Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Servers locked... again?!

Comments

• XaradasXaradas Member Posts: 37
    Never been so glad that I'm at work right now, SE can iron out the launch day hiccups and I can play later tonight when it calms down abit....such a win win.
  • gorro187gorro187 Member UncommonPosts: 234
    Wow server's just come up from matenience and Gilgamesh is still locked....
  • SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743
    Originally posted by vidiotking
    Searias... your pc is sick

Thanks, but Intel released the I7 4770k like month after I bought my processor, lol.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• vidiotkingvidiotking Member Posts: 587
    Originally posted by gorro187
    Wow server's just come up from matenience and Gilgamesh is still locked....

Gilgamesh has over 35% of the total player  population on it. It should be locked.

Originally posted by Searias
    Searias... your pc is sick

Thanks, but Intel released the I7 4770k like month after I bought my processor, lol.

Pa-Leez. I have an e8400 and a 560ti.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Alberel
    Originally posted by cheyane
    Can't you exercise some patience ? They might give free transfers later if you seriously cannot deal with  launch woes then  don't play at launch .Wait for a week it will probably be much better then.

If it were a case of server downtime or something unforseen I would be more patient.

The fact is though someone at SE is choosing to lock these servers with the intent to encourage players to roll on other worlds. They seem to be missing the fact that a lot of us will not roll elsewhere though as we already have friends on the locked worlds.

This isn't a bug, or glitch, or server crash... it's a really bad method of population control that is pissing off a lot of people who want to play with their friends.

Why are all these people trying to get on one or two of the most populated servers? If you want to play together you need to make sure you can, that isn't on the dev team.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Can't you exercise some patience ? They might give free transfers later if you seriously cannot deal with  launch woes then  don't play at launch .Wait for a week it will probably be much better then.

If it were a case of server downtime or something unforseen I would be more patient.

The fact is though someone at SE is choosing to lock these servers with the intent to encourage players to roll on other worlds. They seem to be missing the fact that a lot of us will not roll elsewhere though as we already have friends on the locked worlds.

This isn't a bug, or glitch, or server crash... it's a really bad method of population control that is pissing off a lot of people who want to play with their friends.

Why are all these people trying to get on one or two of the most populated servers? If you want to play together you need to make sure you can, that isn't on the dev team.

I dunno, it's where all the cool kids hang out?  Better server name?  Hard to say, but in this case the OP is just trying to join his friends who already on one of these servers.

Hope he has/had some better luck this afternoon, must be frustrating to be locked out.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran

I dunno, it's where all the cool kids hang out?  Better server name?  Hard to say, but in this case the OP is just trying to join his friends who already on one of these servers.

Hope he has/had some better luck this afternoon, must be frustrating to be locked out.

Well I'm sure there's a violin playing somewhere on his behalf, again though this happens at every release, people never learn that it's on them as a group to pick a server that's not over-populated where they can fit, the dev team has no way of knowing how many are trying to play together.

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121

Friends started last weekend during beta phase 4. At that time we had no way of knowing which servers were the most popular. The UK players had chosen Moogle as their unofficial server and each of the other language groups had chosen the others (there aren't very many servers allocated to the EU). It seemed like a pretty even distribution.

As of THIS weekend Moogle is the highest pop EU server. My friends each already had multiple classes at 20 so it's a lot of time lost to them if they re-roll elsewhere. I don't really have much choice but to wait.

I understand what the devs are trying to do but they also don't appear to have considered that a lot of players only have one server they can play on if they want to join their friends...

Friends started last weekend during beta phase 4. At that time we had no way of knowing which servers were the most popular. The UK players had chosen Moogle as their unofficial server and each of the other language groups had chosen the others (there aren't very many servers allocated to the EU). It seemed like a pretty even distribution.

As of THIS weekend Moogle is the highest pop EU server. My friends each already had multiple classes at 20 so it's a lot of time lost to them if they re-roll elsewhere. I don't really have much choice but to wait.

I understand what the devs are trying to do but they also don't appear to have considered that a lot of players only have one server they can play on if they want to join their friends...

They should have done what SWTOR did (it's really the only way to resolve such an issue, on the dev side). They had a system early on setup for guilds and groups to sign up together, at launch they were automatically assigned a server. All you had to do was type in your guild tag (for approval on the guild list).

