Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It offers nothing new

GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

I've seen that argument quite a bit in threads talking about FF14. I've seen it used from both sides of the fence. When someone calls it a "WoW Clone" It offers nothing new. Someone else might defend it and say Sure it doesn't offer anything new but it does what it does very well. It's clear that the point of ARR was never to offer an innovative MMO experience but rather a solid engaging one with plenty of things to do.

And while none of it's mechanics, individually are unique, I'd still suggest that FF14 does do things that have never been done before in terms of an overall experience. We have a crafting system on par with traditional sandbox like games. We have a class system that is also much like a sandbox's. In that you don't need atls and one character can potentially do anything in the game that is available for content. I could probably dig around of other examples, but that's not the point.

The point is, Have we as gamers in general, adopted a misconception due to a stream of failed games, that if an MMO doesn't offer something "innovative" that it cannot be a good game?  The "Same Old Same Old" is it bad? What is the "Same Old Same Old"? Are we talking "Same Old" about post 2008 games or Pre 2008? I see a difference. Because in terms of the "feel" for this game, it does present that "Same Old" but to me, it feels like it goes back to an earlier point in MMO history than what we have seen in the past 5 or 6 years.

To me, this is the game I've been looking for since I 1st canceled my WoW sub back in Wrath. So in that sense, it may not offer anything new, but it does offer something that hasn't been offered in years.

Comments

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    The only genre begging for innovation is MMOs.  And, I think it's mainly due the definition of MMO getting more and more broad over the years.  So it now entails every type of gamer under the sun(and/or in a basement for arguments sake :P) basically.  Thus it has to please everyone and thus has to innovate every type of game into one.  Which is just never going to happen.
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Originally posted by NetSage
    The only genre begging for innovation is MMOs.  And, I think it's mainly due the definition of MMO getting more and more broad over the years.  So it now entails every type of gamer under the sun(and/or in a basement for arguments sake :P) basically.  Thus it has to please everyone and thus has to innovate every type of game into one.  Which is just never going to happen.

Sure it will, we just need The World(.hack//sign) then everyone will be happy.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• robhyp10robhyp10 Member Posts: 13

I hate to bring it up, but I will use wow as my example.  Wow was never inventive.  What wow did was take some ideas from else where, and put them together in a very enjoyable way.  There is something about FF14 that has that feel for me.  During beta I created a toon in Ul durn (I know I am miss spelling that).  I was going back and forth doing the beginning quests.  I started to notice the music in the game, and had to stop and listen to it.  That is something done right when background music makes you stop what you are doing to listen.  Wow has always understood it was the small things that made a game great.  It seems that final fantasy has that philosophy as well.  No game is perfect.  And we mmo players can be a jaded bunch.  My time so far in FF14 has made me forget these qualities in me, and just have fun playing a game again.  That is why I will be paying a sub for this game.

Now ask me down the road when I want to level a new class and cant find any quests, you might get a different story.

Originally posted by Sephiroso

Sure it will, we just need The World(.hack//sign) then everyone will be happy.

Yes, Virtual reality may change it but we aren't anywhere near the levels we see in .hack or SAO.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

The game is just fun. Plain and simple.

It's a game world full of characters and adventures I want to see and experience.

That's enough.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • nottunednottuned Member Posts: 92
    Most games don't radically change. I still enjoy a good game of checkers or kickball.
  • Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    If "New" was always better, we wouldn't have "favorites".
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by BadSpock

It's a game world full of characters and adventures I want to see and experience.

That's enough.

BadSpock is right, the world looks alive and amazing. Sure, Square-Enix isn't spouting innovation. I really don't care. All the innovation every other MMO has released recently are just gimmicks anyways.

Exactly. I'm tired of games based on gimmicks instead of based on a solid core of gameplay.

Games based on gimmicks fail. Games based on a solid core of gameplay tend to succeed.

• BigmamajamaBigmamajama Member Posts: 198

Neither do movies, but like games their are movies done bad and movies done good,  FF14 is a game well done.

I actually believed the hype Sony was spewing with EQN, all  I have seen is gimmicks.  And its not a wait and see scenario.  They are honestly doing nothing I haven't seen done in a single player game, and just tossing in other players doesn't making it new.

So until someone actually does reinvent the MMO Ill be happy with a good old fashion well made P2P game.

• SephastusSephastus Member UncommonPosts: 455

OP, I see where you are coming from, but you are wrong in that it offers "Nothing New". Be more specific: "We have seen similar gameplay in other games."

FFXIV does offer something new: A new story, and a new world.

Many of us like being in a new world, where there is a sense of discovery, and the promise of being something better than others have achieved. We know we will probably not be the person with the best stuff at the end of the game, but while we are beginning the game, we can all dream and imagine and make conjectures... just like people that buy the lottery tickets. It is highly likely that they will not win, but while they have the ticket in their hands, they can dream, and they can plan, and they can feel good. EI, they can have fun. Once they reach the wall of reality, they put the ticket/gameworld down, and anxiously wait for the next lottery (game) in the horizon.

