Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Servers locked... again?!

Comments

• vidiotkingvidiotking Member Posts: 587

without knowing ALL the facts, we can't know who is to blame and to what extent.

Certainly SE and players are to blame in whatever proportion.

Procrastination happens for many reasons. Some people have A.D.D. others have performance anxiety, some are poor planners and others are just lazy. Maybe procrastination isn't to blame. Maybe it's prior, more pressing engements. Who knows.

All I'm saying is.... show a little humanity. 

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,875
    There are many ,many people who simply insist on playing on a particular server and some not saying you are OP so do not get your knickers in a twist lie about friends and guildmates to lend validity to their claim to a server. I can understand SE's point of view too they want to spread out the population and not have a couple of servers being over full so yes they are exercising population control.... So deal with it. Wait or come back after a few hours no one asked you to sit there refreshing the list so anything happening is completely your fault.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • describabledescribable Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Originally posted by MangaMaiden

We are all in the same boat! But to be honest people need to get off the computers if they have already been playing 5 hours straight... just go outside.. have food.. play another game?

I'm quite happy with everything so far and I am only level 7 in one class. There is no need for rush, the game will still be there.

Pretty much, i'm trying to play the new xcom game, which is... an awful game with the dialogue choices not matching what the person says and.. it's just really bad...  (so glad i got every other xcom game free with it)

but it's a welcome distraction to this.... then i'll eat... watch some tv, catch up with my older brother... quick nap

then i can play at night when everyones too tired after watching a server list never updating or gone to bed defeated

"nothing actually matters, we're just slightly evolved monkeys clinging to a dying piece of rock hurtling through space waiting for our eventual death." - Frankie Boyle, Mock The Week

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Oh I'm fully aware of what the OP is going through. But it doesn't make it SE's fault because the OP procrastinated through the multiple chances they had to create a character on the same server as their friends. I also believe that I told them how they could find a solution. Whether or not they want to listen to me is their own ignorance.

Some servers came up locked and stayed locked. Moogle for example. Mind you I hear Moogle was locked for most of beta 4 too (hearsay only). Ironically as that server has been locked since it came up it is pretty safe to assume that the starting areas are less populated than other servers.

Actually it does make it there fault. If they had emailed users saying "you will need to create a character in beta 4 to ensure that you can play on the server you would like" that would have helped (though far from ideal). Of course they could have implemented technological solutions to deal with it (like ArenaNet did for example). In any case to blame the customer for not sitting up all night or for taking too long to roll there character is not only completely fallacious it really rather odious.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • JoekraJoekra Member Posts: 182
    Originally posted by Joekra
    Originally posted by Gorilla
    Originally posted by vidiotking
    Some people have NO compasion. No wonder the world is in such a state.

Yup they'd rather kick a guy while he is down than have the slightest hint of criticism levelled at their beloved game. 

Either have a little compassion with him or with hundreds of players who lag and crash because they opened the servers to everybody without restrictions and they overfilled.

There are several restrictions in place. There's the maximum server capacity for players being able to play online at a single period in time and it seems as though SE is also trying to balance the games population so that the servers are equally filled across the board.

You might want to re-read that. I am aware of restrictions in place.

So I'm reading what you stated, "they opened the servers to everybody without restrictions and they overfilled." However I stated that there were restrictions in place. How did I incorrectly read your post since you state there were no restrictions?

The second part was a hypothetical scenario as opposed to the current about which OP complains. 

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121

Yup they'd rather kick a guy while he is down than have the slightest hint of criticism levelled at their beloved game. 

Either have a little compassion with him or with hundreds of players who lag and crash because they opened the servers to everybody without restrictions and they overfilled.

There are several restrictions in place. There's the maximum server capacity for players being able to play online at a single period in time and it seems as though SE is also trying to balance the games population so that the servers are equally filled across the board.

You might want to re-read that. I am aware of restrictions in place.

So I'm reading what you stated, "they opened the servers to everybody without restrictions and they overfilled." However I stated that there were restrictions in place. How did I incorrectly read your post since you state there were no restrictions?

The second part was a hypothetical scenario as opposed to the current about which OP complains. 

It's also a hypothetical that wouldn't apply here as removing the locks would just mean slightly longer server queues. The number of people actually playing would not change, but those of us currently locked out would at least have an ETA of when we might finally be able to get in.

It is not a question of blaming the OP but if you want something like playing with your guild mates then you should plan accordingly.  If you are well versed in population problems in other games you know that many games that allowed transfers ended up with ghost servers later or overly crowded servers like GW 2 where every champion mob died so fast because too many people were on each server .If GW 2 had bothered to lock creation more people would have moved to other servers instead of clogging servers like Jade Quarry was .

There was a game that gave 110 hours and stuff as ETA I think it was Warhammer. Would that be acceptable then ?

• Mr.ZerooneMr.Zeroone Member Posts: 34
    Originally posted by Alberel

All of my friends are on Moogle from Phase 4 beta. Moogle was already locked for new characters when the game went live for early access... so basically I can't play with them. What exactly does SE expect me to do?

I know I'm not the only one too. The official forums have two lengthy threads on this already.