Without a system like that it is on the players to decide on a good fit for them where they can play, I know during the rush of launch it's hard to think about these things.

• Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418

You should just cancel & be done with it. It's obvious this company is letting you down & it's

a very emotional experience for you. You shouldn't have to put up with it. Cancel your order

& hit them where it hurts, that'll show them that you mean business. I feel for you, but it

seems to be the only solution that will give you closure.

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Gorilla
    Originally posted by kitarad
    Overflow and queue does not work if they want to force you to another server which is part of population control. Naturally I would not implement that if I want people to relocate.

Indeed. And that is the crux of the matter, it has nothing to do with performance issues or crowding in starter areas,  it is SE using a rather blunt instrument to force players on to other servers to try to balance the population longer term. Giving free transfers for a short period of time after launch would be a better solution, things would balance out naturally then.

Yes. Another reasonable voice.

SE should give FREE server transfers to SELECT servers shortly after launch.

Will they??

You're paying for a service.  You shouldn't have to pay for server transfers at all.  Trion offers server transfers as part of their service and they still do even after the game is sub-free.  Squeenix should do the same.  It would defuse a lot of the angst and frustration.  People paid for a game and want to play with their friends. If they really valued the honor and integrity of their name they would do something like this.

/agree. Based on what they've done w/ FFXIV so far, you'd think they would.

Originally posted by Aldous.Huxley

You should just cancel & be done with it. It's obvious this company is letting you down & it's

a very emotional experience for you. You shouldn't have to put up with it. Cancel your order

& hit them where it hurts, that'll show them that you mean business. I feel for you, but it

seems to be the only solution that will give you closure.

I have no intention of cancelling. The game itself is fantastic from what I played in previous betas. It is just their managing of the population that is frustrating me. If I have to wait, I will wait, but that doesn't mean I can't voice my opinion on it being a terrible system.

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

The server name is "Moogle", a VERY well known name associated with the FF world. Of course it is going to be overpopulated. Plus a whole country got together and chose it to roll on (unofficially but still). How could you not know it would be packed to the brim?

I feel for you but you can't be surprised. SE seems to be a pretty upstanding company so I'm sure they will allow free transfers in the near future. You can then all transfer off Moogle and go somewhere less populated. Though their is a risk (actually a big, almost certain one) that whatever server you transfer to will shrivel up and die because some people are like lemmings and will flock to high populated servers with fancy names, like Moogle, even though it is overcrowded. Your last sentence of your second paragraph is your best bet honestly.

My guild, Grievance, choose to roll on a server that most can't even spell, much less want to play on! Pops are high it seems (My only character is lvl 15) but no fear of lockouts it seems.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

Originally posted by bartoni33

The server name is "Moogle", a VERY well known name associated with the FF world. Of course it is going to be overpopulated. Plus a whole country got together and chose it to roll on (unofficially but still). How could you not know it would be packed to the brim?

I feel for you but you can't be surprised. SE seems to be a pretty upstanding company so I'm sure they will allow free transfers in the near future. You can then all transfer off Moogle and go somewhere less populated. Though their is a risk (actually a big, almost certain one) that whatever server you transfer to will shrivel up and die because some people are like lemmings and will flock to high populated servers with fancy names, like Moogle, even though it is overcrowded. Your last sentence of your second paragraph is your best bet honestly.

My guild, Grievance, choose to roll on a server that most can't even spell, much less want to play on! Pops are high it seems (My only character is lvl 15) but no fear of lockouts it seems.

If history was any indication many would assume Moogle to be lower pop based purely on the fact that Moogles aren't as 'cool' as say Odin. The other servers were also claimed by other language communities. The French are all on one, the Germans are all on another, the Italians on another... there was nothing to indicate Moogle was to be any more populated than the others.

I'm going to give it until the quiet this evening when everyone's in bed. If Moogle doesn't open then it makes it clear SE are not locking it for the reasons they've stated... I'll roll elsewhere.

SE should only allow transfers to low pop servers....
  • XaradasXaradas Member Posts: 37

Quote for Truth.

