Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Servers locked... again?!

Comments

• vidiotkingvidiotking Member Posts: 587

I know I'm a broken record at this point, but... It's a server population balance issue. It's not arbitrary, it's not a beta issue or a bug.

They are trying to spread out the population. 

If you're trying to get into Gilgamesh, you're probably s.o.l.

If I were running SE (haha) I would give FREE server transfers soon after release to SELECT servers so that friends/guilds(link shells in this game?) could all move enmasse to less populated servers.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,372
    Originally posted by Alberel
    Originally posted by Aldous.Huxley
    Originally posted by grimal
    Originally posted by vidiotking
    Originally posted by grimal

Maybe I will just go and play GW2.

To each their own but I would sooner stare at a locked server screen than play GW2.

If you have 2 monitors, you can play GW2 on one monitor while clicking the refresh button on FF on monitor 2... GW2 isn't all that bad. Untill 'end game' anyway.

They have a timer that only allows you to hit the refresh at an interval.  It's really rather frustrating.

I wasn't trying to start a GW2 vs FF debate here.  I was simply pointing out that the current "lock" they are employing is not a very good implementation to manage the queue.  After over thirteen years of the genre, you would think they could have chosen a better alternative.

I'm already annoyed with this game.  If this is pissing me off, I can only assume there are many others that feel the same way.

What, in your estimation, would be a better way to handle the overpopulation of servers

going into a large scale launch? An 8 hr queue is not a viable alternative, IMHO.

And sitting hitting the server refresh button for... going on four and a half hours now is somehow better?

The only difference between a queue and server locks is that the queue at least tells you roughly how long you have to wait.

Or you could roll on a different server for the time being instead of continuing to beat your head against a brick wall.

In other words waste my time on another server with a character I either won't keep, or will pay SE to transfer back to the server I wanted... yeah that sounds worth it.

Seriously, the 'play on another server' comments are ridiculous. All my friends are on Moogle, therefore I can and will only play on Moogle. Don't make it sound like I'm choosing to do this. It's either this or I don't play at all.

EDIT: Vidiot I get what you're saying but a queue would cover that already. When a server has a long queue those that don't care where they play will pick one with a shorter queue. Some of us don't have much choice and will still pick a locked server whatever they do. If they gave us a lengthy queue it would serve the same purpose without the frustration for those of us with no real choice here...

ER point of order, you are in fact choosing this based on your own self imposed limitations.

You don't "have" to play with your friends, you can go make new friends on a new server, if playing the game is more important to you than hanging with your friends.

I understand why you don't want to, but it's still a choice.  Wait long enough, and this server will open to you, but then your friends might be 50 levels ahead of you.

Sucks, but the only way around it was to be available to roll your character whenever your friends did, they somehow managed, while you missed the boat.

Or ....perhaps there will be paid character transfers, not the worse thing in the world you know.

At the end of the day it's up to you to figure out how you are going to deal with this situation, Square E isn't going to fix it for you.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by Four0Six
    Originally posted by Elegance92

Yeah there is that option... but the fact that this system even makes that the only real option just highlights how stupid it is.

Even worse is the fact THAT server might get locked while they are moving >_>

Indeed... right now all but one of the EU servers are locked. Last weekend there was actually a point when ALL of the EU servers were locked which... well... there are no words...

Seriously?

READ your OWN WORDS: "Last weekend there was actually a point when ALL of the EU servers were locked."

MEANING THAT AT SOME POINT THEY WILL UNLOCK.

Be patient.

Ask your friends to move, if they wont they aren't your friends.

I understand your frustration. Well not so much since it is mostly about tripe and not built with logic.

Yeah thanks for the needless insults. Shows great maturity there. All I can do is laugh at your comment about my friends. They've all spent 3 days playing so far... that's a LOT of progress to lose and I will not ask them to do that. Don't you dare judge them based on your own ignorance.