I have an advice to all of you who have this problem. Try create your character at different time when half of Europe is sleeping. Last time during Beta 4 I've had the same problem as OP and finally I've created my char  between 2-3 a.m. I guess that 5-7 a.m. is the right hour. Just try, it's not a big deal.

That's what queues and overflow servers are for. How does creating a character lag and crash a server if it is in a queue (technology they have) or on an overflow server (technology they don't)?

Overflow and queue does not work if they want to force you to another server which is part of population control. Naturally I would not implement that if I want people to relocate.

I know of whole guilds who moved during Warhammer time because of ridiculous queue times I was in one such guild.  If a developer is  harsh enough to want to control the population on the servers they will not allow stuff like overflow because it defeats the purpose.

Oh I'm fully aware of what the OP is going through. But it doesn't make it SE's fault because the OP procrastinated through the multiple chances they had to create a character on the same server as their friends. I also believe that I told them how they could find a solution. Whether or not they want to listen to me is their own ignorance.

Some servers came up locked and stayed locked. Moogle for example. Mind you I hear Moogle was locked for most of beta 4 too (hearsay only). Ironically as that server has been locked since it came up it is pretty safe to assume that the starting areas are less populated than other servers.

Actually it does make it there fault. If they had emailed users saying "you will need to create a character in beta 4 to ensure that you can play on the server you would like" that would have helped (though far from ideal). Of course they could have implemented technological solutions to deal with it (like ArenaNet did for example). In any case to blame the customer for not sitting up all night or for taking too long to roll there character is not only completely fallacious it really rather odious.

Well it's obvious that the op didn't even bother with P4. However, as I stated earlier I know that there were servers that were already locked. My guild had to change our plans from going to Odin to going to Cactuar. So why didn't the OP tell/ask their friends to change servers so that they could play on the same server? The OP could have saved their friends a whole lot of time had they told them long before they leveled up to "20" during P4.

And it's obvious by now that you're trolling as well. I've stated repeatedly now that I tried to play P4 and got the errors that locked a good deal of people out. The fact you repeatedly ignore this fact makes it pretty clear you're only in this thread to insult me for no reason.

I hope for your sake you get in later. Try at early morning like 3-4 am European time. I was listening to chat and quite a few folk say they cannot get even a single mob and are going to leave it because Moogle is too crowded. 

I also do not understand why is it wrong for SE to control the population on a server artificially by forcing people out by locking character creation if it leads to better distribution of population. I know of many many instances where people simple roll on a server because it is crowded as they want to stay on a popular server. Reasons like that should not be entertained.

Originally posted by kitarad
    Overflow and queue does not work if they want to force you to another server which is part of population control. Naturally I would not implement that if I want people to relocate.

Indeed. And that is the crux of the matter, it has nothing to do with performance issues or crowding in starter areas,  it is SE using a rather blunt instrument to force players on to other servers to try to balance the population longer term. Giving free transfers for a short period of time after launch would be a better solution, things would balance out naturally then.

Free transfers are are bad idea when Warhammer did it people were jumping servers and causing population imbalances on every server .In my opinion SE needs to be tough and stick to the control so that the servers get more spaced out .

Indeed. And that is the crux of the matter, it has nothing to do with performance issues or crowding in starter areas,  it is SE using a rather blunt instrument to force players on to other servers to try to balance the population longer term. Giving free transfers for a short period of time after launch would be a better solution, things would balance out naturally then.

Yes. Another reasonable voice.

SE should give FREE server transfers to SELECT servers shortly after launch.

Will they??

• JoekraJoekra Member Posts: 182

Yes. Another reasonable voice.

SE should give FREE server transfers to SELECT servers shortly after launch.

Will they??

They could include it in the whole "pay for 30 days of sub and receive a character modification token" that I heard about. Not saying it's necessarily true but I can see something like that happen if the demand is high. For now they will wait and see how it looks in about 1 week after release.

• EhllfhireEhllfhire Member UncommonPosts: 633
    I lol at the suckers who weren't paying attention ALL week when SE told everyone this would happen

Any graphical, audio, or gameplay restrictions not seen in other mmos but found in FFXIV can be blamed on one thing.
    PS3

Originally posted by Ehllfhire
    I lol at the suckers who weren't paying attention ALL week when SE told everyone this would happen

I lol at the suckers who don't bother to read the thread.

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743
    Originally posted by grimal

I agree.  The whole system is prohibiting friends from playing together.  Really really bad planning on their part.  Makes me wonder why I even am bothering to create a character for Early Access as it seems the best thing to do is to just wait it out until they get this mess sorted out.

Already has put a bad taste in my mouth.  Maybe I will just go and play GW2.

Didn't GW2 locked servers when they launched as well? I remember my friends joining different servers because this in that game as well.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

Searias... your pc is sick
  • Elegance92Elegance92 Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by Searias
    Originally posted by grimal

I agree.  The whole system is prohibiting friends from playing together.  Really really bad planning on their part.  Makes me wonder why I even am bothering to create a character for Early Access as it seems the best thing to do is to just wait it out until they get this mess sorted out.

Already has put a bad taste in my mouth.  Maybe I will just go and play GW2.

Didn't GW2 locked servers when they launched as well? I remember my friends joining different servers because this in that game as well.

they had free transfers at the time, though.

An easy fix right now would be to allow transfers off of locked (non legacy as well, for obvious reasons) realms.