Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It offers nothing new

124»

Comments

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Ecoces

subscription costs? are you kidding me don't people realize what a ripoff these are?

Golden ! over quest givers - are we back in 2002?

and that combat ugh so slow and boring ... I wouldn't touch this game with a 10 foot pole.

Yeah why pay for quality when you can get shit for free?

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

subscription costs? are you kidding me don't people realize what a ripoff these are?

and that combat ugh so slow and boring ... I wouldn't touch this game with a 10 foot pole.

No, we're back in 2005, aka, when the entire fucking genre became about quest grinding, thanks to WoW.

Is it such a surprise to see this feature when every other WoW clone has it?

Originally posted by DavisFlight

No, we're back in 2005, aka, when the entire fucking genre became about quest grinding, thanks to WoW.

Try the game, you might find it's not a quest hub to hub grind. I have spent the entire day leveling my various crafting. Not a single quest hub.

It's amazing the level of assumption that goes on. People hear "Game offers nothing new" then automatically assume "hub grind"

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

LOL @ Quality, oh you fanboys are a funny bunch. you can make up all the excuses you want about "oh free to play games communities are garbage." or "with subscription fees you know the game is quality". 

Guild wars 2 - no subscription - quality game (queue the Guild wars 2 haters)

WoW - subscription based - terrible community

the fact of the matter is that subscriptions on these games were meant to offset server costs back in the day mostly. however server costs are very small now yet they are still charging a subscription fee. they are ripping you off, subscription fees are not needed anymore.

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789

LOL @ Quality, oh you fanboys are a funny bunch. you can make up all the excuses you want about "oh free to play games communities are garbage." or "with subscription fees you know the game is quality". 

the fact of the matter is that subscriptions on these games were meant to offset server costs back in the day mostly. however server costs are very small now yet they are still charging a subscription fee. they are ripping you off, subscription fees are not needed anymore.

This is a battle of Opinions... IMO Subs are making a comeback with FFXIV, Wildstar, and TESO. Two of which have HUGE established fan bases. A Sub ensures that the whole experience outside of paid expacs is there for all instead of features being locked in a cash shop.

And again this is all opinion based. I like GW2, some would argue that is not a quality game. This is an argument no one will win as it cannot be won. There will always be people like myself who prefer sub then there will always be people like you who prefer B2P or F2P. Why is that such a mind boggling thing for you?

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• Jairoe03Jairoe03 Member Posts: 732

It's amazing the level of assumption that goes on. People hear "Game offers nothing new" then automatically assume "hub grind"

Is it that amazing or a general accepted that some aren't as educated as others? Does this mean they don't have a right to their own opinion...not at all. Plus in the end, who's to say theirs is more correct than ours, maybe it might be in the end. I do wish for a little more support for a dissenting opinion otherwise I find it not worth my time to respond to those that don't seem to want to really attempt any meaningful discussion.

In response to the topic as a whole, FFXIV already tried to do something inventive in 1.0 and it didn't work so the second time around, they couldn't afford to do that obviously. They are currently trying to salvage their losses and taking the things around MMO's that do work and combining things them into a single game which is (IMO of course) an incredibly smart move because I think it has put them back on the map when otherwise, most MMO's with that type of launch wouldn't even have had this sort of revival. They potentially have something really great here but I won't jump the game and say its the best MMO around, only time and retained/newly acquired subs can tell post-launch.

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630
    Originally posted by BadSpock

The game is just fun. Plain and simple.

It's a game world full of characters and adventures I want to see and experience.

That's enough.

And you hit it in one. Gamplay and fun.... All this rubbish about innovation.

I just want gameplay and all the lame features added to appease people with an IQ below 90 removed, then we should be back to games where you can invest a couple of years and have a decent community.

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    Originally posted by Shadowguy64

I'd rather have the poorly thought out but interesting original back than this by the numbers WoW clone.

Why bother? I mean honestly why bother?

Because it's fun. Just not to you. Is that so hard to understand? /rollseyes

Is it more fun than the other games that are identical to it, and have had more years to polish and add content? I doubt it.

Is it fun enough to make people want to play it more than a few weeks before they get bored because its the same thing they've been doing for 8 years? Doubt it.

Themeparks have no staying power.

Your solution is to...play nothing because your dream MMO doesn't exist. 

That solution is not a solution. That's a dream. 

Originally posted by Jairoe03

Is it that amazing or a general accepted that some aren't as educated as others? Does this mean they don't have a right to their own opinion...not at all. Plus in the end, who's to say theirs is more correct than ours, maybe it might be in the end. I do wish for a little more support for a dissenting opinion otherwise I find it not worth my time to respond to those that don't seem to want to really attempt any meaningful discussion.

In response to the topic as a whole, FFXIV already tried to do something inventive in 1.0 and it didn't work so the second time around, they couldn't afford to do that obviously. They are currently trying to salvage their losses and taking the things around MMO's that do work and combining things them into a single game which is (IMO of course) an incredibly smart move because I think it has put them back on the map when otherwise, most MMO's with that type of launch wouldn't even have had this sort of revival. They potentially have something really great here but I won't jump the game and say its the best MMO around, only time and retained/newly acquired subs can tell post-launch.

What is it that you are saying is an opinion? It's not an opinion that FF14 ARR is designed with numerous options for leveling.

• BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333

I was waiting for someone to say this, kudos to you OP. The game is a quest grinder with really good graphics. It's unworthy of a monthly fee or a box purchase, turn and run before you waste your money. The combat is dull 1,2,3,4 along with the global cool down and the "End game" will only last you a week at most. Oh yeah, and instead of waiting 30 mins in Jeuno for a white mage, you wait 30 minutes for a CNJ wherever you like. If you're on your story quest that requires a dungeon, well good luck time to grind while you wait. Oh yeah, they also changed out spell names to Fire II etc because English players are too stupid to use Fira/firaga.