While I do understand this concept... I still like FFXIV, because, unfortunately, I have been a fan of the series since some of the original FF games. I just like their storyworld, and would love to participate in it.

Originally posted by Four0Six

You can favorite unreleased games here ;) :P.

I just can't wait to have a house and spend probably way too much of my time decorating and furnishing it.

I haven't done that since... UO?

I really love FFXIV so much because I can play it so casually.

Playing an AAA quality, polished, well crafted and brilliantly executed MMO on my PS3 from my couch (using a bluetooth keyboard for chat) is just...

The most relaxing and fun MMO experience I've had in a long, long, long time.

I HOPE the skill cap in this game is at a point where I won't feel held back by the PS3 controller (and eventually PS4) for stuff like raiding, PvP but we'll see.

That right there - the PS3 version and how good it is and feels - is reason enough to call FFXIV:ARR new and innovative and fresh to me.

FFXI was awful in the controls / feel department, PC or console. Defiance felt clunky on PS3. Never played DCUO but never had interest (not a fan of superhero MMO sub-genre.)

• StuckovStuckov Member UncommonPosts: 101

I mean look at the First Person shooter genre. There has not been a change to Call of Duty for 10+ years except just new story but it still goes and becomes best selling game with hordes sleeping outside stores to buy it every time it comes out. 

A good game can be enjoyed for just that, being good. 

• SephastusSephastus Member UncommonPosts: 455

I just can't wait to have a house and spend probably way too much of my time decorating and furnishing it.

There will be housing in FFXIV:ARR? Now I am really happy I decided to not look up information about the game till launch!

I honestly hope It is like EQ2, where they just give you an empty house, and you can put anything anywhere! If they do it Ala Monster hunter, where you can only place items in certain places... I will be sorely disappointed.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by Four0Six

You can favorite unreleased games here ;) :P.

I was trying for a wider analogy.

I know I'm just being a smart ass.  Sorry my dad is a sarcastic ass hole so I probably get it from him :D.
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Best crafting/gathering since SWG. Also personal vendors and player neighborhoods. It may not be new, but damn it is hard to find.

• blazeicerblazeicer Member UncommonPosts: 72

I don’t think this game was made to be "different" it was made to invite FF fans to play a game with a story that they all grew up on. From the Hype that is built by FF fans it will eventually make their way over to new comers that wants to see what all the hype is about. It was built to create a domino effect, not to create a new genre of MMORPG

This is my opinion.. So smartasses plz, Carry on....

• AlamarethAlamareth Member UncommonPosts: 570

Innovation doesn't mean you come up with a groundbreaking new feature.  Repackaging existing features in a clean and more effective way is also innovation.  Blizzard gave us an explicit lesson on that with WoW.

Gamers have a much higher expectation of innovation than pretty much any other product category.  Most innovations are the repackaging of existing features to give the customer an enhanced experience.  Yes, some people come out with totally new things but that isn't where the bulk of the business is.

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009

I am a little suprised that people are in love with yet another wow clone themepark...A clone with far fewer skills and character builds, and an ancient combat engine.

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

I like it because of the fact I'll be able to level up all the classes on one toon.   That'll be fun to me for quite a while, especially early on when while I'm doing it, the game will be loaded with people.

I'm looking for a game to tide me over until EQN is actually ready.   This looks like it can do the trick.

End game? who cares. =P

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    wow clone being used for this game is ridiculous.  why because there are quest markers?  The game in general is theme parkish but so was Vanguard.  Did people call it a wow clone?  the way classes operate, the crafting, story focus, etc are all way different then the generic themepark model.  You want generic themepark play RIFT, that's a wow clone. 
  • RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

That's enough.

And that's why I feel sorry for some people that call themselves gamer. There is more truth in BadSpock statement then most people know. When I check out a game or try it out. I'm not looking for it to be inventive. I'm not looking for it to reinvent the wheel. When I go into a game I'm simply asking myself one thing. Is it fun?

That's the main reason why while so many people will be here on forums crying about something. I'll actually be playing something. I'm looking for just one thing in my games. Fun. For me FFXIV ARR nailed it.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• JoekraJoekra Member Posts: 182
    Originally posted by Roin

That's enough.

And that's why I feel sorry for some people that call themselves gamer. There is more truth in BadSpock statement then most people know. When I check out a game or try it out. I'm not looking for it to be inventive. I'm not looking for it to reinvent the wheel. When I go into a game I'm simply asking myself one thing. Is it fun?

That's the main reason why while so many people will be here on forums crying about something. I'll actually be playing something. I'm looking for just one thing in my games. Fun. For me FFXIV ARR nailed it.

Have to agree, rather have a game that is fun and doesn't do anything new than a game that tries to be the revolution of mmorpgs and ends up being boring after a week.