Yes the servers did eventually unlock last weekend, but we never knew when they would do so. Moogle was locked for well over 12 hours last Saturday. Either I sit at my computer hitting refresh all day long or I give up on early access and do something else. You see the problem? These server locks basically mean some players are being denied early access...

So take your controller and go home.

You are right though, SOE should let EVERYBODY in and have a crappy launch. Oh wait sarcasm again.

You want to insult my maturity, yet here you are with all the "Me me me  me me , let me me me me play where I I I I I want. Now now now now now now."

I have a kid and she stopped that behavior several years ago.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121

Originally posted by Mtibbs1989

There is no reason. They have login queues so any issues relating to having too many characters on a server are solved by that alone.

The official statement from SE is that it's to reduce congestion in starting areas... but Moogle was already locked before the servers went live so I find it hard to believe the starting zones are congested at all.

You could be right. They're probably just doing it to mess with you.

Ok then, explain why no other game ever has to do this? I can think of no reason why they should NEED to lock servers like this if they have server queues.

Now you're just assuming, there have been quite a few cases where games will keep people from making new characters on their servers. You're just blowing smoke.

They are usually games that do not have server queues. The entire point of server queues is to prevent over-population and it was introduced to replace server locks. It is better to be locked from the server with a timer telling you when you can play instead of nothing at all.

Originally posted by Elegance92

Yeah there is that option... but the fact that this system even makes that the only real option just highlights how stupid it is.

Even worse is the fact THAT server might get locked while they are moving >_>

Indeed... right now all but one of the EU servers are locked. Last weekend there was actually a point when ALL of the EU servers were locked which... well... there are no words...

Seriously?

READ your OWN WORDS: "Last weekend there was actually a point when ALL of the EU servers were locked."

MEANING THAT AT SOME POINT THEY WILL UNLOCK.

Be patient.

Ask your friends to move, if they wont they aren't your friends.

I understand your frustration. Well not so much since it is mostly about tripe and not built with logic.

Yeah thanks for the needless insults. Shows great maturity there. All I can do is laugh at your comment about my friends. They've all spent 3 days playing so far... that's a LOT of progress to lose and I will not ask them to do that. Don't you dare judge them based on your own ignorance.

Yes the servers did eventually unlock last weekend, but we never knew when they would do so. Moogle was locked for well over 12 hours last Saturday. Either I sit at my computer hitting refresh all day long or I give up on early access and do something else. You see the problem? These server locks basically mean some players are being denied early access...

So take your controller and go home.

You are right though, SOE should let EVERYBODY in and have a crappy launch. Oh wait sarcasm again.

You want to insult my maturity, yet here you are with all the "Me me me  me me , let me me me me play where I I I I I want. Now now now now now now."

I have a kid and she stopped that behavior several years ago.

Considering that you came in here throwing insults around when I was quite reasonably venting my frustrations in a non-aggressive manner (unlike yourself) I think it's quite clear to anyone else reading this which of us is being immature. I'm not even gonna bother with you any more.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
    Well you can sit here and cry a river or you can man/woman up and just make a character on a server that you and your friends both can play on. By the way, there's more than one reason for a company to limit the amount of players on a single server, it's called population balancing and obviously they don't want the vast majority of players going to a single server. Either way, I'm off to play my healer.

The 'play on another server' response has been rebutted multiple times throughout this thread. Have fun playing.

Alberel, I'd still like to know what server you're trying to get on? you could pm me if you'd rather... or you can jus say nty.
  • joe2721joe2721 Member UncommonPosts: 171

Right now on the server  selection all NA and EU are locked, in case any ones wondering.

Also the go play on another server  is really  a lame one  put yourself in  someone elses shoes for two seconds and maybe have some compassion and  empathy for they're frustration

Well you can sit here and cry a river or you can man/woman up and just make a character on a server that you and your friends both can play on. By the way, there's more than one reason for a company to limit the amount of players on a single server, it's called population balancing and obviously they don't want the vast majority of players going to a single server. Either way, I'm off to play my healer.