I don't think we're stupid, I think we deserve the traditional names.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Well FFXIV has one thing over the mmo games I have played in the past 5 years as that is a immersion factor for me and it's coming from a guy like myself that has never even touch one piece of FF game in this last decade.

Maybe I am enjoying it because it is new to me, but the game feels very alive at this point and there are plenty of players around to join up with. I am having a good experience overall so far.

Originally posted by Betakodo

I was waiting for someone to say this, kudos to you OP. The game is a quest grinder with really good graphics. It's unworthy of a monthly fee or a box purchase, turn and run before you waste your money. The combat is dull 1,2,3,4 along with the global cool down and the "End game" will only last you a week at most. Oh yeah, and instead of waiting 30 mins in Jeuno for a white mage, you wait 30 minutes for a CNJ wherever you like. If you're on your story quest that requires a dungeon, well good luck time to grind while you wait. Oh yeah, they also changed out spell names to Fire II etc because English players are too stupid to use Fira/firaga.

I don't think we're stupid, I think we deserve the traditional names.

I took a detour today after phase 4. I'd been leveling an Arc to go to Summoner. I decided to give a different class a try just to see how it plays.I learned Gladiator and started leveling. I intentionally avoided taking any quests outside of the actual class quests so I would still have them for when I level the Thaumaturge. So, right from the start, leveling without quest grinding was as fast if not faster than doing the quests. So you are telling me it's a quest grinder when I know it is not. The fact that you either chose to grind quests or were unaware of your options is on you.

Everything else you say is either subjective or questionable at best.  I mean, your wait times....that was beta right?

Also, I bet it never occurred to you that some of us don't define our MMO experience based on it's combat system. Or at least not entirely.

• TheRealDarkeusTheRealDarkeus Member UncommonPosts: 314
    I have been enjoying myself.  That counts for something.  :)
  • zegerothzegeroth Member Posts: 22
    While I do think their are subtle small things in FF14, it is follwing basic RPG rules. Being "new" and not focusing on details has cost the industry billions. It is the details that will always make or break any product whether it is a car, book, piece if Art, or an MMO. Final Fantasy is a great product and will be a strong for a long time.
  • Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360
    Originally posted by TheRealDarkeus
    I have been enjoying myself.  That counts for something.  :)

That's the one thing that matters man. Enjoying yourself and knowing that this is the game for you.

• DamediusDamedius Member Posts: 346

Also, I bet it never occurred to you that some of us don't define our MMO experience based on it's combat system. Or at least not entirely.

It never occurred  to me. If a game has boring or clunky combat I can't force myself to play it. Think about it. It's probably something you spend most of your time doing. If that sucks I'm not going to force myself to play it. That was a huge part of why I hated the original iteration. 

Don't get me wrong I could list a ton of other reasons why the last one sucked but I might have been able to ignore that if the combat was as awful as it was.

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030

Oh look, another one of these threads...../yawn...

Kthxbai

• SnarkRitterSnarkRitter Member Posts: 316
    Oh yes, features-wise, WoW at launch was not innovative, but the huge innovation that FF XIV fanboys here failed to see was WoW's design philosophy. MMORPGs at that time required a fuckton of grind, forced grouping, heavy death penalty,etc....and WoW's innovation was that they see what was wrong with the genre at the time and erased or aggrevated those problems ((kinda like GW2, and both are massive success) and casualized the game. While FF XIV has literally zero innovation, both features-wise and design philosophy wise. We'll see how successful this game will be when the shiny paint wears off.
  • EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879
    Originally posted by DSWBeef

This is a battle of Opinions... IMO Subs are making a comeback with FFXIV, Wildstar, and TESO. Two of which have HUGE established fan bases. A Sub ensures that the whole experience outside of paid expacs is there for all instead of features being locked in a cash shop.

And again this is all opinion based. I like GW2, some would argue that is not a quality game. This is an argument no one will win as it cannot be won. There will always be people like myself who prefer sub then there will always be people like you who prefer B2P or F2P. Why is that such a mind boggling thing for you?

its not an opinion that GW2 is a quality game, its a fact. the only people that don't think GW2 is a quality game are those that didn't like it. Its OK to not like a game but to say its not a quality game just puts you in the realm of a pure hater.

I don't like sub fees because they are no longer needed as i described.

• SnarkRitterSnarkRitter Member Posts: 316
    Regarding TESO, if you don't see it as a cash grab at launch before the inevitable transition to B2P/F2P, you're not very smart. Yeah, I would say it as a fact because it's so obvious.

its not an opinion that GW2 is a quality game, its a fact. the only people that don't think GW2 is a quality game are those that didn't like it. Its OK to not like a game but to say its not a quality game just puts you in the realm of a pure hater.

I don't like sub fees because they are no longer needed as i described.

I don't think you truly understand the difference between fact and opinion. Or that your opinions are really not facts. How can there be any discussion after that?

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

Try the game, you might find it's not a quest hub to hub grind. I have spent the entire day leveling my various crafting. Not a single quest hub.

You leveling your crafting has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not the game is a quest hub game. I can't think of any games that uses quest hubs with crafting. Its the main part of the game we worry about.

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458
    To me GW2 is a better game and guess what?It's free because I already own it.Paying $12 a month for a game subpar to GW2,Rift,TSW and other's,no thank's.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark