Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Servers locked... again?!

123457»

Comments

• Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418
    Gilgamesh was just open if that's the one you're waiting for.
  • LugorsLugors Member UncommonPosts: 184

Recent MMO experience has made this problem worse.  Because of the huge start days, and the crash and burn that follows, finding a server that will have a critical mass of population to make the experience worthwhile is essential.  You truly are better off with a que than an empty server.  Not that we have the patience for it, but you should wait a month and see which servers survive the initial month of game time.

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Originally posted by Alberel
    Originally posted by winter
    Originally posted by Aldous.Huxley

There is no reason. They have login queues so any issues relating to having too many characters on a server are solved by that alone.

The official statement from SE is that it's to reduce congestion in starting areas... but Moogle was already locked before the servers went live so I find it hard to believe the starting zones are congested at all.

You could be right. They're probably just doing it to mess with you.

Ok then, explain why no other game ever has to do this? I can think of no reason why they should NEED to lock servers like this if they have server queues.

Humm maybe because games with constant hour+ long server queues tend to get bad  reps?

But as already explained they are just doing this to mess with you. best learn to deal with it or find a new game. Sadly sometimes in life we can't always get what we want right when we want it.

You seem to be missing the part where I paid for it... I already had a 1.0 CE so I literally only bought a new copy for the early access.

Also those hour long queues acted as the same deterrent the locked servers currently do here. The only difference is those of us affected have no ETA on when we'll get to play and those of you unaffected can belittle us because if it's fine for you it doesn't matter if other people have problems. You'd be singing a different tune if you were locked out of the server your friends were on.

The real point I would say is you are talking on a matter that you really don't understand. I seriously doubt you've A) ever worked on a MMO or B) Have any sort of Network certifications. Saying game A did it so why doesn't game B is silly. As someone said earlier if you had planned properly, did some research. This wouldn't even be a problem.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121
    Originally posted by Roin
    Originally posted by winter
    Originally posted by Aldous.Huxley

There is no reason. They have login queues so any issues relating to having too many characters on a server are solved by that alone.

The official statement from SE is that it's to reduce congestion in starting areas... but Moogle was already locked before the servers went live so I find it hard to believe the starting zones are congested at all.

You could be right. They're probably just doing it to mess with you.

Ok then, explain why no other game ever has to do this? I can think of no reason why they should NEED to lock servers like this if they have server queues.

Humm maybe because games with constant hour+ long server queues tend to get bad  reps?

But as already explained they are just doing this to mess with you. best learn to deal with it or find a new game. Sadly sometimes in life we can't always get what we want right when we want it.

You seem to be missing the part where I paid for it... I already had a 1.0 CE so I literally only bought a new copy for the early access.

Also those hour long queues acted as the same deterrent the locked servers currently do here. The only difference is those of us affected have no ETA on when we'll get to play and those of you unaffected can belittle us because if it's fine for you it doesn't matter if other people have problems. You'd be singing a different tune if you were locked out of the server your friends were on.

The real point I would say is you are talking on a matter that you really don't understand. I seriously doubt you've A) ever worked on a MMO or B) Have any sort of Network certifications. Saying game A did it so why doesn't game B is silly. As someone said earlier if you had planned properly, did some research. This wouldn't even be a problem.

And if you'd bothered to read my previous posts you wouldn't need me to explain for the 5th time that I did all the research necessary and was hit with the errors last weekend that prevented me from getting in. Meanwhile my friends got in fine and and hit the 20 cap on a bunch of classes making it very difficult for them to simply reroll on a different server. There was no way to predict Moogle suddenly becoming the most popular server this weekend. What research would you have me do to predict the future?

As for you criticising my knowledge of MMOs and networks... the purpose of the server queue and server locks has more to do with psychology than technical knowledge. The queue's purpose is to both control players joining a server to prevent overloading whilst simultaneously deterring new players from joining said server (because they'll have to wait a long time). The server lock is in place to deter players joining the new servers and instead joining a lower pop one (as indicated by SE's official statement on it). My point is that there are a LOT of players who are locked out of the servers their friends are already on, and in mine and many others' cases those friends started last week and are not in a position to re-roll.

I honestly suggest YOU do some research by reading the thread before throwing out wild accusations and insults.