call this normal for an MMO launch.  At the time of writing, only a single server was allowed to create characters on, every single eu server is locked with no word of when they will be re-opened.. worse still, for those poor people getting home from work, aren't even going to have the luxury of entering a queue for their server. This is actually one of the worst launches I've been apart of.. sure the servers aren't technically crashing but at what cost? Half of the current problems surrounding the servers and getting on could have easily been avoided with some basic common sense like adding an auto kick after being AFK for so long and not carrying forward open beta characters to the live game.  Mistakes happen, servers can be unpredictable but they've done themselves no favours with the way they've ran things so far. 

With this i do agree in a certain extend. I own a 1.0 account, purchased game time yesterday and started the game. This was after work and i was in a queue of only 6 people on the Balmug server. That is no problem. However i wanted to make a new character instead of playing on my existing one and i couldn't join the Balmug server cause it was not accepting new characters, nor where any of the EU and NA servers.

When i wrote my other post i was commenting to the queue and such, i didn't know they pretty much locked every server off. How can friends play together when one had the 1.0 so got their characters on a server already and invited friends over who are new to the game? Or how can people even play on any server when they lock them all down O.o This is weird indeed. I guess it has to do with the reason i mentioned in my own post that they don't want countless of dead servers after the first month, but yeah with a sub i can understand people getting angry they can't join servers at all, or at best can pick one or two servers. But if you have friends on another server you are screwed.

This is the only thing i do find a flaw of the launch. The other problems like queues is something you can expect from a MMO launch. Though it would defenly help if SE would add a AFK kicker cause people don't logoff anymore but just go afk for hours.

• Snowdon_CloudripperSnowdon_Cloudripper Member CommonPosts: 584

You want the truth with people these days . I will tell you . People these days under the age of 30 are ENTITLED or think there entitled to every damn thing and there not so because there parent brought them up as some kind of magic rainbow they think they can have anything and everything and will have a hissy fit if they can not . They think there special . These are the same group of people who got trophiess for being in last place . WTF go earn something and stop whining . 

JUST my opinion of MOST people under 30 not all people but a great deal of them . 

http://absoluteretribution.enjin.com/ Guild Website and Recruitment link

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Snowdon_Cloudripper

You want the truth with people these days . I will tell you . People these days under the age of 30 are ENTITLED or think there entitled to every damn thing and there not so because there parent brought them up as some kind of magic rainbow they think they can have anything and everything and will have a hissy fit if they can not . They think there special . These are the same group of people who got trophiess for being in last place . WTF go earn something and stop whining . 

JUST my opinion of MOST people under 30 not all people but a great deal of them . 

I disagree I find the older I get the more I expect for my buck and the less BS I put up with, I don't have the patience for launch time any more. I'll just stick to playing what I've got, currently that is NWN2 again. FFXIV I'll see ya in about two months :).

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• JorendoJorendo Member UncommonPosts: 275
    Originally posted by Snowdon_Cloudripper

That is hardly their fault. Its how generations been raised, in good times where everything was at hand in the western worlds. Can't blame the generation for it. Should look at the 30+ people who raised these kids, they failed in learning their kids patience and not to give them everything they wanted. My parents never gave me just anything i wanted when i wanted it. I often didn't get the toys i wanted and i could shout what ever i wanted in a toy-store i wouldn't get the toy. Maybe at my birthday or some special day but defenitly not when ever it suited me. And when i turned 16, the legal age to have a job in my country they stopped giving me money and said "if you want money you go get yourself a part time job". They learned me that you have to work to get what you want.

I do agree there is a lot of whining about things that people could have known. But i would say its more the current generation of gamers who complain about that (16 - 24 and many of the people who entered the game scene after it became a hot thing to do to play games like the CoD kiddies who are often 25+). Many people where like 8 years old when WoW came out. When WoW came out the MMORPG's became the hot genre to play on the PC and many MMORPG's had launch issues. Those of us who where there got used to it and understand why it is as it is. Only a few had a rather smooth launch. But many of the current generation of gamers didn't had the age to play many MMO's in the last 8 years let alone know how it went before WoW. And many gamers think they have a good understanding how things work but forget that in times of extremes it doesn't work like that, and a  launch week of a MMORPG is such a extreme. Those who had a smooth run often locked out a great deal of players by locking down the sales or registration process so only the pre orders can play. And everyone should know by now that Early access is often the most busy time, cause everyone goes to pre order their games these days for all the bonus content you get and want that extra few days of a headstart. But often by the time a game goes into retail the server issues been fixed (FF14 is another story atm).

