Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Underwater swimming?

2»

Comments

• Darknessguy64Darknessguy64 Member Posts: 233
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Originally posted by umcorian

I can't think of anything more immersion breaking than not being able to go underwater while you're swimming. 

Swimming in a full set of armor comes to mind.

Haha +1

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519

I can't think of anything more immersion breaking than not being able to go underwater while you're swimming.

True.

In that case, you should go straight to the bottom... TESO fails us both. ;) 

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

No, I'm thinking that swimming in a full set of armor would lead one to be quite immersed.

• otacuotacu Member UncommonPosts: 547

Floating in a full set would be better

• ZagaZaga Member Posts: 23

The ability to swim underwater has been in Elder Scrolls games since forever.

Hence, there will probably be no underwater swimming in ESO.

Zenimax would probably say "it's too complicated for an MMO".

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    I'm sure the game will support underwater swimming and combat, after all it is a P2P game.  Exciting times it is, for the sub based model to really show off what it can do!

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• oldboygameroldboygamer Member Posts: 139
    Originally posted by eyelolled
    I'm sure the game will support underwater swimming and combat, after all it is a P2P game.  Exciting times it is, for the sub based model to really show off what it can do!

What like make subbers pay more for an extra race? Underwater swimming will probably be another $10 on top of your sub.

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    Originally posted by gestalt11
    Originally posted by Flyte27
    Originally posted by gestalt11

Look, honestly, anyone who swims in armor should drown horribly above or below the water line.

I think underwater to some degree in fun in a general sense, so is flying.  But seriously even wearing robes is a serious problem and leather armor would probaby kill you and metal armor is a death sentence in water.

This is a fantasy game where people are using magic spells.  Without the aid of modern technology underwater exploration would be very limited in real life.  In a fantasy game I don't see how it really matters if wearing heavy armor limits weather you can swim or not.  It's more of a personal choice or opinion.  I'd rather see it in games as I like underwater exploration and dungeons to an extent.  I also enjoy being able to levitate and walk in the air, run faster, turn into different creatures, and things of that general nature that would be considered more utility type things. 

Yes I very much enjoy the movement powers in say DCUO.  Super speed especially is very fun in that when you run straight up a building and jump at precisely the right time, you can completely sky like a guy doing motocross.

But see this stuff is designed into the game.  TES games often have a water breathing spell.  But even with that, when you wear heavy armor you should sink and walk in the bottom and only be able to get out by walking up a slope to shore.

At least if you want to do it in a high quality manner.  If we want to be honest with ourselves most underwater stuff in almost ALL games  is really quite low quality.

I am not saying don't have it in.  I am just for those of you who do want it in, you should really start thinking about how cooler it really could be rather than water=levitate with breath meter.  That was fine for games from 20 years ago.  I submit to you its not so fine now.

Not to say water breathing couldn't be something better, but you don't give any example and instead it's skipped altogether.  Having weapons and armor is an old mechanic.  Maybe we should skip that as well because it was in old school games.

Originally posted by Dewguy79
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf

I was disappointed to NOT find the feature in the game.

This is a AAA title with a subscription. Zenimax chose to raise the expectation bar with a  required subscription.

They did, this is just not a priority for them or their target audience.  There is a reason we are getting these nitpicking complaints. Most of the other major complaints have been put to rest.  So for the next 3 months we will get complaints like this.  Granted it be a nice feature to have but definitely not something to cry over.  

Don't you think it shows a lack of ambition though, that they can't be bothered to put in a feature that much older and simpler mmos already have? It makes me worry what else they decide to leave out. They have a massive advantage with a sub model. Where is all that money going if not into the game?

• DaveyColeDaveyCole Member Posts: 85
    What I find discouraging is that people find this acceptable. What is equally discouraging is that people's only concern his how it would relate to combat and PVP. There was a world of possibilities that the realm beneath the waves brought the Elder Scrolls series. You could explore sunken ruins. You could dive for treasure. You could collect underwater resources. It gives utility spells a reason to exist!
  • rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

No, I'm thinking that swimming in a full set of armor would lead one to be quite immersed.

This guy... this guy wins the thread.

Originally posted by DaveyCole
    What I find discouraging is that people find this acceptable. What is equally discouraging is that people's only concern his how it would relate to combat and PVP. There was a world of possibilities that the realm beneath the waves brought the Elder Scrolls series. You could explore sunken ruins. You could dive for treasure. You could collect underwater resources. It gives utility spells a reason to exist!

I agree, plus it adds to the immersive quality of the game. In an mmorpg I'd have said underwater swimming is a priority, the same as being able to sit down and use a variety of emotes. In terms of gameplay it's meaningless, but in terms of feeling part of the world it's essential.

• otacuotacu Member UncommonPosts: 547
    ESO has other priorities than freedom and exploration
  • CalkrowCalkrow Member UncommonPosts: 92
    Originally posted by Kuanshu

Why aren't there any questions concerning this in interviews?

This was discussed in a thread about a week ago.

Here on mmorpg.com Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn is one of (sometimes even the) top rated released game.  Yet you can't even swim let alone go underwater in FFXIV:ARR.

So it's a limitation, either get over it or play something else.

Forum Post count does not = Game Intelligence or Knowledge  it just shows how often people like to talk.
  • TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Just one of the many let downs in this game. 
  • Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574

I had a few thoughts on some comments in this thread.

Even if you were wearing heavy armor and sank to the bottom if you cast a water breathing spell theoretically you could walk at the bottom of the ocean until you got to land.

Other Elder Scrolls games had swimming in heavy armor did it ruin the game for you?

Does casting magic spells ruin the immersion for you?  It is unrealistic and can only exist in a fantasy setting.

I believe this is something many people would like to see added at some point.  I don't think people are saying I won't play the game because it isn't there.  It just something to bring to their attention.