• LeGrosGamerLeGrosGamer Member UncommonPosts: 223
    lol, long long ago have I stopped worrying about early access on a MMO.  I just wait for the official release and buy it in store. A lot less drama for me that way, but I do enjoy reading others drama. The joy of seeing people suffer for not being able to log in before everyone else 3 days before launch... ahhh so refreshing! image    Anyways, see y'all Tuesday when the game really goes live! image
  • bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

That would be the smartest thing to do. SE seems to be pretty smart, although their websites and how they (don't) work say otherwise.

To OP: I know the first 15 levels at least suck to high heaven but you might want to consider rolling on another server if you cannot wait to play. I personally could not level up another character again but YMMV. My Pugilist is lvl 15 and I'm just now starting to enjoy the leveling process. I dread leveling Lancer to 15 so I can level Monk to whatever.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

Your point is a valid one.

However, what do you expect SE to do? They can't just let an unlimited number  of people on some servers...

I'm guessing they will have to allow server transfers at some point.

Hoping anyway.

Cool technology like guesting would be nice. Or limit servers to accounts and not characters. 

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

That would be the smartest thing to do. SE seems to be pretty smart, although their websites and how they (don't) work say otherwise.

To OP: I know the first 15 levels at least suck to high heaven but you might want to consider rolling on another server if you cannot wait to play. I personally could not level up another character again but YMMV. My Pugilist is lvl 15 and I'm just now starting to enjoy the leveling process. I dread leveling Lancer to 15 so I can level Monk to whatever.

My biggest problem with the game, from beta I dread playing this game cause its so boring from 1 to 15. On the boat, that pirate thing, there was squares chance to pump up the action. Really final fantasy up the game (in every final fantasy something big and amazing happens in the beginning pretty much since the 1st one) but nope the pirates just sail away. It's almost a metaphore for the first 15 levels, no fun until we say so. 

• The_emberThe_ember Member UncommonPosts: 56

If history was any indication many would assume Moogle to be lower pop based purely on the fact that Moogles aren't as 'cool' as say Odin. The other servers were also claimed by other language communities. The French are all on one, the Germans are all on another, the Italians on another... there was nothing to indicate Moogle was to be any more populated than the others.

I'm going to give it until the quiet this evening when everyone's in bed. If Moogle doesn't open then it makes it clear SE are not locking it for the reasons they've stated... I'll roll elsewhere.

Just as a point, and purely subjectively, but everything I've read and seen and heard from people in game and on various forums suggests that whilst Moogle was the initial choice for UK players it very quickly got switched to Odin due to population issues and a large French presence on Moogle.

This is coming from a few people who my LS (on Odin) who rerolled for this reason and the ffxivrealm forums.

Why people "call" unofficial servers though I'll never know.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

There is no reason. They have login queues so any issues relating to having too many characters on a server are solved by that alone.

The official statement from SE is that it's to reduce congestion in starting areas... but Moogle was already locked before the servers went live so I find it hard to believe the starting zones are congested at all.

You could be right. They're probably just doing it to mess with you.

Ok then, explain why no other game ever has to do this? I can think of no reason why they should NEED to lock servers like this if they have server queues.

Humm maybe because games with constant hour+ long server queues tend to get bad  reps?

But as already explained they are just doing this to mess with you. best learn to deal with it or find a new game. Sadly sometimes in life we can't always get what we want right when we want it.

I have a friend who's trying to get on Behemouth so he can play with me... it's not happening.
    Originally posted by winter

There is no reason. They have login queues so any issues relating to having too many characters on a server are solved by that alone.

The official statement from SE is that it's to reduce congestion in starting areas... but Moogle was already locked before the servers went live so I find it hard to believe the starting zones are congested at all.

You could be right. They're probably just doing it to mess with you.

Ok then, explain why no other game ever has to do this? I can think of no reason why they should NEED to lock servers like this if they have server queues.

Humm maybe because games with constant hour+ long server queues tend to get bad  reps?

But as already explained they are just doing this to mess with you. best learn to deal with it or find a new game. Sadly sometimes in life we can't always get what we want right when we want it.

You seem to be missing the part where I paid for it... I already had a 1.0 CE so I literally only bought a new copy for the early access.

Also those hour long queues acted as the same deterrent the locked servers currently do here. The only difference is those of us affected have no ETA on when we'll get to play and those of you unaffected can belittle us because if it's fine for you it doesn't matter if other people have problems. You'd be singing a different tune if you were locked out of the server your friends were on.