That said, there are some legit whines. That you can't create a character cause all servers are full for example. You find that out after you edited your character. It also means the meter is already running of your subscription. I don't think they should add more servers, but it is weird that most of the time you can't create any character on any EU/NA server. It will be sorted out soon and people should have a bit of patience before shouting the game has failed already. But i can understand the frustration when you can't create any character on a server or can't join your friends server cause they are full already (before the game even went retail, my own server for example already was full during the beta).

Signed a 29 year old gamer.

• pkpsangriapkpsangria Member Posts: 8

I suggest you stick with offline-games from here on out. You'd save yourself from a lot of unforeseen frustration in the future. And I don't know if anyone ever told you this but patience is one of many but a very important trait of becoming an adult.

• RewhymoRewhymo Member Posts: 53

im kinda lucky that i dont have to deal with these issue. My laptop is busted. So i have to wait 2 months before im in game. more then likely the issues are going to be delt with. 

if you want to complain about an mmos not so amazing lunch then print a resume and get a job with them and do the work yourself. Complain will get you Shit. you will get no where with your whining and moaning. 

these guys spent 2 years rebuilding this game because they made a mistake...... they fucked up hard the first time and lost alot of money. Instead of saying okay drop the project, like so many other MMOs did they said lets spend more time and money rebuild it and try again. 

This doesnt mean they are going to be able to make it perfect. They created a wonderful, esthetically amazing game and we, the consumers, are pissing all over their work simply cause on fuck no you cant log in oh the world is ending its fucking over you spent 40 bucks on a game and the world is coming to a fucking screeching halt cause you cant get your hard on from creating that female character of yours. 

Grow up its just a fucking game. If you cant handle their being issues in MMOs on launch do pre-order them anymore. If MMO history has taught us anything is that none launch perfectly. Some might run smoothly but there are underlying issues some games more then others. you have options available to you.

• zevianzevian Member UncommonPosts: 403

I dont buy online games on release for a reason.

Diablo 3 and SimCity are the most recent that come to mind.   All MMo's ive played have been this way at  launch.   Wait a week or Two the beginning areas will empty out some the queues will die some and youll be a lot better off for it.

• LissylLissyl Member UncommonPosts: 271

It's acceptable because the only effort we're putting into this entire endeavor, from beginning to end, is to sit in front of a screen and move our fingertips.  It's acceptable because SE will make it right, and anyone who doubts that should realize that the very game they are complaining about is -proof- of that.

People should be happy about the server log-ins.  Don't get me wrong, I realize they're annoying...but it also means you're going to have a full world with a lot of players instead of something that will be merging servers in 6 weeks.  It means the nearly-impossible -- recreating an MMO still in operation -- has been not only achieved, but achieved with astounding promise.  In the grand scheme of things, what is a week?  SE already extended credit time for the EA period itself -- something I personally never thought they would do.  If they were willing to do that for a non-paid preorder bonus, I'm certain they'll do it for when people are being forced to wait their free sub days.  Its in their nature.

There is a cultural divide between SE and many of us that shows itself sometimes (like in how they think their account system is perfectly reasonable, and we find it to be obnoxiously confusing?), but the drive for corporate success will work to our benefit on this one.  I'm sure of it.

And that makes it perfectly acceptable.

• deathangelldeathangell Member CommonPosts: 85
    I mean really all you did was pay for the box which many people have done for ages even on box top games. Shit u pay for console games whos content can be finished in a month. 60Bucks for most new consule games who have less content. or less then 50bucks for a game u cant play all that often or struggle to play  when u want on release. It is still free for the next 30 days for most people and there working on solving the issues. I do agree and the issues there having are really issues that can be solved with things like a afk feature or a report someone afk feature in which if there idol they get logged out. This would at lease force people to run into walls or something to not be marked as semi inactive.
  • Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

how many resturants have you bene at for opening day, most of the time it insane, people don't have a pattern oreder are getting wrong, and just about everything that can go wrong will, its like a curse.

nothing works right off the bat and there are always unexpected circumstances, in this they got about 3-4 times the amount of people they where expecting, that is the whole route of the problem here, we are not talking server failures glitchs and bugs we are talking simple pure over flow of the systems capacity and they are rushing to increase it while at the same time, fix the standard launch bugs.

and before yall go saying they should have expected it the numbers from open beta did not reflect this, cause this didn't happen during open beta.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.