The 'play on another server' response has been rebutted multiple times throughout this thread. Have fun playing.

Yet here you are still complaining and not doing anything. The only person(s) to blame is yourself and your friend(s)/family.

What exactly should I do? Please tell me.

Should I ask all my friends to delete their open beta characters to reroll with me on a different server? Bear in mind all of the EU servers are cycling back and forth between locked and open every few minutes which means there's still no guarantee we'd all get onto the same server. I feel that would be incredibly selfish of me to ask, yet according to you they're all to blame... I guess you know them well?

Vidiotking I'm trying to get onto Moogle. I'm aware that it's the highest populated server in the EU but that is where my friends are and I do not intend to have them reroll just for my sake. Moogle has actually been locked ever since the servers came online. It has never been open today at all.

Originally posted by joe2721

Right now on the server  selection all NA and EU are locked, in case any ones wondering.

Also the go play on another server  is really  a lame one  put yourself in  someone elses shoes for two seconds and maybe have some compassion and  empathy for they're frustration

This^^ 

&

Don't feed the troll (although I'm guilty of this at times. Sometimes un knowingly, cause I can be so damn gullible).

grammer/vocab

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

All of my friends are on Moogle from Phase 4 beta. Moogle was already locked for new characters when the game went live for early access... so basically I can't play with them. What exactly does SE expect me to do?

I know I'm not the only one too. The official forums have two lengthy threads on this already.

What are your options? I had this same issue in GW2, 3 of us were all set on Jade Quarry but 1 friend was away on a business trip and had to wait a few days. so, we all had to pick a new server.  I mean, what do you expect?

• Bluefear77Bluefear77 Member UncommonPosts: 112

Why should I feel empathy towards their frustration? Should I feel sorry because they didn't access beta phase 4 which was open to damn near everyone who actually applied? Should I feel sorry because they didn't plan anything ahead? Why should I feel empathy towards the true issue here; laziness.

Maybe we weren't available the weekend of phase 4? Wow, what a crazy thought!

Why should I feel empathy towards their frustration? Should I feel sorry because they didn't access beta phase 4 which was open to damn near everyone who actually applied? Should I feel sorry because they didn't plan anything ahead? Why should I feel empathy towards the true issue here; laziness.

You do realise that a huge number of players could not play last weekend due to a bug that locked their accounts out right? Please also realise that there is no way to plan for server locks when SE communicates nothing about them...

Laziness? Nice try.

• joe2721joe2721 Member UncommonPosts: 171

Hows that healer coming along?

hmm karma maybe?

Sitting here listening to the OP complain about not getting onto the server is like listening to someone complain about getting stuck in rush hour traffic. You only have yourself to blame for not leaving early (creating a character on the same server with your friends) to beat the rush hour traffic.

I have to give credit where credit is due. This analogy makes SOME sense to me.

However, not everybody is able to get things done in a timely fasion for whatever reason.

My only hope is that either YOU never ask for sympathy or you're just having a little fun on the forums.

Originally posted by Bluefear77

Maybe we weren't available the weekend of phase 4? Wow, what a crazy thought!

Plan ahead or else it's your fault, people had more than ample time to properly create their characters (my guild 80 some odd people managed to register on our server with no issues so far.) SE gave people the ability to log into P4 to make their characters (obviously you didn't take advantage of that) and you could have logged in at 5:00 EST. Once again obviously you didn't take advantage of that. It's your fault and once again no one elses.

See my previous post. Also several of the worlds have been locked since the servers came up. You're just trolling at this point.

Nice to see all the servers are down now though. Now we're all in the same boat. Karma indeed.

I'm at work... who can fix THIS for me!?

Originally posted by vidiotking
    I'm at work... who can fix THIS for me!?

Well.. for shits and giggles you can quit. lol 

Thinkin' 'bout it. Again.